Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Psicomagia” as Want to Read:
Psicomagia
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Psicomagia

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  1,193 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
A healing path using the power of dreams, theater, poetry, and shamanism

• Shows how psychological realizations can cause true transformation when manifested by concrete poetic acts

• Includes many examples of the surreal but successful actions Jodorowsky has prescribed to those seeking his help

While living in Mexico, Alejandro Jodorowsky became familiar with the colorful
...more
Paperback, 360 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Random House Spanish (first published 1995)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Psicomagia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psicomagia

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Lee
I'll be processing this one a while. Completely changing the way I think of healing, art and the unconscious mind. His approach to healing takes Marinetti's statement "Poetry is an act" to the most fascinating extreme. His idea of the 'panic party'...the importance of a positive effect of art (something I would have scoffed at before)...I could sum it all up as, "Better living through metaphor." Really excellent to read as a companion to Jung's Psychology and Alchemy, which I read earlier this y ...more
Samantha Verdin
Apr 27, 2013 Samantha Verdin rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology, hideous
Tengo que confesarlo. No terminé de leerlo.
Me parece ridículo tener que leer tantas páginas de un tipo tan ególatra como Jodorowsky.

Sí, creo en la Psicomagia y en su poder sanador... pero por la forma que escribe hace parecer que solamente quiere afirmarse a sí mismo ante todos! Qué molesto.
Oxiborick
Apr 14, 2013 Oxiborick rated it really liked it
Quería conocer a Jodorowsky porque mucha gente tenía comentarios polarizados sobre él: unos decían que era genial y otros que era un charlatán.
El hombre no es un escritor, sus libros son un compendio de entrevistas donde Jodorowsky explica sus teorías, pone ejemplos (muchos muy jocosos, explícitos, interesantes, divertidos) y comparte su punto de vista sobre temas como el perdón, el rencor, la voluntad, el amor, el dolor, etc.
La psicomagia es un invento de él, mezclado con teorías psicológicas
...more
Juan Luzuriaga
Jan 31, 2010 Juan Luzuriaga rated it it was amazing
A mind opening experience, it's LSD on paperback, a great read.
Rommel
Jul 28, 2011 Rommel rated it really liked it
If you don't know who Jodorowsky is, you may recognize the name from movies like "El Topo", and "The Holy Mountain", which are surreal, mystical, some may say crazy movies about humanity that debuted in the 60's and 70's.

In discovering art throughout his life, Jodorowsky went on a journey to learn about poetry, public art, directing films, Tarot, Shamanism,the subconscious mind, among other things, and from all this work he concluded that the subconscious understands in metaphors.

In this book J
...more
Marcy
Jun 25, 2016 Marcy is currently reading it
un momento de sinceridad:
i have been 'reading' this for quite some time. admittedly, it's placed in a place where one can and should read but very little. that's because it is not the type of book to read cover to cover. it's good in spurts. good to open pages at random--alejandro himself would appreciate that! i don't know how transformative it is, but it is entertaining in parts. nowhere near as engaging as his 'the spiritual journey of...'
Mariana Marentes
Apr 11, 2016 Mariana Marentes rated it liked it
un libro reflexivo en muchos temas, a muchas personas he escuchado que no les agradó porque el autor suena "ególatra", mas bien lo encuentro tratando de ejemplificar cómo puedes ponerte en práctica y cómo transmitirte su conocimiento. Me pareció un buen libro, ratos un poco o un mucho místico, existencial y si estas listo para leerlo te servirá como una autocrítica.
Aydin
Jun 04, 2011 Aydin rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aydin by: Andrew
This book, for me, tugs mischievously on two chords:

The first, that it compels me to laugh at myself, knowing that possibly only a year ago, I would have dismissed it out of hand for its 'belligerently irrational' premise.

The second that it provides such delicious and irresistibly applicable inspiration for ways to expand the domain of my social and psychological play. >:D

When I think of acting and theater, Jodorowsky along with Daniel Day-Lewis exemplify two of the azimuths of its unique and
...more
Oscar
Apr 13, 2015 Oscar rated it it was amazing
Ahora entiendo por qué es el libro de cabecera de aquella artista a la que entrevistaban en la Universidad.
He conocido a Jorodowsky por medio de pausas, entrevista... pausa, primer película de el... pausa, entrevista... pausa. Ahora que leí Psicomagia, no quiero dejar una pausa, quiero conocer más sobre el.
¿Por qué me gustó? Por su perspectiva, por las múltiples formas de ver y vivir la vida de Alejandro Jorodowsky, formas que yo no creía posibles. Leer Piscomagia fue una terapia para mi, fue
...more
Katiuscia
Nov 20, 2015 Katiuscia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La mia recensione completa la trovate qua
http://katiusciarigogliosi.blogspot.i...

