Start by marking “Evangeline and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Evangeline and Other Poems

Evangeline and Other Poems

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  13 reviews
It has been said that a copy of Longfellow's narrative poem Evangeline could be found in every literate household in America in the nineteenth century. Certainly its poignant romance touched many hearts and stirred deepening interest in the Maine-born Harvard educator who, in his lifetime, would become America's most famous poet. This book contains the complete Evangeline ...more
Published April 12th 1995 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Evangeline and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evangeline and Other Poems

Mike
Jul 13, 2013 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to read something to a bedridden person they hate
I read this aloud to my plant Evangeline and it died. Thank ye, Shannon. ;)
Brian
You know... you would have thought that this is something I should have read already. I'm a Cajun. My dad traced our ancestors back to Grand-Pre and to France. In fact we went to France a couple of years back and found the home of some of our ancestors that after fleeing Grand-Pre resettled in central France. I grew up in the swamps of Louisiana after my great-great-great... grandfather fled south. This is about my culture and I overlooked this gem for 47 years.

Well, it was a good read, though s
Mona
This edition of selected poems by Longfellow features the epic poem "Evangeline", which narrates the tale of two lovers separated during "The Great Upheaval", or Britain's forced removal of the Acadian people to the American colonies during the French and Indian War. The poem relies heavily on natural imagery and invocations of the Trinity, and is written in dactylic hexameter, which was also used for Homer's Illiad and Odyssey.

Despite really liking some of the other (shorter) poems in this col
Christopher
This Dover Thrift Edition makes an economical and convenient introduction to the work of Heendry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), the American poet who sort of provided the antithesis to Walt Whitman by always looking back to the continental European canon in writing verse on American themes. The volume contains his long poem "Evangeline" and is rounded out with 9 shorter poems.

"Evangeline" (1847) is a long poem in dactylic hexameters on the expulsion of the Acadians, the French settlers of Nov
Dylan Grant
I really wasn't prepared for how intensely good this book was. Henry Longfellow's love for his European ancestors shines through in every word, and as a man of European descent who is also intensely proud of the accomplishments of his ancestors this book really resonates with me.

The first couple of poems in this book are just plain fun. Especially "The Skeleton in Armour", which could easily be told at a campfire for both its atmospheric creepiness and for its homage to the Scandinavian sagas.
Valerie
I recently read an edition of Evangeline in which about half the book was taken up by critical material. This version is almost solely the texts of this and other poems, though there is information (in the table of contents) as to where to find the originals. It claims to be 'unabridged'--we'll see how Evangeline compares. Ok, it's more or less comparable, less most of the glossary and critical material. There are some glossing footnotes, which still don't cover things like Longfellow's use of t ...more
Ren
Nov 17, 2008 Ren rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
In reading “Evangeline” I had a hard time reconciling the issue of Evangeline’s high femininity with her position as a woman hero. For me, a woman hero, or for that matter a hero in general, is one that transcends the gender barriers of her/his time, at least to some degree. She/he must incorporate within herself/himself the positive qualities of both sides of the binary as much as possible. A sort of androgynous person would be the ideal hero. Evangeline is almost an embodiment of “ideal” femin ...more
Matthew Metzdorf
I love H.W. Longfellow. His woeful long free verse poem "Evangline" is among the most heartbreaking poems of American Literature. But more than that, the lesser known works featured in this volume show his range, with many beautiful rhyme schemes that have fallen out of use over the years. Couplets and Tercets and Odes to poets past round out this glorious volume that I got for a dollar thankyouverymuchhalfpricebooks
Bethany Richter
I don't spend much time in poetry. But from my limited foray, Longfellow is my favorite.

I love rhyming, I'm not a fan of obscure symbolism. I like a ballad. Longfellow delivers.

Favorites: Evangeline,
Jane
Sep 14, 2008 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: Dave
Shelves: own
Got this book as a gift from a friend. It is a nice collection of poems by Longfellow, both short and lengthy (for a poem).
Kate Daly
Evangeline is an all-time favorite, which I share with my grandmother.
Deena Scintilla
Oct 16, 2013 Deena Scintilla marked it as to-read
Read this YEARS ago but want to read it again with more maturity.
Michael
Wonderful. One of my Favorites.
Meike
Meike is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Lauren
Lauren added it
Aug 15, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Kristin Rommel
Kristin Rommel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Andrew Meintzer
Andrew Meintzer marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Eve Ingles
Eve Ingles marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Chelsea Liskoff
Chelsea Liskoff marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 15, 2015
Paul Blankenship
Paul Blankenship marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Julia Sparrow
Julia Sparrow marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
  • The Raven and Other Favorite Poems
  • The Portable Romantic Poets: Blake to Poe
  • Poemas
  • Ezra Pound: Poems
  • The Norton Anthology of Poetry, Shorter Fifth Edition
  • W.B. Yeats (Everyman's Poetry)
  • Essay on Man and Other Poems
  • Love Songs
  • The Old Arcadia
  • Complete Poems Of Robert Frost, 1949
  • Selected Poems
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry
  • The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems
  • Lyric Poems
  • Spring and All
  • Metaphysics
  • The Complete Poems
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings