Start by marking “Jenny Finn” as Want to Read:
Jenny Finn

Mike Mignola

Jenny Finn

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Finally collected in one volume for the first time! From the mind of Mike Mignola, creator of HELLBOY, comes this Lovecraftian tale of a mysterious girl who arrives in Victorian England with carnage in her wake. Is she evil incarnate or a misled child?
Paperback
Published by Boom Studios (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jenny Finn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jenny Finn

Forrest
This is definitely not up to par with Mignola's best work. Though Jenny Finn exhibits the usual fascination with Victoriana and lovecraftian strangeness (I can relate), and the illustration is excellent, the story feels rushed and shallow. The characters could have been much deeper - there was ample opportunity to slip in bits of dialogue that would have contributed to the backstory - and the wry social commentary on which the story ends should have had more of a buildup in the beginning. I susp ...more
Orrin Grey
As you probably know, and will learn quickly if you don't, I'll read anything that Mike Mignola had a hand in, and I've enjoyed the work that he's done with Troy Nixey in the past. That said, this wasn't a favorite for me.

Victorian-era fish people, spiritualism, pseudo-science, and weird Lovecraftian plots ought to have been a no-brainer, but for some reason none of it gels as well as Mignola's work usually does for me. I'd recommend that all the steampunk/weird fiction/Victoriana aficionados I
Lukas Holmes
What a tremendous book! I love when Gothic horror really nails the genre. Part of our reason for being so afraid is that it's so dark and confusing we're lost with no understanding of direction in these type of stories. We aren't sure of character motivations or typical story arc dynamics. One thing I really loved, though I am unclear if it was on purpose, is that we don't really see Joe in clear focus until almost the end when he is finally given a direct purpose. From there out we see his clea ...more
Mike Jozic
I remember way back when the series first debuted from Oni press, I wrote a negative review of the first issue; the only one out at that time. I then got a bit of a surprise from the artist/co-creator, Troy Nixey, when he came up to me in San Diego in 2000 and said, "So, you didn't like Jenny Finn #1, eh?"

And it's true, for the most part I didn't like the first issue. There were too many things left hanging, the dialogue led the reader nowhere as far as moving the plot along and, although the ar
Park Ridge Library
This Lovecraftian graphic novel begins in Victorian England when clients of prostitutes are turning up with gruesome lesions from which emerge tentacles, barnacles and fins. The victims are tended by Jenny Finn, a gentle-but-dour character resembling Emily Dickinson. Suddenly, a woman is found dead, and the seaside town turns out to find the murderer. Enter Joseph, besotted with Jenny, who promptly sets the mob on the wrong man. Meanwhile, the prime minister, an odd fellow who wears a diving sui ...more
Kristopher Kelly
A friend suggested I read this after reading some of my stories, and I can see why. The character designs are wonderfully weird, from the Prime Minister to the guy who never puts his feet on the ground to the medium with the creepy mask--not to mention Jenny herself and the excellent scene where she is found in the giant mass of fish-guts--there is some real imagination here.

The story feels rushed. I wish they had more time to explore, but even as short as this book is, it was rich enough in fu
Adam Luptak
Didn't love this one. A lot of promise here - a weird plague on the streets of London, ghosts and ancient creatures from the deep... But the art was only okay - the amount of detail (which I would like to love) became cluttered and confusing without color. The story felt very glossed over, leaving me wanting to know more about the origins and motivations of the characters.
Heather
This was an interesting read, but it would've been more compelling if Mignola had delved further into the mythology of Jenny Finn. As it stands, the story feels incomplete because he only skims the surface of what Jenny truly is and what she represents. On the positive side, Mignola's illustration is superb and easily makes up for what is lacking in the story.
Thomas
This story is pretty weak, despite obvious draws such as Chuthuloid monsters, fishy harbringers of doom, elements of steampunk and a Jack the Ripper-type killer. Nixey's b/w art is suitably twisted and dark. But it never really takes off, though, and the final chapter is not even drawn by Nixey. A small plus for the gallery of Nixey pinups, but overall not much here.
Kathryn
This graphic novel is weird.

I mean weird.

I mean this is the weirdest thing I've read in a long while.

Basically, it has a young girl, a city of deformed people, weird tentacle monsters and fish lying around that say "doom" constantly.

I cannot sum up into words how weird it is. You just have to read it. And I mean it. You have to read it.

Doom...
Jon
This is probably the worst example of his work. The story seemed like it too shallow and was missing quite a bit. Also, I found the artwork only passable with the inking being rather thin and vague. I would have liked to see something with a bolder line and better definition for not being colored.
Jenny Finn is nicely creepy, steam-punky, and mysterious. Mignola has a very interesting concept here, but the ending felt abrupt and well, odd. The book didn't go where I was expecting it to, but not necessarily in a good way. Maybe there will be more volumes that make more sense.
Marc
Jul 27, 2010 Marc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Everyone is calling this a Mike Mignola book - but dude - it's a Troy Nixey book!!!! with some words by Mike. The drawing is weird, wiggly and full of fun brushwork! I'm a big fan of Troy's - I wish he'd do more of this stuff - the guy can really draw.
Michael
This story sports a seriously creepy David Cronenberg meets H.P. Lovecraft vibe. The illustrations of people's bodies sprouting all kinds of tentacles and fish parts is very unsettling to me- I can hardly stand to look at them. Well done, I say!
stephanie
I wish there had been more elaboration on the back-story of jenny finn. also, I was extremely bummed when I realised that mignola didn't do any of the art (except for the covers). but it was creepy and weird and I like octopi. so. yay!
Matt
What a great comic to finish on Halloween. Nixey's art is provocative and muddy and distorted in all the right ways, and those creepy, CREEPY fish people...man. The story's a bit odd and disjointed, but the art more than makes up for it.
Peter
Just a little thing to start, the lettering was tiny, headache inducingly tiny.

A fun little story. I can imagine that it was influenced by the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, amongst other older things.
Krystl Louwagie
Strange little tale, wonderful art. Intriguing characters, was an interesting story, but I felt a little let down by the ending-I wanted more details, I think. Still, enjoyable.
Adam
Gorgeous and spooky! Would have given it a 5 if the ending didn't feel somewhat rushed. But truly made me wonder and slowly ponder the beautiful illustrations.
Erin Newton
great artwork. The story line is kind of a cross between Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and From Hell. Didn't care for the story much.
Brian Engelhardt
The incomparable Mike Mignola along with the artistic talents of Troy Nixey. Lovecraftian creepiness at its finest.
Julie
RAted it higher bc I'm partial to fishy illustrations and stories. Agree with others about more backstory for Jenny.
Melissa
Poor whores. They're always getting cut up in Victorian horror stories... like this one! Very tentacly.
Xisix
Entertainin romp by mistah 'Hellboy' originator. Tentacles and spiritualism ahoy !
Rachael
It was a good quick read. I just wished it were a little bit longer. It felt rushed.
Krissy
Interesting story and art, but not my favourite Mike Mignola work.
Jenna M
really enjoyed the detailed art work and tentacle beards, mystery
Morbus Iff
Same old, same old; Mignola is "eh" to me.
Niklos-Lee
This graphic novel is beyond pointless.
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Volume One
  • The Damned, Vol. 1: Three Days Dead
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 4: Operation Blackwall
  • Okko: The Cycle of Water (Okko, #1)
  • The Dark Horse Book of Monsters (The Dark Horse Book of..., #4)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Boneyard, Volume 1: In Full Color
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works
  • Clubbing
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)