Alejandro Jodorowsky, artista polivalente cileno, cerca di spiegare nelle pagine di questo libro come affrontare la quotidianità. Eliminare le nostre paure, limitare il malessere, aggirare gli incubi, superare il passato e godere del presente senza pensare al futuro: è questo che si cerca di ristabilire con il metodo psicomagico.
Tra testimonianze di suoi pazienti ed amici, narrazioni di esperienze vissute in prima p
...more
Li
Apr 15, 2015 Li rated it liked it
Recommended to Li by: My sister
Shelves: read-fiction
I find there are conflicts that contradict psychomagic in context to religion--when Jodorowsky maintains a contrarian approach towards religion in terms of modern culture. He quotes a lot of Buddha--eastern religions(Many who are against religion seem to find Buddhism a legitimate excuse to study a "religion", but not Judaism, Islam, or Christianity. Buddhism is seen as a permissible religion to poke at and examine with interest). This not only makes me question his opposition towards religion, ...more
miha ha
Velik stvari mi je blo všeč, velik mi jih je blo pa zeloooo čudnih :)


Mislm pa da je velik čudnosti tud zarad prevoda, kr zdel se mi je da je vse mal tko tko preveden. ne vem točno ma tak občutek sm mel da ni čist vse po njegovo povedano v slovenščini.

Zlo rd bi se "nauču" lucidnih sanj, da v sanjah počneš kar želiš, ne da si samo potnik in opazovalec. Všeč so mi bla poetična dejanja oz. ideja poetičnega dejanja.

Zelo mi je všeč njegova ideja, kako bi mogl vse pomembne funkcije zastopat par moške
...more
Paola
Vade retro Jodorowsky! (et voilà la psicomagia siore e siori)

Dalla prefazione pag.1:
"Per l'inconscio è più facile capire il linguaggio onirico che il linguaggio razionale."
Oh signur!
Jodorowski che mi stai a significare?
L'inconscio, datosi che è inconscio, non è conoscibile, lo dice la parola stessa, e tantomeno possiamo influenzarlo con atti o parole o altro di "psicomagico" alfine di fargli "capire" non importa cosa.
Piuttosto è l'inconscio attraverso la sua espressione onirica che cerca dispera
...more
William
Oct 06, 2014 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the guy. Relentlessly positive, incredibly unbelievable, and totally honest. Psychomagic lays out the method behind the madness.

This book is actually in three parts. The first is the original book, Psychomagic, which is about the development of Jodorowsky's ritual psychotherapy technique he calls "psychomagic." It's a practice only he and a select few initiates can do, so it's really not a how-to book. It's more like a short biography in interview format, in which the interview approache
...more
Pequeña Flor
Mar 28, 2010 Pequeña Flor marked it as to-read
Excelente
Amie
Jul 07, 2012 Amie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelf
Some of the stories told in this book seem to be absolutely insane or unbelievable but right there on the edge of "this could actually happen". I am not a huge fan of Jodorowsky's films - mainly because I haven't seen them except for one (Santa Sangre) - so this review is not coming from a film fan of his. I am merely a magical worker interested in different approaches and this surely fit the bill! Now, if you are wanting a step-by-step guide of how to do psychomagic, you are not going t get it ...more
Danijel Brestovac
Jan 18, 2013 Danijel Brestovac rated it liked it
Psihomagija : panična terapija

"Sreča je biti vsak dan manj prestrašen.
Odločitev je biti vsak dan manj zmeden.
Pogum je biti vsak dan manj strahopeten.
Pamet je biti vsakič manj neumen." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

str. 7/8 - Z določenega vidika so bolezni sanje, sporočila, ki razodevajo nerešene zadeve.

Tako, sem jo začel brati, vendar mi je po 50 straneh začela dolgočasiti. Ne, ker ni dobra ali zanimiva knjiga, ampak ker je ta knjiga, kot knjige Carlosa Castanede, drugačna. Globoka. Nerazumljiva. Čudna
...more
Julia
Nov 28, 2013 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
overall I liked this book but I felt there were a lot of statements made by jodorowsky as though he thought them absolute, yet there was little elaboration. I felt that this be due to the "interview style" format of the book. sometimes the questions asked felt like they jumped topic abruptly. maybe things are clearer in his other books?

that said, a lot of interesting ideas in this book & the second part, replete with exercises seems like it could be very useful.

I took quite a while to get i
...more
_topo_
Nov 16, 2010 _topo_ rated it really liked it
Il libro in realtà consiste di due libri-intervista, scritti a distanza di alcuni anni, che andrebbero valutati separatamente, e sarebbe da valutare sia l'intervistato che l'intervistatore. Comunque, il primo parla della psicomagia, il secondo tratta di argomenti molto più diversificati, dall'arte alla scienza, alla politica.

Libro difficile da riassumere e difficile da valutare, perchè contiene cose geniali (molte), e cose alcune che lasciano perplessi. Per esempio che la letteratura di Proust o
...more
Colin Spindler
Aug 01, 2016 Colin Spindler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weird and wonderful, aggravatingly unscientific, refreshingly absurd, it's a New Age book for people who cringe at the mention of "New Age" anything.

I adore Jodo. He's an absolute treasure and the book does a great job of capturing his style.

If you loved The Holy Mountain, check this book out.

