Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA's Rendition Flights

Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA's Rendition Flights

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“A report on clandestine Central Intelligence Agency activities, including the maintenance of secret military bases with detention facilities, known as black sites, in Afghanistan and elsewhere…. We’re so used to being fed politics as fantasy entertainment, by art and the media, that we end up never being sure when we’re looking at the real thing...”

The New York Times

SURP...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Melville House (first published September 24th 2006)

Jessica
Aug 26, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who isn't already well-informed about this stuff
Oh silly me, here I was thinking "extraordinary rendition" just meant my karaoke performance of "Hungry Eyes!"

Boy, was I wrong.

If you ever wondered what happened to those sociopathic assholes you've met over the years, look no further: they're running the world!

I liked this book a lot (even though it had an alarming number of typos and conflated schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder, which is one of my own huge pet peeves). In fact, I liked it so much that I believe every American who...more
Jamie Wilson
I worked with AC Thompson, co-author, while I was at ProPublica. He's an amazing reporter and this book is the result of some excellent investigative reporting into one of the most controversial aspects of the Bush administration's war on terror.
Ben

Torture Taxi

by Ben Terrall / May 3rd, 2007

Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA’s Rendition Flights (Melville House; 208 pages), by Trevor Paglen and A.C. Thompson, is an investigation of the infamous “extraordinary rendition” program used by the CIA to carry detainees to countries where torture sessions are a standard part of state “security.” Paglen, a UC Berkeley expert on clandestine military operations, and Thompson, a George Polk Award-winning San Fr...more
Melville House Publishing
SEPTEMBER 6, 2006—In a surprise admission, President Bush today confirmed widespread suspicion that the U.S. has maintained a network of secret prisons since 9/11—the first time the administration has acknowledged a secret CIA program despite worldwide criticism for the treatment of detainees, including accusations of torture and international kidnapping.

The announcement confirms charges made in a new book, TORTURE TAXI: ON THE TRAIL OF THE CIA’S RENDITION FLIGHTS, the first book on the secret...more
Mike
Overall, a haunting, nuanced, and gripping account of the CIA's rendition program. Dr. Trevor Paglen is a geographer who turned to investigative journalism due to his ongoing interest in military "black" projects and the secret landscapes where such take place. He is also an artist who has considered things like the iconography of patches from secret military, NSA, and NRO projects from an arts historical viewpoint. Paglen's overall motif throughout all his work seems to be one of exploring the...more
Robert Beveridge
Trevor Paglen and A. C. Thompson, Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA's Rendition Flights (Melville House, 2006)

I can't remember the last time I read a general nonfiction book in the space of twenty-four hours; I'm not sure it's ever happened before. But I did it with this one (while at the same time blazing through a novel that was almost as good). And it's not because I know (if tangentially) one of the authors; it doesn't matter if you're my mom, if your book's unreadable, I'm not going to...more
Godzilla
I picked this up on a whim, uncertain of what journey it would take me on. I was aware, as most vaguely informed people are, of the fact that the CIA were kidnapping people and hauling them off to places like Guantanamo Bay.

I wasn't as a aware of the international complicity surrounding this. In that respect the book was interesting. However it's written in a very dry manner, and with constant flitting backwards and forwards to details of the same cases. I realise that little detail is known, bu...more
Amanda Davidson
Jul 25, 2007 Amanda Davidson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: planespotters
Bad times; democracy eroding. Under 'extraordinary rendition', CIA kidnapping suspected terrorist-citizens of other countries using charter jets, taking to secret 'black site' prisons, torturing, holding without trial. The book obviously put together quickly in order to address the topic, but its a quick and informative read, too.
Carrie
like his other book, it raises a ton of questions and reveals quite a bit of information about cia's tactics of hiding in plain sight. didn't think it was quite as engrossing as blank spots and it's a bit more depressing and apalling in terms of what we do to suspected terrorists. maybe don't read it before bed.
Colleen Clark
Feb 15, 2010 Colleen Clark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in what our government is up to in our name.
Shelves: politics-terror
The first book I read on rendition. I was prompted by a news story in the Boston Globe about a private plane that had been owned by a co-owner of the Red Sox being identified as one used in rendition. That led to an address in Dedham, MA a Boston suburb.
Stuart
Apr 14, 2008 Stuart rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stuart by: John Eightclip
Good no-frills investigative journalism. Tears off a small corner of the "extraordinary rendition" puzzle - the planespotting part - and explores it to chilling effect.
Karen Hooper
During a time when the Bush administration flatly denied it tortured its prisoners, this book details (with photos, no less) that administration's rendition efforts.
Chris
Made me ashamed of the way the US government usurps laws that were created to protect people.
Jeremiah Genest
Good brief introduction to extraordinary rendition and the CIA's private airforce.
Taruia
Light, but easily readable. Too often lapses into the venacular however.
Frauke
Frauke marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Peter Luhowy
Peter Luhowy marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
R.f.k
R.f.k marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Nate Hendrix
Nate Hendrix marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Trevor Paglen is an artist, writer, and experimental geographer whose work deliberately blurs lines between social science, contemporary art, journalism, and other disciplines to construct unfamiliar, yet meticulously researched ways to see and interpret the world around us.

Paglen's visual work has been exhibited at Transmediale Festival, Berlin; The Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh; Institute of Co...more
More about Trevor Paglen...
I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to be Destroyed by Me: Emblems from the Pentagon's Black World Blank Spots on the Map: The Dark Geography of the Pentagon's Secret World The Last Pictures Trevor Paglen: Invisible: Covert Operations and Classified Landscapes An Atlas of Radical Cartography