Wishing Moon

Wishing Moon

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Aminah is an orphan living on the streets of Al-Kal'as. When she appeals to the princess for help, the black-hearted wife of Aladdin throws an old lamp at her head. The lamp holds an obstreperous jinni who informs Aminah that she can make three wishes after each full moon. With the jinni's magic, Aminah regains security and comfort, and she even assembles a makeshift famil...more
Published June 3rd 2004 by Dutton Juvenile

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
68th out of 426 books — 803 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullLiberty by Annie Laurie CechiniThe Candy Shop War by Brandon MullEnna Burning by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
LDS YA & MG Authors
58th out of 115 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Nickie
'Wishing Moon' is a happily-never-after retelling of 'Aladdin', which stuck out to me for a couple of reasons. First, I liked the idea of redrawing some of the characters from the story. Second, while I love fairy tale retelling, some of them have been run ragged. How many Cinderella retellings are sitting at the library? Dozens, I'm sure. So this one seemed to promise something fresh and a little different.

In 'Wishing Moon', a poor orphan, Aminah, is out of money and out of options. Her father...more
CHEESEBURGER
In the book "Wishing Moon" the author does a good job creating a diverse and fresh plot. the plot has many elements of suspense that will have the reader on the edge of there seat. some suspense build up a the book goes, and other times it just pops up randomly. I feel as the authors purpose has been fully achieved. the author described the various elements of plot so well, that when you read the book, it feel like you're watching a movie in your head. the introduction is not over done with full...more
Vivian
In this thoroughly delightful tale, the beggar girl, Aminah, acquires the very lamp (and jinni) that changed the life of the fabled Aladdin. This story takes many surprising twists and turns. All the while the reader may entertain thoughts of what he or she would do should they find such a lamp. Are Aminah's actions and choices believable, realistic, predictable? The reader decides for him or herself.

There were a few editorial "woops!" such as a word appearing twice in a sentence -- the first (...more
Amy
This book was fun and fluffy. I enjoyed the idea of what happens after Aladdin and the lamp, a backstory for how the jinni came to be who he is, etc. I think that the idea of the story deserves much more though - for example, some of the relationships need more explanation (especially Aladdin and the Princess), and the resolution to the chief problem (i.e., the villain who is trying to track down the lamp) is just too easy and too sudden. There should have been more suspense, more impending doom...more
Jenny
Aminah is a beggar girl barely surviving each day when a brass lamp is thrown at her head for her impertinence. The lamp - the legendary lamp from the tales of Aladdin - turns out to contain a Jinni. With each new moon comes the opportunity to have 3 wishes. And while her life changes dramatically in the first few moons, it is others lives that change as she realizes the power she has to help others. But with the princess hot on her heels and the scary after-effects of 'doing good', how long can...more
Amy Liu
This book was very interesting and it's a good book. It is about this girl Aminah, she is an orpahn. Her parents died, poor Aminah now lives on the street with her friends as beggars. She then recieves a lamp from Princess Badr. The lamp turned out to be magival, it contained a Jinni inside. Aminah can make three wishes on every full moon.
Everything is going great for Aminah, but she doesnt have full happiness because she cannot help the others. And meanwhile, the princess finds out about the l...more
Lindi
Did you ever wonder what happened after Aladdin was through with the lamp? Here's how Michael O. Tunnell envisions it. (He's my new favorite author -- Candy Bomber, Mailing May and now I discover that he wrote this book which I read this several years ago and remember so fondly.) I noticed it today looking for stories about generosity (which this suits beautifully) and think I'm going to have to re-read it this weekend.

Later: I did and it is just as charming as the first time. Check it out: Girl...more
Heather
A retelling of the Aladdin story-or what happens after Aladdin. Cute. The writing was at times disjointed, but the plot was interesting enough to make the book still worth reading.

