Start by marking “Wishing Moon” as Want to Read:
Wishing Moon

Wishing Moon

Aminah is an orphan living on the streets of Al-Kal'as. When she appeals to the princess for help, the black-hearted wife of Aladdin throws an old lamp at her head. The lamp holds an obstreperous jinni who informs Aminah that she can make three wishes after each full moon. With the jinni's magic, Aminah regains security and comfort, and she even assembles a makeshift famil ...more
Published June 3rd 2004 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Wishing Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishing Moon

Nickie
Sep 27, 2012 Nickie rated it really liked it
'Wishing Moon' is a happily-never-after retelling of 'Aladdin', which stuck out to me for a couple of reasons. First, I liked the idea of redrawing some of the characters from the story. Second, while I love fairy tale retelling, some of them have been run ragged. How many Cinderella retellings are sitting at the library? Dozens, I'm sure. So this one seemed to promise something fresh and a little different.

In 'Wishing Moon', a poor orphan, Aminah, is out of money and out of options. Her father
Mima
5 things I wish I had known before starting Wishes on the moon:
~ This book is actually a duology. Wishing Moon and Moon With Magic are the two titles.
~ It’s not really a retelling of Aladdin, but more of a sequel. A continuation of the original story, if you like. I was hoping to find the Princess Jasmine in here, but was disappointed. Perhaps I should hunt down a copy of the original tale?
~ The characters were cardboard cutouts. The detail given about the characters seemed to be there just to
Eskana
Mar 06, 2013 Eskana rated it liked it
Not really a re-telling, but a story of what comes after the tale of Aladdin... Amina is an orphan, living off the streets, and unfortunately starving as well. When she decides to beg from the princess in the palace where her father worked, the haughty royal throws her husband's prized "piece of junk" at her... not knowing that it is a lamp containing a genie. Amina soon discovers her good fortune, but has to learn how to cope with the genie's tricky nature while avoiding the princess's desperat ...more
SHNARK
Feb 22, 2014 SHNARK rated it really liked it
In the book "Wishing Moon" the author does a good job creating a diverse and fresh plot. the plot has many elements of suspense that will have the reader on the edge of there seat. some suspense build up a the book goes, and other times it just pops up randomly. I feel as the authors purpose has been fully achieved. the author described the various elements of plot so well, that when you read the book, it feel like you're watching a movie in your head. the introduction is not over done with full ...more
Vivian
Sep 27, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, children-s
In this thoroughly delightful tale, the beggar girl, Aminah, acquires the very lamp (and jinni) that changed the life of the fabled Aladdin. This story takes many surprising twists and turns. All the while the reader may entertain thoughts of what he or she would do should they find such a lamp. Are Aminah's actions and choices believable, realistic, predictable? The reader decides for him or herself.

There were a few editorial "woops!" such as a word appearing twice in a sentence -- the first (
Amy
Mar 27, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
This book was fun and fluffy. I enjoyed the idea of what happens after Aladdin and the lamp, a backstory for how the jinni came to be who he is, etc. I think that the idea of the story deserves much more though - for example, some of the relationships need more explanation (especially Aladdin and the Princess), and the resolution to the chief problem (i.e., the villain who is trying to track down the lamp) is just too easy and too sudden. There should have been more suspense, more impending doom ...more
Jenny
Jan 02, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Aminah is a beggar girl barely surviving each day when a brass lamp is thrown at her head for her impertinence. The lamp - the legendary lamp from the tales of Aladdin - turns out to contain a Jinni. With each new moon comes the opportunity to have 3 wishes. And while her life changes dramatically in the first few moons, it is others lives that change as she realizes the power she has to help others. But with the princess hot on her heels and the scary after-effects of 'doing good', how long can ...more
Amy Liu
This book was very interesting and it's a good book. It is about this girl Aminah, she is an orpahn. Her parents died, poor Aminah now lives on the street with her friends as beggars. She then recieves a lamp from Princess Badr. The lamp turned out to be magival, it contained a Jinni inside. Aminah can make three wishes on every full moon.
Everything is going great for Aminah, but she doesnt have full happiness because she cannot help the others. And meanwhile, the princess finds out about the l
Lindi
Did you ever wonder what happened after Aladdin was through with the lamp? Here's how Michael O. Tunnell envisions it. (He's my new favorite author -- Candy Bomber, Mailing May and now I discover that he wrote this book which I read this several years ago and remember so fondly.) I noticed it today looking for stories about generosity (which this suits beautifully) and think I'm going to have to re-read it this weekend.

