Start by marking “A Fragile Stone: The Emotional Life of Simon Peter” as Want to Read:
A Fragile Stone: The Emotional Life of Simon Peter

A Fragile Stone: The Emotional Life of Simon Peter

Winner of a Chicago Book Clinic 2004 Design Award! "The ultimate reason for getting to know Peter is so together we might better know Jesus. For the story of Peter is the story of Jesus. Perhaps, if you and I do our best, the same will be said of us someday"--Michael Card. Simon Peter emerges from the pages of the Gospels with greater clarity and definition than any other ...more
Published July 3rd 2003 by IVP Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Fragile Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fragile Stone

NebraskaIcebergs
Who is your favorite Biblical character? One of mine has long been Peter because, despite of how close he was to Jesus, he made many mistakes and committed many sins. From Michael Card comes The Fragile Stone, subtitled The Emotional Life of Simon Peter. It covers every encounter that Peter had with Jesus, as well as Peter's life as a preacher, healer, prisoner, reconciler, and writer. I continue to enjoy each new book I read by Card.

What I like about Card is he does not claim to know all the an
Rachel
Absolutely *LOVED* this book! Not so deep as other books I've read, but definitely heart warming. An excellent book on the life of Peter - from denial to complete service to the Lord. :) A great read, recommend to everyone!

My sweet sister found this book and it fit so perfectly for a challenge in memorizing the book of 1 Peter on Meditations of His Love devotional blog. This was PERFECT!

"A Fragile Stone speaks to wobbly disciples who never seem to get it all together and to naive leaders who thi
Rick
Feb 09, 2012 Rick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is a gem of a book. I finished it in only 3 days because I couldn't stop reading, I loved it!
Card uncovers personal perspectives about Peter and about Jesus. Some highlights (among MANY) that struck me:
WHEN Peter tried to walk on water:
"The lesson is that Peter needed to sink in order to take that next step of faith in Jesus. Because walking on the water does not ultimately increase our faith, only sinking does! Those who ask for miracles and receive them soon forget. But those who suffer f
Amanda
Nov 24, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I simply ADORED this book. I started falling in love with Peter when I was re-reading the Gospels this past summer. I realized how much I have in common with him, and that no matter how many times he screwed up, Jesus still loved him. At that point, I decided I wanted to learn everything there was to know about him.

This is the first (and only) book I've ever read specifically about Simon Peter, but it was exactly what I was looking for. I told a couple of people that Peter is my favorite person
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Slight but easily-read study of the life of Peter, who in Card's hands becomes the most passionately-colored Disciple and Apostle. No deep theology, just an interesting portrait. One interesting insight is that Jesus renamed Simon "the Rock" (Peter), then never called him that. As Card says, "the Rock" isn't a name, it is at best a title, as in Simon the Rock, Simon Peter, then Card draws the parallel to Jesus the Christ, Jesus Christ!

Card makes a compelling case for Peter as Jesus' best friend.
Bethany
Aug 31, 2011 Bethany rated it really liked it
This book humanizes Simon Peter in a way I've never considered before - the ups and downs of trust and love and denial and forgiveness. Seeing him in this light - as a fallible human being whom God trusted enough to entrust sheep-feeding to - reminds me of the love and generosity of our Savior and His desire to use us - even in our fallibility and brokenness - to accomplish great things for His kingdom.

Well based in Scripture, this book does conjecture a little, but posits possibilities rather
Adam Graham
Dec 13, 2016 Adam Graham rated it really liked it
Michael Card gives us an inside look at the oft-overlooked Simon Peter. It's rare to read a book about Peter particularly from a Protestant perspective. Card focuses on Peter's emotional life. Card does a good job of getting readers to use their imagination to understand what Peter went through at key points. His insights on Holy Week are particularly profound.

