Start by marking “The Pagan Book of Days: A Guide to the Festivals, Traditions, and Sacred Days of the Year” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  15 reviews
• A daybook containing information about rituals and celebrations that have for centuries been associated with the changing seasons of the year.

• Includes charts of equinoxes and solstices, movable holy days, and monthly lunar phases through 2033

• First edition sold more than 30,000 copies

Pagan rites and festivals are at the root of many tradi
Published April 1st 2001 by Destiny Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Pagan Book of Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pagan Book of Days

Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonThe Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews by Scott CunninghamCunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourc... by Scott CunninghamBook of Shadows by Phyllis Curott
Wicca
29th out of 67 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin Zelnio
As a Celtic Reconstructionist, it is somewhat difficult to review Nigel Pennick’s Pagan Book of Days when it so clearly is not intended for someone on my spiritual path. Who it is intended for, however, is unclear. In his introduction, Pennick states that he is focusing on the Northern/Western traditions (which he extends as far as Serbia), but then also discusses the ancient Pagan Roman calendar year (which, though European, cannot be considered northern). Further, he occasionally references to ...more
Melissa Cuevas
Not really useful for what it wants to be useful as... which is supposedly a Pagan daybook.

Hooooowwwwweeeeevvvver... I find this book eternally and consistently useful for what it was never meant to be useful as, which is a treatise on how nonclock using populations labelled and gauged time. This has been invaluable with writing fantasy works, and I love this book for that reason.
Abbey
Useful little compendium of newsy tidbits and historical/mythological/philosophical info. Line drawings, no pix, but somthing interesting about almost every day in the year.
Audrey
A bit esoteric, and I'm not hip to all this neo-paganism. I was hoping to learn about the origin of some holidays, but this doesn't have much history. Bother.
Meg
A really great reference for the significance in so many cultures, traditions, and mythologies pertaining to the seasons, months, days of the week, and hours of the day. A rally easy read!
Amethyst
This book is a must for most Pagans. My copy of it is rather dated, 20th century, but oh well. Once you know what festival or date you are looking for, you can find it online nowadays. But this book is an excellent resource for calendar dates, researching gods' & goddesses' sacred days, and other lore. Trusted author too.
Jessie
As a pagan daybook, this is actually pretty useless. I've removed it from my daily reading. It has Celtic, Roman, Greek, Egyptian, and Christian festivals, not even one for every day. BUT, the Introduction has some great reference material for integrating pagan holidays and observances with calendars in general.
Irene
Agree with others in not finding this book useful for its intended purpose. However, I've had this book for many years and I still enjoying checking each day for a but of trivia and history.
Alexis
I found all the "days" rather interesting- I have used it many time for further research and often read it at the beginning of a new month- definitely a must have on the magical bookshelf!
Dioscita
I wish I remembered to pull this out more often. I mean, what if I'm missing the perfect opportunity for ... something ... just because I haven't paid attention to what day it is?
Jo Miller-frost
Nov 26, 2007 Jo Miller-frost rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pagans
I like this book, althoughthere are many pagan books of days, b/c it doesn't offer as much pandering crap as most of them do. What a relief.
Megan
Not really a sit down & read cover to cover book. Interesting to pick up & skim through every once in awhile.
Shea
Shea marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Imsobrooklyn Ainti
Imsobrooklyn Ainti marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Sami
Sami marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Creola
Creola marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Rina Smrkovski
Rina Smrkovski marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Eric Anderson
Eric Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • Natural Magic
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
Nigel Campbell Pennick, born 1946 in Guildford, Surrey, England in the United Kingdom, an author publishing on occultism, magic, natural magic, divination, subterranea, rural folk customs, traditional performance and Celtic art as well as runosophy.
He is a writer on marine species as well as an occultist and geomancer, artist and illustrator, stained-glass designer and maker, musician and mummer.
More about Nigel Pennick...
Magical Alphabets: The Secrets and Significance of Ancient Scripts - Including Runes, Greek, Hebrew and Alchemical Alphabets Complete Illustrated Guide - Runes: How to Interpret the Ancient System of the Runes Practical Magic in the Northern Tradition Celtic Sacred Landscapes Secrets of the Runes