Start by marking “Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People

Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  608 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Hardcover sales of more than 70,000 copies have made the Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were a classic illustrated reference to myths and legends from all corners of the world. Here--culled from mythology, literature, and folk tales--is the mystical realm that has populated humanity's imagination for centuries. Over 400 entries, engagingly written and organized by type ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by Studio (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were

Bandersnatch by Diana Pavlac GlyerBird by Bird by Anne LamottEncyclopedia of Things That Never Were by Michael  PagePut Them Through the Maze by T.D. McMichaelPlot Fiction like the Masters by Terry Richard Bazes
Best Resources For Writers
3rd out of 19 books — 19 voters
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksGnomes by Rien PoortvlietImaginary Magnitude by Stanisław LemNazi Literature in the Americas by Roberto BolañoPale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
Fictional Nonfiction
12th out of 39 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Joe
Mar 25, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people fanatically obsessed with categorzing mythology and folklore
I can't quite describe my love for this book. It's wonderfully researched, lovingly illustrated, and I've referenced it many a time for that obscure branch of folklore that I can't quite find the term for. Plus, there's a lot here concerning imaginary lands I'd never heard of, but would love to visit.
Gareth Pengelly
Jul 02, 2013 Gareth Pengelly rated it it was amazing
'There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true... You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic want or Aladdin's lamp; only your own imagination and curiosity... about things that never were.'

I've got a huge beast of a hardback edition of this book, gifted me by my grandfather in the early nineties. He'd rescued it out of a bin at the university where he worked.

I haven't a clue why someone would chuck this thing o
Sally
Apr 03, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
398.356 Pag Oversize

Wow, an encyclopedia of not only magical, but mythical creatures as well. Roman, Greek, Norse, witches, fairies, Native American. Great fun, especially for myth-ignoramuses like me.
Valis_9
Aug 20, 2012 Valis_9 rated it it was amazing
This book is what I class as a 'gem' in the book world. I define a book
'gem' is one that you can reread many times, waste of hours of the day admiring, and one that is kept for years on years through childhood to adulthood because of sentimental value. As I would never part with this book,for a number of reasons.

1) It has a comprehensive and varied number of entries.
2) The Illustrations beautifully accompany the entries, and are both imaginative and detailed.
3) It is a source of inspiration,
Wadih
Aug 28, 2014 Wadih rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
No entiendo como alguien no podria darle 5 estrellas a este libro. Tal y como se lee en muchos reviews, yo tambien crecí con este libro.
Si te gusta la literatura fantastica, es un libro que no puede faltar, sobre todo siendo niño o adolescente.
Tanto me gusta este libro que solia tener la edición en español y en ingles. Al final la de español se la regalé a un sobrino; a veces me arrepiento de esa decision pero si tan solo le llega a gustar este libro la mitad de lo que me gustó a mi, eso signifi
Meg
Dec 17, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I grew up with this book. A dream of a book for anyone with a curiosity for good stories from all cultures. Legends, dreams and monsters complete with gorgeous illustrations....
Brian
May 04, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this in high school. Everything from Odin to Moby Dick. Could have used a little less Gulliver, and maybe a mention of Lovecraft.
Kara
Jun 09, 2014 Kara rated it it was amazing

A true overview of ALL fictions – you will see gods, heavens, hells, heroes, and magics from cultures all around the world, from Aztecs to Zulus and everyone in between, which makes for a very refreshing change from the usual mythology collections which tend to just talk about Zeus and Oberon.

I also enjoyed the style of writing, a mock scholarly approach that treats all of the entries as real people and places, describing Lilliputians and the Dreamtime with as much gravitas as the usual Encyclop
El Templo
"Hay un mundo a la vuelta de la esquina de tu mente, donde la realidad es un intruso y los sueños de hacen realidad… Puedes escaparte a él a voluntad. No necesitas contraseña secreta, varita mágica ni lámpara de Aladdino; sólo hace falta imaginación y curiosidad por las cosas que nunca existieron. Esta frase, que se reparte entre la contraportada del libro y la primera página, es un resumen perfecto de lo que nos podemos encontrar en La Enciclopedia de las cosas que nunca existieron. Abrir ese l ...more
Nomad
Jan 21, 2012 Nomad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-art
This was hands down my favorite library book when I was younger. I would sit in William Hall library in the back stacks and lounge in a windowsill with this book. It was the best, pure escapism that my teenage self could have asked for. I can remember this book so clearly that I can remember what it felt like in my hands. It's almost emotional how attached I am to the memory of it.

