Start by marking “Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA's Rendition Flights” as Want to Read:
Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA's Rendition Flights

Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA's Rendition Flights

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
“A report on clandestine Central Intelligence Agency activities, including the maintenance of secret military bases with detention facilities, known as black sites, in Afghanistan and elsewhere…. We’re so used to being fed politics as fantasy entertainment, by art and the media, that we end up never being sure when we’re looking at the real thing...”

The New York Times

SURP
Published October 1st 2006 by Melville House (first published September 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Torture Taxi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torture Taxi

Jessica
Aug 26, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who isn't already well-informed about this stuff
Oh silly me, here I was thinking "extraordinary rendition" just meant my karaoke performance of "Hungry Eyes!"

Boy, was I wrong.

If you ever wondered what happened to those sociopathic assholes you've met over the years, look no further: they're running the world!

I liked this book a lot (even though it had an alarming number of typos and conflated schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder, which is one of my own huge pet peeves). In fact, I liked it so much that I believe every American who
Jamie
Nov 09, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
I worked with AC Thompson, co-author, while I was at ProPublica. He's an amazing reporter and this book is the result of some excellent investigative reporting into one of the most controversial aspects of the Bush administration's war on terror.
Ben
Apr 20, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it

Torture Taxi

by Ben Terrall / May 3rd, 2007

Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA’s Rendition Flights (Melville House; 208 pages), by Trevor Paglen and A.C. Thompson, is an investigation of the infamous “extraordinary rendition” program used by the CIA to carry detainees to countries where torture sessions are a standard part of state “security.” Paglen, a UC Berkeley expert on clandestine military operations, and Thompson, a George Polk Award-winning San Fr
Melville House Publishing
Feb 11, 2008 Melville House Publishing rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
SEPTEMBER 6, 2006—In a surprise admission, President Bush today confirmed widespread suspicion that the U.S. has maintained a network of secret prisons since 9/11—the first time the administration has acknowledged a secret CIA program despite worldwide criticism for the treatment of detainees, including accusations of torture and international kidnapping.

The announcement confirms charges made in a new book, TORTURE TAXI: ON THE TRAIL OF THE CIA’S RENDITION FLIGHTS, the first book on the secret
Mike
Oct 21, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Overall, a haunting, nuanced, and gripping account of the CIA's rendition program. Dr. Trevor Paglen is a geographer who turned to investigative journalism due to his ongoing interest in military "black" projects and the secret landscapes where such take place. He is also an artist who has considered things like the iconography of patches from secret military, NSA, and NRO projects from an arts historical viewpoint. Paglen's overall motif throughout all his work seems to be one of exploring the ...more
Robert Beveridge
Trevor Paglen and A. C. Thompson, Torture Taxi: On the Trail of the CIA's Rendition Flights (Melville House, 2006)

I can't remember the last time I read a general nonfiction book in the space of twenty-four hours; I'm not sure it's ever happened before. But I did it with this one (while at the same time blazing through a novel that was almost as good). And it's not because I know (if tangentially) one of the authors; it doesn't matter if you're my mom, if your book's unreadable, I'm not going to
Trevor
Aug 06, 2015 Trevor rated it liked it
This is a book about secret flights carrying captured prisoners (and sometimes innocents) from places like Afghanistan etc and taken to "Dark Prisons", that is, prisons that are non-mainstream.

The book delves into domestic & private airlines who run the planes as opposed to the CIA.

It's quite interesting, there's not much to it though and quite a quick read.
Godzilla
I picked this up on a whim, uncertain of what journey it would take me on. I was aware, as most vaguely informed people are, of the fact that the CIA were kidnapping people and hauling them off to places like Guantanamo Bay.

I wasn't as a aware of the international complicity surrounding this. In that respect the book was interesting. However it's written in a very dry manner, and with constant flitting backwards and forwards to details of the same cases. I realise that little detail is known, bu
Cooper
Apr 16, 2015 Cooper rated it it was amazing
its scary to find out what happened to these men in this book. i doubt all were guilty. these are the first moves that will eventually lead to citizens, jounalists, anybody that angered our government.
Amanda Davidson
Jul 25, 2007 Amanda Davidson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: planespotters
Bad times; democracy eroding. Under 'extraordinary rendition', CIA kidnapping suspected terrorist-citizens of other countries using charter jets, taking to secret 'black site' prisons, torturing, holding without trial. The book obviously put together quickly in order to address the topic, but its a quick and informative read, too.
Carrie
Mar 30, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
like his other book, it raises a ton of questions and reveals quite a bit of information about cia's tactics of hiding in plain sight. didn't think it was quite as engrossing as blank spots and it's a bit more depressing and apalling in terms of what we do to suspected terrorists. maybe don't read it before bed.
Elliot Richards
Jan 08, 2013 Elliot Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An fascinating primer on the CIA's use of "ghost planes" for extraordinary rendition of people to secret prisons. I'd definitely like to read something more in depth, if possible, but given the nature and near impossible task of the subject matter I wonder how much more can be revealed.
Colleen Clark
Feb 15, 2010 Colleen Clark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in what our government is up to in our name.
Shelves: politics-terror
The first book I read on rendition. I was prompted by a news story in the Boston Globe about a private plane that had been owned by a co-owner of the Red Sox being identified as one used in rendition. That led to an address in Dedham, MA a Boston suburb.
Stuart
Apr 14, 2008 Stuart rated it liked it
Recommended to Stuart by: John Eightclip
Good no-frills investigative journalism. Tears off a small corner of the "extraordinary rendition" puzzle - the planespotting part - and explores it to chilling effect.
Ben
Jul 11, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok, so i'm a bit biased. my friend wrote this book but if you want the skinny on "extraordinary rendition" you gotta read this. its fuckin off the hook.
Chris
Jan 07, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Made me ashamed of the way the US government usurps laws that were created to protect people.
Jeremiah Genest
Apr 28, 2008 Jeremiah Genest rated it liked it
Shelves: espionage
Good brief introduction to extraordinary rendition and the CIA's private airforce.
Taruia
Mar 12, 2012 Taruia rated it really liked it
Light, but easily readable. Too often lapses into the venacular however.
Islam Abou Hamda
Islam Abou Hamda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Jennifer Chen
Jennifer Chen marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Susie Martinez
Susie Martinez rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2016
BDT
BDT rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2016
Joe Librandi-Cowan
Joe Librandi-Cowan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
G3
G3 marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Mustapha
Mustapha marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect author/book information 3 13 Dec 11, 2014 01:30PM
Trevor Paglen is an artist, writer, and experimental geographer whose work deliberately blurs lines between social science, contemporary art, journalism, and other disciplines to construct unfamiliar, yet meticulously researched ways to see and interpret the world around us.

Paglen's visual work has been exhibited at Transmediale Festival, Berlin; The Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh; Institute of Co
More about Trevor Paglen...