Start by marking “Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)” as Want to Read:
Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)

Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry #12)

Suburban mom Jane Jeffry and her equally green-thumbless best friend Shelley Nowack could kill plastic plants. But their scheme to improve themselves vegetatively dies on the vine when the celebrated botanist slated to teach a class at the local Community Center is mysteriously beaten into a coma -- and her replacement turns out to be Dr. Stewart Eastman, an arrogant, ...more
Published October 2nd 2001 by Avon (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mulch Ado About Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mulch Ado About Nothing

Dharia Scarab
Nov 15, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Saadia
Oct 02, 2011 Saadia rated it really liked it
Well, yes, it is just a week out of a suburban mom's life. She gets a cast at the beginning and clumps about through the story. Nothing too gory or gripping, yet the pace is quick, witty and realistic. Just an imaginative woman wondering about a mystery then a death and building theories with her guy-friend, the police investigator.

I kept wondering how Jane could afford to live, as she obviously did not have a job and spent all her time with her neighbor and best friend. Finally I found out on p
Sharon
Sep 11, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it
A couple of suburban housewives decide to join a gardening class, only to find that their neighbor who was to lead the class was attacked in her home and is now in the hospital. The substitute, another, although part time resident of their neighborhood takes over the class and nearly bores everyone to death, although that was not the cause of the murder that takes place. Jane Jeffry and Shelley Nowack are amateur sleuths who set out solve the case in spite of Jane's broken foot (which she ...more
Karen GoatKeeper
Jul 06, 2016 Karen GoatKeeper rated it liked it
I never could really relate to Jane, the main character, with her bickering relationship with her next door neighbor/best friend. The other characters were very different both from people I know and from each other. Jane was so involved with her own problems of a broken foot and teenagers off for the summer to really get to know these other characters who figure into the suspect list.
Jane and her friend have enrolled in a gardening class out of boredom as neither is much interested in gardening.
Ann
Jan 26, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
Jane jeffries has flowers delivered to her by mistake. She and her friend, Shelley, take the flowers to the person they were intended for and come upon a crime scene. Julie Jackson, a local microbiologist, has been attacked in her home and is in a coma. Jane takes a fall and breaks a bone in her foot. She is placed in a cast and is learning to manipulate crutches. She and Shelley attend the class on beginning botany that Ms. Jackson was going to teach at the local community college. They meet ...more
George
Oct 28, 2008 George rated it liked it
A Jane Jeffry mystery. Single mother Jane and her friend Natalie again find themselves mixed up with an assault and murder investigation. This time, Jane and Natalie sign up for a community gardening class to see if they can learn anything which would help them develop gardens in their yards. The slated instructor for the classes is assaulted prior to the class so is unable to do the sessions. Her replacement turns up dead after a couple of sessions and Jane and Natalie try to unravel what ...more
Marti
Mar 16, 2010 Marti rated it it was ok
This was a nice mild mystery--no blood and gore, or lurking villains. Jane Jeffry and her friend Shelley Nowack are not gardeners, but they take a gardening course even though they know nothing about it, and get the garden center to make them instant gardens, since the class is traveling around to view each other's efforts. The original teacher gets badly coshed before class starts and evil befalls another of the group. Not only that, but Jane has badly injured her foot during a curb accident, ...more
Doug Morelly
Apr 07, 2013 Doug Morelly rated it liked it
The Jane Jeffry series is solid, sometimes funny, occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, most often light-hearted, not particularly suspenseful, usually a little quirky -- just clean fun, pleasurable reading. Generally believable characters. Stays away from crude language. This particular book is no exception. Enjoyable, fairly fast read. Each book can stand on its own, but I recommend the whole series.
Hannah
Feb 26, 2008 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapterbooks
This is the book that I read for my last book report. It was a good story about two mothers (Jane and Shelley) who get themselves in the middle of a mystery. The woman who is supposed to be teaching the summer botany class that Jane and Shelley are signed up for, is suddenly beaten into a coma. Throughout the book Jane's friend Mel (a detective) is working on solving the case. I was pretty suprised about how the book turned out in the end when they find out who did it!
Kevin

Charles Jones - classmate, Martha's neighbor

Arnold Waring - classmate

Katie JJ daughter
Mike JJ son

Good story about a gardening class gone awry.
Cindy
Dec 17, 2009 Cindy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: only fans of the author
Shelves: mysteries
I usually enjoy Jill Churchill, but I found this one to be one of her weakest books. For one thing, she's already used the community school idea in her book, A Quiche Before Dying, and with much better results. You'd think they would ban her from the school after that one! Maybe it was because her strong secondary characters were barely mentioned in this one. What's up with Mel? What about her kids and mother-in-law? Check it out from the library or borrow it from a friend before you buy it.
Val
Jan 11, 2016 Val rated it liked it
A Jane Jeffry mystery. Jane and friend/neighbour Shelley decide to go on a botany course. Before even attending the instructor is badly beaten and is in a coma. The replacement professor is boring and the other attendees are of more interest to Jane and Shelley. When a second body is found, the whole class comes under suspicion.
Gives some great gardening tips. Interesting mystery.
Rebekkila
This is the first Berkeley Prime Mystery I have enjoyed. I think a lot of it has to do with the gardening. Even though I left the climate that the book takes place in, I found the gardening ideas interesting. The mystery itself plodded along at a slow pace and I will admit I skipped 20 pages to get to the last ten. I was ready for the book to end.
Kyrie
Jan 08, 2011 Kyrie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jane and Shelley take a botany class in an effort to quit having black thumbs. Instead they find a body in compost. I don't know why the local police don't just follow these two around 24/7 to solve all their cases. Actually, this one was pretty good, more on par with her first few books.
Martina Kopel
Feb 17, 2015 Martina Kopel rated it it was amazing
I would never of thought to Rent a garden. You go girl! Red marigolds! Black Forest Cake! All ingredients for murder.
Donna
Dec 08, 2008 Donna rated it liked it
Recommended to Donna by: Cheryl
Jane and Shelley take a garden class. The instructor gets murdered before the class begins. The substitute instructor then gets murdered. Jane and Shelley are trying to solve the murder.
Krishna Eluri
Jan 14, 2013 Krishna Eluri rated it liked it
Its an ok book.. Not much deduction about it.. It doesn't deserve the Agatha award, if you ask me.. Just a sudden smell leads for a complete solution of the mystery. Not really worth it.
Melissa
Sep 05, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
I had just finished a huge novel and wanted something light, fun and easy to read this fit the bill perfectly!
Cindy
Nov 09, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok
This was just too slow for me. A lot to do with family dynamics and not enough mystery. It was like the author was trying to create something from nothing....the title is appropriate.
Mary Newcomb
Jane and Shelley take a gardening class. Who knew it would turn so deadly? Or that they would put all the pieces together?
Susan
Jul 26, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. Quick, very light mystery I read while waiting for library books to come in. OK for mindless read, but nothing special about it.
Carol
Jul 12, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
Another Jane Jeffry mystery. This one was not as fun to read for some reason. I love the friendship between Jane and her neighbor Shelley and the craziness they get into.
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2010
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2008
C
C rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2013
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Carolyn Purvlicis
Carolyn Purvlicis rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Gwen
Gwen rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Cindy Messmore
Cindy Messmore rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2016
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12)
  • Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters, #7)
  • The Puzzled Heart (A Kate Fansler Mystery #12)
  • Knitting Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #11)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast, #20)
  • Death by Sudoku
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)