Start by marking “Jamestown, the Buried Truth” as Want to Read:
Jamestown, the Buried Truth

Jamestown, the Buried Truth

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  24 reviews
What was life really like for the band of adventurers who first set foot on the banks of the James River in 1607? Important as the accomplishments of these men and women were, the written records pertaining to them are scarce, ambiguous, and often conflicting, and those curious about the birthplace of the United States are left to turn to dramatic and often highly fictiona ...more
Published September 29th 2006 by University of Virginia Press

To ask other readers questions about Jamestown, the Buried Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jamestown, the Buried Truth

Jamestown, the Buried Truth by William M. KelsoA Land As God Made It by James HornBefore and After Jamestown by Helen C. RountreeMartin's Hundred by Ivor Noël HumeLove and Hate in Jamestown by David A. Price
Books about Early Jamestown, Virginia
1st out of 11 books — 4 voters
John Adams by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin1776 by David McCulloughBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
US History Reading List
55th out of 65 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Justin
Margaret
This book, written by the head archaeologist of the Jamestown Resdiscovery Project, has been extremely well-researched. If you have a special interest in Jamestown, I highly recommend it. If you don't, you might find it a little dry. He did not leave one thing out, which would make it fascinating to some and sleep-inducing to others.
Michel
Painstaking scholarly description of the most minute details of an archeological excavation.
Painfully few new historical insights, and virtually no interaction with other sources.
Definitely not the definitive book on J'town.
I guess we'll have to wait for the quincentennial?
Elisabeth Cole
This is a book for older kids but since I love history and especially anything about Jamestown I read it anyway. Great read! I thought I had kept up on everything about Jamestown but there was stuff in there I didn't know.
Emily
This fascinating book holds enormous insight into the archaeological treasures of Jamestown. Mr. Kelso, the Head Archaeologist of the decade-plus-long Jamestown Rediscovery Project, takes the readers through a very detailed description of the findings over that time period. I was amazed at the thoroughness and breadth of the science used; everything from bone chemistry analysis to geneaology to dendrochronology to exhumation and DNA sampling of possible relatives of Jamestown settlers buried bac ...more
Sean
This is a book put together by the Head Archaeologist of the Jamestown Rediscovery Project for the 400th Anniversary of the founding of Jamestown in 1607. The archaeological investigation is clearly ongoing as just recently, six years after the anniversary, a discovery was announced that cannibalism took place in approximately 1610. After reading most of the book - I skimmed the last chapter which seemed to jump from findings of the early founding period to summarize several findings related to ...more
Rosemary
If you want to dig into the history of Jamestown, this is the book for you. I enjoyed all of the information about the early fort and the people who lived there. The last chapter, Royal Jamestown, was not as interesting.
Anne
Great read if you are interested in American archaeology and the history of the findings of the first English settlement.
Lisa
Aug 13, 2014 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: penn
An interesting archaeological look at Jamestown. One of my first experiences of reading archaeology.
Terrell Baldwin
Great read and great insight.
Robert Ross
This was an incredibly well written account of the recent discoveries at Jamestown and helps fill in the gaps of what happened in the first permanent English colony in America. The archaeological exploration is recounted in a fashion that makes it extremely accessible to the casual reader. Especially fascinating was the forensic DNA search that went back to England in an attempt to confirm the identity of bodies found on the site. I look forward to following the continuing work on-line!
Ann
Of course I loved this - well-researched, pictures, compelling information, etc. The most amazing this was the recount of Kelso's DNA testing on the remains of female relatives of Jamestown leader Batholomew Gosnold. The women are buried inside various working churches in England - the fact that Kelso got permission, and managed to get DNA samples is a stunning feat of scholarship. So exciting to think of the future implications DNA testing has for historical research.
John
Very interesting book. It can be tedious at times, as the archeologist author goes into great detail about his finds, but overall it's an interesting look back on history. The book ranges from historical overview to complex detective story. It brings Jamestown to life ... the English settlers, the "divers others", native Americans, and their respective challenges and every day lives.
Converse
The most recent archaeological work at the first Virginia capital & early English settlement. Original fort unearthed. But author can spend more text describing remodelling of a building than on more important matters, such as what the skeletons reveal about the high mortality of the early settlers.
Brandie
Interesting read about Jamestown. Obviously a lot of speculation based on what the archeologists have dug up around there. But it is interesting to speculate what life was like for the colonists and the trials they faced. Although I expected a bit more from it but oh well. It was an interesting read.
Donna
Way too detailed. Some points were beaten to death so is was really hard to read and keep my interest. I liked to read about the people and their lives. Some of the expainations as to why certain things were done was very interesting. This is not a book for the casual reader.
Erin
I had to read this for an American History class. I was informative, but the archeological aspects of the second chapter dragged on for so long that it made the book rather boring. I'm glad I read it, but I'm glad I'm done with it as well.
Great archaeological study of Jamestown. It's really best as part of a bigger historiography of the topic - I would recommend it along with other histories of the colony.
Erin Estes
makes me want to go to Cape Cod and dig for Gosnold's 1602 attempt to colonize and also the James River forts also mentioned as being similar to James Fort
Frederick Bingham
This book describes the discovery of the original fort at Jamestown by the archaeologist who found it. I learned about the book on a tour I took at the site.
Kasey
Was interesting in the fact that it had a lot of undiscovered stories, but at some points the overwhelming amount of details just about bore me to sleep!
Margaret Sankey
Archeological reconstruction of daily life in James Fort through the more than 500,000 objects found in the dig.
Pamela
This was too much archeology/forensics explanation for me.
Miles Phillips
Mar 07, 2010 Miles Phillips marked it as to-read
Recommended to me but I have not read it yet.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Gayle Francis Moffet
Gayle Francis Moffet marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • A Land As God Made It: Jamestown and the Birth of America
  • Savage Kingdom
  • Love and Hate in Jamestown: John Smith, Pocahontas, and the Start of a New Nation
  • Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team
  • Written in Bones: How Human Remains Unlock the Secrets of the Dead
  • The First Americans: In Pursuit of Archaeology's Greatest Mystery
  • Voyagers to the West: A Passage in the Peopling of America on the Eve of the Revolution
  • The Life and Death of a Druid Prince
  • Digging for the Truth: One Man's Epic Adventure Exploring the World's Greatest Archaeological Mysteries
  • The Faiths of the Founding Fathers
  • Good Wives, Nasty Wenches, and Anxious Patriarchs: Gender, Race, and Power in Colonial Virginia
  • America BC: Ancient Settlers in the New World
  • The Lost Tomb
  • Roanoke: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Colony
  • Buried in the Bitter Waters: The Hidden History of Racial Cleansing in America
  • The Mummies of Ürümchi
  • The Celts
  • The Enlightenment: And Why It Still Matters
Kingsmill Plantation, 1619-1800: Archaeology of Country Life in Colonial Virginia Archaeology at Monticello: Artifacts of Everyday Life in the Plantation Community Jamestown Rediscovery, 1994 2004 Earth Patterns: Essays In Landscape Archaeology Rediscovering Jamestown: The First Five Years