Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)

Sabriel (Abhorsen #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  94,525 ratings  ·  3,288 reviews
Sent to a boarding school in Ancelstierre as a young child, Sabriel has had little experience with the random power of Free Magic or the Dead who refuse to stay dead in the Old Kingdom. But during her final semester, her father, the Abhorsen, goes missing, and Sabriel knows she must enter the Old Kingdom to find him. She soon finds companions in Mogget, a cat whose aloof m...more
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sabriel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sabriel

Kat Kennedy
Jun 24, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of LOTR and Fantasy Genre
I picked this book up from the library and noticed stickers on the book declaring that it was part of a reading challenge here in NSW for grades 7-8.

"This book is acceptable to read for 12-13 year olds? Fuck me, can we turn around and go back to the library?" I asked my husband.

He shook his head and smiled at me. "Just try it. You never know."

"It's for twelve-to-thirteen year olds! No sex! No swearing! Minimum violence! I don't fucking think so!"

In the end, we brought it home and I sulked the wh...more
Lyndsey
This book really should have been exciting but I actually would have had a much better time had I just blared Monster Mash from my stereo and danced around like a zombie with chicken skin pasted to my face.

Jedi knight of the living dead!

I feel like this was probably really cool in the 90's and if I had read it then, as my pre-Harry Potter 10 year old self. I probably would have loved it. But now, my brain has descended into different forms of oblivion and I laugh voraciously at danger.

Ha-ha-ha
S.
Alright: I was completely wrong about this book, for it sucketh not at all.

Mainly because of the incredibly clever idea of Sabriel's magical inheritance: She is a Death Witch. Huzzah and once more huzzah, because the Dantesque set-up of the Underworld is just brilliant, Styx-you-like and all.
It's clear what traditions, myths and legends are drawn on, but the result is lovely.
And how wonderful that Death is such a well-established and accepted concept in this story, with its own traditions, spell...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I shall write a wee bit about my thoughts on this book as I read, for I do not trust my foggy brain to keep up with them if I wait until the last minute.

*I like the juxtaposition of 20th Century (early) Ancelstierre with a medieval-esque world of the Old Kingdom. It threw me for a loop at first, how the prologue was very medieval (pre-Industrial), and the first chapter was modernesque. I was thinking, are they immortal or something? But further reading clears that up.

*I don't read as much pure f...more
Heather
Apr 03, 2007 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Adult
Shelves: readandloved
Possibly one of the greatest fantasy adventures of our times, Garth Nix's first novel is a lush, magical, dark-witty adventure about a young woman's battle with the hideous Dead.

The story starts with a flashback in which a special necromancer named Abhorsen saves his baby daughter Sabriel from a creature called Kerrigor, in the spiritual river of death. Many years later, at an English-esque boarding school, Sabriel must take up her father's magical sword and bells and try to find out what has ha...more
Judith
When an otherworldly visitor tells Sabriel that her father has been trapped in the world of the dead, she has no choice but to leave her student's life in Ancelstierre and venture into the Old Kingdom to save him. There, in her father's absence, she must take up the mantle of Abhorsen, a necromancer charged with making sure that the dead stay dead.

Although she does not believe herself to be up to the task, Sabriel must make the journey, with only a mysterious talking cat named Mogget, and a re-...more
Merna
“Let this be my final lesson. Everyone and everything has a time to die.”

I really wish I had liked Sabriel more than I had anticipated. It had a decent idea, however as I kept reading I continually kept thinking about other events in my life plus my plans for the next day, and not paying attention to the story - clearly because I was purely so bored. I believe merely saying a book is boring isn’t a convincing or a valid reason to conclude that the book wasn’t good.

Have you ever read a book whe...more
Shayantani Das
This book takes an excruciatingly long time to really pick up its pace. To be honest, if I had not bought this book about a year ago, I would definitely have quit. I have picked it up and abandoned it quite frequently over the year, mostly because about 50 pages through the book, I would start yawning. Now that is a privilege especially reserved for school textbooks, thus my reluctance. But, once you go through those first mind numbing 100 pages, this book is actually pretty decent.

The novel is...more
Jon
Aug 01, 2009 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: GoodReads Fantasy Book Club August 2009

Sabriel attends Wyverley College, a boarding school for girls on the Ancelstierre side of the Wall. In addition to reading, writing and arithmatic, she studies Charter Magic and necromancy. Her father, the Abhorsen, usually visits from the Old Kingdom once or twice a year. He trains her in binding the Dead so they stay dead using The Book of the Dead, Charter Magic and the Bells.

