Start by marking “On Earth” as Want to Read:
On Earth

On Earth

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Climb aboard the earth for the adventure of a lifetime! As you travel, watch shadows move from here to there as day stretches into night, and feel the weather change as one season rolls into the next. All these amazing things happen because the earth is constantly in motion. Spinning and circling, gliding and tilting, as passengers of the earth, our voyage never ends!

With
Published May 19th 2005 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Earth

Ralf Urbach
I was glad to see such an easy way to teach the basics about the way the earth works. Great and informative illustrations. My son really had a good time teaching his OLDER sister a thing or two about the world!
Traci Bold
Living on earth is special for so many reasons that G. Brian Karas can only point out the least obvious which are actually the simplest.

He explains the wondrous earth using colorful illustrations and smooth text.

Great book for young learners. Captivating and appealing.

Published by G. P. Putnam & Sons
Sue Pak
This book is about Earth and the orbit around space.
You can use this book to talk about how planets revolve around the sun, how it's day in one part of the world and night in the other. It talks about how seasons take place. It's a good book to read to the kids. It's written kind of with a poetic flow, so it makes it easy to read. However, kids will have to know the vocabulary related to it, because it has a lot of scientific vocabulary in it.

I recommend this for older children. 4th-5th.
The cont
RLL 520 Sharonda
Did you ever wonder why the earth spins or what changes day to night? This informational text gives a detailed explanation of the functions of the earth for young readers. this book would be great for teaching the earth cycles to k-3 rd grade students.
Jessica Herd
I read this book out loud to my children at an after school program and the older children really got into it because they knew a lot of the information already and they were ready to share that with me. The younger children enjoyed this as well because of the great pictures. I love that this book is bigger because it was easier to read to all the children, they were able to see the pictures clearly. I would use this book in my classroom whenever we talked about planets.
Amanda Hively
This book is perfect for all ages learning about Earth. Earth Day would be the perfect time to share this book in class. There is a lot a student can learn from this book. And the colors I'm the illustrations make it very eye catching!
Emerson
Spectacular. The art is wonderful. This book teaches about revolution, rotation, gravity, the sun and the moon why we have seasons and how the revolution determines months of the year and rotation the days. Very educational and fun
Cheryl
This book has an interesting explanation of time that will be understood by older preschool children. There are several illustrations of the earth in relation to the sun that help with understanding seasons and years.
Lisa Vegan
There are some gorgeous and very educational illustrations in this book. This is a terrific introductory book for children about how the earth spins on its axis, why we have seasons, and other such scientific facts. I would have liked even more information but what’s provided is interesting. I think this book would be enjoyed most by a child who can read it for themselves, or perhaps read and shown aloud as a class project, but the way the information is presented, I don’t think it’s ideal for a ...more
Alice
Surprise surprise I actually liked this book. I guess I am sucker for nicely done non-fiction narrative stories. Nice pictures informative and a good story!
Nicole
Simple illustrations of time through everyday examples such as shadows that then move into concepts such as day/night, seasons, rotation around the sun.
Natalie
Beautiful illustrations. Teaches about gravity, rotation, revolution, axis and orbit. We used this in a unit about space.
Caitlin Barclay
This is a creatively illustrated book that explains how and why the earth rotates. The book uses birthdays, seasons, life changes, plant life cycles to connect to students about the rotation of the sun and earth. When the book talked about the rotation of the earth the words went into a circle. This is a great book for elementary students. The concepts of the rotation of the earth is a confusing topic but I would reread this book with any elementary grade.
Kimberly
This beautiful book describes for children how the earth works and how it causes tides of the ocean with the moon and the rotations of the earth. It describes how the earth’s rotation causes the turn of the seasons and the progression of the year. It also details how gravity keeps us fixed to the earth.
This would be a great opening book share for a science unit on the earth. It would also be a good first research project help book.
Bethann
I used this book in a lesson for Kindergarten students. Our theme on the Unit was Outer Space. This book was a little more detailed than I had wanted, but it was a very informational book. What I liked about it was that the book was not just all facts. It told a story with the facts built in. I think it would be a good book to use in a classroom, because it is very interesting.
babyhippoface
On Earth is an excellent explanation of night and day, seasons, and earth’s rotations and revolutions for young readers. Simple, brief text and colorful paintings illustrate the scientific principles in an almost poetic fashion. Perfect for use in elementary science classrooms, this book allows students to see the complex principles modeled with their own eyes.
Relyn
Aug 11, 2009 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: elementary school teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: Family Fun magazine
Wow. Look at all the wonderful books I've discovered thanks to Family Fun. This is another book that will be wonderful to teach with. It covers the basic science needed to begin to understand geogrpahy. You know, the rotation of the Earth on axis, etc. It's fantastic. I'll be using this to begin our weekly Geography.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Loved this book!
What a simple introduction to space and Earth and seasons and the like!
I could see this going over very well as an introduction to geometry.
It's a great jumping off point, that's for sure!

Haiku Review:
Here we are on earth;
spinning, tilting, orbiting,
going round the sun.
Mary Sesar
This is a great book to use to help children understand how the earth rotates. I would use it in the classroom because it gets the point across of what I am trying to get the students to understand but there is also a story in it that would help the children stay focused and not doze off.
Jen
I thought this was an excellent picture book to explain some Science concepts like planets, the equator, the seasons. I would pair this book with any elementary Science class to help reinforce those concepts. My soon to be 1st grade son really enjoyed this book.
Katie Jackson
I like how in this book, the pictures look like a child drew them but they connected to the facts of Earth. This book goes over the movement of the Earth and how gravity holds us down. I would read this to Kindergarteners because it doesn't dive too deep into detail.
Dolly
Aug 22, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a good book to read aloud to children, especially when you want to explain concepts like the Earth's rotation and time concepts of days, months and years. It has colorful illustrations, although some of the diagrams might be confusing to younger children.
Michelle Nero
Plucked this one of the shelf at random. It was a good pick! Love the simple illustrations to explain all that the earth does in a day, month, year, through the seasons, and so on. A great resource for science.
McKayla Hogge
Loved the illustrations in this book. The information about earth was greatly presented! This would be a great read aloud to introduce a science lesson!
Stephanie Allen
This book discusses various cycles of the Earth's revolution of the sun. With beautiful illustrations, it helps the students visualize these difficult topics.
Katharine
Concise text, simple and clear illustrations, that explain the rotation of the earth, seasons, how we count time by months and years, etc.
Anna
Great for lower level grades for science. talks about the rotation of the earth and why there is day and night. great science resource.
Jodie
Simple explanation for readers to get an idea of our earth and it's place in space and why we have day/night and seasons.
Amy
Good explanation of Earth's rotation & how it affects seasons, day and night & gravity.
Debra
Perfect book to introduce the reason we have seasons.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
G. Brian Karas has illustrated close to ninety children’s books. He has also written and illustrated several titles, including HOME ON THE BAYOU, a BOSTON-GLOBE-HORN Book Honor winner. He lives in Rhinebeck, New York.
More about G. Brian Karas...
As an Oak Tree Grows The Village Garage Young Zeus Today And Today Atlantic