Start by marking “I Love It When You Smile” as Want to Read:
I Love It When You Smile

I Love It When You Smile (Little Nutbrown Hare)

When Little Roo wakes up, he just feels grumpy. His mother tries everything she can to make him feel better, but nothing she does makes any difference. So how will a deep, wide, and muddy-at-the-bottom hole make Little Roo smile?

From the bestselling author of Guess How Much I Love You comes a story that will guarantee a smile and a laugh from even the grumpiest reader.
Published March 14th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Love It When You Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love It When You Smile

Possum Magic by Mem FoxAnimalia by Graeme BaseDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
172nd out of 292 books — 152 voters
Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyYou're All My Favorites by Sam McBratneyI'll Always Be Your Friend by Sam McBratneyJimmy Zest by Sam McBratneyJimmy Zest Is Best by Sam McBratney
Best of Sam McBratney
18th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 29, 2015 Camie rated it really liked it
By the author of the classic Guess How Much I Love You, this was the book I chose this month for my sometimes pouty 4 year old granddaughter, who loves Kangaroos. My 7 year old grandson loved that he could read it to her ( after a once through for a few tricky words) and enjoyed the story too.I love it when they both smile. 4 stars
Stef Rozitis
Sep 26, 2016 Stef Rozitis rated it it was ok
having spent my whole entire life plagued by the smile police I am against trying to make people smile. That goes double for children who have little power to choose their own routines. By all means teach them to be polite and positively reinforce smiling and friendliness but the idea of trying to "make" someone smile send shivers down my spine. I hate it most when guys do it but in fact I don;t want anyone to do it. Sometimes a bad mood just needs to run its course, or maybe you do need cheerin ...more
Cara Byrne
Oct 25, 2016 Cara Byrne rated it it was ok
Picked out by my kangaroo-loving daughter at the library, this book caught her with the cover art but lost her by page 3. The illustrations are topsy and turvy, capturing the the movement of the kangaroos bouncing down a hill (and eventually into a mud pit). In terms of books that address frustration and being in a bad mood, this book is not one of my favorites.
Mollie B
Sep 20, 2016 Mollie B rated it it was amazing
Crabby? What to do?
Aug 29, 2013 Chlöe rated it liked it
"It's Lovely When You Smile" is a colourful and exciting short story book suitable for young children. It could be used as a class story time book or as an independent reading book for more advanced Key Stage 1 readers.

Little Roo is having a grumpy day despite the beautiful sunshine and the presence of his loving mother, she tries her best to get Roo to just smile: bouncing him in the air; sneaking up on him; throwing leaves around him. Nothing seems to work. Mum then decides that it is time fo
Tim Roast
Nov 17, 2013 Tim Roast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s lovely when your child smiles. This is one of my 2-almost-3-year-old’s favourite bedtime stories at the moment.

The story is about Roo the child Kangaroo who is grumpy and his mother is trying to get him to smile. But he doesn’t, not until the end of the story of course.

The pictures are quality throughout and always contain Roo and his mum, plus a duck, mouse, and a bee who just like following them around.

My daughter likes to pretend she doesn’t want to smile throughout too, until the end wh
Dec 01, 2007 Deidra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Written Sam McBratney, illustrated by Charles Fuge. Published by Harper Collins Publishers, copyright 2001.

Grade level: 1st or 2nd

When baby Roo wakes up one morning, he is in a bad mood and just plain grumpy. His mother tries everything to get him to smile, but nothing works. She tries and tries until a mud pit gets Roo to finally crack a smile.

This is a wonderful heart-warming story that anyone who has ever had a bad day can enjoy. The illustrations are great, and it shows little kids how much
I do love Fuge as an illustrator. They are all so adorable and it makes the books truly heart-warming. The story is fun, too. I think better than "Guess How Much I Love You." And one I can very much relate to--as a child, a teen, an adult, an aunt, and now a children's librarian.

8/10/10 Not too bad. The group was not as responsive as I'd hoped for. But they still liked the ending and all gave me smiles when I asked for them.

8/12/10 The reading went so much better with this group. Lots of smiles
Feb 28, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it
Summary: A grumpy little kangaroo is having a bad day until his mother finds a way to make him smile. She tries everything to get a little grim out of him but it isn't until they all fall into the mud that the child smiles.

My 2 1/2 year old really likes this book right now. When reading, you have to move the book around as some pages present vertically and some horizontally.

Nice to use with theme for Mother's Day, love, etc.
Sara Larson
May 23, 2013 Sara Larson rated it it was amazing
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Age: 4 and up
Summary: Little Roo is having a bad day. His momma is trying to cheer him up. She does everything that she can think of; throwing him up in the air, playing peek-a-boo, but...Roo is still cranky. Finally, Roo and his mom fall into a mud pit. They are covered in mud, and finally....little Roo is laughing and smiling again.
Reflection: I love this book. It has made my son Noah smile so many times when he was mad......It really works!
Jul 20, 2016 Kendra rated it it was amazing
This book has a nice little muddy payoff moment that leaves kids laughing, but it also holds a lot of meaning for the moms and caregivers who listen in the background as I read books aloud to kids at Story Time and at day cares. McBratney is a reliably excellent author who seems to have a good handle on how much text per page is appropriate for small children's attention spans, and whose storylines are always rich. I highly recommend this book for around Mother's Day or in springtime.
Apr 19, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it liked it
I love it when you smile by mcbratney: I love this book. Perfect for the beginning reader. This is a great book that shows a mothers love and how sometimes a little smile and laugh is needed. It also has the best illustrations with such comical faces. I would recommend this book to be read on parents day!
Jul 04, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: kristi-books
This is one of those books you want to read to sneak in some cuddles. I like trying to get my daughter to smile at every page. The fonts do fun stuff, going sideways and all. It is also neat that there are things like bees, mice, and geese on the pages, so that she has lots of familiar things to point out (even though they aren't part of the storyline). Illustrations are nice to.
Oct 15, 2013 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: caregivers of grumpy kids
Little Roo is feeling grumpy and nothing Mom does can make him smile.

