Start by marking “The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts” as Want to Read:
The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts

The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Wonderfully entertaining look at some intriguing oddities, unusual incidents, and colorful personalities connected with the Civil War. Includes 25 names the war was known by, personal quirks of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, and more,
Published December 12th 1988 by Wings (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Civil War

Dale
Fun to read, but be warned...

...you had better be up on your Civil War basics before attempting to read this book. It assumes that the reader is well aware of the main battles, campaigns, personalities and relative strengths and weaknesses of both the North and the South.

As the title suggests, the book is primarily a collection of facts and oddball "did you know?" type of stories that are not really intended to re-tell the story of the Civil War but are mostly aimed at people who know the story...more
Scott Klemm
I bought a used copy of The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts by Burke Davis, because it sounded like it had the potential of being a very interesting read. I was not disappointed. It was entertaining and a great source of Civil War trivia. The book consists of 38 chapters including Firsts, Mr. Lincoln’s Beard, The Machine Gun, Imported Warriors, Riots on the Home Front, Was Stonewall Jackson a Hypochondriac?, Spies at Work, and Sex in the Civil War. I found in the Sex in the Civil War...more
Steve
The other book I was reading was soooooo ill-writen I picked this up to read as a quick "shot in the arm". As per the description/review cited "Wonderfully entertaining look at some intriguing oddities, unusual incidents, and colorful personalities connected with the Civil War"; that covers it very well. A great read when consistant interuption may occur as the each chapter deals with a topic, with near each paragraph a new or differing fact; perfect for "Stop and Go" reading.
As noted by anoth...more
John Cress
The book is exactly what it says, short stories of the civil war. For me, this wasn't a book to read in one sitting but rather off and on when one has 10-15 minutes to kill. The stories were interested and easy to follow. I really enjoyed the one of the submarine and wondered how the caption kept finding new crews to sink.
Margaret Tiddy
This would be interesting to anyone who enjoys reading about history. It is mentioned that the Civil War begins in a gentleman's yard and then ends in the yard of his new house. Some soldiers might have brother-in-laws who fought for the other side.An Army private got $11 a month but a free slave in Virginia got $30 a month. A young Confederate officer was fatally shot on the same horse that his three brothers were killed on. These are but a few of the very interesting facts.
Pam
As someone who is interested in the Civil War but no means a Civil War buff, I found this book to be very interesting. It covers many stories and facts that I had not found anywhere else in my reading. Each chapter was a stand alone story so it was easy to pick up the book for a short read. I especially appreciated its focus on numerous technological innovations done at the time. Unfortunately the book has a very small bibliography and no footnotes.
Kate S
An interesting collection of anecdotes about the Civil War. I liked the section about the bystanders (including Louisa May Alcott). There were a ton of names which may not be many other places easily accessible to the public at large. This book is a few years out of date, so some of the edge may have been lost, but I felt there was a lot of research behind this story an I enjoyed the personal touches in this work.
Jonathan
I don't recommend this book, even for the history buff looking for odd or interesting facts. Vague racism and a lack of historical context mean there are more worthwhile books to read about the Civil War. Only if you are interested in how American's thought about the war several decades ago would this be a worthwhile book.
Geoff Sebesta
A collection of trivia, mostly outdated at that.

The most useful thing about the book is that it confirmed that I've read a lot about the Civil War and can now spot omissions and mistakes.

I guess I got some useful factoids, but the view of history in this book is not holding up to modern scrutiny very well.
Jerry
Originally written in 1960 in time for the Civil War Centennial, this book is a little out of date with some facts (such as the Confederate H. L. Hunley), but it is still an interesting read. That is why I didn't give it an extra star rating. Recommended.
Nicholas
This book presents a number of chapters which focus on several pinnacle events and people of the Civil War. Burke Davis grants readers an enjoyable experience as they learn about some lesser known points concerning the Union and Confederates.
Sadie
It's a great book for anyone interested in the Civil War. There are plenty of stories that you might have heard, and even more of those that you might not have (for example, 'The Machine Gun', 'Imported Warriors', or 'Lincoln's Subs').
Camille
Instead of rewriting my review, I thought I would just link this to my blog instead. http://wineandhistory.wordpress.com/2...
Andrew
the book contains little known interesting facts about the civil war. the title says it all.
Shawn
I'm not sure how much of this book is true, but it is interesting never the less.
Nan. C.
Jun 19, 2008 Nan. C. is currently reading it
The cival war..some new facts and some obscure ones too.
Cws
Sep 11, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: civil-war
CW9737Dav
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Karista
Karista marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Xondra Day
Xondra Day marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Alexander widrow
Alexander widrow marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Warren Olinger
Warren Olinger marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Jeffrey Nicholson
Jeffrey Nicholson marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
SDFriend
SDFriend marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
  • From Manassas To Appomattox
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • The Army of the Potomac, 3 Vols
  • Washington Goes to War
  • The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Civil War Library)
  • Fighter Wing: A Guided Tour of an Air Force Combat Wing (Guided Tour)
  • Robert E. Lee: A Biography
  • Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards
  • Letters of a Nation
  • In the Presence of Mine Enemies: War in the Heart of America 1859-1863
  • Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA 1981-1987
  • The Crisis of the Old Order 1919-33 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 1)
  • George Washington: Young Leader
  • Lincoln and His Generals
  • Infamy: Pearl Harbor and Its Aftermath
  • World of Our Fathers: The Journey of the East European Jews to America and the Life They Found and Made
  • Thread that Runs so True
  • Traitor: The Case of Benedict Arnold
Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller Gray Fox: Robert E. Lee and the Civil War (Classics of War) Sherman's March They Called Him Stonewall Jeb Stuart: The Last Cavalier