Start by marking “The Guardian” as Want to Read:
The Guardian

The Guardian

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Hunter has never had anyone to look out for him. His mother gave him away when he was young, he’s never known his father, and his foster mother leaves a lot to be desired in the mothering department. So when a mysterious, benevolent force suddenly starts coming to his aid, Hunter doesn’t know what to believe. Could he really have a guardian angel? Hunter so badly wants som ...more
Published March 31st 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian

The Tempest by William ShakespeareThe Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliThe Odyssey by HomerThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Pearl by John Steinbeck
The Blank
190th out of 251 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Yan
It was about two-thirds into the book that I really started to get into the book. That was when the emotional high of Hunter finally reached its peak. Where the frustration, and so-called guardian, all came crashing down. It was exhilarating to finally see Hunter fighting back. Always the quiet and fearful one, Hunter defends himself against the one thing that held him back, his foster mother. So applause goes to Hunter for finding his hidden strength.

The characters were a bit off. I think the a
Jane Ellen
Hunter LaSalle, age thirteen, is a foster child who yearns for a true sense of family. When his foster father dies and his foster mother Stephanie bullies Hunter and his three foster sisters with unbridled cruelty, Hunter falls to his knees in prayer. He remembers when he was four years old and he was visited by his guardian angel, the angel Gabriel. Hunter's situation becomes desperate and miraculously, the angel comes back into his life riding on a motorcycle. Hunter is not stupid. In fact he ...more
Kaitelynne Lange
Natalie
Hunter's life has been a series of good and bad luck. Mostly bad. His mom died when he was four and he was sent into the foster care system.

His first three homes weren't that great, then he moved in with Mike, Stephanie, and three foster girls. Things are looking up. Until Mike dies.

But then things just get weird. Hunter remembers a guardian angel from when he was 4 and now it seems his prayers are being answered. Is the guardian angel real or does he have more bad luck coming his way?

Hunter an
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Hunter has been tossed around the foster care system for as long as he can remember. He was four years old when he was sent to live in a Catholic orphanage. Since then, he has lived with a series of foster families. Most recently, he's been living with Mike and Stephanie. One of four foster children, life there is pretty good. That is until Mike has a stroke and dies.

Now, Hunter is living a nightmare. When her husband died, Stephani
T.V and Book Addict
Hunter is a 13 year old living with his abusive foster mother and three sisters. Things were going pretty well for him until his foster father dies. His foster mother becomes INCREASINGLY more abusive towards him, the bully at school raises the weekly fee, and because he can't stand it anymore he prays to that guardian angel he saw when he was four. But did he really see him? Is he imagining things or is his guardian angel really solving his problems? But do guardian angels seriously email peopl ...more
Sharon Lawler
Hunter remembers the first time his Guardian Angel Gabriel visited him. He was four years old and his mother was about to give him up to the state. He is now in middle school and has lived in four foster homes. His current home, includes three “sisters”, also foster children, and his recently widowed “mother” Stephanie. Since Mike’s death, Stephanie has decided that all the kids should contribute to the family income, including the Drew the kindergartner. Hunter, who spends time dodging bullies ...more
April
Since he was four years old, Hunter believed an angel was watching over him. All through his difficulties with his foster parents, he knew Gabriel was there.

But at the age of thirteen when his foster father Mike dies leaving him solely in the care of the physically abusive Stephanie, Hunter prays even harder for deliverance. What he gets isn't an angel but his ex-con father, Gabriel Salvatore.

