Start by marking “The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance” as Want to Read:
The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance

The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Christians trying to model their lives after Jesus may find that He gets buried under lists, rules, and formulas. Now bestselling author Randy Alcorn offers a simple two-point checklist for Christlikeness based on John 1:14. The test consists of balancing grace and truth, equally and unapologetically. Grace without truth deceives people, and ceases to be grace. Truth witho ...more
Published January 9th 2003 by Multnomah Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Grace and Truth Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grace and Truth Paradox

Nancy Bandusky
In the past Christians have been too centered on truth and many now are finding the churches too full of grace. This book shows the necessity of balancing grace AND truth - for we must have both to be like Christ.

While this is a short book full of examples, it does deliver important insights that Christians should take to heart. With that being said, I did feel - maybe because of its limited length - there was a bit of a redundancy on points.
One of my all-time favorite books. God didn't make it hard for us--religion makes it hard for us. So often Pastors of various denominations argue opposing bits of minutia to the point that the Scripture is distorted and disfigured and I am left confused and wondering if they read the same Bible I did. Now I just weigh to what degree each opinion is out of Grace/Truth balance. This short clearly-written book puts the badly-abused Word of the Lord back into His sensible perspective. Yeah, Grace/Tr ...more
Decent and short book reviewing the differences between Grace-driven Christians and Truth-driven Christians. Some are extreme on one end or the other. Both can be damaging to the Body of Christ and to those outside of the church. I personally tend to lean more towards grace, but understand the importance of keeping foundational truths at the core of my beliefs.

"Truth without grace crushes people and ceases to be truth. Grace without truth deceives people and ceases to be grace. Truth without gra
Matt Hartzell
Jun 09, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Matt by: Anne Owen
Shelves: theology
This was a short book little book. I think it serves as a helpful reminder for how to approach people. I don't have much to say about it, as it was very short, and probably could have been even shorter and still communicated the main gist well.
Jaime Kes
Highly recommended for anyone who struggles with being too harsh with the truth or can't ever speak the truth. This book is all about Christ-like balance. I loved it and learned a ton!
Jan 05, 2011 Jon added it
Every encounter with Christ was all grace. Every encounter with Christ was all truth. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” –John 1:14. We must be in every situation–100% Grace. 100% Truth. ”Truth without grace breeds self-righteousness and crushing legalism. Grace without truth breeds deception and moral comprom ...more
Bob Hayton
Randy Alcorn's book, The Grace and Truth Paradox is an excellent book. It is based on John's statement in John 1:14 that Jesus was "full of grace and truth". Some churches (and Christians) today emphasize grace over truth while others do just the opposite. Christ did neither. He was full of grace and truth.

The book is small (92 pages). Yet it has a big message. Maybe that's why it's part of Multnomah's "Small Books, Big Change" series!While it is very easy to read, some of its principles are pot
I loved this tiny little book which I picked up when listening to George Weber. he gives book like that all around the world. that one is a great encouragement to have both have and truth when being day to day living. I loved all his illustrations. I loved the illustration of Eric Liddell: I didn't know he ended dying in Japan concentration camp while a missionary in China. I want to be more truthful and graceful
I don't think I can grasp everything in this book with one read. Its an easy read, but for deeper understanding a second read through will be required. There were a few statements that were impactful to me: "Grace never ignores or violates truth. Grace gave what truth demanded: the ultimate sacrifice for our sins." and "The ancient, historical Jesus came full of grace & truth. The modern, mythological Jesus comes full of tolerance & relativism. Even in the church truth is sometimes burie ...more
Julie Perry
This is one of those books I will always keep. I read it periodically every now and then because it is such a great little nugget of wisdom. Spiritually sound, Biblically sound.
Excellent! A good reminder and encouragement to seek that Christlike balance in all we do, speaking truth in love, loving the sinner (of whom I am chief) while hating the sin.
Donna Pallini
Randy Alcorn did a wonderful job of explaining and illustrating the concept of grace and the concept of truth and then bringing the two together. Highly recommend this book.
This was a very good book, especially for how short it is. I think most Christians lean a little off center of grace/truth one way or the other. This book was a good reminder that as Christians we need to work at getting centered, we need to pray for help to do it. It was a memorable book with a few real gems in it. I will listen to it again with pen and paper in hand next time. For non-Christians it would help explain to them why Christians are big on Truth and why it matters. Really liked this ...more
Marmar Dagu-ob
gave me clarity on grace and truth.
A friend loaned me this book to read, and I now plan to purchase a copy for my own library so I can re-read, underline, and make notes in the margins. Excellent, clearly written message backed thoroughly with scripture. If you do not fully understand why grace & truth MUST go hand in hand, NEVER one without the other, then you must read this book! Thank you, Mr. Alcorn.
This book was very helpful and while I walked away from it more aware of my own tendencies, there are some wording issues that weren't helpful to me. I think he spoke of truth & grace being "balanced". This seems inaccurate to me. I would described the two as intertwined---grace informs truth, truth informs grace--so that truth isn't really truth unless it includes elements of grace & vice versa.
Randy Alcorn explains, that both grace and truth are vital for the Christian faith. Truth without grace is legalism. Grace without truth will lead people to believe that sinning is no big deal. This book was full of reminders that Jesus was the perfect blend of grace and truth. As followers of Christ we should try to also act as Jesus did offering grace and truth to those around us.

