Start by marking “Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga” as Want to Read:
Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga

Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga

Mainstream America is finally catching on to what Eastern countries have known for thousands of years--that yoga is not only a great, low-impact way to increase flexibility and reduce stress, it is also useful in healing any number of afflictions, from common aches and pains to chronic diseases and emotional setbacks. In this easy to follow guide for practitioners at all l ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Penguin Books

Equating the Equations of Insanity by Durgesh SatpathyThe Living Memories Project by Meryl AinEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertFree Fall by Amber Lea EastonLove Is Stronger Than Death by Stanley M. Giannet
Healing Care Resources
17th out of 149 books — 161 voters
Light on Yoga by B.K.S. IyengarAutobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa YoganandaOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RayThe Yoga Sutras by Swami SatchidanandaBhagavad Gita by Anonymous
Yoga Teacher Training
19th out of 61 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Shannon Allstott
Aug 13, 2009 Shannon Allstott rated it it was amazing
We're using this book as our text for my Viniyoga teacher training classes. At first it seemed like an enormous amount of information, but as we utilize it in class I'm finding that it barely scratches the surface. It's a really good basis for learning the basics of Viniyoga (a therapeutic form of hatha yoga).
AJ
I had to learn some of the concepts in this book for an upcoming dance training intensive, so I decided to go ahead and read the entire thing.

There's a couple of things I like about this book:
The author is all about encouraging yoga practitioners to modify each posture as needed to accommodate their own body. He spells out how strict adherence to "textbook perfect" form can result in injury, or just a less-efficient practice for your body. He also discusses common "release valves" where postures
Ashley Throw
Mar 11, 2016 Ashley Throw rated it it was amazing
I recommend this people constantly. It's a favorite of mine. It breaks down yoga sequences into something that's easy to understand/follow. There's a yoga practice for anything and everything. I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Audra
Aug 14, 2012 Audra rated it liked it
Solid information and a decent resource, though there are books that I prefer (Yoga as Medicine being one of them). Too much time on samples and not enough on the theory underneath, even though it discusses extensively how individualized these programs must be. The primary benefit of this book for me was the brief introduction to the different systems of the body, which few other yoga books discuss. I feel more prepared to study A&P deeper with these refresher notes in my notebook.
Wendy Holcombe
This book has a lot of good information. The instructions for the poses and the photos showing them are very good.

The one thing I didn't really like about this book was the use of all the long foreign words for the names of the poses. I like seeing that, but I'd also have like to have seen what we normally call the pose in Englis. When I go to yoga class the instructor doesn't tell us to move into Adho Mukha Svanasana, she says to move into Downward Facing Dog.
Tracy Weber
Sep 03, 2013 Tracy Weber rated it really liked it
This is a mandatory textbook in my yoga teacher training program. I agree with other reviewers that in places it barely scratches the surface, and there are a couple of mistakes that I'm sorry weren't fixed in later editions.

However, as a teacher training reference, it's one of the best.
Shirley
Nov 15, 2012 Shirley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in learning more about yoga or in the study of yoga therapy
A great resource for understanding the yogic principles and the value to mental, physical and spiritual well-being. Gary Kraftsow is my teacher and writes with the depth of knowledge he has learned over 40 years of study.
Robyn
Used this a few times, there's even a practice specifically for Crohn's, but I've always found yoga from a book less fulfilling, so it ended up stuck in a box for years and now gets to go to someone else, hopefully help them.
Pree Bee
Aug 28, 2015 Pree Bee rated it it was amazing
a good book for teachers who deal with students who have health problems.
a book to keep, and reread, reference, learn and teach from.
mary susan kearney
I'm taking vini yoga so found this book very enlightening. Enjoyed learning about the practice.
Natalie
Sep 05, 2007 Natalie rated it really liked it
it helped deepen my understanding of my own practice
Tina
Aug 17, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing
using this one all the time!!!
Miranda
Feb 02, 2009 Miranda is currently reading it
Teacher Training
Jennifer Iiames
Jennifer Iiames marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Carrie Irwin
Carrie Irwin marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Elise Lewis
Elise Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Taryn Burns
Taryn Burns marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Derek
Derek added it
Sep 12, 2016
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Michael Douglas
Michael Douglas rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Ayushi
Ayushi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
TaraHu
TaraHu rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Kiersten
Kiersten marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Nat27
Nat27 marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga