Start by marking “Little Bear's Visit” as Want to Read:
Little Bear's Visit

Little Bear's Visit (Little Bear #4)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,668 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Little Bear's grandparents

Little Bear likes to visit Grandmother and Grandfather Bear. He likes Grandfather's hat and Grandmother's cooking. But most of all, he loves to listen to their stories!
Published December 19th 1979 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Little Bear's Visit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bear's Visit

Saskia Wong-Smith
This book is the first book I ever read and finished. Little Bear's Visit is a wonderful story about a bear visiting his grandparents. Little Bear uses his curiosity to learn about all of his grandparents old artifacts. Little Bears is told a story from is Grandmother, a wonderful story about adventure and care for others. This book is a wonderful simple read and is perfect for a stroll down memory lane.
Laura Verret
Remember Little Bear’s Friend? Here’s another set of stories about the same character!

In this book, Little Bear goes to visit his grandparents at their home. Together they work in the garden, eat cake and cookies, and have all the fun they can think of. In the end, after having a splendid day of story-telling and frolicking, Little Bear’s parents come to take him home.

As with Little Bear’s Friend, Little Bear and co. wear clothes, live in houses, and act mostly like people. In this story Little
Madison Godfrey
Apr 30, 2014 Madison Godfrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young boy named little Bear. He visits his grandmother and grandfather house for their cooking. This is a series about little bears adventures. This is a good book to have in a classroom because there are a lot of them and children can relate to them, these are good for practicing reading. I absolutely loved the Little Bear books when I was growing up. There was something about Little Bear that was very homely and nurturing. I think because most of the books are about him fi ...more
Elijah Libert
Mar 09, 2015 Elijah Libert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.
Douglas Cootey
Aug 11, 2015 Douglas Cootey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This volume in the Little Bear series is perhaps the most dear, the most nostalgic, and the most dull. By this I mean it wasn't nearly as creative for me as the other volumes. It was full of charm, but not as clever. However, that's only comparitively. It is still an excellent book and a favorite of mine.

The first story was filled with traditional grandparent-style behavior with Grandfather Bear being the comic relief. The second story about Little Bear's mother and her bird was sweet, but a bi
Ashley Steele
This book is about a bear named "little bear" and he goes to spend the day with his grandparents. He got to look around the house and explore. He was excited to spend time with his grandfather but after being awake for a while, grandfather feel asleep. Little bear didnt want to wake grandfather so, he went outside to visit with his grandmother. She told him a story about a bird that turned out to be one her life long friends. Grandfather woke up after the story, then he told Little bear a silly ...more
Drew Graham
Feb 17, 2016 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Little Bear loves visiting his grandparents. He enjoys Grandmother Bear's cooking and looks forward to Grandfather Bear's antics and stories, but he never tires out even after a long and interesting visit.

I've known and enjoyed Little Bear since I was a tot, and it's nice that The Boy (2.5) is quite taken with his stories -- maybe a little bit too taken with them, based on requests for rapidly repeated readings. There are some kind of odd things about this world that Little Bear inhabits (why do
Jenny
A lovely story of Little Bear and his visit with Grandmother and Grandfather. I remember reading the Little Bear books with my own grandma as a little girl, and as 3/4 of my grandparents have now passed away in the past few years, this felt especially touching to me. I have so many fond memories of visits with my grandparents, activities I did with them, and the love we shared. Both the illustrations and story are wonderful.
Angie
Aug 14, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: "Little Bear likes to visit Grandmother and Grandfather Bear. He likes Grandfather's hat and Grandmother's cooking. But most of all, he loves to listen to their stories."

