Start by marking “Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles at Work” as Want to Read:
Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles at Work

Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles at Work

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  28 reviews
This timely book expands on Viktor Frankl's seminal Man's Search for Meaning, examining the book's concepts in depth and widening the market for them by introducing an entirely new way to look at work and the workplace. Alex Pattakos, a former colleague of Frankl's, brings the search for meaning at work within the grasp of every reader using simple, straightforward languag ...more
Published October 10th 2004 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Prisoners of Our Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoners of Our Thoughts

Nicholas
Chris Gottlieb
Be the creator of your own growth and happiness: Prisoners of our Thoughts brings to life one of the most important principles that Viktor Frankl awakened in many of us - and that is that "everything can be taken from a man but...the last of the human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of cirucumstances, to choose one's way". Given what I have learned from this one quote, I feel a responsibility to recommend Prisoners of Our Thoughts to others.

Dr Pattakos both captures the exp

Hans
The thing that moved me the most about this book was the clarity it brought to some of Viktor Frankl's ideas. I am especially fond of the idea that life is full of meaning and purpose but it is up to the individual to create it for themselves. There are ways of rising above the human condition, not escaping it, but transcending it through liberation from poor values, perspectives and attitudes. Personal growth is a trail walked alone and yet we are all on it together. True inner freedom only com ...more
Matthew
I would've given this book a two or three, but the writing is so uneven it's difficult to gather the good from the bad. I agree with another reviewer - just read Frankl.

He goes on and on against complaining before adding the nuance that complaint might be part of the clarification that leads to action. This is typical of Pattakos's inability to distinguish one type of struggle versus another, a situation of "unavoidable suffering" in a concentration camp vs the struggle against bad working condi
Felwah Al-Quraini
لاشيء جديد في هذا الكتاب!
ذلك الكلام الكثير الذي يتردد في كتب تطوير الذات تم إعادته مره اخرى!
Cathy Allen
My copy of this one is stamped "discarded" across the bottom of the pages... a no-longer-circulated library book I purchased at a discount. (For those of you reading this on my blog - check out the "Abebooks" icon at right. It will take you to a network of discount booksellers offering new and used books at super-low prices.)

But taking this one out of circulation is a shame. It's a relatively young book, published in 2004, and it strikes an excellent balance between old-world philosophy and new
Oscar Romero
I am still amazed as how easy we fall pray to our own thoughts--and thus, take us the wrong way...and then, we somehow "wake up" and realize we are not where we wanted to be.

Well--this book is for you....it will help you identify the little things we need to pay attention to in order to stay true to your intentions.

يوسف الحضيف
كتب ورد ذكره في دورة الكارزما الروحية الكتب جيد في الجملة ومليئ بالتجارب ، قرأت النسخة العربية وهو بعنوان ( سجناء لافكارنا )
Yasir Mughal
How do I find meaning in my life? How can I find meaning in my work?
Devin Partlow
I recommend just reading and sticking with Man's Search For Meaning
BeyondDL
In a practical and easily accessible way, this book shows the reader the nature of philosophical factors that can shape a person's view on the meaning of their life and work. As the book almost exclusively references the work of a Viktor E. Frankl, it is not nearly comprehensive or ground breaking enough. But it is pleasant to read and take in as a mental breath mint refresher.
Holly Harrison Tran
This book, along with Man's Search For Meaning (Viktor Frankl) will absolutely change your life as it has countless others, including Christopher Reeves, John McCain, Nelson Mandela and several other inspiring people of the world. Every person in existence needs to read both of these books. An absolute life changer. Possibly saved mine.
Agoes
Buku ini ceritanya sih terapan konsep Logotherapy dari Viktor Frankl. Bukunya sendiri lumayan lah, ada tambahan sedikit-sedikit dan tidak hanya mengutip Frankl saja... tapi kayaknya mendingan baca bukunya Frankl saja sekalian.
Kristen
When you're frustrated and stuck in your job or a place in your life, this is the book to pick up. I'm not sure all the "exercises" are meaningful, but the jist of the book is good (and not too heavy of a read).
Amby
Notimpressed. I expected this book to take Mans search for meaning one step futher giving real & known examples who benefited from practice. The orginal book stands as only book that should be enough.

Jennifer Duke McDonald
I actually listened to this on my iPod after attending a leadership conference where this author spoke. Very interesting book. I plan on listening to "Man's Search for Meaning" next.
Marsha
Recollection of discussions about life and work between Victor Frankl and author Alex Pattakos. Some interesting insights which made me add Victor Frankl's own work to my reading list.
John Martindale
Not all that bad, but it never really grabbed my attention. There are some good principles throughout the book and it did expound a little more on Viktor Frankls work.
Wilma Rebstock
This is a wonderful book which expands on Victor Frankl's writing and experience. It tells of the writer and Frankel's relationship. Can't miss here. * * * * *
Summisse
it seemed like the author was living someone else's life. his personal story wasn't compelling. His claim to fame seemed to be that he knew Victor Frankel.
Tim
So far adds little to Frankl's writings, and what it does add is done in very shallow simplistic fashion. Maybe it will get better...
Roben
Thank you Mr. Pattakos. Thank you Mr. Frankl. I have now advanced a bit and it was completely painless!
Karynparry
I really enjoyed this read. It added to Viktor Frankl's book. It really gave good insight and meaning.
Travis
Made me want to read Frankl's book, Man's Search for Meaning.
Roger
Everyone should read this book! Whether religious or agnostic or atheist (I am) Great insight
Upawana manuaba
Jul 04, 2007 Upawana manuaba rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every one whose feeling no meaning on their live
even in the lowest life has meanings
we just have to find it
Eddie Black
The info is good, but it meanders. Just read Frankl
Angela
Amazing book on the power of perspective and choice. A practical reflection on the choices available to us humans, and an invitation to learn and practice our unique ability to choose our attitude in response to the circumstances and events outside our control.
Charles-David
Charles-David marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Sanja
Sanja marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • Get a Life, Not a Job: Do What You Love and Let Your Talents Work for You
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
  • Ecological Design
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living
  • Heroes: From Alexander the Great & Julius Caesar to Churchill & de Gaulle
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Brainchildren
  • You've GOT to Read This Book!: 55 People Tell the Story of the Book That Changed Their Life
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • For Tibet, with Love: A Beginner's Guide to Changing the World
  • The Second Book of the Tao
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • Financial Modeling [With CDROM]
  • The Google Way: How One Company Is Revolutionizing Management as We Know It
  • Business the Richard Branson Way: 10 Secrets of the World's Greatest Brand Builder
Alex Pattakos, Ph.D., affectionately nicknamed "Dr. Meaning," is a Modern-Day Greek Philosopher and internationally-recognized leader of the Meaning Movement, who is focused on bringing meaning to work, the workplace, and into everyday life. A very proud Greek American (of Cretan heritage), he is a co-founder of The OPA Way!, a philosophy of living inspired by and based on Greek culture, whose mis ...more
More about Alex Pattakos...
The OPA! Way: Finding Joy & Meaning in Everyday Life & Work Creative Tourism, a Global Conversation From Nation to States: The Small Cities Community Development Block Grant Program

“When we work creatively and productively with others, our experience of meaning can be profound. When we work directly for the good of others, meaning deepens in ways that reward us beyond measure. Whenever we go beyond satisfying our own personal needs, we enter the realm of what Frankl called "ultimate meaning." some call it connection to a higher self, to God, to our own spirit, to universal consciousness, to love, to the collective good. No matter what it's called, it is deep meaning and it transforms our lives.” 7 likes
“The search for meaning in our lives takes us on paths large and small. When we go beyond ourselves-whether in forgiveness, unselfishness, thoughtfulness, generosity and understanding toward others-we enter into the spiritual realm of meaning. By giving beyond ourselves, we make our own lives richer. This is a truth long understood at the heart of all meaningful spiritual traditions. It's a mystery that can only be experienced. And when we do experience it, we are in the heart of meaning. We are no longer a prisoner of our thoughts.” 5 likes