Start by marking “White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)” as Want to Read:
White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)

White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows #7)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  32,343 ratings  ·  906 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison returns to the sinister and seductive Hollows for the newest blockcuster adventure featuring Rachel Morgan, witch and bounty hunter.

White Witch, Black Curse

Some wounds take time to heal...and some scars never fade.

Rachel Morgand, kick-ass witch and bounty hunter, has taken her fair share of hits, and has broken lines she swore
Audio CD
Published February 24th 2009 by HarperAudio

To ask other readers questions about White Witch, Black Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Witch, Black Curse

Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

White Witch, Black Curse introduces us to a new type of Inderlander—the banshee. Well, introduces us directly. Mia (the banshee) shows up in a couple of the novellas, but in the seventh installment of The Hollows, she is front and center. And not in a good way.

Harrison’s version of a banshee is more like a succubus or a psychic vampire. They’re seen before a person dies, not b/c they’re a herald of death, but b/c they’re doing the killing. By sucking the life force, or au
Schnaucl
Lightreads
Okay, I think we've officially entered the extremely strange realm where a book outstrips its author. I can't count the number of times there was this cool visual image (gargoyle correcting his size by plinking out ice cubes) or interesting emotional moment (Rachel having a flashback) and I nearly missed it because of a clumsy phrase or an anvil to the head. And this book lost major points with me for ham-handed exploitation of terminally ill children for emotional juice that it didn't even need ...more
Duchess Nicole
I can never quite love the Hollows books, but I never stop reading them, either! This is a world that you can't forget...there's something about the unique casting of characters and the way they all interact together that makes them so very memorable.

I just love Rachel and Jenks. Their friendship and complete and utter loyalty to each other make this series for me.

What about Ivy, you ask? That vampy chick pisses me right the hell OFF! I rant about Ivy in every review, but I'll do it again here
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The seventh book in the series, I found this one dragged a bit more than some of the others, although I think it ended really strong. It also tied up a number of loose ends that had been lying around, and although a few new ones were started, this had the feel of closing a major chapter or arc before beginning a new one.

This is also the first book that directly incorporates events from the novellas and short stories which have been published in anthologies (specifically Dates From Hell, Holidays
Lorena
I generally like this series, but this book's ratio of ass-kicking to emotional self-indulgence was heavily weighted towards the emotional self-indulgence. I say "self-indulgence" because most of the book seemed to revolve around Rachel feeling sorry for herself and whining about how aloooooone she was because nobody understaaaaands her. The personalities of some other characters seemed to be entirely altered just to advance this agenda. That shift in how certain characters behaved, along with t ...more
Marianne
I've continued to read up to this point in the series because of the supporting characters and Harrison's paranormal world; book seven was no exception. However, I would appreciate it if Ms. Harrison omitted the following for the rest of the series: children on their deathbeds, mention of Piscary, banshees, sexual tension between Ivy & Rachel - for the love of all that is holy please find a cure for that damn scar -, or deductions by Rachel that lead to more smut on her aura when it isn't ab ...more
Kribu
Eh. It took me 13 days to get through this book (this is more than four times what a genre book this size would usually take), and it's not just because I was off travelling and had less time.

I could have made the time to read. I just .... had a hard time making myself go into the effort. And whenever I did, I inevitably got bored or sleepy after a chapter or two.

I don't even know. I've had problems with the writing in all the books in this series (and this one was no exception), but at least th
Jim
I've been reading the series since the beginning & this is book 7. It got an extra star because it is still so engaging. It's entertaining fluff & fun. Our heroine, a witch, is still trying to do right & still coming up with nothing but problems. She no sooner gets one thing settled than two others pop up. Which problems get solved & which new ones will pop up is the mystery. After 6 other books, I knew there wouldn't be a clean, happy ending. Hopefully, she'll end the series on ...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Tell the truth. Did you take the time to read all of those Hollows short stories scattered in anthologies over the past few years? If the answer is yes, you're finally getting your payoff. Just about every short story associated with the series comes into play here. And while you didn't HAVE to read them all to understand, they certainly give the reveals here something-extra for the fans who went beyond the novels.

We pick up with Rachel accepting her deal with the demon, Al, to become his stude
Gina
VampireNovelFan
Well, every series going for this long is bound to have that one book that just isn't up to par with the rest. I'm a huge fan of The Hollows, but this was definitely the weakest installment.

Rachel's shunned, cast aside as a black which in her community. She's also focused on figuring out who killed Kisten a couple of books back. All the while, she takes on a banshee that feeds herself and child by stealing auras from people.

The resolution to Kisten's death was anti-climatic at best. I am not su
Theshrewedshrew
One of the last lines of the book defines the entire book for me.

Al says something along the lines of "But he is Rachel candy..." I can't remember now if it was a statement or a question, but assuredly it is hilarious. Its one of the few lines and reason I still read The Hollows...
yeah I know if your 7 books in you should already have a reason, but Rachel is one of the most whiny rhymes with witchy character.

She has this moral code, which makes noooo sense. They are on the boat, people are as
jD
After reading this installment, I better understood why some fans weren't feeling it. I am not one of those. I believe my positive experience with the book is because I didn't have to wait and generous spoilers. In truth, spoilers only tell me what happened but not how I will feel about it.

I did not expect to get excited about Pierce. I thought I would be unhappy that Trent is hardly in the book. I thought it was time for the gorgoyle to state his business. I thought Marshall was going to turn
Armina
This instalment seemed a little darker than some of the previous books in the series. What I didn't like so much is that it started a little slow and very little happened in general. Before the last third of the book I felt it somewhere below 4 stars but the last part totally made up for a solid 4 stars read.

