Start by marking “Recollections: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Recollections: An Autobiography

Recollections: An Autobiography

Born in 1905 in the center of the crumbling Austro-Hungarian Empire, Viktor Frankl was a witness to the great political, philosophical, and scientific upheavals of the twentieth century. In these stirring recollections, Frankl describes how as a young doctor of neurology in prewar Vienna his disagreements with Freud and Adler led to the development of "the third Viennese S ...more
Published August 11th 2000 by Basic Books (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Recollections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recollections

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiLolita by Vladimir NabokovThe Far Side Gallery 4 by Gary Larson
123rd out of 139 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Eva Měřínská
s. 39
Ve věku patnácti nebo šestnácti let jsem v tomto kruhu přednášel o ničem větším a o ničem menším než o smyslu života. Již tehdy jsem rozvinul své dvě základní myšlenky: že se vlastně na smysl života nesmíme ptát, neboť jsme to my sami, kdo je tázán: my jsme ti, kdo mají odpovědět na otázky, které nám klade život. A tyto životní otázky můžeme odpovědět jen tím, že odpovídáme za své vezdejší žití. Druhá základní myšlenka však vypovídá, že poslední smysl překračuje naše schopnosti chápání, mus
Sherry Buchanan
I discovered Viktor Frankl serendipitously when I was shelving books in the basement at Oregon State University about 10 years ago. I ran across The unheard cry for meaning: psychotherapy and humanism and discovered this Austrian psychiatrist's theory - logotherapy. The book had an impact on me because I was then working toward an MFA in Fiction Writing, and I was into literary criticism and psychology, from the writer's standpoint, but also from the point of view of a blossoming human. I forgot ...more
Apr 09, 2008 Tama rated it really liked it
I first read Frankls famous work, Mans Search For Meaning, which made this slim autobiography really "pop' for me. The photos add another depth to the his remarkable life story. Some of his jokes were cringe-worthy, yes, but serves to humanize--his greatest attribute being that of a man who forgives people. Forgiveness is such a personal and profound action. That "living forgiveness" that Frankl possesed allowed him to climb mountains both literally and figuratively. I believe that is the core o ...more
Dec 05, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I read this because I am writing a paper on his normative framework for a grad psych course. It's an easy read and he is really interesting - enough so that I am thinking about reading his The Doctor and the Soul and his Man's Search for Meaning.
Oct 07, 2007 Elyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Since one of my favorite books is Man's Search for Meaning, it was interesting to learn more about Viktor Frankl in this autobiography. The book provided a background and greater context to the experiences he endured in the concentration camps.
Franklin Trejo
Jul 07, 2014 Franklin Trejo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una forma humana de ver a un gran Maestro. En éstas hojas el Dr. Frankl nos muestras aquellas anécdotas, encuentros y sufrimiento que le tocó vivir durante su vida. Las imágenes que se muestran en el libro son realmente muy buenas.
Emilis Kuke
Kontrastinga knyga, kurioje pinasi liūdesys, beviltiškumas, kuriuos keičia optimizmas ir humoras - gyvenimas Frakl akimis ir kaip vyko jo gyvenimo prasmės paieškos. Smagu buvo skaityti - rekomenduoju.
Laura Siegel
Apr 04, 2012 Laura Siegel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I love the way this autobiography is written with short sweet reflections--meaningful moments for Frankl in his life. A lovely companion to "Man's Search for Meaning" which I would read first.
Jim Serger
Nov 26, 2013 Jim Serger rated it it was amazing
A book on what it means to "never give up "--a book on what means to help others, a book on a man who continued learn, dream, have vision, have meaning. Most of all, to give back to others.
Sep 03, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing
A truly inspiring and informative autobiography. I have always been fascinated by A Man's Search for Meaning and found that this book answers many of the questions I had about it.
Sep 10, 2012 Joshua rated it it was amazing
Victor Frankl's life is one of the most inspiring I've read. He is an example of the power of the human spirit.
Pedro Rosas
Nov 28, 2012 Pedro Rosas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meaning-in-life
Did you see those eyes...?
Jan 22, 2016 Grisham rated it really liked it
This book offered great insight to the Man Viktor Frankl was. Understanding his family life and devotion to them and to religion makes one think what the human condition is capable of.
Easy and quick read, I found entertaining!
Jul 10, 2014 Gonçalo rated it it was amazing
A very bright and cheerful autobiography, even considering everything Frankl’s gone through. I great insight about his life and work.
Nov 18, 2008 Melinda rated it it was ok
This book is a meandering account of Viktor Frankl's life. It has pictures and accounts of his parents and early childhood. It is not written in a particular chronological order, and events happening later in life pop up all over the place. It is more like a series of conversations that were written down word for word.

I was disappointed in the writing, the "all over the map" approach, and didn't really learn much. If you have 15 minutes, skim the book for the pictures and skim the stories. The
Sep 10, 2007 Hardeep rated it it was ok
Hmmmm- to tell you the truth, I have never been able to immerse myself in psychology and psychoanalytics. My type of discussion on the meaning of life involves Monty Python :-)

That said, Frankls experiences in the nazi concentration camps will likely lead me to read his most famed "Mans search for meaning".

St. Wait
Feb 04, 2012 St. Wait rated it liked it
Really quick read. Frankl has a lot of good stories regarding making the most in life. While overcoming the obstacles in front of him, he certainly takes everything in stride. The significant hardships he faces never reverse his positive attitude, medical work or sharp mind.
Corrie Beebe
Feb 27, 2010 Corrie Beebe rated it it was ok
An interesting, quick read, though not as interesting as I would have thought. Mostly just little anecdotes or stories about Viktor, but not a lot of depth. I am looking forward to reading Man's Search for Meaning.
Jan 26, 2015 Gina rated it it was amazing
Published on his 90th birthday- this book definitely reveals the humorous side of Frankl. Who knew that someone who suffered such great losses in his life would turn out to be such a funny and inspiring guy?
Apr 06, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
Being that mans search for meaning is my favorite book. Yes favorite. This book was a great quick read that helped to contextualize and humanize Frankl even more.
a bit stilted, still good background. interesting view into an influential man's life.
Nimboo rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Jade marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Hemanth marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Mirka Kavonius
Mirka Kavonius marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Mina Estefanous
Mina Estefanous marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Alžběěta Trusinoová
Alžběěta Trusinoová marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Ben Freeman
Ben Freeman marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Gratiela marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
  • Grundformen der Angst: Eine tiefenpsychologische Studie
  • Archetypal Patterns in Fairy Tales (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 76)
  • Viktor Frankl: A Life Worth Living
  • Paths of Life: Seven Scenarios
  • The Neurotic Personality of Our Time
  • Scenes from a Marriage
  • Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders
  • The Inner World of Trauma: Archetypal Defences of the Personal Spirit
  • The Gestalt Approach and Eye Witness to Therapy
  • Two Essays on Analytical Psychology (Collected Works 7)
  • Motivation and Personality
  • Scripts People Live: Transactional Analysis of Life Scripts
  • Kalle Blomquist, Eva Lotte und Rasmus
  • Psychoanalysis and Religion
  • The Nomad: The Diaries of Isabelle Eberhardt
  • Drinking the Rain: A Memoir
  • Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein
  • Love Alone: Eighteen Elegies for Rog
Viktor Emil Frankl M.D., Ph.D., was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist as well as a Holocaust survivor. Frankl was the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of Existential Analysis, the "Third Viennese School" of psychotherapy.

His book Man's Search for Meaning (first published under a different title in 1959: From Death-Camp to Existentialism. Originally published in 1946 as Ein Psycholog
More about Viktor E. Frankl...