Start by marking “Ich Bin Autistin Aber Ich Zeige Es Nicht. Leben Mit Dem Asperger Syndrom” as Want to Read:
Ich Bin Autistin   Aber Ich Zeige Es Nicht. Leben Mit Dem Asperger  Syndrom

Ich Bin Autistin Aber Ich Zeige Es Nicht. Leben Mit Dem Asperger Syndrom

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  667 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Pretending to be Normal tells the story of a woman who, after years of self-doubt and self-denial, learned to embrace her Asperger's syndrome traits with thanksgiving and joy. This positive and humane book provides insight into the Asperger world as well as hope and encouragement for other people with Asperger's Syndrome, their families, and their friends.
Published (first published January 1st 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Ich Bin Autistin Aber Ich Zeige Es Nicht. Leben Mit Dem Asperger Syndrom

John
I believe this is the book that started the current Asperger's "lite" diagnosis trend, by expanding what was a fairly rare and strictly scrutinized Autism-spectrum disorder into the new ADD. Check out some movies or books portraying actual Asperger's individuals - they do not merely find it hard to connect with others or to understand what others are trying to communicate; it goes far deeper. However, in the last 5-10 years, AS has become a catch-all for kids who haven't been taught manners, won ...more
Paula  Obermeier McCarty
Good book. A bit of light reading with some interesting thoughts. The title was awesome: "Pretending to be Normal". Ahhh......seems like the perfect description of my life in general. LOL. Gosh, when I think back........When was I not pretending to be normal? LOL.

One favorite quote: "Too often those with AS get lost in a world of discouragement and damaged self-esteem, and in that world there are few avenues for happiness. I try, at every opportunity I am given, to show both my daughter and myse
Manda
I found this book to be very interesting, though frustrating. Unless I missed it, Liane doesn't make it clear if she was actually disgnosed with Aspergers, or even if her daughter was, or whether they have self-diagnosed from their reading of the subject.

This doesn't help me be clear about what Aspergers is. An awful lot of Liane's descriptions of the problems that she suffers rang bells with me, either of problems I have, or that people close to me have. So where is the line drawn between neur
Laurie
Willey has Asperger’s syndrome, but never knew it until her daughter was diagnosed with it. She knew she was different from most people, and that some things were harder for her, but that was as far as it went. She was a high achiever in school, went through college and got her doctorate, married and had children. Asperger’s did not stop her, and now, knowing why she is different, her past makes sense to her. This is her story of what life is like with Asperger’s.

This is a very short book- short
Mary
This book was a fast and good read. It gave me an insight into how a person with Asperger's Syndrome really sees the world and deals with situations around them. Even though there is criticism of the author writing a book so far from when the events happened I believe she explained the events well and even if she didn't remember the exact events to a T, she still never forgot how she felt at the time the events happened and how she dealt with them. I think the author does a great job explaining ...more
Victoria (RedsCat)
Over the past four years I've devoted a bit of time to study and research Asperger's Syndrome. I realized I could relate to the traits and quirks and routines of others on the autism spectrum. Yet it wasn't easy to get my diagnosis - there's still not enough awareness, even among mental health folks, of autism and Asperger's Syndrome in women and girls.

I feel, as Liane Holliday says, "Why, I wondered, did everyone refuse to accept my words as fact and not fiction? Why was I getting so much oppo
Heidi
This book was a quick read and a great insight into the world of Asperger's Syndrome. Since I currently have a student with AS in my classroom it was very helpful for me to get a look into what might be going on inside her head and strategies for working more effectively with her.
Gracielou
Jul 29, 2008 Gracielou rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one dealing with Aspberger's Syndrome
Recommended to Gracielou by: Liane Holliday Willey
Liane is a family friend and a great crusader for children and families with emotional disabilities. Her heart-rending account of what it was like to grow up with Asperger's Syndrome is a must read for any family who deals with with a family member who's been diagnosed with this form of high functioning Autism.

