Start by marking “Would I Ever Lie to You?” as Want to Read:
Would I Ever Lie to You?

Would I Ever Lie to You?

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
When your cousin is always telling outrageous tales, how do you know what to believe? He says you were hatched from an egg in the garden, and that sure sounds absurd. But not all of his stories are false: He was right about your aunt Mary not having teeth; and Dad agreed with him that, yes, your mom does have eyes in the back of her head! So when Ed tells you that your des ...more
Published May 10th 2007 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Would I Ever Lie to You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Would I Ever Lie to You?

Megan Cureton
Cousin Ed always teases to the max! The young cousin never knows what to believe from Ed. One day, Ed told him not to eat his pie, or he would die. Another time, Ed told him he hatched from a green egg in the cabbage patch, told him his head was shrinking, about the alligators in the room, and that he was going to live with the monkeys at the zoo. There were some things Ed was right about though. Like Aunt Mary, with no teeth, and his mom having eyes in the back of her head. But the boy caught o ...more
Jennybug
Oct 20, 2014 Jennybug rated it really liked it
Great book! The pictures are wonderful and the story is good and it would be nice to talk about how some people don't always tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!!!
Beth
Jan 31, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
I read this book to 6th graders as part of an introduction to the Nevada literacy standards that address literary plot, characters, and theme. Together, we identified the sequence of plot (including the difference between plot as a mathematical term and a literary term), the characters in the story, and theme, or "lesson learned" in the book.

I discussed the difference between theme and main idea with the language arts teachers in my school. All LA teachers seem to agree that these concepts are c
Dolly
Jan 14, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a hilarious story about cousins. The older cousin is always telling stories to the younger one, and the younger cousin never knows if he can believe what he hears. It's a great story to read aloud and the illustrations by Jack E. Davis are terrific. We were thrilled that our nephew and niece were visiting when we read this, so all of the cousins got to hear the story together. Our girls loved the cat that was part of most of the scenes and I liked the rhyming narrative. We all really enj ...more
Rosalie
Sep 18, 2014 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
my three year old daughter loved this book, and it is fun to read to her. I have even begun asking her, would I ever lie to you?
Lynne Marie
Feb 29, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it it was amazing
This was great -- fabulous structure, fun, great illustrations, rhyme and MORE! Would I ever lie to you? NO!
Alisha
Mar 17, 2014 Alisha rated it really liked it
This is the second time we have checked this out. It is great!
Veronica
May 18, 2013 Veronica added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

