Start by marking “The Red Rose Crew: A True Story of Women, Winning, and the Water” as Want to Read:
The Red Rose Crew: A True Story of Women, Winning, and the Water

The Red Rose Crew: A True Story of Women, Winning, and the Water

More than twenty years ago, a group of amazing women rowed their way to international success and glory, battling sexual prejudice, bureaucracy, and male domination in one of the most grueling and competitive sports. This gripping story of bravery, determination, and indomitable spirit captures a compelling moment in the history of sports.
Published September 27th 2000 by Hyperion (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Rose Crew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Rose Crew

Justine Philyaw
Apr 01, 2011 Justine Philyaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up in the post-Title IX world and having gone to an all-girls high school, I am naive enough to have never really thought about female athletes being mistreated. And in the elite, often snobbish, certainly male-dominated world of rowing, saying that the first women rowers were "mistreated" is like saying that a 1000 meter race is "only" 4 minutes. (For the record, the women of the red rose crew rowed 1000m in more like 3:21.) Lots of sports cliches come to mind- the team's indomitable sp ...more
Jen
Apr 08, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-reads
This is a re-read for me but I enjoyed it as much the second time as the first. Hard for me to imagine that, within my lifetime, this is the way women athletes were treated. It's obviously still not equal (see US Women's Soccer team), but we have made some progress, and it's a lot thanks to women like the Red Rose Crew.
Veronica Erb
Jan 31, 2014 Veronica Erb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regardless of my (distant at best) relationship with sports, I was inspired by the persistence of the women and allies of the Red Rose Crew, and I was appalled by the people who denied them the most basic of support.

As I read the team's story, I couldn't help but compare myself to the women. Is there anything I would fight this hard to access? How would I convince people different from me, who didn't want to accept "my kind," that they must? Carrie Graves seemed to have one answer—ignore them an
Anna
Nov 16, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okee, Daniel, laten we zeggen dat de marketingmensen er met je boek vandoor zijn gegaan en het als een verhaal over de emancipatie van Amerikaanse vrouwen in het roeien proberen te verkopen terwijl dat helemaal niet jouw insteek was. Dan. Alsnog. Heb je een potloodje?

Dingen om niet enorm dramatisch over te doen: de wind. Je mag natuurlijk dramatisch doen over wind, bijvoorbeeld als er overduidelijk iemand wint door een boeiverschil en/of er een stuurtje overboord waait en/of er boten zinken en/o
Becky
Jan 31, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think women athletes need more writers of their story. The complexities of lives headed into the sports arena and out of it when you are a women are very intense and compelling- I care for those athletes and how they decide to dedicate themselves to sport.

I thought this book was a good read- not great, but somewhat thought-provoking even as it left me wanting more. I had come to this book by asking a women rower at my gym if she had read Boys in the Boat - which I thought gave wonderful backgr
Joe White
Feb 02, 2012 Joe White rated it it was amazing
The author is very concise with the storyline and verbal descriptions. Covering multiple personalities through a short timeline while keeping a grip on the reader's interest is very rarely accomplished. This book in 200 pages captures the average reader's interest to describe a not well understood sport/activity that has a very small number of participants in the US. I think that at the end most readers will have a clear grasp of this story, an appreciation for this point in history, and a perce ...more
Az
Aug 09, 2010 Az rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gender-etc, sport
The writing was not always clear, there were topics sentences that failed to pan out.
The story, however, is brilliant. Particularly when put in an international context. The U.S. always claims to be ahead of other nations in their attitude toward women's sports, but it simply isn't true. While the climax of the book is predictable, the follow-up is very interesting. The events that occur at Yale sound brillant.
The cast of characters is presented in a highly realistic manner that encourages one
Joni Paranka
My daughter is a novice rower who talks about ergs and strokes and early morning practices. This book gave me better insight into what they do out on the water. To me, it seems a sport with incredible aesthetic appeal: flat still water at dawn, a team gracefully pulling together, long lean limbs and full body strength...Of course, reading about expending oneself so hard that it makes them vomit took some of the beauty out of the image! But I enjoyed the story and learned a lot about what makes a ...more
Aug 29, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a line on the cover of this book that insists people who don't know or care about rowing will still love it. And while I can't come at it from that perspective, I can heartily recommend it to anyone interested in great stories about strong women. It's a vivid reminder of how important Title IX is, and a useful tale for those of us who may take Title IX for granted. I can't believe women athletes were treated that way in my lifetime!
Chloe Malushaga
I recommend this book for readers who generally do not enjoy non-fiction and are interested in reading about rowing. At some point this book does get pretty boring… but if you read the beginning of the book you can skip over the boring parts. This book is a great read if your looking for something without a huge commitment; it's easy to pick up and put down
Rosemary
Sep 01, 2013 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book about the first women's 8 to compete internationally. It's amazing to think how far we've come. Title IX opened doors, and then strong bodied and strong willed women like these marched through them to show the world what committed, well trained, talented woke could do. Every rower should read this, as should everyone who loves a good "underdog does great" tale.
Kristin
Jun 22, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A great non-fiction account of the first women's international crew team from the US. Good combination of rowing history with the history of the individual rowers, and very engaging story arc. Recommended.
Gloria
Dec 27, 2015 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Gift from Omega.]

