Start by marking “Love for Sale (Grace & Favor, #4)” as Want to Read:
Love for Sale (Grace & Favor, #4)

Love for Sale (Grace & Favor #4)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  430 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Unknown Binding, 272 pages
Published February 24th 2004 by Avon Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Love for Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love for Sale

Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cozy readers, depression era
As much as I like the Grace and Favor books, this one just didn't live up to the others as much. But it is still good and I do recommend.

It was a weird, convoluted read, and while you may pick the "bad guy" out early on, and the reasons behind it, it still takes you for a mental rollercoaster of a ride trying to sort out the stories.

Blurb from Author's site:

LOVE FOR SALE
Sister and brother Lily and Robert Brewster raised in the lap of luxury, may no longer have a penny to their names. But at le
Erin
Jun 02, 2012 Erin rated it did not like it
Where to begin...

This book had promise, but its elementary plot and slow progression disappointed me. I enjoy mysteries that keep you guessing, that have a hint or a clue on every page. There seemed to be a lot of superfluous detail in this story (two pathetically obvious romances, the voting stuff), which acted as nothing but a distraction and added nothing to the "mystery" at hand.

I kept hoping things would pick up, but after one of Grace & Favor's guests is murdered, the obvious scapegoat
Pat
Jan 28, 2015 Pat rated it liked it
If Lily and Robert Brewster no longer have a penny to their names, at least they have a roof over their heads in this bleak Depression November of 1932 -- the sprawling estate of their late great-uncle in Voorburg-on-Hudson. But then a badly disguised stranger offers to pay generously to hold a very secret meeting there shortly before the national election. And soon one of the mystery guests is murdered in his bath, a local grade school teacher goes missing, and a little boy is kidnapped. With P ...more
Marjorie
Mar 16, 2015 Marjorie rated it really liked it
Robert and Lily certainly are living different lives than they did before the crash of 1929. They were once Park Ave. Socialites, who had been reduced to living in a cold water flat. Now they live upstate in a mansion turned boardinghouse. According to their late uncle's will, they have to live there for 10 years and earn their own living before they can inherit the estate. They find all kinds of ways to earn a living and help their neighbor's as well. They rent out some rooms for a weekend to a ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This is very light reading, but cute. I'm reading a heavy book about Russia, so this is a little relief. Grace and Favor is a mansion with strings attached. Robert and Lily were two rich young siblings at the time of Stock Market crash. Their wealthy father lost everything and killed himself. They were penniless when an uncle died and left them a mansion with a lot of strings. They have to stay there for 10 years, get jobs and give back to the town. They turn Grace and Favor into a boarding hous ...more
Janice
Jun 10, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
A friend said I'd like this series by Jill Churchill so I tried to get book one at the library. Didn't have it, so tried Amazon.. had it but it was $83.00. (or close to that), and book 2 also expensive, so I settled for this one that the library had on the shelf and enjoyed it.

A lovely quick read on a very hot day...just curled up an read. Color me happy.
Lucy
4th in series set during the Depression. A mysterious stranger rents a meeting room for the weekend. When he ends up dead, the suspects are the others at the meeting, plus many others back home and in his past. Meanwhile, the 1932 presidential election is coming up. President Hoover incumbent, vs FDR who promises changes.
As always great fun, a fast read.
Rachel
Jan 28, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: pbt-baseball
Lily and Robert Brewster inherited a mansion from their great uncle but they have to live in it for 10 years before inheriting it so to make money they rent rooms. A mysterious man wearing a bad wig rents room for a group for the weekend right before the big election between Hoover and Roosevelt. Then the mysterious man is murdered and Lily and Robert are once again thrust into the investigation. meanwhile a local teacher has disappeared and Lily and Robert are teaching her classes and Mr. Prinn ...more
Carol
Dec 07, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
Fun light read set in the great depression. This is part of the Grace and Favor Series. A very rich brother and sister find themselves trying to earn a living after their family looses all their money in the crash and their parents die. They are barely making it when their eccentric Uncle leaves them a huge mansion in upstate NY. But there are lots of strings attached to the inheritance. The mysteries are set around the mansion that they have turned into a bed and breakfast/boarding house. A rad ...more
Diana Petty-stone
Jun 24, 2015 Diana Petty-stone rated it it was amazing
A really good cozy who-done-it. 1932 New York village and a brother and sister duo help solve a murder in their mansion.
Melissa
May 01, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok
I cannot explain why I keep reading these books. Repeatedly, these books offer pages of completely insignificant detail while providing virtually no character development or even much in the way of backstory. It takes a whole chapter for Mrs Tarkington to move into Grace and Favor and two sentences to explain why. This is backwards story-telling. And yet I keep reading. Go figure.

(And while I appreciate the song-titles-as-book-titles gimmick, one would think some attempt might be made at releva
Linda
Jan 18, 2016 Linda added it
Book #4 in Grace & Favor Mystery series
Dolly
Nov 12, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Fourth book in the Grace and Favor mystery series. I have really enjoyed these stories, as much as for the historical backdrop and events as for the mystery. In this story, the mystery seemed a bit disjointed, as if the author were trying to fit too much into the story. But in any case, I enjoy the continuing development of the various main characters and look forward to reading more.
Carolyn Tassie
Sep 23, 2012 Carolyn Tassie rated it really liked it
Another good read for the 4th in the Grace and Favor series. I love the setting and progress of Lily and Robert's story. This is a series that I think benefits from reading in order, not essential, but the list of the characters is growing as they develop. I'm anxious to read the next, It Had To Be You.
ShareStories
Love for Sale is a book set in 1932, during the Great Depression. As an aficionado of the period, I would have like it to have had more specific period detail. I didn't really feel like I was "there". More period descriptions also would have filled out the book, which is rather small.
Sage
Oct 13, 2012 Sage rated it really liked it
Shelves: jill-churchill
It was good but got a little confusing at times. I like the political parts of the story. It is overwhelming but allows the reader to understand the times better. You learn what the author's political viewpoints are and the party she classifies herself in.
Becky
Jun 23, 2011 Becky rated it liked it
Nice light reading. It's not my favorite in the series, but it is a quick, enjoyable read for a summer day when it's too hot to leave the house!
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it
A real nice cozy. Everything about the book was warm and inviting. A very quick read. I will be looking out for more of the series.
Shayla
Sep 30, 2009 Shayla rated it liked it
2.5 stars; I rounded it up to 3. It was a good mystery, although not one that I would re-read.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
Love for Sale (Grace & Favor Mysteries, No. 4) by Jill Churchill (2004)
Kaisha
Nov 07, 2008 Kaisha rated it it was amazing
A solid mystery. Well written.

Sharon Cumings
good one!
Jackie Simons
Read 3/04
ToniThompson
ToniThompson rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Joe Del
Joe Del marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Barbara Cochrane
Barbara Cochrane rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • Saks & Violins (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #22)
  • 'Tis the Season to Be Murdered (Susan Henshaw, #8)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Blood Never Dies (Bill Slider,#15)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • The Snow White Christmas Cookie (Berger and Mitry, #9)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher #20)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Grace & Favor (7 books)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)
  • It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)
  • Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Grace & Favor,  #7)