This is not going on my list. It's a cute book, and it's got a great lesson about not teasing, but I don't think the presentation would be good. It almost seems like the moral of the story must be explained. I think if it were to be put on the booklist, it would be more confusing than anything.
Charlee Jackson
Aug 10, 2011 Charlee Jackson rated it it was amazing
This book was funny, full of jokes and unrealistic.
I liked the pictures, they made the story better.
I liked the part at the end when the main character tricked cousin Ed.
The picture of the family in the car is funny because the dad's glasses and mom's hairdo are funny.
The picture of Aunt Mary and her teeth popping out was funny and gross.
It is hard to tell if cousin Ed is lying or not.
Tanya
Mar 29, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Seven year old gets it, not so much the three years old, though it seemed funny to him anyway. I like that my seven year old can see examples of what is lying/teasing, which has been an issue in her class as the kids struggle to understand what is teasing, imagination, lying, and that the lines between these things is blurry. Subtleties to learn.
Amanda
Sep 10, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
I read this at the library, but my husband ended up reading it to our 3 1/2 yr old. He said he didn't think it was a good story, although I thought it was a way to look at what the consequences of lying could be. The illustrations are cute too. Maybe more suited for an older kid who understands the concept a little more.
Shelley larson
Nov 22, 2009 Shelley larson rated it it was ok
This poetry picture book tells the story of Cousin Ed and his elaborate lies. Cousin Ed is always teasing the narrator. Most of the things are just too strange to be true, but every once and a while some of his stories are true (like Aunt Mary having no teeth).
Genre: poetry picture book
Copyright: 2007
Christine
Mar 26, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it
Fun! Fun! Fun! This is a great read-aloud. The students can all relate to someone who is a big tease. I loved their faces at the end when Ed's cousin gets back at him.
The votes are as follows: Loved it=212, Just okay=3, Didn't like=10. (There are always those students who like to vote different!)
Kennedi
Feb 03, 2010 Kennedi rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's a cute, fun-loving story about the little competitive edge that kids have - especially within a family. It's all about a little boy who gets teased by his cousin Ed, but in the end Ed gets a little taste of his own medicine. I definitely recommend this book to all.
Becky H.
May 15, 2008 Becky H. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and their children
Shelves: picture-books, 2008
Cousin Ed is always teasing. So when he says the pie is poisoned should I believe him? I didn't so I ate it and I died--Would I ever lie to you!! Wonderful illustrations that really show the character's feelings and will keep children interested. Good to teach kids about lying.
Amy Carr
Aug 16, 2008 Amy Carr rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
A strange, irritating book that will remind you of that cousin you used to HATE visiting when you were little. I didn't relate to this book at all, hated the main character, didn't see a good moral, and just felt all bothered and frustrated when it was all over.
Rachel
Jun 19, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
People love to tease kids, telling them that there are alligators upstairs, that they were hatched from an egg, etc. Cousin Ed loves to make up stuff to make his younger cousin believe him. Adorable illustrations, and Buehner is a local author who writes fun books.
B
Dec 11, 2008 B rated it it was amazing
JP Told in rhyme with big, wonderfully goofy pictures, this rhyming tale tells of a young cousin being bamboozled by his older cousin, until... For younger elem.
Stacie Graham
Dec 04, 2010 Stacie Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
So funny! Completely related to children. Hilarious when he turns the lies back on his cousin and pretends to die after the pie. Great coinciding illustrations
Aleisa
Mar 03, 2015 Aleisa rated it it was amazing
Love love love this delightful book! Love love love the chorus of giggles that come with the last line every time I read it aloud to the kids.
Tanya W
Nov 22, 2010 Tanya W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Very fun read for kids... they loved it. They vote 5 stars... I would probably give it 4 because I think I give too many books 5 stars.
Susan
Jan 09, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for brothers. It reminds me of what one brother would do to another.
Great children's book.
Lucia
Jul 02, 2008 Lucia rated it liked it
This is a fun book to read aloud with predictable poetry that helps kids participate. I love the goofy illustrations.
Jo-Ann
Fiction:
Why by Lila Prap

Nonfiction:

Activity/Movement/Song:

Craft:
Eileen
Apr 13, 2008 Eileen rated it really liked it
Rhymes. Cousin torments boy with far fetched tales, but there's a clever ending.
Bethany
Mar 10, 2009 Bethany rated it liked it
The rhyme pattern reminds me of Shel Silverstein; humorous illustrations, fun read aloud.
Karen Walsh
Oct 21, 2008 Karen Walsh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with kids over the age of 4 or 5
This is a really cute kids book - my boys want it read over and over again!
Bree
Nov 05, 2008 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story, terrific pictures, but some of the rhyme felt awkward.
Tiffany
Nov 03, 2010 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children-s
Cute text, but I'd prefer illustrations by the author's husband.
Greta
Jan 15, 2011 Greta rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The meter felt awkward in places, but it was a fun story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Penguins
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • The Cow That Laid an Egg
  • My Life as a Chicken
  • What Pet To Get?
  • Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!
  • Crazy Hair Day
  • Chicken Soup
  • Once there was a bull...frog
  • I Know Here
  • Always in Trouble
  • Born to Read
  • Snoring Beauty
  • While Mama Had a Quick Little Chat
  • Some Dogs Do
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • My Big Dog (Family Storytime)
  • My Mom Is Trying to Ruin My Life