Don't Call It Love: Recovery From Sexual Addiction

Don't Call It Love: Recovery From Sexual Addiction

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Dr. Patrick Carnes is a creative,pioneering, and courageous human being. His books arechanging the lives ofthousands!"

"I lost three marriages, all because of affairs.""I became suicidal because of multiple intenseinvolvements."

"I spent money on sex when Ineeded it for children's clothes."

"Ilost promotion opportunities and a specialscholarship because my co-workers found...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Bantam (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Call It Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Call It Love

Monica Willyard
Apr 26, 2009 Monica Willyard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone struglling with sex addiction as well as spouses who want to understand what's going on
This book can be a great source of help, encouragement, and understanding for couples where one spouse is struggling with sexual addiction. This book can help the nonaddicted spouse to understand the addiction better and will help to explain how people recover. This helped me feel more patient and helped me understand that my husband's addiction had nothing to do with my character or value. That's worth far more than the price of the book. ;)
Jason
This was a groundbreaking work in a particularly devastating flavor of addiction. The scholarship behind it and the importance of the work is complemented by the conversational tone of the writing. It was timely and helpful and enlightening and I can never say enough about how enlightening I found it.
Travis
Interesting book. I guess this was the first book that studied sexual misbehavior and found the similarities between them and addictive behaviors. Again, some of the cases were a little blunt, but portrayed in an objective manner. Very insightful. I'll probably read it again.
Megan
THE BEST book on the subject. SOOO helpful and insightful. I feel like I just graduated with a PhD after reading this book. I couldn't put it down. Heartbreaking. It's more common than ever today due to the internet. I really liked it.
Denise
Jan 28, 2008 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sex addicts, people with sex addicts in their lives
Shelves: self-help
Want to educate yourself about sex addiction? Here's your comprehensive reference.
Randon
Read for a research project on sex addiction.
Suzuky Maria
Suzuky Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
William Irwin
William Irwin marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Alin
Alin marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Fei Teng
Fei Teng marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nashon Holder
Nashon Holder marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Stephen Bober
Stephen Bober is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jacquelyn Dickie
Jacquelyn Dickie is currently reading it
May 15, 2014
Whit
Whit marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Patrick J. Carnes, Ph.D., is an internationally known authority and speaker on addiction and recovery issues. He has authored over twenty books including the bestselling titles Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction, Facing the Shadow, Betrayal Bond, Don’t Call It Love, A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps and The Gentle Path through the Twelve Principles.

Dr. Carnes’ research provid...more
More about Patrick J. Carnes...
Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction The Betrayal Bond: Breaking Free of Exploitive Relationships A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery Sexual Anorexia: Overcoming Sexual Self-Hatred In the Shadows of the Net: Breaking Free of Compulsive Online Sexual Behavior