Start by marking “Sunshine” as Want to Read:
Sunshine

Sunshine

The Sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope is a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But, deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. Soon, the crew are fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.
Published August 21st 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunshine

Mariel
Dec 03, 2012 Mariel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: and mercy spare
Recommended to Mariel by: man for judgement must prepare me
Kaneda? What can you see?

I can't remember who it was that said God was dead. Stephen Hawking? Actually, I don't really want to talk about that. I would have to hold inside of me what absolutely everyone everywhere else (and more every second) believed about or in God. What was and what isn't. Do the dead go on living with you after they are gone? I don't know what I really believe in either. It's not a place where there had been something and now isn't, or where there is a lack. If I'm honest th
Scott
Sep 08, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it
Alex Garland wrote one of my fave books/movies The Beach. He has brought an amazing perspective in this book. The movie is awesome. I watched it twice in one weekend. The sci-fi is intriguing and not over the top. The psycho-thrillerness kept me at the edge of my seat. Reading this book (which is basically the screenplay) actually helped me with some parts of the movie that I was left wondering what actually happened. Also I read this in a day and a half which made me feel like I can read real f ...more
Darren
Mar 16, 2008 Darren rated it really liked it
Third act crazytown.
Andy Zeigert
Jun 02, 2012 Andy Zeigert rated it really liked it
Despite devolving into sort of a weird slasher at the end, SUNSHINE remains a cerebral and poignant sci-fi film. It poses big questions and pits humanity against the void of space and the ultimate destruction of the sun.

I've enjoyed Garland's novels — most recently THE COMA — and was curious what an original screenplay by this author would look like. I was not disappointed. The script is neat, the dialogue tidy, and his action and stage directions must have been a joy for the storyboarder and d
Chris
Mar 17, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Sunshine is an excellent Sci-Fi film, the book adds an extra dimension to it and is definately worth reading if you are a fan of the film. There are many aspects of the story in the book which were left out of the film meaning the book explains further some of the unanswered elements from the film.

The only downside to the book is it doesn't cover in any detail what happened to the crew of Icarus one. I had hoped it would be mentioned somewhere as I always felt a bit disappointed it wasn't covere
Guy Salvidge
Feb 14, 2013 Guy Salvidge rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Haven't seen the film yet, but I will. I haven't gotten around to reading Garland's novels, but as a scriptwriter he's certainly the real deal. He also wrote the script for 28 Days Later. This is a taut, atmospheric story about a ship travelling to the sun to deliver a 'bomb' to remedy its ailment. Garland knows his SF history - he even names a character after one in Dark Star, for chrissakes. Very, very good stuff.
Emily Randall
Jul 25, 2015 Emily Randall rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
This was a really interesting read...I haven't read a play since I left school! Once I got into the story I found it flowed and I was making myself put the book down to get on with things I needed to do...if I'd have had more spare time I think I'd have read it in one sitting!

When I finished the book I downloaded the film and watched it which was quite fascinating as I was able to compare the images the play had created in my mind with what ended up in the film.
Nərmin
Feb 28, 2015 Nərmin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fiction lovers
Very nice film, absolutely adored it! Make me love physics more and the Cosmos! OMG, the cosmos was incredibly beautiful)))I even wanted to die in space! That would be the best end to my life))) Capa, my beloved physicist! I want to be like you! Meeting the sun...EPIC! I cant even...
Rose
Jul 08, 2013 Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2013
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Patrick Michael
Patrick Michael rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Mark Gubarenko
Mark Gubarenko rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2011
N. C.
N. C. rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Clayton Hicks
Clayton Hicks rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2012
Michelle Smith
Michelle Smith rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2013
Erika Shmerika-wine
Erika Shmerika-wine rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2010
Lou
Lou rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Roy McClymont
Roy McClymont rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Nathan Wilcox
Nathan Wilcox rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Tom Marshall
Tom Marshall rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Ian Kim
Ian Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Jack Brady
Jack Brady rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Otessa
Otessa rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2010
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
  • The Weekenders: Travels in the Heart of Africa
  • Full Metal Jacket Diary
  • Prometheus: The Art of the Film
  • Willnot
  • Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination
  • See You in Paradise: Stories
  • Borderline (Hard Case Crime #115)
  • The Watcher
  • The n-Body Problem
  • Morning Is Dead
  • Into the Parallel (Parallelogram, #1)
  • The Plot to Seize the White House: The Shocking True Story of the Conspiracy to Overthrow FDR
  • The Craft Beer Revolution: How a Band of Microbrewers Is Transforming the World's Favorite Drink
  • World's Collider: A Shared-World Anthology
  • Chain Saw Confidential: How We Made the World's Most Notorious Horror Movie
  • Rust and Bone: Stories
  • The Egyptian Cross Mystery (Ellery Queen #5)
  • The Detective & the Pipe Girl
Alex Garland (born 1970) is a British novelist and screenwriter.

Garland is the son of political cartoonist Nick (Nicholas) Garland. He attended the independent University College School, in Hampstead, London, and the University of Manchester, where he studied art history.

His first novel, The Beach, was published in 1996 and drew on his experiences as a backpacker. The novel quickly became a cult c
More about Alex Garland...