Start by marking “Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship” as Want to Read:
Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship

Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Drawing on decades of experience training yoga teachers and cowriting the California Yoga Teachers Association (CYTA) code of ethics, Donna Farhi offers the first book to set professional standards for teaching yoga. Teaching Yoga explores with depth and compassion a variety of topics both practical and philosophical, including how to create healthy boundaries; the student ...more
Published September 25th 2006 by Rodmell Press

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Yoga

Beth
Jul 25, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yoga teachers and studio owners/directors
Shelves: yoga-meditation
This book should be required reading for any yoga teacher training. Not only does it bring up good ethics questions and promote discussion, it lays a foundation for how teachers should teach (and why they should - or shouldn't).

I've long felt that yoga in the West is seen as simply a form of exercise. But true yoga is so much more - it is a lifestyle, it is a belief system, it is the earnest undertaking of a practice to not only better yourself, but the world as a whole. I love that this book l
Victoria Klein
May 30, 2012 Victoria Klein rated it really liked it
Having read 2 of Donna's books already, I've come to deeply appreciate her frank & professional writing style - and this book is no exception. Donna addresses the complex reality of the student-teacher relationships & the lack of stable/established regulations in the Yoga industry. This book was published in 2006 and, sadly, I think we still haven't made much progress in that area.

Back to the book! Donna firmly established the need for professionalism on the part of Yoga teachers & r
Michelle
May 04, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Farhi raises questions which are important to consider for any teacher. Although her specific context is teaching yoga there is value here in considering similar ethics in any teaching context. Of particular note is the nature of the student-teacher relationship. How does the student perceive the teacher? What is motivating the teacher? How do we keep it healthy and above reproach while guiding students to independence?

Within the yoga context she addresses such topics as the dangers of charismat
coffeealias
Feb 01, 2011 coffeealias rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
Useful for those interested in teaching yoga only, this book provides moments of ponder on some ethical dilemmas found in any subject classroom. It does so beautifully interwoven with Pantanjali's sutras. Foremost, the book challenges any yogi-wannabe that a profession of teaching Yoga must accompany the practice of living truthfully - that is to say, within the stated yamas and niyamas. Questions follow a short case study. Questions like, "Notice if you enjoy being put on a pedestal. How does i ...more
Christine
Sep 05, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
My first reflection after reading Teaching Yoga by Donna Farhi, is that I have SO much more to learn. The more I learn, the more I realize that I’ve only scratched the surface – really this applies to everything in life. Teaching yoga gives much insight into some of the ethical and operational dilemnas yoga teachers face. I absolutely recommend reading it for anyone considering teaching yoga....and probably re-reading again after teaching yoga for a year or more as a reminder. Read on if you are ...more
Sian Lile-Pastore
Jul 25, 2014 Sian Lile-Pastore rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
I love reading Donna Farhi books - she's so wise! gosh!
Shellee
Jan 28, 2014 Shellee rated it really liked it
Great book to read for yoga teachers. Looks at teaching from an ethical standpoint. Very insightful.
Audra
Jul 26, 2012 Audra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
This is a book that I will return to, time and again. The ethical inquiries that Donna includes are especially powerful as a teacher-in-training, for I truly had not even thought about preparing myself for many of these situations -- and they are all events that have actually occurred to yoga teachers. Donna also assisted me in thinking through the process of holding to ethics and purpose in becoming a teacher, while being surrounded by the "business" of yoga. I highly recommend.
Lindsay
Oct 27, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
This book is really helpful. It's only 150 pages (without the glossary and bibliography), and it covers a lot of material without being dense. It really made me think about what it means to be a yoga teacher, the ethical dilemmas I might encounter, and how I might choose to deal with them. Farhi is very obviously qualified to write such a book, and I think her extensive knowledge on the subject is a boon to anyone who is thinking about teaching yoga.
Nicole
Aug 12, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
I have embarked down the amazing pathway of yoga teaching and this is an amazing thorough account of guiding those on their mats. At times very severe in her stance (i.e. not being friends with students), Farhi has a wealth of experience and colleagues' opinions to support whatever opinion she is voicing. Moreover, she provides thought provoking questions to tug at the ethical strings in all of us.
Stacey
Sep 20, 2013 Stacey rated it it was amazing
If you have been a yoga teacher for years, are currently in training, or are thinking of becoming a yoga teacher- please please read this book. It may come off as a whole bunch of common sense but, more importantly, it speaks to true meaning & purpose of being a yoga TEACHER rather than a yoga INSTRUCTOR. Lots of ethics discussed. But then again, I love reading about ethics.
Sondra
Nov 08, 2014 Sondra rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, yoga
Interesting questions, concise, lots of opinions.
Nan
Jul 07, 2011 Nan rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
Amazing resource for yoga teachers! Required reading for the Therapist Training course I'm taking with Essential Yoga Therapy.
Alice
Mar 05, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
Every Yoga teacher needs to study this book. What it has about ethics and the teacher-student relationship is really unique.
Adrian Ionel
Nov 02, 2011 Adrian Ionel rated it it was amazing
From the perspective of a student: spot-on. And incredibly well written.
Tasneem  Zafer
Aug 21, 2012 Tasneem Zafer rated it it was amazing
One of my bestest yoga books ever!! It helped me a lot during my yoga journey!
Tulasi Adeva
Tulasi Adeva rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Mlcronin
Mlcronin marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Tân Yến
Tân Yến marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Selma Pettersson
Selma Pettersson rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Henneke
Henneke rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Dr Mahesh
Dr Mahesh rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Karen Hilton
Karen Hilton rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Pamela B. Kopfer
Pamela B. Kopfer rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Pascale
Pascale marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Ursula Webb
Ursula Webb marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga Body: The Origins of Modern Posture Practice
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing