Start by marking “The Book of Questions” as Want to Read:
The Book of Questions

The Book of Questions

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,032 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
A New York Times bestseller with over 1.9 million copies in print, THE BOOK OF QUESTIONS poses 265 questions that invite people to explore the most fascinating of subjects: themselves. These questions are as intriguing as our very lives because they are about our lives-our fundamental values and beliefs, our dreams and nightmares about sex, money, love, power.

Some of the

Published January 3rd 1987 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Questions

StoryTellerShannon
First off, this book is great fun but only if the people you do this with are willing to think and be open. I tried this with my older brother and his wife several years back but they were too close minded and guarded to be honest. Stock's book challenges the mind and makes any literate person take a look at their own life, as well as the lives around them.

Even better, if you want to get to know someone really well . .. I'm talking about their values, morals and beliefs; not their favorite rock
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
"Would it disturb you much if, upon your death, your body were simply thrown into the woods and left to rot? Why?"

"Would you like your spouse to be both smarter and more attractive than you?"

"You know you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be frozen within the week if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?"

"If you could increase your I.Q. by forty points by having an ugly scar s
Mike (the Paladin)
Apr 09, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was ok
I see a lot really high ratings for this book here. I suppose I can see why some would like it. It puts me in mind of a lot of discourses and discussions from high school psych and philosophy. At first I thought my take on this book (that it's largely silly and pointless [and I'm not the only reviewer to use the word pointless]) might be a function of age and years lived. Then I saw a review by a younger reviewer who pretty much agreed with me.

This is supposed to be a book of questions that will
John Wiswell
Mar 18, 2010 John Wiswell rated it really liked it
One of the few books you're guaranteed to think about for longer than you read it. Of course, Stock cheats to achieve this: the book is only questions, and often only one question per page. Instead of trivia, The Book of Questions is preoccupied with moral problems, asking what you'd do if you found your best friend was a heroin dealer, or when you were happiest, or would you walk four city blocks naked in return for a massive donation to a charity of your choice? They're questions that probe yo ...more
Aaron
Feb 13, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it
If you found a book of more than 217 hypothetical questions and their follow-ups and could use it as an excuse to achieve a deeper understanding of yourself or someone else, would you?

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?

Given two equally terrifying alternatives as presented in several of these questions, which one would you choose and how would you live with the consequences? Don't you find your answer as interesting as I do?

Why only include roughly 217 questions
Sharleen
Jul 26, 2009 Sharleen rated it really liked it
My husband and I use this book, and others like it, often with close family and friends. It's a great conversation starter and gets everyone thinking about how they feel about life, values, problems, etc... It's become one of our favorite activities after a good game of Settlers of Catan.(Be aware that some questions may be inappropriate for your audience so just skip over those.)
Am Y
Jul 22, 2016 Am Y rated it it was ok
A collection of questions, from silly to serious, to ask yourself or others.

Didn't find the questions as mind-blowing as the hype makes it out to be. Many are stupefyingly inane, or have answers that were very straightforward and easily justifiable to me. Also, the way you might answer a question could change from day to day, depending on your mood and the current situation, etc.

The only useful application this book has for me, is as something to (lightheartedly) gauge a person's character, mora
Sari
Mar 23, 2009 Sari rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book. If you can get people to admit honest answers you may find yourselves surprised to learn knew things about the people you know.
Be warned though, this book may lead to unpleasant situations. I had a guy break up with me because of one of my answers. Looking back, I am glad we read the book together because his answer would have made me think twice about the relationship.
G.H. Monroe
Jan 30, 2009 G.H. Monroe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a great book. The questions posed seed fertile ground which leads to tremendous gardens of thoughts.
Marissa Lock
Jul 11, 2009 Marissa Lock rated it it was amazing
Fantastic for deployments or any time you are away from your loved one! Great conversation starters!
Lennie
Jun 13, 2009 Lennie rated it it was amazing
This book of "what if" questions is great to take with you on a road trip because it helps to pass the time quickly!
dw
Nov 05, 2010 dw rated it it was amazing
If you do not own this, go get it. I've answered every question hundreds of times and it's still just as amazing the second, third and 50th times. Great for couples!
Ashley
Aug 02, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
Amazing book to read with friends. I read it two years ago and I just read it again. It was insightful to see how my answers changed.
Don Gubler
Aug 20, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: improvement
Often it is good to ask ourselves interesting questions and figure out what our answers will be.
B. Lynn
Sep 04, 2010 B. Lynn rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking. These questions have opened up discussions for teens and adults.
Oiuior
Feb 02, 2017 Oiuior rated it liked it
IT'S A POCKET BOOK TO BE CARRIED AROUND!

Well, I have this issue: I'm a difficult person around stranger. My bestfriends told me earlier that: I'm a selfish girl so it's hard to meet and friend with new people. So yeah, I became a little hot-headed, more ignorant, and mostly clumsy in a whole new place full of stranger. So yeah, this book a little open my mind to find topics that maybe fit for me.

