Start by marking “The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)

The Pact (Rachel Benjamin #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,271 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Ten years ago, a group of roommates from Harvard made a pact to kill any boyfriend or fianc they feel is inappropriate. Now, Emma's fianc has turned up dead on the morning of their wedding, and Emma wonders if one of her friends honored the pact.
Published December 1st 2004 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Pact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pact

Libby
Jan 14, 2008 Libby rated it did not like it
This book really stunk. The lion's share of the text is devoted to wish-fulfillment starting with the cast of beautiful, Harvard-educated, globe-trotting fashionistas to the bucolic country house murder site to the behaviour of the narrator's love interest, who woos her from the get-go.
In this friendship group there are no rivalries, no jealousies, no love/hate relationships or secret desires to see another fail, just like there are no blemished complexions, scuffed shoes or split ends. Hell, th
Devon
Mar 16, 2014 Devon rated it really liked it
Rachel Benjamin is dreading watching her best friend Emma walk down the aisle with the vile and despicable Richard but despite the pact that she and her friends made long ago there is nothing that she can do to stop it. You see, years ago Rachel and her four friends made a pact to always let their girlfriends know if the person they are dating is...well, shall we say for lack of more appropriate wording, "wrong for them". And if the girlfriend in question does not heed their warnings they are to ...more
Stephanie
Mar 10, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
Ten years ago, four friends made a vow. They promised that they would save each other from any worthless man who crossed their path and they would do so by any means necessary. Who would have ever thought that this pact would come back to bite them in the butt?

Rachel (the narrator) and the girls are all trying to deal with the fact that their friend Emma is about to marry scum of the earth Richard. Although they all have qualms about her pending nuptials, they grin their teeth and bear it. So wh
Kerry
Oct 15, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: 7, mystery, 2005
This was an enjoyable read. I haven't really read anything classed as "chick-lit" before, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. My pre-conceived ideas included lots of ultra-rich women in their late-twenties to early-thirties with high powered jobs and designer clothes, told first person with lots of sparkling wit and humour. The Pact includes most of these, but manages to be a nice, solid mystery story as well. It is more serious than I expected, and because of that, also a little heavier, b ...more
Ellen
Dec 29, 2011 Ellen rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, thriller
The Pact is maybe the most easily defined chick lit book that I’ve read in a long time. Which is of course, totally ok by me! What was different about this one is that it also had a murder mystery aspect, which combines my two favorite guilty pleasure reads: chick lit and thrillers.

Rachel Benjamin is an investment banker in the Adirondacks for her best friend Emma’s wedding. The morning of the ceremony, she finds him floating in the pool, dead. From then on she picks up on information and evide
Ara of My Book and My Coffee
What do you do when one of your close friends is about to marry a ‘nefarious troll’? No, he’s really not a troll, nothing supernatural or mythical about this one, just really wicked.

Rachel Benjamin and her friends are not all pleased with the upcoming wedding of Emma Furlong (their friend) and Richard Mallory (the nefarious troll). And no, it’s not because of the unflattering bridesmaid’s dresses that they are about to wear the next day. It's because of Richard - they hate him. Why he managed to
Maria (Ri)
Well, silly me, I finished this one last night and only then realized it is actually the sequel to The Pact which I also have a copy of. This one gives away much of what happens in the first one, but luckily I don't tend to hold onto book details, especially chick lit, for too long so in a couple of months I should have forgotten it all and can read The Pact without knowing the end! LOL

As for this one on its own, it was a fun light story, fast paced enough to keep my attention and keep me readin
Sopcole
Dec 30, 2015 Sopcole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Livre assez mal écrit (phrases souvent très simplistes, parfois sonnant assez ennuyeuses). Je n'ai pas aimé la fin, je m'attendais à une fin plus originale.

Cependant, je trouve que le fil de l'histoire était intéressant.
Melanie
Jul 09, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it
I've already read the second book in this series, so it was a little weird coming at this one from that viewpoint, but all in all I still liked it. Sturman went to Harvard, and I think her writing shows that, while still managing to be breezy and fun. She can get bogged down a little in details that aren't necessary (how many times can a group of people do the dishes in one book?), but the mystery was well-crafted and the story moved quickly and easily.