A good, fast read regarding this trailblazing eight. And I was really struck by it in part because it was happening shortly before I started at MIT; the environs and attitudes were pretty familiar....

And I like that the bow was small!
Audrey
Oct 20, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: cfb-book-group
This was a really great read but Boys in the Boat was better. I liked reading about a women's crew team and my local haunts. But, the team never seemed to jell and Carie wasn't really a team player and was probably borderline uncoachable.
Amber
Jun 12, 2011 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good, well-told story of the first US national women's crew team, how they came together, the different personalities and backgrounds, and their excellent coach. Not overly memorable, but would be recommended especially for young girls involved in sports.
Mcdonnelll
Dec 26, 2007 Mcdonnelll rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any woman who wants to be inspired.
This book was awesome. It's a true story of the women fighting to represent the U.S. in elite rowing. It's a story about overcoming obstacles and loving the sport of rowing. It really inspired me... as I had recently joined a rowing team the year before I read it.
Ruth
Aug 03, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story, but not nearly as compelling in its writing style as Boys in the Boat. A bit choppy but worth reading! Yeah Title IX... Those of us born too early to enjoy it in high school and college can revel in what those who followed us have done.
Jan 21, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All about how women's rowing got going on an international level in the 70s after Title 9. Fast read.
Leonore
Nov 25, 2012 Leonore rated it liked it
Good book for understanding Women's crew
Tressa
Mar 21, 2008 Tressa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was just ok... it was nice to read a true somewhat inspiring story about rowing, but it wasn't written all that well. If you're not a rower, I think you'd rate it even lower.
Anna
Oct 01, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, adult
Beautifully written creative nonfiction with inspirational and engaging content. If you love crew, athletics, or the history of women in sports, this book is for you.
Tyann
Apr 12, 2007 Tyann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you can't help but be inspired after this book - especially if you've ever rowed, you can really connect to what they did and how hard they worked - strong women row to win ;)
Rob Stowell
Jul 03, 2016 Rob Stowell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young female athletes
A compelling account of women athletes breaking barriers in the mid-1970s. Should be compulsory reading for young female athletes of today... and not just rowers.
Sarah Camp
Aug 20, 2012 Sarah Camp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful read...especially for (women) rowers!
Court
Jan 28, 2011 Court rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like it's the women's version of The Amateurs... all the more intriguing in that the woman portrayed were among the pioneers in their sport!
Michel Stone
Michel Stone rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Victoria Wright
Victoria Wright rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Hillary Schmidt
Hillary Schmidt rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
  • Snow Crystals
  • A Sense of Place, a Sense of Time
  • Mind Over Water: Lessons on Life from the Art of Rowing
  • The Scents of Eden: A History of the Spice Trade
  • Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian Submarines That Fought The Cold War
  • Stalking the Red Bear: The True Story of a U.S. Cold War Submarine's Covert Operations Against the Soviet Union
  • Here Comes the Bride: Women, Weddings, and the Marriage Mystique