If you hated The Holy Mountain, you'll find even more to hate here.

Either way, required reading.
Mark Hammond

Great information and very interesting. A collection of anecdotes and interviews.

Alejandro Jodorowsky developed a system psychotherapy using using ancient shamanic principles filtered through his own vast creative abilities. He has actually helped people effect their own healing with symbolic actions that speak to archetypes.
Gebanuzo
Mar 09, 2016 Gebanuzo rated it liked it
Jodorowsky es un hombre multifacético e interesante. Había venido diciéndome todo el año pasado que ya era hora de encontrarme con él. Estoy seguro que psicomagia ha sido la mejor forma de vernos las caras. Soy originario de una ciudad, y un estado en general que es muy mágico; lleno de leyendas, cuentos y gente que práctica distintas formas de curandería. Jodoroswky me hizo reflexionar sobre ello, ha abierto una puerta hacía algo que desconocía, y me es muy interesante. Además de que todas sus ...more
Simone
Dec 26, 2015 Simone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Libro-intervista in cui Jodorowsky esprime il suo genio artistico parlando della sua "creazione" che sintetizza la sua esperienza di vita: la psicomagia. Consigliato per tutti coloro che hanno fame di significato della vita. Ottimi spunti di riflessione, ma soprattutto d'azione...
Rosbel
Jan 21, 2015 Rosbel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodorowsky has definitely crazy but artistic ideas and concepts which he applies to therapies. It is interesting as long as you remain open-minded.
It provides a different perspective on so many life aspects that I am still processing.
Ivy
Feb 04, 2014 Ivy rated it it was amazing
Al principio pensé que eran puras locuras pero realmente me cambió la manera en que pensaba con respecto a la "magia". Que importa si no cambia nada en el plano físico, si sirve para cambiar tu estado mental, tu actitud o tu perspectiva.
Franky
Mar 23, 2014 Franky rated it really liked it
Buen libro si estas interesado lo que es el trabajo de AJ acerca de la psicomagia. La lectura a veces se puede tornar lenta y tal vez (si no estas acostumbrado a AJ)te puedas perder un poco en algunos capitulos
Lissette M.
Jun 24, 2014 Lissette M. rated it it was amazing
Un libro que me ha hecho darme cuenta de muchas cosas. Ha sido medio aburrido cuando Jodorowsky se excedía de alucinaciones y se ponía medio ridículo. Pero los conceptos de psicología, poesía, metáforas y emocionales que maneja son extraordinarios. Estoy in love con su faceta de psicólogo <3
Stephanie
Jun 21, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This book is among a rare few that I've encountered that I gave up on. The book sounded interesting, and aside from a few anecdotes that were chuckle-worthy, I was bored senseless.
Billy
Nov 14, 2014 Billy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healing
Overall, I enjoyed the book for what it opened up for me in terms of possibility. I have criticisms, but it is best left unsaid.
Jorge Hernandez
Jul 29, 2016 Jorge Hernandez rated it it was ok
Como tal, el libro es solo una "entrevista" de Jodorowsky hacía Jodorowsky, lleno de egocentrismo puro sobre alguien quien cree tener el conocimiento absoluto (Aunque aveces lo niegue).

No todo lo que dice son cosas sin sentido, tal vez, abusa de la postura exagerada de los "remedios" de la "psicomagia" en su completo extremo con la finalidad de dar a entender ilógicamente algo completamente lógico o predecible.

Si quieres leer el libro, hazlo bajo el riesgo de que, o bien puede absorberte, o bie
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Austin Osman Spare: The Life and Legend of London’s Lost Artist
  • The Red Goddess
  • Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success
  • A Secret History of Consciousness
  • Freedom Is a Two Edged Sword
  • The Anarchy of the Imagination: Interviews, Essays, Notes
  • The Mystery of the Grail: Initiation and Magic in the Quest for the Spirit
  • Alchemy & Mysticism
  • Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain
  • The Healing Power of Illness: Understanding What Your Symptoms Are Telling You
  • The Book of Pleasure (Self-Love): The Psychology of Ecstasy
  • The Confessions of Aleister Crowley: An Autohagiography
  • Holotropic Breathwork: A New Approach to Self-Exploration and Therapy
  • Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath
  • Thee Psychick Bible: Thee Apocryphal Scriptures ov Genesis Breyer P-Orridge and Thee Third Mind ov Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth
  • The Fourth Way
  • The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants: Ethnopharmacology and Its Applications
  • Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia, Volume III
31779
Also credited as Alexandro Jodorowsky

Better known for his surreal films El Topo and The Holy Mountain filmed in the early 1970s, Alejandro Jodorowsky is also an accomplished writer of graphic novels and a psychotherapist. He developed Psychomagic, a combination of psychotherapy and shamanic magic. His fans have included John Lennon and Marilyn Manson.
More about Alejandro Jodorowsky...

Share This Book



“One does not go to the theater to escape from himself, but to reestablish contact with the mystery that we all are.” 15 likes
“One becomes wise only in measures, as he goes through his own insanity.” 9 likes
More quotes…