When her father fails to visit, Sabriel grows worried and seeks to find him across the Wall in the Old King...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Read this quite some time ago and have been meaning to get to the sequels for some time...so first I reread this one...:)

This is an interesting YA novel set in a world that is split. There is Ancelstierre, the southern Kingdom which is a technological society about at the level of World War I era Earth (that would be our Earth). It seems much like the UK (as they play rugby and cricket at the boarding schools). There is no magic in Ancelstierre. As a matter of fact they (mostly) regard magic and...more
Mar 17, 2009 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: trash cans
piece of trash. dont even bother starting this, i was bored the whole time. Its totally weird and what the heck. i never really got what they were doing and why they were doing it. I never got what the bad guys were. This book is confusing and so boring you dont even want to try to figure out whats going on. Dont waste your time on this, you have better things to do like hitting your head agaisnt the wall.
Milo
I took an extended leave from the fantasy genre; yesterday afternoon, I decided to come back to the world of witchcraft and sorcery. Highly recommended by fellow peers, I chose Garth Nix's well-known 'Sabriel'. Frankly, I was so impressed and drawn into the story that I finished it in two days and rushed to write an amazingly complementary review.

The plot was fantastic and fast-paced; there wasn't a moment I wasn't on the edge of my seat. Exhausting chapters of worthless garble is a common trait...more
Stephen
4.5 stars. Good characters, strong world-building and an EXCELLENT magic/necromancy system that was very unique, well developed and internally consistant. With as much fantasy as I read, I am always thankful when I come across something truly unique and engaging. This certainly fits the bill. The magic of the Abhorsen and its connection and exploration of the "various stages" of death was very well done and, in my opinion, the best feature of the story. Will defintely read the next book in the s...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

The first thing that hit me when I finished reading this book was that I should have read it much sooner. I'd been meaning to read it for the past six or seven years but never quite getting around to it--and that was a mistake. In SABRIEL, Garth Nix introduces the reader to a compelling fantasy world that comes alive through the actions of the title character and others.

The Old Kingdom is a place of magic, both Charter magic, wielded by those with...more
Simon
UPDATED BELOW. I started this and wanted to give up in frustration about one fifth of the way in. But the book gets an awful lot of love from many well-respected friends on GR and I'm tempted to give it another go. My problem was mostly with the quality of the writing, which I found awful, to be frank. There are various things that just seem wrong, although one can make out the intended sense. And there is much more that just seems heavy and clunky: odd word choices, labored explanations of the...more
Sandi
Sabriel is a wonderful fantasy quest story that takes all the familiar tropes and makes them seem fresh and new. There really isn't anything that's groundbreaking in this novel, but it somehow seems like a story that's totally unique. Sabriel made me feel that same youthful excitement for reading that the Harry Potter books did, and it was much shorter. Nix did a fabulous job of creating a very rich, magical world in a small number of pages. This is proof that fantasy does not have to cover ten...more
Chris
Reading this book was a pleasant experience. While considered a YA book, its tone was dark and forbidding, with the lead character being a necromancer and practioner of Charter Magic. She uses her newly learned powers to give the Dead their final resting and to keep the sinister denizens of the land of the Dead from making reentry into the world of living. Sabriel is the heir to a great power, and a greater responsibility role.

Character depth wasn't a big plus to this one, but I feel most of th...more
Becky
If you don't know already, I love zombies. Because of this, I was really, really looking forward to reading this book. And I really enjoyed it.

Sabriel, the character, is a bit complex. One the one hand, she's 18. She wants to be young and pretend responsibilities don't exist. Unfortunately, she can't do that. Her dad kills Dead things, and is bound to complete this service at the sacrifice of his own life (the kind with kids, a wife, a dog, white picket fence, etc), and from a young age, Sabrie...more
Tatiana
Aug 27, 2010 Tatiana marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
No, can't do it, unfortunately.

I have nothing negative to say about the book except that it couldn't hold my interest. Corpse and necromancy are just not my thing I guess.

I am also starting to think that I only like fantasy that is very light on magic and very heavy on romance. Otherwise it just goes over my head.
Mimi
"Death and what came after death was no great mystery to Sabriel. She just wished it was."

