Start by marking “Little Bear's Visit” as Want to Read:
Little Bear's Visit

Little Bear's Visit (Little Bear #4)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  5,467 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Little Bear's grandparents

Little Bear likes to visit Grandmother and Grandfather Bear. He likes Grandfather's hat and Grandmother's cooking. But most of all, he loves to listen to their stories!
Published December 19th 1979 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Little Bear's Visit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bear's Visit

Saskia Wong-Smith
This book is the first book I ever read and finished. Little Bear's Visit is a wonderful story about a bear visiting his grandparents. Little Bear uses his curiosity to learn about all of his grandparents old artifacts. Little Bears is told a story from is Grandmother, a wonderful story about adventure and care for others. This book is a wonderful simple read and is perfect for a stroll down memory lane.
Alexandria Dudding
This is a great starter for children who are beginning to read chapter books. It is about a Little Bear visiting his grandparents. When his grandfather falls asleep after a day of fun, Little Bear sits with his grandmother to hear a story about his mother. When his grandfather awakes, he tells Little Bear a story as well. Then Little Bear falls asleep while waiting for his parents to come. This story is cute, simple, and a easy read for children transitioning to chapter books. The illustrations ...more
Madison Godfrey
This book is about a young boy named little Bear. He visits his grandmother and grandfather house for their cooking. This is a series about little bears adventures. This is a good book to have in a classroom because there are a lot of them and children can relate to them, these are good for practicing reading. I absolutely loved the Little Bear books when I was growing up. There was something about Little Bear that was very homely and nurturing. I think because most of the books are about him fi ...more
Angie
Synopsis: "Little Bear likes to visit Grandmother and Grandfather Bear. He likes Grandfather's hat and Grandmother's cooking. But most of all, he loves to listen to their stories."

