Start by marking “Heart of Valor” as Want to Read:
Heart of Valor

Heart of Valor (Wildworld #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  961 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews

A very ordinary day in the lives of the four Hodges-Bradley children takes on frightening dimensions in the aftermath of what seems like a typical California earthquake. A year and a half has passed since the great sorceress Morgana Shee, with the children's help, closed the last gateway to the Wildworld, a shimmering parallel universe of legend and danger.

Mass Market Paperback, 228 pages
Published March 27th 1994 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Valor

Bex
Jan 26, 2011 Bex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-books
This book being the sequel to Night of the Solstice, I was glad to see that it detailed a lot more of Morgana's past. No longer was she seen as the sorceress who had a very magical mystical-sounding name, but she was tied back to the Morgan of Arthurian legend, giving her a depth even beyond what Smith writes of her character.

We see a significant growth in maturity for the four main characters, too. Their personalities are much the same as we saw them in the previous book, but their adventures
Diana
Feb 20, 2009 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, paranormal, teen
As the Hodges-Bradley children get back to their normal lives--with some magical changes--they discover that an earthquake may have temporarily opened the passage to Wildwood, and that an old enemy may be joining forces with a legendary figure from the past.

This was a little more focused on Alys, and that made it a more focused story. As Alys journeys on her path to becoming a hero, she has her stumbles, but overall her performance is astounding. Janie still sometimes grates, with with her new p
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Bibliotropic
This book being the sequel to Night of the Solstice , I was glad to see that it detailed a lot more of Morgana's past. No longer was she seen as the sorceress who had a very magical mystical-sounding name, but she was tied back to the Morgan of Arthurian legend, giving her a depth even beyond what Smith writes of her character.

Jennifer Rayment
Sep 14, 2010 Jennifer Rayment rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good Stuff

* Excellent continuation and completion of the series
* Lots of sorcery, flying serpents, King Arthur and talking animals, how can you not like that
* Like I mentioned in my review of the 1st book in the series, a great epic fantasy story for the younger set
* Realistic relationships between the siblings -- trust me I'm the little sister in my family
* Some light humour
* A far more detailed back story for Morgana
* Interesting twist on the tale of Merlin and Arthur
* Excellent 1s
Alicia
Jul 22, 2011 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Smith’s style of writing a LOT, as I have previously mentioned – her novels transport you to wonderful, impossible places with just a few magical, well-thought-out words. The first book in this series, The Night of the Solstice, took a while for me to get into, but once you do you are gripped, and I found it very easy to slip back into the world of Morgana Shee, the world’s greatest sorceress, and the Hodges-Bradley children, who had previously saved the world from the dark forces of the ...more
Fantasy Literature
Heart of Valor is set a year and a half after the events of the previous book in this two-part series (though both can be read as stand-alone novels), in which four siblings helped the sorceress Morgana Shee prevent the evil sorcerer Cadal Forge from emerging through her magic teleporting mirrors and causing havoc on the world. At the end of 'Night of the Solstice' the doorways to the Wildworld were closed, Cadal was destroyed, and his ally Thia Pendriel managed to escape with the immensely powe ...more
Emma (BelleBooks)
This book is the sequel to Night of the Solstice, I really love L.J Smith's books, but this one kind of disappointed me.

I would say it is aimed at a younger audience, just like Night of the Solstice was as well. I did enjoy the story though, I especially liked how the book dipped more into Morgana's past and her connections with King Arthur.

I really enjoyed the children "stealing" the convertible and all the little pieces of magic that was used along the way, which to seemed to bring them all cl
Andrea
May 19, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to read a series of only two books. I like the growing confidence and abilities of the four siblings, how each of them were needed to ultimately triumph against all things magical. Good read.
Helene
May 05, 2015 Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the second book and cannot wait for the next installment. Arthurian legends are fascinating to me and I loved the history and action in this book. I recommend this book to anyone who love adventure and magic.
Becca
Jul 05, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew there were boojums!
Jaimie
Jan 17, 2015 Jaimie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For an author who I loved so much when I was younger, reading this book made me cringe with disappointment. The storytelling is rudimentary, at best, and I really found the lack of depth frustrating. Maybe she came into her own with the vampire and Nightworld novels, but L.J. Smith's fantasy sensibilities are quite off.
Melinda
It was a great fun read. It was a really good follow up to the first book. I loved the different take on Merlin and Morgana. I loved the kids, they were different from each other and worked really well together. The plot was fast paced and fairly unpredictable. Overall, a great book that I really enjoyed!
Comicfairy (Leanne)
Even though this book did not offer the level of romance and lust that later LJ Smith books would, part of it has definately stuck with me. Could just be a nostalgia factor since I read these as a kid when they first came out, but still. haha
Soybean Soybean
this was muchh better than the first one..the plot started to get more exciting by page 156..the children finally had some actual purpose for being, and everyone had a happy ending except for thia pendrell of course..and merlin is now at large..
Cassie
Jun 20, 2010 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.b.
Mar 21, 2012 J.b. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 in the series, the first book was very clean and fun. The second is still fun, but contains a few minor swear words. Also one reference to dancing in the moonlight naked-though they don't actually do it.
Kim-Lost-In-A-Book
Dec 23, 2010 Kim-Lost-In-A-Book rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
A good follow up to the first (The Night of the Solstice), love the Avalon/Arthurian connections. Good story, adventure, a little choppy at times as far as connecting the story, but overall a good read.
Sonya Bria
Oct 11, 2010 Sonya Bria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book and take on the Merlin/Morgana legend. I liked the drama surrounding the siblings, how they worked through problems and helped each other. Good book for preteens and me :).
Syd
Dec 05, 2010 Syd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the second book better than the first. Between Merlin and Thia Pendriel, there were alot of details packed into this story. If only the book was a good 600 pages longer!
Kathy Davie
This was interesting. A bit Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe mixed with an evil Merlin and Oz. Four children help (the good) Morganna save the world.
Korrin
Aug 05, 2012 Korrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the story. First read this when I was a pre-teen and it was one that stuck with me. I have my original copy. Great for ages 10 and up.
Aqua Xian
Jan 13, 2011 Aqua Xian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like a good fantasy.
Recommended to Aqua by: My eyes. WHo do not require morals.
*Clears throat* Yes, I know "Do not practice sorcery" is in the Bible. Sorry. I was looking at it from the antagonist's point of view. VERY GOOD.
♥Allison
May 03, 2011 ♥Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, wow! I loved every freaking minute of this magnificent book! I was positively mortified that it was the end of the series!
Krista
Apr 22, 2014 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, good to listen to, but I don't know that I would have the patience to turn the pages. And Arthurian legend????
Jessica
Jun 15, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
37 books/2010

Not as good as the first but a satisfying sequel. I wish there were more.
areadersjournee
Great story, Intriguing plot, Interesting twist to the King Arthur & Merlin tales... Good read :o)
Angela
Aug 09, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
I liked this one better than Night of the Solstice but still not my favorite L.J. books.
Ria
Jan 29, 2009 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant sequel.
Well worth reading this series if you like witches and wizards.
Katrina Sutton
Jul 28, 2012 Katrina Sutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, own
A great sequel to end the a two book series. It did not disappoint me at all.
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Valley Of Fear (Unicorns Of Balinor, #3)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)
  • The Starlight Crystal
  • Eager Star (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #2)
  • Amy's Journal (Heartland Special Edition)
  • Merlin's Blade (The Merlin Spiral, #1)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 5 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #5)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

Wildworld (3 books)
  • The Night of the Solstice (Wildworld, #1)
  • Mirror of Heaven (Wildworld, #3)

“In the meantime, how about us doing some more sister things together?"
Alys snorted. "Like what?"
Oh, I don't know. Slay a few monsters, outwit a few magicians, drain a few Chaotic Zones, negotiate a few treaties..."
And after lunch?"
Janie returned the wry grin sweetly. "I'll let you know."
The hero and the sorceress walked back up the path arm in arm.”
20 likes
“They understand NOW," agreed Charles pointedly. "But what happens in a little while when the effects wear off and they remember everything except the reasons why they did it? They're going to be telling their parents they gave their car away to some kids who made them smell a leaf. And what do they say then?” 9 likes