In White Witch, Black Curse Rachel is mostly in a state of personal gloom. She needs to find (view spoiler), to tag down a banshee who thinks she rules the wo
I read this series because the worldbuilding is great, and the witchcraft is interesting and intricate. The author really has those things down pat. Unfortunatly, this series is kinda falling flat (for me, anyways) as it goes along. A character doesn't have to be perfect or even likeable for me to like reading about them, but Rachel is just plain annoying, and it's hard for me to have any kind of concern for the character. I am also sick to death of Ivy and the relationship angst between her and ...more
Maria

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

It’s not easy to write a review for a book that is a part of a series that I absolutely love. I don’t know from where to start! This urban fantasy series by Kim Harrison is one of the best in this genre. The world-building, the not-at-all-black-or-white-but-totally-grey characters, the plot and twists and some of the best lines ever, make the whole series a pleasure to read!

Nothing is easy for Rachel for one more
Mel
Boy, was this a drag for most it! So very little happened! It was such an obvious filler book, it was annoying. What annoyed me even more were the references to the short stories (in anthologies, not the freebies) that pretty much made you feel like you were missing information. It wasn't really vital information, but it was bothersome nonetheless.

In White Witch Black Curse Rachel needs to track down a banshee, find Kisten's killer (the search and the mourning was pretty much skipped in last bo
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Oh Rachel Morgan...there's never a dull moment when you're around!

Still coping with the loss of her boyfriend, Rachel is determined to find his killer, using whatever means necessary. To uncover the truth she'll enlist the help of her faithful friends and partners Ivy, Jenks and Ford, a sensitive psychiatrist who assures Rachel he can help her remember the events of that tragic night. When a banshee family takes up residence in the Hollows, followed by murders and a brutal attack on good friend
Kasia S.
I have to be completely honest; I love Kim's whole literary universe as it's my absolute favorite urban fantasy series that I consider one of life's best readable luxuries. I was surprised that I didn't like the beginning, if I wasn't so head over heels for it I would have thought of stopping reading it, the heaviness and unnatural depressed state of Rachel was pronounced, it hit me once I finished that it was on purpose, a tear is just water, a sigh is just a breath, this was deep and dark but ...more
Lauren
This book was an emotional roller coaster to say the least. Filled with mystery, action, suspense and so many emotions, it was definitely an awesome read in the Hollows series ~ but this book was lacking something. One reviewer said that this book felt like filler & I completely agree. This book seemed like a way to tie up all the loose ends that were hanging around but it was still a good read.

I didn't really like the Banshee storyline. Don't get me wrong - I thought they were a cool additi
Will Byrnes
Rachel Morgan is attempting to recover from the trauma at the end of book 6. Her memory of that event is very fuzzy. She spends about five hundred pages trying to get back her recollection of that night. Along the way she must contend with mischief from her demon pal, Al, a smitten ghost and a banshee, whose child can suck all the life force from whatever it touches. Can she sustain a friends-only relationship with the really nice guy-witch with whom she has been hanging out? Will her mom move o ...more
Natasha
I've been a fan of Kim Harrison since I first read DEAD WITCH WALKING and I've never been disappointed. She writes the stories you wish you could have and makes you emotionally attached throughout. I don't think I could choose a favorite from this series but this installment is near the top.
It's action packed and a fast paced read. I read it in a few hours and could not put it down.
In this installment she puts to rest some ghosts and fights a lot of bad guys. She really goes though a lot of to
AH
I love Kim Harrison's books. The story lines are exciting and action packed. The characters are multi-dimensional.

Kim Harrison builds a world where humans are in the minority. The book is set in the Hollows, where witches, werewolves, and vampires live and police themselves. Rachel is a runner (bounty hunter) in business with a vampire(Ivy) and a pixie(Jenks).

Jenks is probably one of the best reasons for reading these books. Even at 4 inches tall, he is one of the most important characters in t
Sarita
Wow - I couldn't decided between 1 or 2 stars!

What are people thinking?????

Couldn't we just stick with the plot? I felt like this story was all over the place..too many lose ends never getting tied up! ARGH!!

I read all the other books in this series..only bored with book 2 and pissed in book 5 when one of the main characters gets offed.... but this one takes the cake for annoying the living &*$%@ out me.

The story starts out really good for the first 50 pages...then sucks for about 250 pages
Louisa
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
Larissa
Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

SERIES REVIEW:

*contains MINOR series spoilers

I LOVE This series! Kim Harrison has created such an amazing and rich world, that is extremely easy to get lost into. Not to mention the characters that you can’t help but fall in love with.

Rachel Morgan is a witch working as a runner, bounty hunter, for the I.S. {Inderland Services} in a world after the turn. The turn was when a breakout killed 2 thirds of the human race, all because
Kallierose
Hollows Read-Alon...: He's ba-a-a-ck! Pierce 42 207 Jan 28, 2014 06:56AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Children's wing/Ivy's wish 13 164 Jan 21, 2014 05:21PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Rachel's shunning 22 140 Jan 09, 2014 06:57AM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Raced to the end 14 157 Jan 06, 2014 02:33PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: Fav Quotes 13 96 Jan 03, 2014 03:01PM
Hollows Read-Alon...: First thoughts 20 165 Jan 01, 2014 09:11AM
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h
More about Kim Harrison...
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)

“I only snatched him to get your attention,” I said. “Now that I’ve got it, this is what I want.”
“Damn my dame!” Al shouted, hands raised to the ceiling. “I knew it! Not another list!”
110 likes