Start by marking “About Behaviorism” as Want to Read:
About Behaviorism

About Behaviorism

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  501 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The basic book about the controversial philosophy known as behaviorism, written by its leading exponent. Bibliography, index.
Published February 12th 1976 by Vintage (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about About Behaviorism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Behaviorism

Corey
Jun 25, 2012 Corey rated it it was amazing
As a doctoral candidate in behavior analysis, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Skinner provides several gems throughout the text that I think I would have missed in my earlier days of studying radical behaviorism. In other words, Skinner often says a lot in a few words. My favorite aspect of this book is Skinner's list of myths and misconceptions about behaviorism which he addresses throughout his writing. Unfortunately, many of these myths and misconceptions are alive and well today. That being ...more
Glen
Nov 09, 2007 Glen rated it liked it
If I were to rate this book on how much I learned I would give it 5 stars. Unfortunately, reading dry behaviorist lingo led me to 3 star enjoyment. I will probably read Skinner again because the behaviorism theory is applicable to manipulating change in many aspects of life. Much more useful than reading Freud.
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jul 11, 2011 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it really liked it
found this book at DI for $1. knowing that i am fundamentally a behaviorist at heart, i picked this book up wondering if the source material matched my intuition and actual practice of behavior management that i use in school and on a lesser scale for myself. i found many examples of brilliance and parallel beliefs. for example, i love his rant on intuition vs. reason, explaining that you can certainly act on intuition without knowing the reasons why you are doing/rules that you are following. ( ...more
Riana
Feb 25, 2011 Riana rated it it was amazing
i read this book as part of a class on radical behaviorism. the class was excellently taught, and i can say it was one of two classes i have taken in my entire college time that changed the way i see the world.

the book is accessible, but also very dense - i am sure that if i had read it by myself, i would have missed out on much of the meaning and many implications.

i feel fortunate that i got to learn so much from reading this exceptional book.
Drew
Aug 30, 2009 Drew rated it it was ok
This guy knows how to ramble on and on...
Natasha
Jun 24, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it
This book definitely served an interesting perspective on things from the first chapter about the causes of behavior to the last. It was insightful and quite enjoyable. If you are looking for more insight on Behavior, this would be among the first books I would recommend to you.
Sehar  Moughal
Feb 15, 2016 Sehar Moughal rated it liked it
I respect Skinner and his work. He has done so much for the field of behaviorism. However, there were a few ideas in this book that I just could not stomach. Such as: God does not exist. I was very disappointed that my hero had shunned God. So I asked Google. Turns out, it may be a personal thing. I can live with that.

Anyway, this should not be your first choice of reading if you are very new to the field. Or know next to nothing about behaviourism. Not because of conflicting ideas (and you'll
Earth to Erving
May 10, 2014 Earth to Erving rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This book was amazing. It was medium grade as far as complexity and some of the concepts are repeated throughout thoroughly so that by the end of the book, you get them.
Jay Brand
Mar 25, 2016 Jay Brand rated it it was amazing
In my view, the most succinct, accessible yet comprehensive introduction to B. F. Skinner's psychology of behavior.
Jessica Merrill
Mar 15, 2016 Jessica Merrill rated it liked it
Shelves: for-school
Skinner has interesting takes on things like emotion, but ultimately, he's very repetitive and likes to attribute everything to "contingencies." It's borderline amusing how often he uses that word--just don't make a drinking game out of it.
Clare Tissiman connolly
Lots of interesting information but a bit wordy I could have got a higher star rating if it was easier to read but unfortunately it suffered for it.
Leegjiang
Apr 15, 2014 Leegjiang marked it as to-read
I like this book very much.
Carly
Mar 18, 2010 Carly rated it it was ok
This book was not really what I expected, and neither do i feel that I have a better understanding of behaviorism after reading it. I feel like this book was a response to criticisms of behaviorism, and spent a lot of time comparing behaviorism to other theories...but that I couldn't give a more detailed explanation of behaviorism (no more than what I had in my mind before I read this book.

Tiffany Wilbourn
Dec 12, 2012 Tiffany Wilbourn rated it really liked it
Sooo much better than Verbal Behavior and much more readable! A great read to learn more about behavior analysis. Whether you have a behavioristic view or not, Skinner had a brilliant mind and was very articulate.
Shane
Aug 12, 2015 Shane rated it it was amazing
Love Skinner, love behaviorism, love his writing style. Not as fun as Walden II, but this is a necessary book if you are interested in "inside the box" thinking. haha.
Cburke
Oct 23, 2013 Cburke added it
Much clearer than Beyond Freedom & Dignity. Would jump to this one, and just avoid the other all together.
Ricky
Jun 04, 2009 Ricky rated it really liked it
This is a great book for any Skinner fans, or anyone interested in the study of Human Behavior.
Michael Mcclanahan
May 24, 2013 Michael Mcclanahan rated it really liked it
Must read if ones wants to understand how the education system shapes its thinking.
Fabio
Apr 20, 2009 Fabio rated it it was amazing
A important book for any person who wishes to know the science of behavior
Karen
Feb 18, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
A great primer for those new to the field.
Jesse Bass
Jesse Bass rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Sabbir Zaman
Sabbir Zaman marked it as to-read
Katalin Eisenberg
Katalin Eisenberg marked it as to-read
Kieran
Kieran marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Loren
Loren marked it as to-read
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Antonija Avdalovic
Antonija Avdalovic marked it as to-read
Fabrício Renzi
Fabrício Renzi marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Cynosure342
Cynosure342 marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
  • The Psychology of the Child
  • Applied Behavior Analysis
  • How to Think Like a Behavior Analyst: Understanding the Science That Can Change Your Life
  • The Behavior Code: A Practical Guide to Understanding and Teaching the Most Challenging Students
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
  • The Principles of Psychology, Vol 1
  • Practical Intelligence: The Art and Science of Common Sense
  • Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Studies in Medical Anthropology)
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief
  • Conditioned Reflexes
  • Mirrors in the Brain: How Our Minds Share Actions and Emotions
  • Brainstorms: Philosophical Essays on Mind and Psychology
  • Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind
  • The Naked Brain: How the Emerging Neurosociety is Changing How We Live, Work, and Love
  • The Freud/Jung Letters
  • Touching the Rock: An Experience of Blindness
  • Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism: A Manual for Parents and Professionals
  • Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
Burrhus Frederic Skinner was a highly influential American psychologist, author, inventor, advocate for social reform and poet. He was the Edgar Pierce Professor of Psychology at Harvard University from 1958 until his retirement in 1974. He invented the operant conditioning chamber, innovated his own philosophy of science called Radical Behaviorism, and founded his own school of experimental resea ...more
More about B.F. Skinner...

“Compare two people, one of whom has been crippled by an accident, the other by an early environmental history which makes him lazy and, when criticized, mean. Both cause great inconvenience to others, but one dies a martyr, the other a scoundrel.” 0 likes