The first time I read this book I did not like it and had to abandon it at page 25. Now after having finished the whole thing in less than 36 hours, I realized I hardly gave it a fightingchance and that wasn't fair because it's actually good. GarthNix surprised me in that all the objections I had about Sabriel as a character are remedied later on in the book. I have never been bored enough with a book toaba...more
Terry
This one is the final read for the Tolkien Professor’s Faerie & Fantasy podcast seminar . I started out really liking the book as the world, and especially the necromantic magic system, we are introduced to was really rather clever and interesting. The story itself isn’t bad, a bildungsroman following a young girl, the titular Sabriel, who leaves her boarding school home to find out what has become of her father. Of course we soon find out that the boarding school, which appears to exist in...more
Phrynne
This was my first book by this author and I loved it! Garth Nix writes extremely well. I really liked his world building and his original ideas. I especially enjoyed reading about Charter Magic versus Free Magic and the journeys into Death. Sabriel is a good, strong female lead, Moggett is wonderful and Touchstone redeemed himself by the end of the book. I read a lot of fantasy and this was one of the better ones I have read in ages.
Miss M
I've been on a bit of a fantasy kick lately, and Sabriel does not disappoint. The world Garth Nix creates is rich and expansive. It's darker fantasy, and the treatment of magic is much more deep and interesting than shouting a simple 'Expelliarmus!'

Sabriel is the daughter of Abhorsen--A man who is a 'Good Necromancer', of sorts. Rather than raising the dead, he puts them to rest. It's a daunting task, and Abhorsen is the only one who can perform it. Sabriel finds out that her father is in troubl...more
Nikki
It was lovely to reread Sabriel. I think I read it quite a few times when I was younger, but luckily, Garth Nix seems to have lost none of his charm for me. It helps that he has a female protagonist who isn't perfect, who ends up with a near-broken nose, battered to bits, and still finds love -- but that love isn't the most important thing: the important thing, the thing Sabriel really has to accept, is the passing on of her father's duties to her, and her own entry into adulthood.

I enjoy the fa...more
Libby
4.5 - I really enjoyed this book. It was a well paced and highly creative YA novel. The system of magic is especially unique and interesting. Sabriel’s magical abilities are channeled through bells. Sound and harmonics are a strongly woven theme throughout the novel. To me, it was reminiscent of the concept known as Music of the Spheres.

I have only two criticisms of this novel. Foremost, I was disappointed in the lack of character development in the main character. While I was drawn in by plot,...more
Hiroshi Sasaki
I had originally rated this YA fantasy at 4.5, but now find it a full 5 stars. Why the change? The world this book creates is so fun to think about. I'm delighted that the goodreads.com YA F&SF Discussion group is exploring this yarn as March's group reading: it's Nix's debut (jealousy!), and while it can stand alone (as it provides lovely closure), it's also followed by two other books rounding out a trilogy, which means I'll get to hang out in this world I love so well with characters so v...more
Sharon
This was my very first fantasy book that I've ever read and I'm not sure that I'll be in a hurry to read another one. I just found it quite hard to get into and at times I wondered if I would finish it.

Sabriel is the daughter of Abhorsen. Sabriel must journey into the mysterious and magical Old Kingdom to rescue her father from the Land Of Dead. Although her journey begins alone she soon finds companions along the way such as Mogget and Touchstone who are powerful creatures of the the magical wo...more
Annalisa
Mar 15, 2010 Annalisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LOTR & Eragon fans
Recommended to Annalisa by: Cami
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I found Nix's world where Sabriel is born to step into death and enforce the boundary of death and life very intriguing. The nine gates to death, the bells that control the dead, the different forces set to keep control over death, Mogget forced servitude, Sabriel's excursions into death, all very vivid in my imagination. It did take Nix a while to get into the story and at times I was confused by his descriptions, but when the story got intense, I found myself very involved and anxious for Sabr...more
Ally (To the Moon and Back)

I went out on a limb with this one. Necromancers aren't usually my thing, so I was pretty apprehensive. But its pretty obvious right away that it isn't your average raising the dead novel. Its so much better. Everything from the coldly beautiful gates of death to the spooky reanimated villains wowed me. Sabriel is short and sweet, and definitely worth the read.

I think its neccesary to highlight how downright awesome necromancer lore is. Sabriel comes form a long line of Necromancers that have be...more
Terence
Feb 13, 2012 Terence rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't rek it to my nieces but I wouldn't not rek it either
Meh...I've been listening to this on the way to/from work (as is my wont with audiobooks as I can't focus on them outside of that confined environment).

While Tim Curry does a good job of reading (though I couldn't stand his Moggett voice), I couldn't get engaged in either characters or story.

SIDEBAR: This is my 3000th GR book though I think there really shouldn't be a celebration until I'm up to the 3000th read book.
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Dark Lord of Derkholm
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • Juniper (Doran, #2)
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #1)
  • A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De...more
More about Garth Nix...
Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3) Lirael (Abhorsen, #2) Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1) Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3) Lady Friday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #5)

“Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?” 580 likes
“Touchstone watched, suddenly conscious that he probably only had five seconds left to be alone with Sabriel, to say something, to say anything. Perhaps the last five seconds they ever would have alone together.
I am not afraid, he said to himself.
"I love you," he whispered. "I hope you don't mind.”
203 likes