I included this because I had lots of books about being happy and I wanted something about a different emotion. However, I have a real challenging story time group of 2's who have a very limited attention span, so this was a little long. (One little girl told me after story time that she was having a challenging day.)
Jun 26, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
My co librarian loves this book. She tells me all the time how much she loves it. She says she loves the illustrations and expressions of Roo. So today I read it...and I didn't love it like she did. If I don't want to smile, I don't want to be forced to smile -it is annoying. But this book does have cute illustrations.
Apr 20, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Out of all of the books that my daughter and I read together, this is my #1 favorite. The story is very relatable, even for very young children. It's easy to understand and tells a wonderful story! The illustrations are soooo cute! Little Roo is adorable as are all of the other characters in the book. If you love to read to your children, this book is a MUST!!!
Oct 14, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
A very cute story about a young kangaroo who simply did not want to smile. Everyone wanted to know why he was so grumpy and what could be done to make things better. The kids enjoyed the variety of tactics being used in the story in an attempt to cheer him up during storytime. They especially enjoyed the ending. Great for younger aged preschoolers.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
My kids love this book. We pull it out from time to time to read it.

May 09, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy
I thought this was incredibly cute. Some might look at the little kangaroo and think "brat" but I understand those days where you just don't want to smile. I don't think the "kid" was disrespectful to his mother which was one of my concerns.. Adorable.
Sandi Roe
Oct 16, 2014 Sandi Roe rated it it was amazing
We all have those days when we are a little grumpy. Little Roo is having one of those days, and he doesn't know why. His mother tries everything she can think of to get a smile out of him, but he is really grumpy. This was a great story time book.
May 31, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
I happened to read this on a day when my own child was cranky and upset and unwilling to smile, just like the young kangaroo. With the help of this book and some silliness on my part, I put a happy, smiling child to bed the night I read this. Great illustrations and cute story.
Jun 22, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I absolutely love the illustrations in this book. And my kids do too. Such wonderful expressions on Baby Roo's face! This is such a great story for grumpy kids. I think I should buy it for 'those days'.

Lots of fun. Very cute.
Kim Foy
Mar 24, 2012 Kim Foy rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
This is an adorable story of a baby kangaroo named Roo who is not happy and refuses to smile. His mom tries everything, but nothing seems to work until they both fall in the mud puddle together.The book portrays the deep affection a mother has for her little ones.
Loved this book. Not as much as the "Guess how much I love you"- book. The drawings are also very good. Th story is a bit more 'boyish', about a grumpy little kangaroo. I suppose that when reading it to a small child, that's okay, but it was a bit strange now.
Kathryn Hogan
Apr 11, 2012 Kathryn Hogan rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
This book is so cute! I love how some of the pages are in landscape and some are portrait orientation so you have to turn the book as your reading. My little one and I had a great time reading the book and laughing at the pictures.
Feb 03, 2012 Yi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We own the French edition ... it is not listed here.

We (my two kids and I) absolutely love Charles Fuge as an illustrator. His drawings are simply fantastic, so is the story telling of this book.
Oct 17, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
Guess How Much I Love You is one of my all time favorite books, so I was anxious to see what Sam McBratney had to offer in this book. I love the message and how hard the mom kangaroo tries to make her son smile. The illustrations also were excellent.
Jul 13, 2008 Virginia rated it liked it
Man. I am so much like the grumpy baby kangaroo in this book. The mom annoyed the CRAP out of me with her relentless quest to make baby smile. Argh.

About a little kangaroo who does not want to smile. So his mother tries to make him smile by doing different things. Can you for predicting.
  • One Winter's Day
  • Swim, Little Wombat, Swim!
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • The Blind Men And The Elephant
  • Ten In The Den
  • Little Quack's Bedtime
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • Trucks Roll!
  • The Daddy Mountain
The Northern Ireland native started writing children's books when he was a teacher in his thirties, with the aim of helping out students who had trouble reading. But he continued writing for a more-personal reason: "the act of imagining simply makes me feel good," he says. The fifty-seventh book of Sam McBratney's career, and his first book with Candlewick Press, was the much-loved GUESS HOW MUCH ...more
More about Sam McBratney...

Little Nutbrown Hare (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • When I'm Big: A Guess How Much I Love You Storybook
  • Guess How Much I Love You All Year Round
  • The Adventures of Little Nutbrown Hare
  • My Baby Book: Based on Guess How Much I Love You
  • Colors Everywhere (Guess How Much I Love You)
  • Let's Play in the Snow: A Guess How Much I Love You Storybook