Start by marking “Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)” as Want to Read:
Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)

Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry #9)

Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry Mysteries, No. 9)
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published November 1st 1998 by Avon Books (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fear of Frying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear of Frying

Kathryn
Nov 10, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
For a light and quick weekend read, Jill Churchill's Fear of Frying fit the bill. For those of you unfamiliar with Churchill's Jane Jeffrys series (of which this is the ninth installment), amateur sleuth Jane is a single mother who likes to cook and/or eat, and has a detective boyfriend (a no-show in this story) and a best friend named Shelley. Despite the title, Jane doesn't do much cooking here, though it does give a hint with regards to the murder weapon of choice.

Along with various other peo
Sara
Aug 21, 2009 Sara rated it it was ok
Reviewers had made comparisons to Agatha Christie, but I didn’t get that from this book. This is the ninth book in the series, I havent read the others but I found this book to be bo-ring!

Jane and her gal pal are off for a pseudo-vacation in the wilderness...Only they are with the school board to help determine if this conference center will be a good place to send their kids. There are classes and food and naps and that’s the excitement of it all (seriously). Jane and her friend do discover a b
Dharia Scarab
Nov 12, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Jan 21, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Each book in a cozy mystery series usually has a theme and the theme of Fear of Frying was summer camp. Having been a camp counselor in my youth, this was of particular interest to me and I wasn't disappointed with the treatment it was given. Fear of Frying veered away from the series usual format, instead focusing on Jane and Shelley and leaving the usual supporting characters behind. While necessary for the theme of the novel to be realistic, the lack of familiar interaction made Fear of Fryin ...more
Jan 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
The 9th book in the Jane Jeffry Mystery Series.

This was a good one! It seems that when I feel the series is starting to get a little stale - the next book in line changes my mind and I get all excited about the books again.

In this one Jane and Shelly go on a camping trip in the Wisconsin woods. Jane finds one of the guests murdered at the camp fire with a frying pan - but when she comes back with help the victim is gone and nobody believes Jane.

When I think of the books for this series this o
Darla
Feb 03, 2009 Darla rated it did not like it
I just tried to read this one, as I loved the title & was looking for some light/ funny reading material. However, Churchill's writing style and technique made me think of the old "Dick and Jane" readers. Maybe I'll try it another time, but chapter 1 was as much time as I was willing to give this one last night.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Apr 26, 2009 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dee Renee by: Mom
Shelves: 2010
I like cozy mysteries, but this one came across as too cutesy for me. This is the nineth installment in an award-winning series and I have no desire to read the first eight, based on my boredom with this novel.
I see many other readers enjoy it so I'm glad this author found her audience. Excuse me for wandering into the group.
Ann
Jun 01, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
Jane Jeffry and her friend Shelly travel to a wilderness camp with the local school board to see if their program would be beneficial to the students in their town. Things begin to go wrong the very first night when Jane and Shelly find a body but then the "body" turns up alive the next day. This was a good story and one I have missed in this series.
Love Flowers
Dec 25, 2013 Love Flowers rated it it was amazing
This spine-chilling thriller is a bestseller for people who like crime stories.

This book is for sale on eBay:
Kyrie
Jan 08, 2011 Kyrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Jane and Shelly go to check out a potential summer camp and find a corpse, which disappears and turns up alive later. They come across as crazy - imagine. So they try to solve the situation before anyone actually ends up dead, and of course someone does and it's just strange.
Stacielynn
Sep 11, 2014 Stacielynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
i don't like Jane Jeffrey or her sidekick. don't know why i bother with this series. generally i don't, but sometimes i poick one up and i am never pleasantly surprised. all of the whining about the weather, the rain, the cold. two women i wouldn't enjoy spending time with.
Carol
Mar 20, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
This is a Jane Jeffry mystery and was not quite up to the usual quality. The ending was a little vague and some parts were not tied up as usual, but the story was good and the friends solved the mystery as usual. What fun they have together!
Pat
Dec 29, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jane and Shelley go to a camp in Wisconsin to check it out. There are real nice bathrooms but lots of problems.
Evil twin - both are murdered.
Good.
Elaine
Jul 18, 2008 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Easy, relaxing, and fun to read with another of her clever titles. Don't expect a philosophically deep investigation of anything. It's just a good read.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, cozy
#9 in the Jane Jeffry mystery series, this is great cozy series. Jane is a widow with a teenage son. She and her neighbor Shelley keep getting mixed up in murder.
Martina Kopel
Feb 05, 2015 Martina Kopel rated it it was amazing
Wow! A camping trip, environmentalist, crafts and a twin murder. Jane and Shelly are once again in the middle. I picked the wrong murderer, but I was glad.
Valerie
Jun 13, 2007 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluff, mystery
This was a quick and easy read. There were no big themes or morals -- just a fluffy mystery. I enjoyed it.
Britani
Mar 16, 2013 Britani rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Excellent-they go to a children's camp to evaluate if the students should attend there. A murder takes place and they have to solve it.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
easy read
Mary Newcomb
A trip to evaluate a site for a summer school program turns deadly. Jane and Shelley, intrepid sleuths that they are, help to sort things out for the local sheriff.

Jada
Jada rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Audra
Audra rated it really liked it
May 29, 2008
Fuzzball
Fuzzball rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Taryn
Taryn rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Lbaker
Lbaker rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Jane Franklin
Jane Franklin rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Trina Knox
Trina Knox rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Rumeur
Rumeur rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)