Essential Ayurveda: What It Is and What It Can Do for You

Essential Ayurveda: What It Is and What It Can Do for You

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Ayurveda is perhaps one of the most popular "holistic" health practices in the United States. Based on 5,000 years of practice and observation and popularized in part in the works of Deepak Chopra, "ayurveda" translates into "the science of life" and takes into account the spiritual, mental, and physcial aspects of health. After a brief definition of ayurveda and the basic...more
Published February 14th 2003 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Essential Ayurveda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Ayurveda

Monica Casanova
The ancient medicine tradition of Ayurveda is explained in the most detailed yet understandable way. The author is the perfect communicator of this extensive tradition that is embedded in Indian Culture. The teachings of Ayurveda are made simple and understandable in this book, but most of all it makes connections to modern day living. This book allows the reader to really see how one can adapt this ancient tradition in their own life, no matter the circumstances largely because much emphasis is...more
Jen
Easy, fluid read that puts Ayurveda into practical, how-to terms. I rarely make it cover to cover through a “healthy book” these days. However, I am enjoying learning more about Ayurveda and I like the fact that this book is more "Americanized", to avoid too much religious discussion that is often associated with Ayurveda. The concepts are down to earth and focused on finding your personal balance. There are not prescriptions or take-this-for-that type of ideas, more simple concepts that are alw...more
Kenadi Moore
The concept of Ayurveda was introduced to me by my yoga instructor and I find it quite fascinating. To describe it at an extremely high level, I would say Ayurveda is a system to help recognize what your mind and body needs and to encourage you to take the the time to meet those needs. Who can't get behind that?

While I don't think full adoption of the lifestyle would ever be in the cards for me, there are definitely little nuggets I will take from this book and incorporate into my life.

Belann
The book gives a good overview of Ayurvedic medicine. Makes you really want to see a qualified vaidya (Ayurvedic practitioner). Ayurvedic healing is probably the oldest healing tradition in the world. The tradition was recorded between 4500 and 1600 B.C. The system incorporates seasonal eating using grains, nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruits according to constitutional type, vatta, pitta, kapha. I think it is a system of healing well worth studying.
Alyssa
Essential reading for anyone interested in embarking on a path towards wholistic healing and alternative lifestyle. A very simple, boiled down, summary of Ayurveda, a subject that is quite challenging to research due to the fact that it is a living science, or something that is passed down from person to person. In this book Ms. Krishan offers a western perspective even though her childhood and roots are Indian.
Barklah
I am a bit skeptical of alternative health these days, but I read an article about my "dosha" in ayurveda and it described me so perfectly, I wanted to learn more. I really enjoyed this book and it had a number of great ideas about how to live more healthfully and happily - whether it's truly different or just common sense packaged in a different way, I'm not sure, but I liked it all the same.
Kylie
This is a great starter guide to Ayurveda. I am just starting to learn about this ancient holistic medicinal practice. This author writes with such warmth and love about the topic this book can't help but get under your skin. This book is a very important contribution to the topic.
Francine
Without exception this is the best book I have read on Ayurveda and I have read 2 others previously. This books is well written and very nicely organized. I will keep this one and recommend it to others who are interested in this ancient tradition.
Nicki Wood
Very interesting approach to taking care of yourself. I particularly like the anti - all or nothing approach. Do what you can and let the rest of the advice in the book go - it's all about not causing yourself more stress.
Annie
I am partially through it and am enjoying it and learning about ayurveda. Jaya Devi gave it to me while I was visiting in Atlanta. Ayurveda is an ancient way of life and deals with wellness of mind, body and spirit.
Jade Hallam
It's like this book reminded me of some long forgotten wisdom. Great ideas to help create a healthier and more fulfilled life. Easy to read information.
Kelly Rae
Too much of a life change for me right now, but if I was a stay at home wife with nothing better to do I would totally immense myself in this.
Jessica
Amazing book- very easy to read and understand. If you are interested in learning about ayurveda, I highly recommend it.
Melissapughjensen Jensen
If anyone is into holistic approaches and ways of life, I HIGHLY recommend this book...
Barb
An easy to read, easy to understand overall guide to Ayurveda.
Morgan Curtis
User-friendly but not my favorite book on Ayurveda.
Kelly Beaudoin
Great intro book.
Dana
Loved it.
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jennifer is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Corstiaan
Corstiaan is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Radiant Body, Restful Mind: A Woman's Book of Comfort The 9-to-5 Yogi: How to Feel Like a Sage while Working Like a Dog

“The Ayurvedic route to great health involves two simple steps:
1. Doing less;
2. Being more.”
0 likes
“The great thing about Ayurveda is that its treatments always yield side benefits, not side effects.” 0 likes