Start by marking “Selected Letters” as Want to Read:
Selected Letters

Selected Letters

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  8 reviews
EDITED BY JOANNE TRAUTMANN BANKS, WITH A PREFACE BY HERMIONE LEE

The finest and most enjoyable of Virginia Woolf's letters are brought together in a single volume. It is a marvellous collection - spontaneous, witty, often flirtatious and powerfully moving. Whether bemoaning some domestic travail, commenting publicly on the state of the nation, or discussing cultural, artist
Published September 4th 2008 by Vintage Classics (first published March 14th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Letters

Samantha Kang
When I reached the end of the book, I felt an overwhelming sense of despair. No longer would there be another page of clever humour and lovely poetry in prose; I have reached the ultimate end of the book. I also felt rather angry; why should a woman who so strongly championed the oppression of women in her society ever succumb to the oppressing devils in her head? Then again, I know that her life should not - and can not be ever defined by her eleventh hour. Thus, “given her griefs, it is a cour ...more
Zen Cho
Virginia Woolf was startlingly classist and (sadly, less surprisingly) racist, but so charming, brilliant (and pleasingly aware of it), warmly human. I read this slowly, beginning to end, and felt so upset when I read her last two letters: it was a little like losing a friend.
Catherine
“When the Day of Judgment dawns and people, great and small, come marching in to receive their heavenly rewards, the Almighty will gaze upon the mere bookworms and say to Peter, “Look, these need no reward. We have nothing to give them. They have loved reading.”

Matt
In one of the last letters in this collection, to her friend Ethel Smyth, Virginia Woolf writes, "Thank God, as you would say, one's fathers left one a taste for reading!" This is a book that surely seconds that notion. The letters present nothing less than a portrait of the development of a personality. One comes away from the book with a feeling of almost having known Mrs. Woolf, or, at the very least, wishing one could have known her.
For all intents and purposes, letter writing is now a lost
Sabrina Cheves
Okay, I never finished it, but it wasn't because of a lack of interest. I don't remember what happened. I had never read someone's letters before. I'll just say it was very cool; how's that? The great thing about this book is that you don't really have to read ALL of it to get something from it...but you'll probably want to. I think I will find this one again and finish it.
Doroty
A lengthy, arduous read -as I feel with all her written work; I suspect it's her prose- but ultimately very fulfilling and enriching. She has a way with words.
Ellen
Superb. Added so much to my understand of the relationship between Virginia Woolf and her sister, Vanessa Bell, the acclaimed Bloomsbury artist. Highly recommend this book!
Naomi
Beautifully written letters, with some poignant moments - very pleasant 'reading to sleep' material.
Shoug
Shoug marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Hélène Lagonelle
Hélène Lagonelle marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Prianne
Prianne marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Sondos
Sondos marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Laura S
Laura S marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Sasha
Sasha is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Aga
Aga marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Elizabeth Erwin
Elizabeth Erwin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Albert  Gubler
Albert Gubler marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Mieke De wilde
Mieke De wilde marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Decca: The Letters of Jessica Mitford
  • The Letters, Vol. 1: 1945-1959
  • Giving Up the Ghost
  • Letters of Ted Hughes
  • The Groucho Letters
  • Mrs. Woolf and the Servants: An Intimate History of Domestic Life in Bloomsbury
  • Virginia Woolf and Vanessa Bell
  • Dear Bunny, Dear Volodya: The Nabokov-Wilson Letters, 1940-1971
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World
  • A Postillion Struck by Lightning
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...
Mrs. Dalloway To the Lighthouse A Room of One's Own Orlando The Waves