Start by marking “The Yoga of Jesus: Understanding the Hidden Teachings of the Gospels” as Want to Read:
The Yoga of Jesus: Understanding the Hidden Teachings of the Gospels

The Yoga of Jesus: Understanding the Hidden Teachings of the Gospels

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  331 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In this remarkable book, Paramahansa Yogananda reveals the hidden yoga of the Gospels and confirms that Jesus, like the ancient sages and masters of the East, not only knew yoga but taught this universal science of God-realization to his closest disciples. Compiled from the author's highly praised two-volume work, The Second Coming of Christ: The Resurrection of the Christ ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Self-Realization Fellowship Publishers (first published August 24th 2007)

Gerald Brewster
Mar 26, 2014 Gerald Brewster rated it it was amazing
Loved it enough to buy he magnum opus by Yogananda from which it was compressed, "The Second Coming of Christ: The Resurrection of the Christ Within You", and "Kriya Yoga: Continuing the Lineage of Enlightenment". When I attain Christ Consciousness I'll let you know.
JJ W
Aug 18, 2009 JJ W rated it really liked it
Paramahansa Yogananda has a unique way of highlighting yoga's "highway" approach to finding the divine. This book points out the key sign posts. The book helped me understand what Jesus was talking about in a way that's practical and enlightening. After reading this book, it's clearer to me that Jesus was an enlightened person rather than a supernatural only begotten son of god. Scholarship unearthed after Yogananda wrote this book helps prove his points. Highly recommended for recovering Protes ...more
Monica
Sep 04, 2009 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The word "Yoga" really means "union". To me, Yoga is a sort of spiritual science of our energy flows and consciousness, and most people think of it as physical poses, although that is only one branch or type of yoga (Hatha Yoga). Some others are Karma, Mantra, Bhakti, Jnana, and Raja yogas. Of course Jesus practiced selfless service, all-surrendering devotion, wisdom, etc. which are all part of yoga. This book approaches Christ's teachings as they align themselves with an East Indian point of re ...more
John
Jun 19, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
interesting insights from yogananda's world view of cosmic consciousness and hinduism with parallels to the bhagavad gita clearly demonstrated and outlined in the text.
Killiankarlsson
Jul 20, 2013 Killiankarlsson rated it it was amazing
Incredible book. I will definitely read 'the second coming'. Shatters any misconception that the dogmatic approach to Christianity has passed through the years. Inspiring.
Misty
Jun 16, 2015 Misty rated it really liked it
Interesting. As a devout Mormon, who also does yoga and meditation, I see many parallels in here to what I believe is truth. But also many places that we differ. There are several beautiful passages and I appreciated how he connected his hindu belief system to the teachings of Jesus. I love learning about the many belief systems in the world, and this was no exception. There are certainly portions of this book that will stick with me.

A couple favorite quotes.

