Start by marking “Tales from the Crib” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Crib

Tales from the Crib

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  523 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Lara Stone is back again, and nine months of being miserably pregnant was nothing compared to what follows. But when Lara's long-estranged dad shows up with a stripper on his arm, her husband begins flirting with a hot twenty-five-year old, and her nanny casts voodoo spells to keep her from losing those last ten pounds, Lara soon finds that sleepless nights, S&M-like p ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by NAL Trade (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the Crib, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Crib

Eva Leger
Sep 04, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it
3.5 - I picked this up years ago not knowing it was the sequel to Notes From The Underbelly. I'm not a huge fan of chick-lit so when I read and really liked Notes I noted it in my head and picked this up when I saw it.
Unlike most of the sequels coming out today, this is the kind that deserves to come out IMO. I was pleasantly suprised when I learned exactly what it was even though I read Notes so long ago that I couldn't remember much.
My younger sister read this before me, a few weeks ago, and
jillian
Aug 25, 2008 jillian rated it it was ok
This is one of those books where all the narrator does is whine, whine, whine. I read this book when I was nine months pregnant, the week before I finally got to go into Cedars to have labor induced. And I seriously wanted to slap the narrator every other page. The author says she wrote the book to speak out against the predominant overachieving mom culture among middle-class women in L.A., but never actually shows any positive alternative behavior to the women she refers to as "mommunists". Thi ...more
Elena
Jan 26, 2014 Elena rated it it was ok
This was the follow up to Notes from the Underbelly, which of course I read because I am currently pregnant and want to read such stories, and then since the story ended abruptly I had to move forward. The follow up was okay....it was funny in parts, and Lara redeemed herself a little, but I still never really warmed up to her. I also really think she exhibited signs of post-partum depression (anything past two weeks is not the baby blues) and it's too bad it wasn't addressed in such a way....al ...more
Melanie Link
Jul 21, 2007 Melanie Link rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: first time moms
Thank God someone felt the same way I did about my child! I suffered from postpartum depression and was searching for something to let me know that the way I was feeling was normal. Although I didn't go to the extremes as detailed in this book our feelings of frustration, of being overwhelmed by the new and terrifying situation we have just been introduced to and the mourning of our old lives were strikingly similar. Green had me laughing out loud and quoting passages to my husband throughout th ...more
Brittany Horton
Apr 26, 2014 Brittany Horton rated it did not like it
I am not one to put down books, but I absolutely could not get through this one. The narrator was so annoying, and the entire book is her babbling about absolutely nothing. I loved the first book, but this one did not hold my attention and I do not recommend it.
BeccaJane
Apr 27, 2011 BeccaJane rated it liked it
I read this book in 2 days, while I was sick. Quick read. I liked it because I had the EXACT same experiences with my son that she describes in the first newborn weeks. I liked how Lara came around at the end to learn to love herself as a mother and not compare and be happy with her own life. A few things I didn't like: soo much swearing, it got old really fast! I also didn't like anything about her relationship with her nanny, Delores. It was completely unreal, and nobody would really put up wi ...more
Bethany
Aug 20, 2010 Bethany rated it liked it
This book is the sequel to "Notes From the Underbelly," which I loved, but it pales in comparison. The problem I had with this book was that Lisa, the main character, was so over-the-top selfish, materialistic, and insecure during the first 3/4 of the book that I hated her! I was actually disgusted by her, which is possibly the reason that I kept reading the book and was still entertained. That, and the book was funny. Overall, by the end, Lisa comes around (sort of) and I was left with an "okay ...more
Marci
May 15, 2015 Marci rated it liked it
Cute, quick read. Simple plot and short chapters make this a good read for middle of the night feedings.
Harmony
Apr 02, 2014 Harmony rated it really liked it
Fun read
Mary
Apr 30, 2010 Mary rated it did not like it
Although the book read fairly well I hated it. I hated the whiney self obsessed main character. I hated many of the axioms of the books. The main characters views towards children especially her own infant should concern all of humanity. And the constant fodder of being selfish is a good thing for a mom so that you can than be a good mom goes against everything I believe about parenting.

The end message was okay, but after reading 80% of the books mindless and worldly drivel about parenting I wa
Yolanda
Sep 20, 2008 Yolanda rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
I don't know what I expected but as I did not read Notes from the Underbelly (but have seen the TV show) this book was a bit... underwhelming (I know... not a word)

I had to force myself to get through the beginning and once i got to the middle I don't know what I wanted to see but it just got to the point I wanted to see where the characters ended up. So it was okay. I liked it but didn't love it... won't rush to read another book by her but will still give this author a chance.
Michelle
Aug 28, 2008 Michelle rated it did not like it
As someone who prides myself on finishing every book that I start, even if I don't really care for it, I have to say that I've met my match. Even though I liked the first book, Notes From The Underbelly, I absolutely cannot force myself to continue with the sequel, Tales From The Crib. I made it to page 110 before I could no longer stand the idiocy of all the characters. I am so appalled by the main character, Lara, that all I can think about is how to NOT be like her....
Amy
Apr 04, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok
I read Notes From the Underbelly a couple years ago, and remember thinking that it was completely hysterical. I was really looking forward to reading the sequel, but I was a little put off by the amount of language in it. I would have rated it higher had there not been the f-bomb on almost every page. It did have some very funny moments, but the main character was a lot whinier than I remember, and the husband seemed to be a bit of an idiot.
Kate
Aug 24, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
I thought the author did a wonderful job portraying the anxieties of new motherhood. I loved how the book is narrated by an honest womans thoughts...

