Start by marking “The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts” as Want to Read:
The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts

The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts

Wonderfully entertaining look at some intriguing oddities, unusual incidents, and colorful personalities connected with the Civil War. Includes 25 names the war was known by, personal quirks of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, and more,
Published December 12th 1988 by Wings (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Civil War

Jul 21, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it
Fun to read, but be warned... had better be up on your Civil War basics before attempting to read this book. It assumes that the reader is well aware of the main battles, campaigns, personalities and relative strengths and weaknesses of both the North and the South.

As the title suggests, the book is primarily a collection of facts and oddball "did you know?" type of stories that are not really intended to re-tell the story of the Civil War but are mostly aimed at people who know the story
Scott Klemm
Jul 22, 2016 Scott Klemm rated it really liked it
I bought a used copy of The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts by Burke Davis, because it sounded like it had the potential of being a very interesting read. I was not disappointed. It was entertaining and a great source of Civil War trivia. The book consists of 38 chapters including Firsts, Mr. Lincoln’s Beard, The Machine Gun, Imported Warriors, Riots on the Home Front, Was Stonewall Jackson a Hypochondriac?, Spies at Work, and Sex in the Civil War. I found in the Sex in the Civil War ...more
Aug 15, 2013 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: history-read
The other book I was reading was soooooo ill-writen I picked this up to read as a quick "shot in the arm". As per the description/review cited "Wonderfully entertaining look at some intriguing oddities, unusual incidents, and colorful personalities connected with the Civil War"; that covers it very well. A great read when consistant interuption may occur as the each chapter deals with a topic, with near each paragraph a new or differing fact; perfect for "Stop and Go" reading.
As noted by anoth
Mickey Monroe
This is one of those books wherein I read a chapter and put it down and come back to it later. It took a few weeks to finish. Almost anything written about the Civil War is worth reading. Interesting information and some fact correcting. For example, Grant's alleged alcohol consumption was exaggerated but he did have a problem with alcohol. I enjoyed the book for the most part.
Jan 24, 2016 Calvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-history
Pretty entertaining as its divided into 20+ Topics and then most of those are just short stories. Easy to jump to something else if your interest is not held.
John Cress
Jun 30, 2014 John Cress rated it really liked it
The book is exactly what it says, short stories of the civil war. For me, this wasn't a book to read in one sitting but rather off and on when one has 10-15 minutes to kill. The stories were interested and easy to follow. I really enjoyed the one of the submarine and wondered how the caption kept finding new crews to sink.
Margaret Tiddy
Nov 14, 2008 Margaret Tiddy rated it liked it
This would be interesting to anyone who enjoys reading about history. It is mentioned that the Civil War begins in a gentleman's yard and then ends in the yard of his new house. Some soldiers might have brother-in-laws who fought for the other side.An Army private got $11 a month but a free slave in Virginia got $30 a month. A young Confederate officer was fatally shot on the same horse that his three brothers were killed on. These are but a few of the very interesting facts.
Oct 28, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
As someone who is interested in the Civil War but no means a Civil War buff, I found this book to be very interesting. It covers many stories and facts that I had not found anywhere else in my reading. Each chapter was a stand alone story so it was easy to pick up the book for a short read. I especially appreciated its focus on numerous technological innovations done at the time. Unfortunately the book has a very small bibliography and no footnotes.
Kate S
Jul 18, 2013 Kate S rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, mom-library
An interesting collection of anecdotes about the Civil War. I liked the section about the bystanders (including Louisa May Alcott). There were a ton of names which may not be many other places easily accessible to the public at large. This book is a few years out of date, so some of the edge may have been lost, but I felt there was a lot of research behind this story an I enjoyed the personal touches in this work.
Alis R
Sep 28, 2015 Alis R added it
interesting facts. helped me understand more on the civil war.
Apr 27, 2010 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, nonfiction
I don't recommend this book, even for the history buff looking for odd or interesting facts. Vague racism and a lack of historical context mean there are more worthwhile books to read about the Civil War. Only if you are interested in how American's thought about the war several decades ago would this be a worthwhile book.
Geoff Sebesta
Nov 30, 2013 Geoff Sebesta rated it liked it
A collection of trivia, mostly outdated at that.

The most useful thing about the book is that it confirmed that I've read a lot about the Civil War and can now spot omissions and mistakes.

I guess I got some useful factoids, but the view of history in this book is not holding up to modern scrutiny very well.
Jul 05, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
Originally written in 1960 in time for the Civil War Centennial, this book is a little out of date with some facts (such as the Confederate H. L. Hunley), but it is still an interesting read. That is why I didn't give it an extra star rating. Recommended.
This book presents a number of chapters which focus on several pinnacle events and people of the Civil War. Burke Davis grants readers an enjoyable experience as they learn about some lesser known points concerning the Union and Confederates.
Apr 11, 2010 Sadie rated it it was amazing
It's a great book for anyone interested in the Civil War. There are plenty of stories that you might have heard, and even more of those that you might not have (for example, 'The Machine Gun', 'Imported Warriors', or 'Lincoln's Subs').
May 24, 2012 Camille rated it liked it
Instead of rewriting my review, I thought I would just link this to my blog instead.
Oct 26, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it
the book contains little known interesting facts about the civil war. the title says it all.
Oct 30, 2011 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how much of this book is true, but it is interesting never the less.
Nan. C.
Jun 19, 2008 Nan. C. is currently reading it
The cival war..some new facts and some obscure ones too.
Sep 11, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: civil-war
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Morgan marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Kandice marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Gregg Jones
Gregg Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Joshua Dykes
Joshua Dykes rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Glenn rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Bryan Hensley
Bryan Hensley marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Aaron marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Catherine Delong
Catherine Delong marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
  • Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences
  • Rebel Private: Front and Rear
  • The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • The Dawn's Early Light
  • Fighter Wing: A Guided Tour of an Air Force Combat Wing (Guided Tour)
  • Fighting for the Confederacy: The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander
  • Washington Goes to War
  • They Met at Gettysburg
  • The Civil War: A History
  • The Life of Billy Yank: The Common Soldier of the Union
  • The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Civil War Library)
  • On Witchcraft
  • From Manassas To Appomattox
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • Robert E. Lee: A Biography
  • Presidential Campaigns: From George Washington to George W. Bush
  • The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England