Start by marking “The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Twentieth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Twentieth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Twentieth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror #20 - year 2007)

For twenty years this award-winning compilation has been the nonpareil benchmark against which all other annual fantasy and horror collections are judged. Directed first by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling and for the past four years by Datlow and Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant, it consistently presents the strangest, the funniest, the darkest, the sharpest, the most origina ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror

John
Jun 20, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Sorry for virtually the same review on whole anthology set

I own a trade sized paper back.

I started this anthology with the 5th Annual and I loved it so much I started collecting the whole set by signing up for pre-orders with the book store.

What sets this anthology apart from many others is that I always find two or three gems within its pages, many liked stories and very few I have to force myself through. More importantly, from those people I have noted who read these anthologies too, they say
Jen
Dec 11, 2008 Jen rated it liked it
My man bought this book because he was honorably mentioned in it for one of his stories from Thou Shalt Not and was happily surprised by it (oh the things you can find out about yourself on a search engine). I read it because it was lying about the house and anything that has print on it I consider fair game for reading material.

Many of the stories in here were better than good. Like almost any collection, a few of the stories are gems and a few are a few shades past fresh. I am fond of Margo L
Adina
Feb 07, 2014 Adina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeping up with my newly discovered love for the short fantasy & horror prose, after a remarkable first volume edited by Ellen Datlow I delved right into the third "The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror" anthology (I take no particular interest in their order, since they are stand alone collection of short stories).

These third book's stories had a stronger "epic" character somehow, lacking the "poetic" feeling that seemed to vibrate through those in the prior collection. The stories themselves
Emily
Feb 14, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling’s long-running anthology of the year’s best fantasy and horror has been, for me, one of the most reliable sources for really good fantasy fiction. For the last couple of years, Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant have taken over the fantasy side from Terri Windling, and I’m happy to say that they keep up the anthology’s high standards.

If you happen to like the editors’ taste in stories.

You can’t quite take this for granted. The stories in this collection lean heavily to
Donald
Apr 22, 2008 Donald rated it did not like it
If this is supposed to be the year's "best," why do they spend so much time talking about the pieces they didn't put in? Wouldn't those be, then, by default, not the best? Then why talk about them? Also, why spend 150 pages summing up the year in horror, fantasy, anime, media, and music if you're not putting it in the book, and then cap off the book with another 20 pages or so of "Honorable Mentions," most of which you've already mentioned in the first 150 pages?!

The stories in this collection a
Colin
Apr 29, 2008 Colin rated it liked it
Many people have little real idea of what makes up horror or fantasy. Those who shun the genres would probably be suprized to find they enjoy many of the titles listed here. The editors of this collection stray far from the accepted literary journals devoted to these genres. As such they have found horror and fantasy stories from many accepted nongenre journals. This collection didn't resonate for me as much as some others (one story in particular made no sense at all, requiring an afterword to ...more
Amy
May 29, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Horror short stories
This was a total roller coaster. It was a very exciting ride and I never knew what was coming next. There was so much creativity and originality that I despair of ever being a good writer. The editors put together this group of stories that transported me all over the world as well as into the intricate magic in the unseen microcosm of anyone's backyard. Some stories were challengingly subtle and some were expansive and grotesque.

The stories followed me. I found myself thinking about them at odd
Mark Bukovec
Mar 19, 2008 Mark Bukovec rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: literary fantasy and horror short fiction readers
I love this series. It's like picking up a magazine where every story is good, if not great. For me, the horror this year was superior to the fantasy. I think that horror short fiction is on an definite upward rise. However, a lot of contemporary fantasy is starting to wear on me, especially cutesy urban fantasy and slipstream. Literary fantasy has had a great run lately, but I'm starting to see a lot of derivative stuff that feels escapist and fanciful and leaves me feeling nothing at all.
Kelly
Jun 12, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
I've just finished this one, and like the others I've read from previous years, it contains some wonderful stories. "The Last to be Found" by Christopher Harman; "Lionflower Hedge" by Ira Sher; "Father Muerte and the Flesh" by Lee Battersby; "Dog Person" by Scott Nicholson; "Raphael" by Stephen Graham Jones; "Journey Into the Kingdom" by M. Rickert; and finally, "The Muldoon" by Glen Hirschberg, were the standouts in this volume.
Mike
Apr 02, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
now i know you cant expect every story to be awesome, but there were just a few to many average stories in here to merit a 5 star rating. there are many good ones in here. lets see, first kiss from the grave, yeah it is exactly what it sounds like, and still manages to be cool.
Bronwyn
Aug 03, 2011 Bronwyn rated it liked it
1-17 Just started on this anthology picked up at the library on a whim. 1/4 of the book was just "news" for the fantasy/horror genre, so I skipped it. The first story is interesting so far, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to love this like I love The Year's Best Sci-fi.
Kate
Apr 13, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
I appreciate the editors of these anthologies, as they never fall into the trap of summarizing or spoiling the stories in the introductions to the stories. This particular anthology, though, wasn't my cuppa tea. None of the stories stood out.
Jodee
Oct 14, 2008 Jodee rated it liked it
A mixed bag, as most of these awards anthologies are, but there are a handful of gems, esp. "Pol Pot's Beautiful Daugher" and "In the House of the Seven Librarians," which are moving stories in very different ways.
Wile
Jan 08, 2008 Wile rated it really liked it
I loved the Years Best series, as always. It highlights not only some of the best short fiction between its covers, the spotlight on the best novels, magazine, comic books, etc. is a spectacular must read list.
Dan
May 11, 2009 Dan rated it liked it
A good cross-section of short stories, both serious and humorous. There's a lot here, and it's easy to put it down and come back when you feel like more.
Spike Anderson
Jun 03, 2012 Spike Anderson rated it did not like it

I just can't get into these. Poor choices. I admit to not reading most of the stories but the first few just suck and I can't justify wasting my time
Meredith Martin
Nov 23, 2007 Meredith Martin rated it really liked it
I love this series, I pick up the new one every year. It's a great way to discover new authors and to see some of the short work of old favorites.
bluetyson
The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2007: 20th Annual Collection (Year's Best Fantasy and Horror) by Kelly Link (2007)
Angela Meadon
Just started reading it, most of the stories are very entertaining. One or two made me go"???".
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Got this for the YS Wilce story. Interesting to get a little of the Tiny Doom/Hardhands backstory.
Teona A
(recitita 24.06.2016- )
1. "Frumoasa fiica lui Pol Pot" Geoff Ryman 4/5
Laura Ruetz
Apr 13, 2012 Laura Ruetz rated it really liked it
the first story, Pol Pot's daughter is by far my favorite.
Kimberly
Dec 02, 2007 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
EEEEEEE new Margo Lanagan story I'll be in my bunk
Lord Humungus
May 05, 2010 Lord Humungus rated it liked it
disappointing, but def some gold
M Scott
Jun 14, 2015 M Scott rated it really liked it
does this work I wonder
Kevin Gallan
Sep 19, 2010 Kevin Gallan marked it as to-read
67/472
Jett
Jett marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Random
Random is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
DJ
DJ rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
  • Best New Horror (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Best Of)
  • The Ends Of The Earth: 14 Stories
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • Book of the Dead 2: Still Dead
  • Dracula in London
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...