Although in Tales From the Crib she goes it bit overboard. She whines and cries about how hard everything is, while she has a live-in maid and housekeeper! Come on!

It was still funny but not nearly as good of a read of Notes from the Underbelly.
Karschtl
Dieses Buch beschreibt den schwierigen Alltag mit einem Neugeborenen, und Laras Erfahrungen stimmen in erschreckend vielen Punkten mit meinen eigenen überein!! Insofern konnte ich mich teilweise 100% mit der Protagonistin identifizieren, passiert ja nicht oft. Je älter ihr Kind wird desto unterschiedlicher wird ihr Lebenslauf von meinem. Fand es dennoch auch da noch interessant.
Julie Hoadley
Jul 20, 2007 Julie Hoadley rated it it was amazing
This was a great book about motherhood, whether you are a mother or not. It tells the story of a first time mother and her struggles with adapting to motherhood. It also tells the story of her relationship with her estranged father and what she learns about herself through him. I would recommend this book to any woman who has kids or ever even thought about having kids.
Candace
Dec 03, 2009 Candace rated it really liked it
I literally laughed out loud at several parts in this book. I could totally relate to Lara because I remember having been in very similar situations with my first child when he was a newborn. (For example, the grocery store without a fully stocked diaper bag and your child has explosive diarrhea). I would highly recommend this book to any mothers with young children.
Heather75
Jul 11, 2007 Heather75 rated it it was amazing
The book starts with Lara coming home from the hospital with her newborn baby and goes through about 5 months of her life with adjusting to a new baby. I loved it because I had a hard time adjusting to motherhood so it was nice to read something that I could relate to. But I felt it was humorous also so even non moms would enjoy it.
Kristi
Aug 01, 2008 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Loved it. So funny and relatable. I was laughing out loud while also remembering my experience with a colicky newborn- being unable to leave the house or do anything in it, spending days in a row in my bathrobe with a lump in my throat...wish I read this book beforehand to have a better idea of what I was in for!
Steph
Mar 01, 2009 Steph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
This book is the follow up to Notes From The Underbelly. I loved this book even more than the first one. I find the main character to be extremely real and relatable. The story is funny and a quick read. I highly recommend this book and Notes From The Underbelly if you like light, funny stories.
Joanna
Aug 13, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every mom-to-be
Recommended to Joanna by: kalio's blog
This should be a mandatory reading for every mom-to-be. The motherhood is not all about smiles and cuddly baby, but also about exhaustion, sleep deprivation, and inadequacy in this new role. Not mentioning all these moms around you, who look so happy despite all that....

Great summer read.
annelies
Jun 06, 2011 annelies rated it liked it
If I could I would give the first half of this book 2 stars and the second half four stars. The beginning drove me CRAZY. The mother was crazy and unrelatable for me and I enjoyed Notes from the Underbelly much, much more! This is the type of book that gives LA moms/women a bad rap.
Synova
Mar 15, 2008 Synova rated it really liked it
Shelves: girly-fiction, own
A delightful follow up to Notes from the Underbelly, Lara is back, post birth, and struggling with parenting. I enjoyed the story, it was nice to see some of my own fears about having children play out in a fictional setting. If you liked Notes... this one is worth a read.
Karianne
Jul 10, 2009 Karianne rated it really liked it
good read for every new mom.

I will say the protaganist was pretty selfish at times and her annoying need to be "skinny again" drove me nuts, but her description of breastfeeding and the lack of sleep that comes with having a newborn is spot on.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit, mommy-stuff
Lara Stone is back with a baby in tow. Now Lara feels even more anxious than before because of a group of 'mommunists' who make her insecure about motherhood. An excellent follow-up to Notes from the Underbelly. I can't wait to read more by Risa Green.
Christy
Apr 15, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
A must read for moms! Very funny and every mom out there can relate to this funny story about a woman who has her first child and her life is turned upside down. I found this very funny and lighthearted and think I even laughed out loud!
Melissa
Mar 24, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
The story line wasn't very strong, but I found it to be an entertaining, easy read. Being pregnant with my second, I did find some incidents hilarious. Some parts were a little dramatic, but still funny to say the least.
Allison Wiest
Jul 23, 2007 Allison Wiest rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Another funny one by Risa Green. After having a baby, I could definitely appreciate everything that was happening, although I don't think you have to have kids to get a laugh out of this book! Again, I was laughing out loud.
Christy
Mar 10, 2008 Christy rated it liked it
I totally should have read Notes from the Underbelly first. While that was apparently the tale of her pregnancy, this picks up with motherhood. A fun chick lit, but again, I definitely read these out of order.
Eatcelery
Jun 13, 2011 Eatcelery rated it liked it
This was better than the first book and the only reason I would recommend it to someone is that it is a very accurate story of being a new mother. They don't sugar coat it. Some funny moments and an easy read.
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • Resurrecting Mingus
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Changing Grooms
  • The Baby Planner
  • What Do You Do All Day?
  • Class Mothers
You would think that writing a bio would be an easy thing for a writer to do, but there’s not much that’s harder than trying to convey a sense of who you are in three lines or less. I’ve always admired those writers who are able to come up with hilarious little vignettes about their pets or their strange obsession with Cheetos, and yet, hard as I try, I just can’t find a way to make myself sound t ...more
More about Risa Green...