Love for Sale (Grace & Favor, #4)

Love for Sale (Grace & Favor #4)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  16 reviews
If Lily and Robert Brewster no longer have a penny to their names, at least they have a roof over their heads in this bleak Depression November of 1932 -- the sprawling estate of their late great-uncle in Voorburg-on-Hudson. But then a badly disguised stranger offers to pay generously to hold a very secret meeting there shortly before the national election. And soon one of...more
Unknown Binding, 272 pages
Published February 24th 2004 by Avon Books (first published 2003)

Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cozy readers, depression era
As much as I like the Grace and Favor books, this one just didn't live up to the others as much. But it is still good and I do recommend.

It was a weird, convoluted read, and while you may pick the "bad guy" out early on, and the reasons behind it, it still takes you for a mental rollercoaster of a ride trying to sort out the stories.

Blurb from Author's site:

LOVE FOR SALE
Sister and brother Lily and Robert Brewster raised in the lap of luxury, may no longer have a penny to their names. But at le...more
Erin
Where to begin...

This book had promise, but its elementary plot and slow progression disappointed me. I enjoy mysteries that keep you guessing, that have a hint or a clue on every page. There seemed to be a lot of superfluous detail in this story (two pathetically obvious romances, the voting stuff), which acted as nothing but a distraction and added nothing to the "mystery" at hand.

I kept hoping things would pick up, but after one of Grace & Favor's guests is murdered, the obvious scapegoat...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This is very light reading, but cute. I'm reading a heavy book about Russia, so this is a little relief. Grace and Favor is a mansion with strings attached. Robert and Lily were two rich young siblings at the time of Stock Market crash. Their wealthy father lost everything and killed himself. They were penniless when an uncle died and left them a mansion with a lot of strings. They have to stay there for 10 years, get jobs and give back to the town. They turn Grace and Favor into a boarding hous...more
Carol
Fun light read set in the great depression. This is part of the Grace and Favor Series. A very rich brother and sister find themselves trying to earn a living after their family looses all their money in the crash and their parents die. They are barely making it when their eccentric Uncle leaves them a huge mansion in upstate NY. But there are lots of strings attached to the inheritance. The mysteries are set around the mansion that they have turned into a bed and breakfast/boarding house. A rad...more
Melissa
I cannot explain why I keep reading these books. Repeatedly, these books offer pages of completely insignificant detail while providing virtually no character development or even much in the way of backstory. It takes a whole chapter for Mrs Tarkington to move into Grace and Favor and two sentences to explain why. This is backwards story-telling. And yet I keep reading. Go figure.

(And while I appreciate the song-titles-as-book-titles gimmick, one would think some attempt might be made at releva...more
Dolly
Fourth book in the Grace and Favor mystery series. I have really enjoyed these stories, as much as for the historical backdrop and events as for the mystery. In this story, the mystery seemed a bit disjointed, as if the author were trying to fit too much into the story. But in any case, I enjoy the continuing development of the various main characters and look forward to reading more.
Carolyn Tassie
Another good read for the 4th in the Grace and Favor series. I love the setting and progress of Lily and Robert's story. This is a series that I think benefits from reading in order, not essential, but the list of the characters is growing as they develop. I'm anxious to read the next, It Had To Be You.
ShareStories
Love for Sale is a book set in 1932, during the Great Depression. As an aficionado of the period, I would have like it to have had more specific period detail. I didn't really feel like I was "there". More period descriptions also would have filled out the book, which is rather small.
Sage
It was good but got a little confusing at times. I like the political parts of the story. It is overwhelming but allows the reader to understand the times better. You learn what the author's political viewpoints are and the party she classifies herself in.
Becky
Nice light reading. It's not my favorite in the series, but it is a quick, enjoyable read for a summer day when it's too hot to leave the house!
Tara
A real nice cozy. Everything about the book was warm and inviting. A very quick read. I will be looking out for more of the series.
Shayla
2.5 stars; I rounded it up to 3. It was a good mystery, although not one that I would re-read.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
Love for Sale (Grace & Favor Mysteries, No. 4) by Jill Churchill (2004)
Kaisha
A solid mystery. Well written.

Jackie Simons
Read 3/04
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Phenexrose
Phenexrose marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Carrie Haverty
Carrie Haverty is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
May 19, 2014
Rhea Beating
Rhea Beating marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
  • As the World Churns (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #16)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13)
  • Saks & Violins (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #22)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • The Bohemian Murders (Fremont Jones, #3)
  • Out on a Limb (Claire Malloy, #14)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an...more
More about Jill Churchill...
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)