Reread 7/1/13 and thought about lowering my
Hermioneginny
Rachel e le sue amiche si conoscono dai tempi del college, dove collezionavano ragazzi improbabili che solo le amiche riuscivano a vedere per quello che rano veramente. E così avevano fatto un patto: se una di loro si fosse messa con il tipo sbagliato, le altre l'avrebbero salvata. Ora si ritrovano all'imminente matrimonio di Emma con Richard, un uomo meschino, interessato più ai soldi e alla fama che a Emma. La mattina del matrimonio Richard viene trovato morto in piscina...cosa è successo davv ...more
Pamela
Feb 05, 2016 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked. Was one where you really couldn't figure out whodunit. Would like to read the next Rachel Benjamin mystery.
Devon
Jul 21, 2015 Devon rated it liked it
The plot is nothing special but it's a nice fun, easy read for summer or something lighter. The main character is funny. I actually bought the whole series at a thrift shop so moving on to the next one now.
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Cute, fast-paced, girly book!
Giovanna Santoriello
ecco...quando ho bisogno di staccare un po', e non mi vanno le letture impegnative, il miglior modo è leggere un red dress ink. Sono tutti un po' simili, un tantino banali, per certi versi, ma sei sicura di passare qualche oretta in compagnia di un libro leggero.
Uccideresti per le tue amiche? E' un libro rosa con tinte gialle. L'idea è carina. E' scorrevole e carino.
Consigliato?
Sì, se avete voglia di una lettura soft!
Ah, dimenticavo, l'assassino non è poi così scontato!!!
Adina
Mar 16, 2013 Adina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I LOVED this book! I Love chick-lit, especially mixed with mysteries (ugh... I'm in heaven:) and this book was exactly what I needed. When I read mysteries, I usually predict who the bad person is from the beginning (and I'm usually right), but this book kept me guessing and guessing up until the last 20 or so pages. Great book, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys happy endings of mysteries-chicklit novels ;)

Sarah Thompson
Jul 27, 2014 Sarah Thompson rated it really liked it
312 #pages4progress
Cathy
May 27, 2008 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: would-recommend
Nothing too deep - just a quick fun read. It's about girlfriends and a pact they make to not let each other end up with a bad partner. Then one's fiance dies the night before the wedding... I actually got this by accident when I thought I was getting Jodi Picoult's Pact... but I read it and it was good.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it it was amazing
Excellent chick lit mystery about friends who made a pact while in college to rescue each other from bad relationships (by any means necessary). Years later, a despicable fiancee ends up dead leaving the bride-to-be to wonder if one of the friends 'honored' the pact. Great whodunnit with chick lit style!
Meg Funk
good book! enjoyed the mystery
Bethan
Jul 17, 2012 Bethan rated it it was ok
I love cosy mysteries but this just didn't do it for me at all. To be honest. by the end of the book I couldn't have cared less "whodunit", as all the characters were incredibly shallow and for the most part quite unlikeable.
Harshana
Nov 02, 2008 Harshana rated it liked it
I love a good mystery book and this definitely had me questioning who had committed the crime. There were parts where I felt it could have been written a bit better but none-the-less it was interesting and a quick read.
Sherri Hunter
Mar 01, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
Not a riveting start to the series but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more. I enjoyed that the reader is left with hope of a future for Rachel and Peter. I'm curious to see how it will play out.
May 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it did not like it
This book is very much "Sex and the City" only w/ crime involved. The charters were somewhat annoying and the story itself was not the greatest. The last few chapters FINALLY got interesting. Its OK.
Bridget
Jul 23, 2007 Bridget rated it liked it
I recently picked this up from the library only to discover I've already read this!

This is the first book in the new Rachel Benjamin mysteries. The next books are The Jinx and The Key
Debbie
Jul 02, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it
This book was ok....a mystery story that was easy to read. The characters seemed a bit shallow to me and I really could not connect to them. I found Rachael to be especially annoying.

Anne-marie
Oct 14, 2013 Anne-marie marked it as to-read
this is the first one, 2004, then the jinx 2005, the key 2006 and the hunt. Also looks good: And then everything unraveled and then the sequel and then I found out the truth.
Tracy
Feb 23, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This is a really great book! It was an easy read and def. one of my favorites. Characters are all really different and its a great mystery & friendship novel.
Alyssa White
Aug 24, 2015 Alyssa White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I loved this book! I got it discounted and I was really excited to read the book! The characters are all so great and you really get into the book.
Sagan
Jul 27, 2015 Sagan rated it it was ok
Not the best book in the world. It seemed like it was written for teens. If you think about it as a Lifetime movie premise it's not so bad.
Deborah
Jul 04, 2013 Deborah rated it liked it
A group of college friends unite for Emma's wedding. The disliked groom turns up dead in the pool. Dun-dun-duuun... Who did it?
  • Love You to Death
  • Killer Summer
  • Lost & Found
  • Mafia Chic
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)
  • How Nancy Drew Saved My Life
  • Joyride
  • Tart
  • The Funeral Planner
  • The Year of Living Famously
  • Me Vs. Me
  • Mean Season
  • The Givenchy Code (Codebreaker Trilogy, #1)
  • Sleeping Over
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Rescuing Rose
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
Jennifer Sturman is the author of several mystery novels, including The Pact and The Jinx. After graduating from Harvard College, Jennifer earned her MBA from Harvard Business School. She now lives in New York City, a few blocks from Delia’s aunt Charley (And Then Everything Unraveled). She has no free time, but if she did she would probably spend it watching teen movie classics from the '80s.
More about Jennifer Sturman...

Rachel Benjamin (4 books)
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • The Key (Rachel Benjamin, #3)
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)