Later: I did and it is just as charming as the first time. Check it out: Girl
Heather
May 13, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
A retelling of the Aladdin story-or what happens after Aladdin. Cute. The writing was at times disjointed, but the plot was interesting enough to make the book still worth reading.

Aminah is an orphan living on the streets. She appeals to the Princess Badr for work, and in her anger, Badr throws the unsightly lamp (Aladdin's) out the window straight into Aminah's lap. Aminah makes friends with the jinni, finds friends, and a place for herself in the city, and looks for ways to make the world a be
Shae
Mar 02, 2016 Shae rated it liked it
This is the story of Aminah who procures Aladdin's magic lamp when it's mistakenly thrown at her for begging at the palace. This story started slowly for me and I found the characters a little flat, but was pleasantly surprised when the second half of the story saw some growth in the characters and touched on some interesting themes of wealth and the moral use of power (aka a genie's wish granting abilities.) The School Library Journal recommends this for grades 5-9 and I agree as there are ligh ...more
Emily Bates
May 08, 2013 Emily Bates rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
A clever and engaging tale of Aladdin's lamp post-Aladdin. Aminah is a strong main character whose flaws make her believable and whose attempts to overcome those flaws make her lovable. The princess is wonderfully deplorable (this is not Disney's Aladdin), and the Jinni is a delightful conundrum. My one complaint is the love triangle conflict: I am so absurdly fed up with those. But in all other aspects, "Wishing Moon" both entertains and inspires with its stories of how just one act can change ...more
Tessa
Apr 21, 2009 Tessa rated it liked it
This is a middle grade novel/fantasy. It’s set in the Middle East long ago and far away. Aladdin’s famous lamp falls into the hands of an orphan girl who learns how to use it to bless others. Charming story. Not flawless but very readable. And the author’s a local guy, which I thought was cool. I enjoyed looking at how the author used the setting—foreign but not too much so. Magic and fantasy but still relatable. The main character is strong but not too perfect.
Jenny
Mar 24, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy
Aminah is a street beggar who was the daugher of a scholar of the sultan. She goes to beg from the Princess Badr, wife of Aladdin. Instead of compassion, Aminah is given a worthless lamp when Princes Badr throws it at her. Now Aminah has a magic jinni to grant her three wishes a month. Instead of only wishing for herself, Aminah's kind heart lets her help others. Along the way she finds friends and family. Now if she can only escape the revenge of Prncess Badr . . .
Heather
Mar 08, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this continuation of the Aladdin's lamp story very much (though I think that Tunnell's best writing came at the beginning of the book). When Jinni did some very Jinni-like thing in the middle of a chess game, I smiled and knew that this was a keeper. The very last part of the ending was a little weird- kind of like drinking a glass of orange juice after finishing dessert. But this book ranks up pretty high on my list of YA fantasy reads.
Katri
Sep 25, 2007 Katri rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a quick read (juvenile fiction). It is a story about what happens after Aladin gets the lamp and marries the princess. (The princess in this story is nothing like the Disney one.) It is a great read and well thought out. It doesn't have the holes in logic in it that many fairy-tales do. A great book!
Ruth Hyland
Aug 30, 2016 Ruth Hyland rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A fun light read. Perfect for any audience especially young teen girls. Maybe I loved it so much because the writing was so much better than the selection series. Think a female Aladdin but instead of trying to get the girl learns how to use her wishes to benefit those suffering around her and finds a family and love along the way.
Jessica
Jul 07, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Again, here is another cute tail that I love to read. This is the story of what happens to Aladdin's lamp after Aladdin moves into the palace. Jasmin (who isn't as sweet as the Disney version) throws the lamp unknowingly to a beggar girl. I really enjoyed the main characters growth and what she chooses to do with her wishes in the end. Its a fun fairytale read.
Sarah Campbell
Nov 25, 2014 Sarah Campbell rated it really liked it
This was a really good book! I liked the story line, and especially the ending. I liked it because when you thought something was going to happen, something else happened. This book was very clean, and had really good description. The only thing that I didn't like was that my copy of the book had LOTS of typos!!! In all, this was a great book!
Janet
Apr 05, 2007 Janet rated it liked it
What happens to Aladdin's Lamp after Aladdin loses it? This is the story of the beggar girl whose life is transformed. The author is a big fan of Lloyd Alexander, and it shows here with a similar style. Characters aren't very complex and the moral issues are a bit heavy handed, but there is plenty of humor and a fun adventure.
Ji Mei
Feb 11, 2012 Ji Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
This book was really good! I liked the new version of Aladdin's story and the possibility of what could happen after he became a prince. The characters are all interesting and mysterious, especially the jinni. There was surprises in the plot that kept the story going and I can't wait for the next book.
Meagan
Jan 08, 2012 Meagan rated it it was amazing
This book was written by my children's lit professor, which is cool. It's actually why I read it in the first place. I really enjoyed it though, and would definitely recommend it. I had to read the sequel immediately. :)
Kate McCartney
Jan 26, 2008 Kate McCartney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-fiction
Aladdin's is found by a poor beggar girl who with jinni's help gets riches and comfort from life. She also uses the jinni to help others.