Aminah is an orphan living on the streets. She appeals to the Princess Badr for work, and in her anger, Badr throws the unsightly lamp (Aladdin's) out the window straight into Aminah's lap. Aminah makes friends with the jinni, finds friends, and a place for herself in the city, and looks for ways to make the world a be...more
Anna
An imaginative and interesting expansion on the Arabian Nights
Emily Bates
A clever and engaging tale of Aladdin's lamp post-Aladdin. Aminah is a strong main character whose flaws make her believable and whose attempts to overcome those flaws make her lovable. The princess is wonderfully deplorable (this is not Disney's Aladdin), and the Jinni is a delightful conundrum. My one complaint is the love triangle conflict: I am so absurdly fed up with those. But in all other aspects, "Wishing Moon" both entertains and inspires with its stories of how just one act can change...more
Jenny
Aminah is a street beggar who was the daugher of a scholar of the sultan. She goes to beg from the Princess Badr, wife of Aladdin. Instead of compassion, Aminah is given a worthless lamp when Princes Badr throws it at her. Now Aminah has a magic jinni to grant her three wishes a month. Instead of only wishing for herself, Aminah's kind heart lets her help others. Along the way she finds friends and family. Now if she can only escape the revenge of Prncess Badr . . .
Tessa
This is a middle grade novel/fantasy. It’s set in the Middle East long ago and far away. Aladdin’s famous lamp falls into the hands of an orphan girl who learns how to use it to bless others. Charming story. Not flawless but very readable. And the author’s a local guy, which I thought was cool. I enjoyed looking at how the author used the setting—foreign but not too much so. Magic and fantasy but still relatable. The main character is strong but not too perfect.
Heather
I enjoyed this continuation of the Aladdin's lamp story very much (though I think that Tunnell's best writing came at the beginning of the book). When Jinni did some very Jinni-like thing in the middle of a chess game, I smiled and knew that this was a keeper. The very last part of the ending was a little weird- kind of like drinking a glass of orange juice after finishing dessert. But this book ranks up pretty high on my list of YA fantasy reads.
Jessica
Again, here is another cute tail that I love to read. This is the story of what happens to Aladdin's lamp after Aladdin moves into the palace. Jasmin (who isn't as sweet as the Disney version) throws the lamp unknowingly to a beggar girl. I really enjoyed the main characters growth and what she chooses to do with her wishes in the end. Its a fun fairytale read.
Ms.Scholl
This is a great take on the Aladdin tale with lots of adventure and a nice magical twist. The scrawny beggar girl from the street will win your heart and make you want to root for the good guys in this first book featuring Aladdins lamp and jinni.
Janet
What happens to Aladdin's Lamp after Aladdin loses it? This is the story of the beggar girl whose life is transformed. The author is a big fan of Lloyd Alexander, and it shows here with a similar style. Characters aren't very complex and the moral issues are a bit heavy handed, but there is plenty of humor and a fun adventure.
Katri
Sep 25, 2007 Katri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a quick read (juvenile fiction). It is a story about what happens after Aladin gets the lamp and marries the princess. (The princess in this story is nothing like the Disney one.) It is a great read and well thought out. It doesn't have the holes in logic in it that many fairy-tales do. A great book!
Ji Mei ^_^
This book was really good! I liked the new version of Aladdin's story and the possibility of what could happen after he became a prince. The characters are all interesting and mysterious, especially the jinni. There was surprises in the plot that kept the story going and I can't wait for the next book.
Meghan
Slight Spoiler!
I really enjoyed this book. I've read it about five times now. It is about a young beggar girl who finds the Genie's Lamp that Aladdin had. But she finds out something that Aladdin never bothered to and her whole life is changed for her good, and for the good of others.
Valerie L
May 26, 2011 Valerie L rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 0
Shelves: young-adult
I almost gave up on this book - mostly skimmed the last 1/4. It had a good start, a different story, but then it just dragged. Great potential, but the editors should have worked more with it. And how can you take the story of Aladin and his lamp and completely X him out?
Briana
Sep 12, 2008 Briana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 5-6
What ever happened to the jinni after Aladdin got the princess? This story tells of Aminah and her journey with the lamp as she struggles to survive while trying to change the world. This book puts a new twist on the Aladdin story with an evil princess and a confused jinni.
Amy
It was very satisfying to read this book, as it cleared up a lot of things from the second book that I didn't fully understand or appreciate. I like the character of Aminah, and I like the portrayal of the genie. Although I do feel bad for Aladdin.
Ann
I picked this book up at the BYU bookstore because it was written by a BYU professor. It is a continuation of Aladdin's tale, with the next person to get the lamp. I liked it, but I didn't think the characters were really well developed.
Liz
May 28, 2013 Liz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I felt like there was a great idea behind this book and a great moral ending, but not enough attention given to plot and characters. I found myself not really caring what happened. This could have been awesome with better execution.
Annelisa
I picked this book up at the library because it was written by my Children's Lit professor at BYU. I thought I would give it a try. I really enjoyed it! It is light reading and a fun story. I like the very ending of the story!
Meagan
This book was written by my children's lit professor, which is cool. It's actually why I read it in the first place. I really enjoyed it though, and would definitely recommend it. I had to read the sequel immediately. :)
Kate McCartney
Aladdin's is found by a poor beggar girl who with jinni's help gets riches and comfort from life. She also uses the jinni to help others.

This is a very good book, if you like the adventures of Aladdin pick this up.
Shauna
Initially sophia was loving this book. Then halfway through she decided she didn't want to finish so I had to read it on my own. Cute pretense, engaging story, nothing amazing...but a fun read.
Della
I just read it, and it was okay. I kinda dragged myself through it--I have a tendency if I start a book, I HAVE to finish it. I'm not that into the whole magic concept, either. :P
Elynn
This is a cute retelling of the Aladdin story with the main person being a girl. It's very cute though I found the end a little flat compared to the rest of the book.
  • Into the Woods
  • Little Sister (Mitsuko, #1)
  • Tiger Moon
  • The Monument
  • Thornspell
  • The Birthday Ball
  • Once Upon a Spring Morn (Faery Series, #4)
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • The Unfinished Angel
  • The Beast of Noor
  • Northward to the Moon (My One Hundred Adventures #2)
  • The Tower Room (Egerton Hall, #1)
  • The Wizard's Apprentice (The Keepers, #2)
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty & the Beast Tale
  • The Last Treasure
  • Lucky Breaks (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow Spinner
Candy Bomber Mailing May Children's Literature, Briefly (4th Edition) Moon Without Magic The Prydain Companion: A Reference Guide to Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles