Start by marking “About Behaviorism” as Want to Read:
About Behaviorism

About Behaviorism

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The basic book about the controversial philosophy known as behaviorism, written by its leading exponent. Bibliography, index.
Published February 12th 1976 by Vintage (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about About Behaviorism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Behaviorism

Corey
As a doctoral candidate in behavior analysis, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Skinner provides several gems throughout the text that I think I would have missed in my earlier days of studying radical behaviorism. In other words, Skinner often says a lot in a few words. My favorite aspect of this book is Skinner's list of myths and misconceptions about behaviorism which he addresses throughout his writing. Unfortunately, many of these myths and misconceptions are alive and well today. That being ...more
Glen
If I were to rate this book on how much I learned I would give it 5 stars. Unfortunately, reading dry behaviorist lingo led me to 3 star enjoyment. I will probably read Skinner again because the behaviorism theory is applicable to manipulating change in many aspects of life. Much more useful than reading Freud.
Aleisha Z Coleman
found this book at DI for $1. knowing that i am fundamentally a behaviorist at heart, i picked this book up wondering if the source material matched my intuition and actual practice of behavior management that i use in school and on a lesser scale for myself. i found many examples of brilliance and parallel beliefs. for example, i love his rant on intuition vs. reason, explaining that you can certainly act on intuition without knowing the reasons why you are doing/rules that you are following. ( ...more
Riana
i read this book as part of a class on radical behaviorism. the class was excellently taught, and i can say it was one of two classes i have taken in my entire college time that changed the way i see the world.

the book is accessible, but also very dense - i am sure that if i had read it by myself, i would have missed out on much of the meaning and many implications.

i feel fortunate that i got to learn so much from reading this exceptional book.
Drew
This guy knows how to ramble on and on...
Earth to Erving
This book was amazing. It was medium grade as far as complexity and some of the concepts are repeated throughout thoroughly so that by the end of the book, you get them.
Clare Tissiman connolly
Lots of interesting information but a bit wordy I could have got a higher star rating if it was easier to read but unfortunately it suffered for it.
Leegjiang
Apr 15, 2014 Leegjiang marked it as to-read
I like this book very much.
Carly
This book was not really what I expected, and neither do i feel that I have a better understanding of behaviorism after reading it. I feel like this book was a response to criticisms of behaviorism, and spent a lot of time comparing behaviorism to other theories...but that I couldn't give a more detailed explanation of behaviorism (no more than what I had in my mind before I read this book.

Tiffany Wilbourn
Sooo much better than Verbal Behavior and much more readable! A great read to learn more about behavior analysis. Whether you have a behavioristic view or not, Skinner had a brilliant mind and was very articulate.
Cburke
Oct 23, 2013 Cburke added it
Much clearer than Beyond Freedom & Dignity. Would jump to this one, and just avoid the other all together.
Ricky
This is a great book for any Skinner fans, or anyone interested in the study of Human Behavior.
Michael Mcclanahan
Must read if ones wants to understand how the education system shapes its thinking.
Fabio
A important book for any person who wishes to know the science of behavior
Karen
A great primer for those new to the field.
Aohori
Aohori marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Shoghik
Shoghik marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Peter Joseph
Peter Joseph marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Nicole Dales
Nicole Dales is currently reading it
May 27, 2015
Mohammed
Mohammed marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Phat Tran
Phat Tran marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
K
K marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Jeremy Whittington
Jeremy Whittington marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
  • The Psychology of the Child
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
  • Applied Behavior Analysis
  • The Principles of Psychology, Volume 1
  • Conditioned Reflexes
  • Brainstorms: Philosophical Essays on Mind and Psychology
  • Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Studies in Medical Anthropology)
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • The Freud/Jung Letters
  • Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
  • Touching the Rock: An Experience of Blindness
  • The Naked Brain: How the Emerging Neurosociety is Changing How We Live, Work, and Love
  • Neurophilosophy: Toward a Unified Science of the Mind/Brain
  • Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind
  • The Neural Correlates of Religious and Nonreligious Belief
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
  • The Illusion of Conscious Will
Burrhus Frederic Skinner was a highly influential American psychologist, author, inventor, advocate for social reform and poet. He was the Edgar Pierce Professor of Psychology at Harvard University from 1958 until his retirement in 1974. He invented the operant conditioning chamber, innovated his own philosophy of science called Radical Behaviorism, and founded his own school of experimental resea ...more
More about B.F. Skinner...
Walden Two Beyond Freedom and Dignity Science and Human Behavior Verbal Behavior The Behavior of Organisms

“Compare two people, one of whom has been crippled by an accident, the other by an early environmental history which makes him lazy and, when criticized, mean. Both cause great inconvenience to others, but one dies a martyr, the other a scoundrel.” 0 likes