This is a very good book, if you like the adventures of Aladdin pick this up.
A.
Nov 15, 2011 A. rated it really liked it
It was very satisfying to read this book, as it cleared up a lot of things from the second book that I didn't fully understand or appreciate. I like the character of Aminah, and I like the portrayal of the genie. Although I do feel bad for Aladdin.
Ms.Scholl
Jun 11, 2014 Ms.Scholl rated it really liked it
This is a great take on the Aladdin tale with lots of adventure and a nice magical twist. The scrawny beggar girl from the street will win your heart and make you want to root for the good guys in this first book featuring Aladdins lamp and jinni.
Annelisa
Mar 18, 2008 Annelisa rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at the library because it was written by my Children's Lit professor at BYU. I thought I would give it a try. I really enjoyed it! It is light reading and a fun story. I like the very ending of the story!
Valerie L
Apr 05, 2011 Valerie L rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 0
Shelves: young-adult
I almost gave up on this book - mostly skimmed the last 1/4. It had a good start, a different story, but then it just dragged. Great potential, but the editors should have worked more with it. And how can you take the story of Aladin and his lamp and completely X him out?
Karen
Jan 03, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
It took me awhile to get into this book. At first Aminah was a bit annoying, though she did have redeemable qualities. After awhile, I got pulled into the story. I loved the various characters, and I really liked the direction the story went. And the ending was perfect.

Content: Clean
Briana
Sep 11, 2008 Briana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5-6
What ever happened to the jinni after Aladdin got the princess? This story tells of Aminah and her journey with the lamp as she struggles to survive while trying to change the world. This book puts a new twist on the Aladdin story with an evil princess and a confused jinni.
Meghan
Apr 04, 2008 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Slight Spoiler!
I really enjoyed this book. I've read it about five times now. It is about a young beggar girl who finds the Genie's Lamp that Aladdin had. But she finds out something that Aladdin never bothered to and her whole life is changed for her good, and for the good of others.
  • Faith And The Electric Dogs
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Into the Woods (Eden sisters, #1)
  • The Birthday Ball
  • Snowbear Whittington: An Appalachian Beauty and the Beast
  • Snow in Summer
  • The Snow Princess
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • Helga's Dowry: A Troll Love Story
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Der dunkle Kuss der Sterne
  • The Monument
  • Once Upon a Spring Morn (Faery, #4)
  • Tiger Moon
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • A Pack of Lies
  • Aurelie: A Faerie Tale
  • Lucky Breaks (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #2)