My Review: Okay so I know I said the last book was the best in the series but I need to amend that and say this was the best in the series. I loved that Grandmother Bear and Grandfather Bear played along with Little Bear and made everything fun during his visit. As it should be when visiting grandparents. I think Munch
Rosa Cline
I think this is my favorite Little Bear book! It's mostly about him and his Grandmother and Grandfather Bear. Playing and interacting with them and Grandmother tells Little Bear a story of when Mother Bear was young. Very sweet book!
Crista
1962 Caldecott Honor Book
This is a Caldecott winning book that is formatted as a chapter book. Here the illustrator uses what looks like pencil drawings that he then highlights certain parts with colored pencils. The size of the illustration varies from a single image to a detailed two page spread that encompasses three quarters of the space. He brings continuity to the illustrations by adding a subtle, yet decorative, border around each page. The outlines in the gutter get lost, but with the de
Jen Kahl
This is a wonderful starter for children who are beginning to read chapter books. A Caldecott Honor Book, it is about a Little Bear visiting his grandparents. When his grandfather falls asleep after a day of fun, Little Bear sits with his grandmother to hear a story about his mother (which is the next chapter, and it's a nice story). When his grandfather awakes, he tells Little Bear a story as well (the next chapter). Then Little Bear falls asleep while waiting for his parents to come. This stor ...more
Mitchell
An okay children's book if a bit simpler then I like. But I expect more from a Caldecott Honor book. Definitely not something I'd want to read over and over again. With ok art.
Stacy
Very cute book! I don't think anyone could go wrong with Little Bear books! This is about spending a day with grandparents.
Dana
I LOVED this book as a child & enjoyed sharing it with my own daughter when she was younger.
Logan
My son has a very close relationship with this grandparents and I think he loved seeing that same kind of love between Little Bear and his grandparents. As with the first Little Bear book, I find the adult bears really funny and I love Minarik's realistic dialog. Because my son was only 3 when we first read this, and easily scared, I had to be careful how I read the story that Little Bear's grandfather tells him. But after he heard it several times and knew that everything was going to work out ...more
Becky B
Little Bear was my absolute favorite beginner reader series when I was little.
Lisa
Among my top 10 favorites as a child!
Kathleen
It is a very good book. ~A age 5
Allison P
Favorite of the Little Bear stories.
Luis
Arrrrrr!!!! Nooooooo6))))))
Snorkle
I enjoyed reading this book, I liked the interaction between little bear and grandfather and grandmother bear, it made me smile, because they did all the sorts of things that grandparents do. The pictures for this book were really quite sweet, even if it does strike you a little odd that the bears are dressed up in old-fashioned clothes and wearing spectacles. I'd recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Valerie Midkiff
Little Bear visits his grandparents and has a cute visit with them. Good story on how to relate to grandparents.
Emkoshka
Another heartwarming Little Bear book, this one exploring the bond between him and his grandparents. Very sweet and evocative of the best childhood a child could have, surrounded by loving family.
Michelle
Illustrated by Maurice Sendak. This is an "I Can Read book" and is a Caldecott Honor book. According to the inside cover, this book has "more challenging chapters for the fully independent reader." I feel this book should be catergorized as a level three book. Most line lengths are 6 words and most pages only have 6 lines per page with the occasional page with 10-14 lines. It is a cute story that will keep readers entertained.
Jane
A perfect book to share with a 5-going-on-6 year old. The dedication reads "To all Grandparents and all Grandchildren." but even parents might enjoy this one. One story is titled "Mother Bear's Robin." I told Brenna that the Robin reminded me of her Daddy, and the Robin's child reminded me of her. "Read the next story," Brenna replied. See, we both enjoyed this one! The illustrations by Maurice Sendak are great, too.
Luann
What a sweet little story about Little Bear's visit to his grandparents. I especially liked the story his grandfather told him about the goblin. I'm not sure why this book won a Caldecott Honor, though. Maybe I'm just so used to Sendak's illustrations that I don't see anything extraordinary in them. One interesting thing is that the grandparents (who are also bears) are wearing clothes, while Little Bear isn't.
Kaylan Nurse
This book definitely focused solely on family and Little bear interacting with his grandmother and grandfather. I think that children that have close relationships with their grandparents would be drawn to this story as well. A moral lesson about the importance of family could be taught for this book. There is no set subject area I would choose for this book.
Kathy
Pictures by Maurice Sendak. Little Bear visits his grandparents, his grandpa plays with him and Grandmother tells him the story of Mother Bear's Robin and Grandfather tells him the story of the Goblin who got scared and jumped out of his shoes. Several other Little Bear books available. For Beginning readers, the "I can read books" Harper Collins.
Kristin Hamley
The original Little Bear book is still my favorite, but I love the way this one celebrates storytelling and Little Bear's relationship with his grandparents. I also love the way it doesn't shy away from complex emotions, like when the robin in one story says, "My heart is sad" before he is set free.
Deborah Harris
Jan 01, 2014 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a34, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 7326 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Acton
I think this book was really good because it is funny like all the other Little Bear stories. The funniest chapter was called "The Goblin's Story" about a goblin who is scared of his own shoes. This book does not have very good conclusion, Little Bear just goes to sleep. I still liked it though.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 7326 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Paul
What a great early reader with Sendak's illustrations and Minarik's four chapters of narrative. The telling of stories to Little Bear and the underlying tiredness that he and his grandparents feel from his visit makes for a very creative structure and amusing experiences along the way.
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night
  • In the Forest
  • Fly High, Fly Low (50th Anniversary ed.)
  • Mouse Tales
  • The Boy of the Three-Year Nap
  • Hondo & Fabian
  • The Faithful Friend
  • Mice Twice
Else Holmelund Minarik is the author of the Little Bear series of children's books, which were successful as books, and were also made into a successful children's TV series. The Little Bear books sold more than 6 million copies worldwide.

Else Minarik was also the author of another well-known book, No Fighting, No Biting!

She was born in Denmark, and with her family immigrated to the United States
More about Else Holmelund Minarik...
Little Bear Little Bear's Friend A Kiss for Little Bear Father Bear Comes Home Little Bear Treasury: Little Bear/ Little Bear's Friend/ Little Bear's Visit