Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story, Updated and Expanded Edition

Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story, Updated and Expanded Edition

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Business
Published November 27th 2008 by FT Press (first published January 2003)

Neil
This book is overhyped. I have a great passion toward delivering powerful presentations and I found this book disappointing. While it will certainly be helpful to the absolute amateur, a lot of Weissman's techniques are mediocre at best. The best sections of the book had to do with the verbal and organizational aspects of giving a presentation - how to brainstorm, how to think of a presentation, how to construct a storyboard, and how the audience's mind works. The worst parts of this book were a...more
Grzegorz Witek
I liked this book. Jerry Weissman presented a lot - and I mean A LOT - of different ways to improve presentations. I'm sure I will use the information from his book very often.
Before I started reading "Presenting to Win" I thought it might be yet-another-book-about-improving-yourself. But no, it's not saying "be confident, speak loud". It contains many general rules, but also many simple hints that will, I'm sure they will, improve the way I'm preparing presentations and showing them.
Paul Signorelli
You have to be good if you’re going to sell more than 100,000 copies of a book about how to be a better presenter. Jerry Weissman is good. And he gets to the heart of great presentation skills by reminding us, throughout this wonderfully engaging book, of the importance of story if we want to hold the attention of audiences at a time when attention spans are as ephemeral as yesterday’s tweets. Whether we're new to the art of presentation or are experienced presenter-trainer-teachers benefitting...more
Leanna Manuel
This was a fantastic book. I'm not sure what drew me to it since I am not necessarily in a position where I give formal presentations very often and frankly have avoided using audiovisual aids in the presentations I have given. Prior to reading this book I couldn't have told you what an IPO was and I'm not in an industry where I'm likely to give presentations to investors or in a multimillion dollar industry.

I have given presentations though and they haven't always gone the way I wanted them to....more
Raymond Esposito
I have conducted hundreds of seminars, attended the same number of client meetings, presented to investors and board members, and have lead various teams. Presenting to Win has been my go to book for designing effective presentations that are concise, powerful and well-received. If you are in the a field that requires presentations this book should be the foundation for your approach and presentation.
David
The great Brad Holaway gave me this book saying, "I've read it 3x already, here, take it, just read it."

It's on telling your "point" as a story. It's on seeing interaction as persuasion. An idea I am not always comfortable with (per conversations at my home in the early 2000's about relationship = influence). More to come...

Pretty good book that pushes a main point: the What's In It for YOU!! Keys in on the idea of value: is a product, service, idea, relationship, etc. Valuable (worth something)...more
Raven
Another book from my childbirth educator training reading list. Although teaching a course is quite different from giving a business pitch presentation, there were some good reminders throughout this book. For instance, remember that any visual aides or slide show presentations are there to support the presenter, not to state every word of the presentation or serve as a crutch for the presenter. Keep it simple, connect with your audience, and make things clear. I wouldn't say any of this was tha...more
Johnny Holiday
Great book if you are planning on giving any sort of presentation.

I liked his emphasis on understanding the needs of your audience; what they care about, what they are interested in, the problems they face the dreams that they cherish and the biases that they hold. Then he asks the question...how can what you have (product, idea or service)give them what they want? This, of course, applies to business presentations as well as those that come up in personal and family life!

He shows how to organiz...more
Res
Focus is on structuring a presentation; there's very little on bells and whistles, and, refreshingly, no chapter on how to use PowerPoint.

Actually delivering the presentation is only touched on. Other books will have better info on that.

One drawback: He's only focusing on one type of presentation, the type that's designed to persuade an audience to do something for you. (Here, it's usually investing in your business.) It takes a bit of a leap to apply his lessons to presentations that are desi...more
Ben Z.
Useful, no-nonsense manual for creating effective business presentations. The author gives many useful tactics and ideas to help you create a narrative, organize your slides, customize for your audience, and design and animate the final presentation.

While some of his case studies are a bit dated, many of Weissman's examples and "watch outs" offer a solid style guide for any modern presenter. Many of his principles are based on simple storytelling, perception, and audience psychology.
Jollyroger15
Disappointed. I have read much of the same before in other presentation guides.
Ruhil
This is a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed it because the author speaks out to the reader as if he were guiding you through a story. It is very detailed and well put together. The diagrams provide excellent visual aid in how to organize an effective presentation. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to become a good communicator whether they present in front of a large group of people or just to an individual.
Karen
This book was focused on business presentations, while my public speaking is geared toward community education and volunteer recruitment. That said, there are a lot of good tips in here about how to structure presentations to make them more engaging, and I will try to incorporate some of those ideas into my future talks.
Monique
Great how-to guide for how to perfect your presentation. The chapters are well organized and easy to understand. You can improve your presentations bit by bit adding an additional segment with each edit. The use of personal stories and references to current issues will bring participants into your realm of knowledge captivating their attention. Powerful reference tool which I will refer to often.
Vaughn
Solid 3.5 stars. In this book, Weissman provides some very helpful insight into structuring and framing effective presentations. I found some of the examples redundant, which took away from the book's appeal. One of the most helpful aspects was the comprehensive appendixes, which I copied and stuck in my tool kit for presentation preparation - many, many good reminders.
Mike
This is an excellent aid to creating clear presentations. Weissman puts his principles into practice in the writing of the book itself. It is easy to follow and his main point of each chapter sticks with you. Here are his 5 cardinal problems with most presentations.

1. No clear point.
2. No audience benefit.
3. No Clear flow.
4. Too many details.
5. Too long.
Jim Tincher
A good overview of how to build a speech, with some very in-depth recommendations. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it has some excellent reminders, and then really goes into detail around such things as slide design and connecting your various topics together.
Jim Hoffecker
Great book on the concepts to help someone learn how to properly present their ideas in a way that leads people forward. Many of the concepts make sense and will enhance anyone's presentations.
Omid
این کتاب رو به تمام کسایی که می خوان در جلوی جمع کثیری از حضار ارایه بدن محصول یا مقاله یا هر چیزیو به شدت توصیه می کنم !
نکاتش چه برای ارایه از طریق پاور پوینت و چه شفاهی بسیار کاربردیه
Joe
This was a free kindle book so I figured why not...I wanted to do a little research this topic as I use PowerPoint quite a bit. There are some very helpful ideas in this book.
Jamie
This book offers a tool set for presentations. More importantly, it offers direction without over-saturated philosophy. This is more than a book - it is a reference.
Amber
Adam is reading this. It proves to be a great reference book. I tried to get into but it is more of something to read as you are preparing a presentation.
Anna
I can see this being an excellent workshop, but it just doesn't translate all that well to a book. Even the attempt seems to contradict itself.
Ian
Great advice about giving presentations. Totally changed my thoughts about how to structure a slideshow and create slides.
Jesse
Good content, though a little dry. I liked "Resonate" by Nancy Duarte better- similar content, but done better.
Andrew R.
It's a basic book about the basics of making a good presentation. Should be required reading in B-school.
Lori Grant
A must-read book on marketing tools for the knowledge worker, manager, executive, or entrepreneur.
Breccan
A decent set of presentation points. Followed by some out of date info on power point.
Ryan
Oct 24, 2007 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any presenter
Love clear books that serve as reference tools. This one is one of the best.
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts The Power Presenter: Technique, Style, and Strategy from America's Top Speaking Coach Presentations in Action: 80 Memorable Presentation Lessons from the Masters Winning Strategies for Power Presentations: Jerry Weissman Delivers Lessons from the World's Best Presenters Presentation Skills That Work: Expert Advice from Jerry Weissman