However, in using imagination, Card manages not to cross the line into undue speculation but rather to draw out some very probable and o
Applehillcottage
Jan 02, 2013 Applehillcottage rated it it was amazing
Michael Card writes books like he writes songs--lyrical, beautiful prose. I didn't want this book to end. He examines Peter's life from his initial call, his first confession, his miracle walk, his babbling in the face of deity on the Mount of Transfiguration, to his ultimate betrayal and forgiveness. On each page you will discover Peter anew, and be reminded that "he is us." I taught this for an adult Sunday school class and I couldn't decide which sections to read because they are all so insig ...more
Claire Burlap
May 30, 2014 Claire Burlap rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting and well-written book, overall. It might have been because it was 2 in the morning by the time I got to this point, but I felt that Part 2 lacked some of the appeal of Part 1. I felt that the book became less about Peter himself and more about the events of his life. However, it was still a good book, and very easy to read. I sat down with it at 11 and was finished by 2:30. It was enjoyable and intriguing. I would recommend it to anyone interested in Simon Peter (I do ...more
Scott Wozniak
Aug 24, 2015 Scott Wozniak rated it really liked it
This is a short, charming, and thoughtful look at the life of Simon Peter, the Apostle. He mentions some of the stories and traditions that exist about Peter's life, but is careful to focus on what the Scripture says, not the less certain stories. He also does a great job of avoiding sermonizing on Peter's life and teaching. He just discusses the life and heart of a man who, as he makes a strong case for, was likely Jesus' best friend during the ministry years. My only wish is that he would have ...more
Dec 13, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who want to understand Peter better
Recommended to Sarah by: Rachel Phillips
I can think of no better way to end my year of studying 1 Peter on Meditations of His Love (http://meditationsofhislove.blogspot....), then reading this book.
Michael Card did a wonderful job of telling us about the life of Peter and giving us a glimpse into his heart. He reminded me that, even though I fail often like Peter, God can use me for great things.
Sherree Funk
Jul 14, 2009 Sherree Funk rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. I love Peter and Michael Card has great insight into his character and emotions as he rocks through life on his most amazing spiritual journey. THe friendship between Peter and Jesus is brought out, and this adds to my understanding of the flesh and bones Christ. Excellent book, very biblical, covering the life of Peter from Gospels, through Acts, and even his letters.
Jonathan Woodward
Oct 24, 2012 Jonathan Woodward rated it liked it
Meh. It was a good little read, but nothing spectacular. It felt almost like a devotional. Since I'm not too big on devotionals, I didn't like this book that much. It does, however, give a good depiction of the life of the Apostle Peter. If that's your thing, you'll probably rate this book at least a 4.
Irina T
Feb 17, 2016 Irina T rated it it was amazing
Full of new insights and very touching.
"If we are to be "living stones", if the church is to go on being built the way Jesus desires it to be built, then Peter's story must in some sense become our story. Only then will our story become like Peter's, the story of Jesus."
Josiah
Plot: B
Writing: B
Vocabulary: A
Level: Easy
Rating: G
Worldview: Simon Peter was a real person, not just a religious figurehead. He and Jesus were friends who helped define each other.

Angela
Jul 13, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
In-depth study of the life of Peter.Well researched.
Paula Lemus
This book is a great look at Peter's life. Michael truly digs into who Peter was and how his life could and maybe should affect each of our lives.
Cindy
May 25, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I am really enjoying this book. Short chapters give you good things to think about.
Cindy
Jan 12, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
I have always been interested in Peter because at least he "got out of the boat". The writer explores Peter's life in detail. I enjoyed this author's journey through Peter's life.
Jul 14, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A wonderfully written look into the life of the Apostle Peter. This book brought the mysterious Disciple of Jesus into a whole new light for me and allowed me to read the Gospels with new eyes!
Erin- SeRiAL Book Reader Whittenberger
Fantastic afternoon read... All about Peter, Jesus and the other disciples in the bible
kenneth l larson
kenneth l larson rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Alli O
Alli O rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Mike Studdard
Mike Studdard rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Marilyn Howard
Marilyn Howard rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Candice
Aug 22, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!
Faithful
Faithful rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Lost Baron: A Story of England in the Year 1200
  • Teach Us to Want: Longing, Ambition & the Life of Faith
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All (Great Lives Series)
  • Look and Live: Behold the Soul-Thrilling, Sin-Destroying Glory of Christ
  • The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus
  • Wrestling with an Angel: A Story of Love, Disability and the Lessons of Grace
  • Baptism: Three Views
  • Things Not Seen: A Fresh Look at Old Stories of Trusting God's Promises
  • New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context
  • Always True: God's 5 Promises When Life Is Hard
  • Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith
  • Midnight Ride (A Gates Family Mystery, #2)
  • Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible
  • Reliving the Passion: Meditations on the Suffering, Death, and the Resurrection of Jesus as Recorded in Mark.
  • Children of the Living God
  • Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • The Bookends of the Christian Life

Michael Card (born April 11, 1957) is an American Christian singer-songwriter, musician, author, and radio host from Franklin, Tennessee. He is best known for his contributions in contemporary Christian music, which couple folk-style melodies and instrumentation with lyrics that stem from intensive study of the
More about Michael Card...

“True friends define each other.” 9 likes
“Cool morning shadows sadly shift across the floor
Each time we say goodbye it’s harder than before
Even after all the pain of parting still we find
That we must mourn the death of the dreams we leave behind

As I turn my back on all that means the most to me
The sounds and smells, the light that dances on the sea
The greatest gamble is to act on the belief
That only the slave who leaves it all is truly free

The sacrifice that we both lay before His feet
A thousand moments that belonged to us
That now will never be

By faith we hold a better dream inside our hearts
A time when our family will never have to be apart
Till then we struggle with just what it really means
And we will mourn the death of our beautiful dreams
Mourn the death of our beautiful dreams”
7 likes