My Review: Okay so I know I said the last book was the best in the series but I need to amend that and say this was the best in the series. I loved that Grandmother Bear and Grandfather Bear played along with Little Bear and made everything fun during his visit. As it should be when visiting grandparents. I think Munch
Rosa Cline
Feb 17, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, bedtime
I think this is my favorite Little Bear book! It's mostly about him and his Grandmother and Grandfather Bear. Playing and interacting with them and Grandmother tells Little Bear a story of when Mother Bear was young. Very sweet book!
Crista
Jan 26, 2011 Crista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caldecott-award
1962 Caldecott Honor Book
This is a Caldecott winning book that is formatted as a chapter book. Here the illustrator uses what looks like pencil drawings that he then highlights certain parts with colored pencils. The size of the illustration varies from a single image to a detailed two page spread that encompasses three quarters of the space. He brings continuity to the illustrations by adding a subtle, yet decorative, border around each page. The outlines in the gutter get lost, but with the de
Jen Kahl
Jun 28, 2013 Jen Kahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful starter for children who are beginning to read chapter books. A Caldecott Honor Book, it is about a Little Bear visiting his grandparents. When his grandfather falls asleep after a day of fun, Little Bear sits with his grandmother to hear a story about his mother (which is the next chapter, and it's a nice story). When his grandfather awakes, he tells Little Bear a story as well (the next chapter). Then Little Bear falls asleep while waiting for his parents to come. This stor ...more
Mitchell
An okay children's book if a bit simpler then I like. But I expect more from a Caldecott Honor book. Definitely not something I'd want to read over and over again. With ok art.
Gary
Jun 13, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The little bear stories are so innocent in their curiosity. The illustrations are warm and welcoming despite their minimal color and cross hatch technique.
Brittany Korell
I liked it because of the interaction between Little Bear and his grandparents. It's important in life to have those connections before they are gone forever.
Cheryl Hager
I received this book as a birthday present in 1976 (and still have it)--I was 8 yo. I had forgotten what a wonderful book this was.
Robert
**** Caldecott Honor (1962) ****

The illustrations by Maurice Sendak are quite pleasant.
Courtney Bird
Sep 09, 2015 Courtney Bird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd
These are such classics! I used to watch the show constantly and named my doll emily because of the little girl.
Laura Hoyler
Loved this series as a child, and my youngest son really enjoyed also. Very simple and sweet.
Megan
Apr 30, 2016 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caldecott
I got a little bored with this book. It is probably meant for younger elementary grades.
Dana
Mar 16, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book as a child & enjoyed sharing it with my own daughter when she was younger.
Logan
My son has a very close relationship with this grandparents and I think he loved seeing that same kind of love between Little Bear and his grandparents. As with the first Little Bear book, I find the adult bears really funny and I love Minarik's realistic dialog. Because my son was only 3 when we first read this, and easily scared, I had to be careful how I read the story that Little Bear's grandfather tells him. But after he heard it several times and knew that everything was going to work out ...more
Danni Green
Jul 18, 2016 Danni Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as lovely as when my grandparents used to read it to me as a child. :-)
Becky B
Little Bear was my absolute favorite beginner reader series when I was little.
Margaret Chind
Jan 26, 2015 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press First Grade StoryTime Treasures
This was quaint and the perfect challenge for my budding reader. She became so excited with the completion of reading each chapter and the book as a whole.

"This book is about Little Bear. Little's Bears Grandmother and Grandfather come to visit. Little Bear enjoys his visit, because he likes his grandmother and grandfather. They play together, tell stories to each other, and take walks with each other." - AppleBlossom, Age 5

Correction to her narration, Little Bear actually goes to visit them,
Lisa
Jun 29, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Among my top 10 favorites as a child!
Kathleen
May 06, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
It is a very good book. ~A age 5
Kaye Booth
My favorite book as a child.
Allison P
Aug 12, 2014 Allison P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite of the Little Bear stories.
Luis
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
  • Fly High, Fly Low
  • A Pocketful of Cricket
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
Else Holmelund Minarik was the author of the Little Bear series of children's books, which were successful as books, and were also made into a successful children's TV series. The Little Bear books sold more than 6 million copies worldwide.

Else Minarik was also the author of another well-known book, No Fighting, No Biting!

She was born in Denmark, and with her family immigrated to the United States
More about Else Holmelund Minarik...

Little Bear (5 books)