Liane allows the reader to walk a mile in her shoes and it's most enlightening and prepares you to be more sympathetic and empathetic for those that suffer with this syndrome. Parts of he
Michelle
This book was written by a woman who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome as an adult after her daughter was diagnosed with the same condition. It should be an essential on the reading list of someone who truly wants to understand Aspeger's Syndrome. It may be useful to read books written by psychologists and "experts" on the topic, but a study of the syndrome cannot be complete without looking at it through the eyes of a true expert--one who actually has Asperger's.

"Pretending to be Normal"
Susan
Pretending to Be Normal is Liane Willey’s memoir. She grew up knowing she was different from others, but only as an adult, after she’d had three children, did she learn that she had Asperger’s Syndrome. Willey views AS in a mostly positive way, and indeed she has been quite blessed to have had understanding parents and an understanding spouse to help her make sense of a world that’s normal to others, but often not to her. She recognizes these things, and says of a friend: “He never questioned me ...more
Anna
Incredibly subjective at points -- the author often uses her specific experiences as "symptoms" of AS rather than telling us about the symptoms in a general way. Still -- a light read, one I might recommend to others interested in AS, but only if they plan to read it with a grain of salt. Not a good diagnostic tool.
Dylan Benito
This was a great book. There is some helpful information in it, including coping mechanisms and scheduling suggestions. Mostly, I liked it because it was relatable. If you have a spectrum person in your life, or you are on the spectrum, this is a helpful read.
Jason Godsey
While I like this book, the author is kind of a jerk.

She acts like she's doing her husband a favor tolerating him at times.
Iona  Main Stewart
This is a book about Asperger's syndrome penned by one suffering from it. However the author's Asperger's syndrome was not diagnosed (if it ever was) until one of her own children received this diagnosis.

What shall I say? The author is exceedingly articulate and expresses in detail whatever she wants to say. The book was a bit too intense for me (who apparently have many of the symptoms of AS as do practically all of the reviewers on this site.) She tells us about the problems she had in her chi
Dawn Tiffin
While I could see myself in the genesis of Willey's narrative, I felt a sense of alarm each time she hinted that she felt her Asperger's was "fading" with age. I don't think that's actually possible--a brain's wiring is what it is, neuroplasticity notwithstanding. I have my own theories why someone might feel this way, but perhaps I need to write my own book to air them. A solid and sincere look at a young girl's life with undiagnosed Asperger's, even with my trepidations.
Christina Dudley
Liane Holliday Willey's memoir of growing up and living with Asperger's Syndrome helped this "neurotypical" reader better understand what is going on in the heads and actions and words of an "Aspie." I would recommend this book to those looking for insight into AS friends/family, as well as to those diagnosed with Asperger's who are looking for a roadmap or reassurance or inspiration.

Thank you to the publisher for the opportunity to read this book!
Jobiska (Cindy)
This did not turn out to suit my parenting situation as much as I thought it might, so I didn't end up doing more than skimming. Time to pass it along and hope it helps someone else! Not rating because I didn't read it thoroughly enough to tell.
VJ
Everyone's AS is different. Every story I read about the neurobiological difference adds to my hopes for increased understanding and acceptance of people who are different.

People are cruel and without empathy. They do not tolerate difference well. They are often discouraging, making isolation preferable to mingling. Liane's story makes pressing through seem worth the effort, especially where children are involved.

Many of us pretend to be normal even when we don't have AS. Says a lot more about t
Mark Rivera
This is a good easy read. I recommend it to anyone who may be interested in Asperger's syndrome or who has someone in their lives who is brave enough to tell you they have it.

It is a glimpse onto the mind and heart of one woman's daily existence with AS. It doesn't get too technical and doesn't get too sally. It's not a sermon and not a plea for attention.

Rather this is a very real very misunderstood if not neglected condition that is too easily dismissed as a fad or an attempt at attention. I
Emma
really good for people with AS/high functioning autism.
Mandy
Add an extra 0.5 of a star to this review. One of Nathan's clients recommended this book, and after reading it, I ahve gained a better understanding and appreciation of people (adults and kids I know) who have Asperger's Syndrome. It can be terrifying to the person who doesnt understand why they feel what they feel, and frustrating to those around them who simply cannot relate. The author suffers from AS herself and has been blessed with the ability to write well. It makes the book read smoothly ...more
Michael
This is a well-written memoir of a woman who grew up with undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome (an autistic spectrum disorder.) It wasn't until one of her daughters was diagnosed with AS that she was able to put a name to why she, herself, had always felt she didn't quite fit in.

The memoir is followed by appendices, giving specific suggestions for coping skills for people with AS & their family members. This is an extremely useful section, covering all aspects of life - personal, social, educatio
Laci Lizarraga
As someone who just discovered that I have been living with this same challenge, it was wonderful, horrifying, incredibly sad, and uplifting to read through another woman's struggles and successes. Many anecdotes hit a little too close to home for comfort. I think that anyone who is newly diagnosed, or who knows someone who is, should read this book. It helped me understand how Aspergers has shaped my life, and I believe that it is useful for those who are trying to relate to someone who has the ...more
Jenny
Excellent , informative and engaging .
Meredith
As an adult woman with ASD I was very interested to read the author's story, however I was a little disappointed in her insistence that her Aspergers was fading. There were some things I could completely relate to, and others not at all, so for me it served to remind me that our own experiences of ASDs are very personal ones. The biggest positive message for me was that she has been able to sustain a marriage and raise a family despite her challenges.
Angela
I found this book to be very informative in what it's like to have Asperger's Syndrome. I'm grateful for reading it because it gives me somewhat of an opening to see what my child will be/is facing while dealing with his AS. I'm grateful for the hope that shines through this up until the end. Just because someone is different than everyone else, doesn't mean they're any less of a person.
Lizzy Sweets
Willey was diagnosed by Tony Attwood (and a few other psychologists she has gone to over the years) immediately after she wrote this book. I think her insight is interesting and spot on for many women who weren't diagnosed until they were adults. I love all her books and believe them to be filled with hope and positive ideas, while not downplaying the complications life with ASD can bring.
Sheri
This book was fascinating. It was really interesting to learn so much about Asperger's Syndrome from someone that has it. It was a very hopeful book, especially for anyone that has issues like that in their family. It also made me think about how I relate to others that are different and how I could do better.
Athalia Stoneback
This is a very good book about Asperger's. Unlike other books about the subject, it is written in a personal manner, so we can learn what the condition is like for her. I felt sad for her when she talked about being left behind one time in college. I wished she had driven off and left those women behind.
Michaela
Somewhat questionable in that author has never technically been diagnosed with AS. But offers an interesting glimpse into a world that is unknown to many of us and isn't readily understood. I read it because she was on NPR as she had inspired the director of the movie Adam.
  • Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
  • Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
  • Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey Through Autism
  • Atypical: Life with Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters
  • Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story
  • Send in the Idiots: Stories from the Other Side of Autism
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism
  • Emergence: Labeled Autistic
  • Nobody Nowhere: the Extraordinary Autobiography of an Autistic
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism
  • All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • There's a Boy in Here: Emerging from the Bonds of Autism
  • How Can I Talk If My Lips Don't Move?: Inside My Autistic Mind
  • Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian
  • George and Sam
Asperger Syndrome in the Family: Redefining Normal Safety Skills for Asperger Women: How to Save a Perfectly Good Female Life Asperger Syndrome in Adolescence: Living with the Ups, the Downs and Things in Between Ich bin Autistin - aber ich zeige es nicht. Leben mit dem Asperger-Syndrom (German Edition) Pretending to be Normal: Living with Asperger's Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder) Expanded Edition

“Like bookends, we have learned to support each other when the stuff in the middle pushes us apart.” 4 likes