This book was incredibly short, but so remarkably touching and heartbreaking. Hunter deserves so much
Linda Katzman
Doesn’t everyone need a guardian angel? The only difference for Hunter is that he knows that he has seen Gabriel in a vision when he was in the orphanage. He has since been through several foster homes and had almost forgotten. When his latest foster father dies unexpectedly, Hunter no longer has protection from his foster mom who never wanted a boy child in her home. He has had to use some of the excuses he had written down just in case. He finds that he has the need for prayer. Imagine his sur ...more
Ej Magtubo
The Guardian was really fast paced and its a book that's easy to enjoy. The slight twist in the story is what makes it interesting. I just really loved this
Sharon
Hunter is growing up in foster homes. He mostly liked the one he is in now until his foster Dad dies and his foster Mom becomes out of control. She decides her youngest foster child could be a child model and is about to agree to let a man take her for a day to take pictures without anyone present. Hunter is scared for her. He remembers he used to think he had a guardian angel so he asks for help. Mysteriously, everytime he prays to Gabrial the angel, his prayers are answered. Ms Sweeney keeps t ...more
Heather
still not sure what my thoughts are on this book.
Susan P
Hunter is a foster child living in a home with an abusive mother. His foster dad has recently died, and his foster mom, Stephanie, who never wanted a boy in the first place is taking out her grief and anger on him. Hunter needs help - but no one seems to be coming to his rescue. Then he becomes convinced that a guardian angel is watching over him. But is the man with the long dark hair really an angel?...
Gail Shepherd
Full disclosure: The Guardian was written by my teacher, but I would have adored this book even if it was written by a total stranger. The main character is by turns hilarious and endearing and heartbreaking, and this story of a foster-care boy who mistakes his real father for an angel resonates with deeply felt emotion and powerful insights in what it means to have authentic "relations." Love.
Jaylen Johnson
This book wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Toward the end the book got pretty interesting. The action started to pick up late in the book. If you've been in a foster home then you should read this book. The main character has been moved around in different foster homes. He doesn't know what it feels like to be in a real home. He's been in the home he's in now for 4 years.
Lucy
Melanie
After reading the blurb, I was kind of hoping for a mainstream-publisher YA novel about the supernatural, so I was kind of disappointed when this turned out to be a mainstream-publisher YA Problem Novel. If it hadn't been for bad blurb disappointment, I think I would have enjoyed this quite a bit more.
Kelli Venier
This was a bit slow starting off, but the last half of it pulled me in and I couldn't put it down. I wanted to book talk it at a Middle school level, I think I could pull it off with only one f word...Not sure yet.
I really really really liked this book though. Very good read!
Daria
I'd give this book a 2.5. It was a quick read and there are definitely kids I will be able to sell this to. For me it just wasn't as "unexepected" as the jacket copy led me to believe--I was looking for something more like Skellig by David Almond.
Ricki
This is a nice book that I found to be a bit too predictable. I liked it, but I just found it to be like many others I've read. I'd give it 2.5 stars. I think a middle schooler or amateur reader might enjoy this book.
Kathryn
Jan 13, 2010 Kathryn added it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Kathryn by: Mrs. Locklin
The Guardian is an amazing book with an unexpected twist. Not once had the correct outcome of this book cross my mind. Once I began reading it, I just couldn't put it down.
Danie P.
A foster boy thinks that a guardian angel is looking after him after he starts praying again. He struggles to believe that it's real and believe that he's not insane.
Clare
Okay, kinda weird, and the character development was a bit inconsistent. There would be flashes of personality, and then everyone just turned back into cardboard.
RPBYS
This book is perfect for boys ages 13-14, especially reluctant readers. Engaging main character and driving plot.
Jodotha
A bit too stereotypical, but with a unique enough catalyst that it held out.
Sara
I liked this a lot. Great main character, mystery, suspense, action.
Reading for professional review.
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joyce Sweeney captured the attention of the YA book world when her novel Center Line was chosen as the winner of the first Delacorte Press Prize for an Outstanding First Young Adult Novel in 1984. Since that auspicious beginning she has continued to publish appealing novels for teens on a variety of topics, among them friendships, family relationships, and self-discovery. Four of those novels have ...more
More about Joyce Sweeney...
Waiting for June Players The Spirit Window Free Fall Shadow