I don't really read it as whole. I read it, like, this page to another page, jump to the very last
mai
Feb 05, 2017 mai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you could anonymously and safely destroy any one person's reputation online through various postings, would you? if so, who and why?

do you look to the future more with ancitipation or anxiety?

itu 2 pertanyaan itu bikin bengong banget sih. xD

masih banyak pertanyaan2 lain yang gak kalah bikin bengong dan seru buat dijawab serta bikin merenung. bagus!
WOLF Minh Phan
Mar 14, 2017 WOLF Minh Phan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
It just a quick book to read, to kill your freetime but absolutely amazing! Through all the question, you have a better and clearly chance to know who you are if you try to answer all the question honestly.
Pam Sloss
Feb 14, 2017 Pam Sloss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
An excellent pocket-sized guide to getting to know yourself and others! Thought-provoking questions that help to develop character.
DeeDee Crawford
Dec 26, 2016 DeeDee Crawford rated it liked it
Got this as a Christmas gift and thought it would be a decent short read. I was right. Nothing new, and seems a little one sided, but it's a book with questions in it- what else is expected?
Pamela Sloss
Jan 23, 2017 Pamela Sloss rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent thought-provoking book. Offers some great writing prompts for students. The questions in this book also provide a great way to get to know the character of anyone.
Salim Nasri
Feb 19, 2017 Salim Nasri rated it did not like it
Out of 290 questions, I enjoyed 30, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.
Parvathi Preethan
Sep 22, 2016 Parvathi Preethan rated it it was amazing
Kind of like myself less after this one :p
Alyssia
May 30, 2014 Alyssia rated it liked it
This book is a collection of questions that encourages people to acknowledge moral muddle and discuss what is of value to them and why. It is intended largely to be used as a conversation aid - a way of sharing meaningful aspects of self with others and initiating dialogue on important issues. It deals with issues that are relevant to modern society, touching on everything from technology to crime. Many of the questions are philosophically compelling, and proper discussion of them requires self- ...more
Victor
May 20, 2013 Victor rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk-drawer
Question #101: "If a technological breakthrough could enable people to travel as quickly and cheaply across the world as they now do between adjacent cities, but at the price of 500,000 deaths a year, would you want it developed?"

Heck no! Oh wait... on the next page Dr. Stock informs us that cars kill 500,000 people a year.

These questions are certainly not "without opinions of their own," as the publisher's description alleges. And many of them, perhaps the majority, are turbidly morbid. Questio
Kori
Jan 27, 2008 Kori rated it liked it
If your fiance was in an accident and became paralyzed from the neck down, would you follow through with the wedding??????

When there are a few of your friends hanging around and the conversation is lacking, the games have all been played, and the movies have all been watched, then open this book randomly and ask the question. I can guarantee you that there is a question in this book that will electrify the room, the emotions, the opinions, and the conversation!

Remember, there is no wrong answer
Suresh Nair
May 23, 2015 Suresh Nair rated it liked it
This is not an easy book to read and shelve as it sets your mind to relate to the questions as happening in your life. We may not get a good impression of ourselves as being dichotomous without being much aware of it ourselves.The human system is such and when we are made to be aware of this dual values we become more knowledgeable and may be a little more wise in dealing with the situations that occur in our lives or in the lives of our near and dear ones. Dr Gregory Spock has put across ably t ...more
Jul 17, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-own-library
A fun way to pass the time. Be careful what questions you use, though. I asked a friend if she'd choose her boyfriend or her dad (she had to drop one into boiling lava or a deep hole or something) and her boyfriend was in the room. Well, she has a lot of young siblings, so she chose her dad and got into a huge fight with her boyfriend in front of me, while we were all working and couldn't leave the room. Awkward.
Brenda Cregor
Jan 19, 2014 Brenda Cregor rated it really liked it
This book was a favorite when my husband and I used to have our friends over for dinner [notice the past tense in this sentence].
After dinner, we would read the questions, and talk at length, honing our defense of the morals and ethics we claimed to live.
It was better than dessert and less fattening too.
Alissa
Jul 02, 2007 Alissa rated it really liked it
I used to bring this to Perkins and a group of us would have a blast with this book. I'll never forget this one:

Alissa: Okay...(paraphrasing here) What would you do if you had made plans with someone and were kidnapped, but you could make one phone call?

Misty: I guess I'd have to call and say that I can't make it because I am all tied up!
  • If... (Questions for the Game of Life)(If..., #1)
  • The Complete Book of Questions: 1001 Conversation Starters for Any Occasion
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • 4,000 Questions for Getting to Know Anyone and Everyone
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • The Cube: Keep the Secret
  • Book of Totally Useless Information
  • Writer's Inc
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • The Secret Language of Birthdays: Personology Profiles for Each Day of the Year
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • How to Be Happy, Dammit: A Cynic's Guide to Spiritual Happiness
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists #3
  • Battle
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages
  • The Human Body