I left Rhode Island a long time ago and have lived in Southern California for 15 years. But who I am and how I was s
Mario Perron
Jan 25, 2016 Mario Perron rated it it was amazing
I read this book over 25 years ago and have proudly reread some of it to my daughter, who now has it in her bookshelves. It is a beautiful collection of illustrations and short tales from literature and legend.
Good reading and good luck.
M
Javire
Dec 24, 2015 Javire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro que me regalaron por Reyes a petición mía. Tendría cosa de 11-12 años cuando lo leí y me apetecía ponerlo en mi lista de leídos. Es un libro al que le tengo un cariño especial.
Jamie
Apr 16, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My mother bought me this book quite a while ago and I cannot count the number of times I have read it. Even before that, I would go to the library, take this book off the shelf and sit at the table to look at it and read it for hours. I have always loved mythology, cryptozoology and folklore so this book is an absolute favorite. Not only are the descriptions and stories about the various "things that never were" amazingly detailed and interesting but the art that accompanies each entry is fantas ...more
Arielle Pierce
Mar 04, 2015 Arielle Pierce rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite book when I was young
Zandt McCue
Sep 05, 2015 Zandt McCue rated it it was amazing
Defined my childhood
Sean
Jan 25, 2014 Sean rated it it was amazing
forgot I had this-brilliant
Laura Bang
An encyclopedia including people, places, and things that never existed outside of mythology and fantasy. Besides having all kinds of intriguing and fascinating entries (Valkyries? Check. Wonderland? Yep. The River from The Wind in the Willows? Yes. And so many more it makes your head spin with geeky glee!), it is also fabulously illustrated. It's so easy to get lost in the pages!
Stacy
May 10, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. So awesome that I have a copy on it's way from Amazon because I want to leaf through it randomly for years and years. Did you know that weasels are not susceptible to basilisks? I didn't but it added another level to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. All around a fascinating book with amazing research into things that don't actually exist.
John Orman
Feb 23, 2014 John Orman rated it really liked it
Dreams come true here--the World of Fantasy!

Creatures, Places, and People are covered in this richly illustrated book.

From ancient myths, African and Native American tales, through modern oddities like Bigfoot and Chupacabra, it's all in this big book.

Some items are wondrous, some are mighty scary.

Enjoy either way!
Michelle
Nov 17, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Also a book a stumbled across at a bookstore and had to have. Amazing pictures, very complete mass of stories and info regarding all things imaginary and "real". Not really something you read cover to cover but very fun to own.
Sergio
Sep 10, 2012 Sergio rated it it was amazing
I read this book in middle school, wrote an essay about it, but I used to check this book out regularly until I left the school and years later, I found an original edition of the same one I read in middle school.
Valeria Moskvin
Jun 06, 2012 Valeria Moskvin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasee
Simplemente hermoso. Desde las historias hasta las ilustraciones, el libro tiene ese espíritu que te hace no solo creer si no también buscar la manera de preservarlas contándoselas a los que quieran escucharlas.
Neil Tellado
Feb 15, 2010 Neil Tellado rated it it was amazing
i have not read the whole thing but it is a guide to the realm of mythology, fantasy, fairy tales, and even religion. Amazing art work makes it fun just to flip through and just look at pictures.
Eric
Aug 27, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing
Great book I've loved since childhood. I've spent many an hour sifting through it's pages wondering what it'd be like to meet these creatures and go to these lands.
Sara
May 15, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
Such great fun! This helped a lot when it came to my english classes whenever mythological creatures crept into the conversation. A great addition to any library.
Tommy
Jan 23, 2012 Tommy added it
Got this ages ago and just saw that Colin Tate had marked it as to read. Not something I read, more a coffee table book, but glorious nontheless.
Greg
Jun 25, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading the review and wanting this. A point of bonding with my wife, the only other person I know with a well-beloved copy.
Delaney Miles
Feb 10, 2012 Delaney Miles rated it liked it
Without this book, it would have taken me several more years to find out how much of a whore Zeus was. Also: Good illustrations.
Morgan Summerfield
Sep 07, 2012 Morgan Summerfield rated it really liked it
I thumb though this book of impossibilities whenever I need to refocus or generate ideas for my writing.
Elentarri
Nov 04, 2013 Elentarri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cryptozoology
Excellent reference book on all sorts of "things that never where", with nice illustrations.
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • Dwarfs (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
see also Michael F. Page.

Michael Fitzgerald Page has lived in Australia since 1953. He has written many books on the development of Australia and South Australia, and histories of some Australian institutions - Adelaide Steamship Company, Royal Flying Doctor Service and South Australian fire services. To show his versatility he has also written eight novels, as well as books on architecture, fanta
More about Michael Page...