Adam Shields
Short review: He gets the grace right, but then has such a amorphous (and undefined) view of what truth is that it is quite unhelpful. Overall, the idea is communicated, but I would not really recommend it. Mostly focused on evangelism, but I would like a lot more about grace and truth within the church as well.

My full review is at
Absolutely phenomenal. This book helps us recovering religious folk find our way out of that web with the plain truth of what Jesus came to do and live in the balance of what seemingly opposites (grace and truth). I don't normally underline but this book had my pen going. It left me encouraged, challenged, righted and changed. I am very glad I read it.
Aaron Loy
Randy Alcorn uses Scripture and many real-life anecdotes to explain why it is necessary to understand that God is equal parts Grace and Truth. And not just 50/50, but 100% Grace AND 100% Truth. With this knowledge, we better understand God's character and Gospel that we might share them both with others.
Amazing book weighing the difference between, and tension between, grace and truth. Love the description of grace and truth being on the opposite ends of a wire stretched with tension. Draws attention to the need for a balanced approach in Christian life and practice.
Shawn Thornton
Simple, short, easy to read. But, deep, practical, Christ-centered content. THIS IS THE BOOK I HAD PLANNED TO RIGHT! Alcorn beat me to it. He also did a better job than I ever would have. I keep copies of this to give ministry leaders when they stop by my office.
Jan 03, 2011 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know why truth and grace cannot function on their own.
amazing book! alcorn tells us in his book that withholding Christ's truth from someone is really withholding Christ's grace. and withholding grace from someone discourages that person from discovering the truth. a definite must read!
Very good. Will probably read it many times. The description of how radical God's grace is compared to what we extend to others stood out to me. As well as the description of the fullness of grace and the fullness of truth.
If you are a liberal Christian you should read this to see why conservative Christians aren't all wrong.

If you are a conservative Christian you should read this to see why liberal Christians aren't all wrong.
Camille Eide
This is such an awesome little book that clearly helps explain & encourage the important balance between sharing the truth AND the grace of Christ. Powerful little 83 pages. Must read for everyone of Christian faith.
Such a great book I stumbled upon years ago, not knowing anything else by the author. What a great surprise. Both the subject and message are so relevant, and so so so good. Please read this book.
Mar 21, 2012 Doug added it
Really enjoying for many reasons, nearly finished, short read,..more later!
Seeking application and connection between God/Faith and Workplace Leadership dynamics/this has much to add to my learning@!
Curt Matzenbacher
Great book! I had never thought about the significance of John 1:14 saying that Christ came "full of grace and truth." He says that if we are not representing both, we are not representing Christ.
Michelle Polk
An awesome book that brings truth and grace together. Those that debate the issues of grace and works really need to read this book. It leaves no question and give lots of insights!!
  • Practical Religion
  • A God Entranced Vision of All Things: The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • Discipline: The Glad Surrender
  • Dropping Your Guard
  • Christians Get Depressed Too: Hope and Help for Depressed People
  • For the Love of God: Volume One: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word
  • Broken-Down House: Living Productively in a World Gone Bad
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • The Calvary Road
  • God's High Calling For Women
  • Surrender: The Heart God Controls
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...