The light of God shines equally in a
Joy Ayscue
Mar 13, 2008 Joy Ayscue rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in metaphysics & spirituality
If you are interested in the metaphysical teachings of the enlightened master, Jesus, this is a great place to begin !
Richard Holmes
Dec 27, 2011 Richard Holmes rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is a bit heavy going (it took me a few months to read because I had to keep going back and re-reading various passages)it is one of the few books that can genuinly be classed as "life changing". As well as giving a truthful insight into the teachings of Christ, as opposed to the unsubstantiated religious dogma that has been shoved down people's throats for 100's of years, it also gives an in-depth interpretation of various passages from the Bible that have been misunderstoo ...more
Eestrat
Jun 20, 2015 Eestrat rated it really liked it
very nice little primer on the experience of christ consciousness (the essence of Christianity minus the perils of imposed rules and divisive secularism) an account of jesus' lost years travelling the east and the essential oneness of the ideals espoused by both jesus and krishna.
Linda
Jul 02, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Some very thought provoking concepts were introduced but it felt disjointed to me perhaps because it was bits and pieces taken from the larger work. A good intro and intriguing enough for me to consider reading the two-volume commentary.
Caroline
Apr 26, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it
"Behold, the Kingdom of God is within You." All great teachings point to the same thing, going within to realize the Self, the Christ Consciousness. This is a book I got in 2008 without really understanding why and I am only reading it with understanding now.
Penny McDaniel
Jan 11, 2015 Penny McDaniel rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about the hidden yoga of the Gospels.
Thuc Le
good book
Dan Pfeiffer
Mar 10, 2015 Dan Pfeiffer rated it really liked it
A profound classic for any belief denomination.
Terri
Mar 18, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it
Most of this book I loved. I got a little irritated at his constant "sell" of yoga. I understand it's benefits, but yoga is not the only way to reach God. Almost as annoying as a fundamentalist, but thankfully those sections are brief. Other than that, this was a fantastic book that I highly recommend. So many "Wow, he really understands" moments.
Tammy Mabra
Mar 20, 2010 Tammy Mabra rated it liked it
I love Yogananda and found some of the insights in this book eye-opening, but I didn't resonate with all of them. His referral to God as masculine rather than gender neutral and tends to trip me up in the reading process, although I know it's just semantics.
Chandan Priyadarshi
Apr 09, 2012 Chandan Priyadarshi marked it as to-read
Shelves: jesus-christ
I would like to study this awesome book by Paramhansa Yogananada, revealing some unknown truth about Jesus and also proved that Jesus lived in India for a long period of time and studied Vedic Scriptures, Buddhism etc...
Esperanza
Apr 03, 2012 Esperanza is currently reading it
Fuck, I saw this book on a shelve once and I was guna get it, but I turned around and saw the Yoga of the Bavagahad Gita, with Kirsna all Lotus on the front; got that one instead. But this ones a definite future read.
Greg
Aug 12, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing
This book does an amazing job of comparing yoga beliefs and practices to Christianity and how a lot of Christianity contains yoga practices.
Richard
Jan 10, 2011 Richard rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. I used this as a primer to see if I really want to read Yogananda's "The Second Coming of Christ." Well, I do.
Patti
Jun 25, 2008 Patti rated it it was amazing
It bears witness to the fact that we are all closely connected and deeply rooted. We are all of one Source...
Bwhittell Whittell
different take then your traditional western approach to religion, but interesting.
Joe Winifred
Aug 01, 2013 Joe Winifred rated it it was amazing
Esoteric and I'd not recommend this book to sunday christians at any cost.
Cathy Hartle
Loaned out this book; hope to finish when returned to me.
Paula
Feb 13, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shala
Aug 07, 2012 Shala rated it really liked it
I actually found this to be interesting
Angela
Jun 29, 2011 Angela rated it it was ok
Need to reread.
Rilan Rivera
Rilan Rivera marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Chelsea Brown
Chelsea Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
  • The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
  • Resurrecting Jesus: Embodying the Spirit of a Revolutionary Mystic
  • The Wise Man Returns
  • Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • Indra's Net: Defending Hinduism's Philosophical Unity
  • Ramakrishna and His Disciples
  • Meeting the Mystery: Exploring the Aware Presence at the Heart of All Life
  • The Lost Years of Jesus: Documentary Evidence of Jesus' 17-Year Journey to the East
  • The Life of Christ
  • Science of Being and Art of Living: Transcendental Meditation
  • Did God Have a Wife? Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel
  • The Gospel of Thomas: The Hidden Sayings of Jesus
Paramahansa Yogananda (Bengali: পরমহংস যোগাননদ Pôromohôngsho Joganondo, Sanskrit: परमहंस योगानंद Paramahaṃsa Yogānaṃda), born Mukunda Lal Ghosh (Bengali: মুকুনদ লাল ঘোষ Mukundo Lal Ghosh), was an Indian yogi and guru who introduced many westerners to the teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his book, Autobiography of a Yogi . ...more
More about Paramahansa Yogananda...