Start by marking “On Earth” as Want to Read:
On Earth

On Earth

Climb aboard the earth for the adventure of a lifetime! As you travel, watch shadows move from here to there as day stretches into night, and feel the weather change as one season rolls into the next. All these amazing things happen because the earth is constantly in motion. Spinning and circling, gliding and tilting, as passengers of the earth, our voyage never ends!

With
Published May 19th 2005 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Earth

babyhippoface
On Earth is an excellent explanation of night and day, seasons, and earth’s rotations and revolutions for young readers. Simple, brief text and colorful paintings illustrate the scientific principles in an almost poetic fashion. Perfect for use in elementary science classrooms, this book allows students to see the complex principles modeled with their own eyes.
Ralf Urbach
Oct 11, 2013 Ralf Urbach rated it liked it
Shelves: ala-noteable
I was glad to see such an easy way to teach the basics about the way the earth works. Great and informative illustrations. My son really had a good time teaching his OLDER sister a thing or two about the world!
jacky
Apr 20, 2016 jacky rated it really liked it
Just what we needed. An introduction to how days and rotations, seasons and revolutions work. Illustrations and verse make it more like a story rather than a "fact book."
Katy-Margaret Doss
Mar 02, 2017 Katy-Margaret Doss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-350
This is a review for On Earth by G. Brain Karas. This book is about how Earth rotates on its axis and why and how we have different seasons. This book explains why we have different seasons based on Earth's rotations. It also mentions time and how 1 year is 1 full rotation on Earths axis. The book also explains night and day and how that is caused by Earth facing the sun or not facing the sun. I really liked this book. It would be great for introducing this topic to younger children because it i ...more
Emily Davis
Jan 28, 2017 Emily Davis rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
In this book, the reader is taken through a simple explanation of seasons and time within the aspect of Earth's rotation.
This book was ok. It was rather short, simple, and a little boring since it didn't have a plot or storyline. It uses semi-complicated terms, but the pictures help illustrate what the words mean.
This would be a great book to incorporate in a lesson going over seasons and days in an older group to help them understand the why behind these things. It is a very informational, bu
Sue Pak
Apr 19, 2012 Sue Pak rated it really liked it
This book is about Earth and the orbit around space.
You can use this book to talk about how planets revolve around the sun, how it's day in one part of the world and night in the other. It talks about how seasons take place. It's a good book to read to the kids. It's written kind of with a poetic flow, so it makes it easy to read. However, kids will have to know the vocabulary related to it, because it has a lot of scientific vocabulary in it.

I recommend this for older children. 4th-5th.
The cont
Elizabeth Woodruff
Jan 20, 2016 Elizabeth Woodruff rated it really liked it
If you didn't know already, this is a book about the earth. It was written and illustrated by G. Brian Karas. He does a wonderful job explaining and showing the earth and its many cycles. He makes the concept of earth easy to understand for young children. This book also talks about the months and seasons. Karas's word choices throughout this book was very well done. I also enjoyed his illustrations of the earth. This book would be perfect to use in the classroom for explaining the earth and it' ...more
Lisa Vegan
There are some gorgeous and very educational illustrations in this book. This is a terrific introductory book for children about how the earth spins on its axis, why we have seasons, and other such scientific facts. I would have liked even more information but what’s provided is interesting. I think this book would be enjoyed most by a child who can read it for themselves, or perhaps read and shown aloud as a class project, but the way the information is presented, I don’t think it’s ideal for a ...more
Kenzie Thompson
Nov 17, 2016 Kenzie Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
On Earth is about how the earth spins and rotates around the sun. It describes different aspects of the earth and the moon and the other planets. It also describes why we have day and night and why we have different seasons. In addition, it describes why different parts of the world have different seasons.
This is a good book to use for science lessons with young kids. It explains a lot of important details about the earth in simple ways for kids to understand. I would use it to introduce a scie
Caitlin Barclay
This is a creatively illustrated book that explains how and why the earth rotates. The book uses birthdays, seasons, life changes, plant life cycles to connect to students about the rotation of the sun and earth. When the book talked about the rotation of the earth the words went into a circle. This is a great book for elementary students. The concepts of the rotation of the earth is a confusing topic but I would reread this book with any elementary grade.
Natalie Traylor
This book describes Earth, and how it rotates on its axis, revolves around the Sun, and these determine the reasons. It gives examples of what the Earth is like during the seasons.

I would use this book when teaching my students what creates seasons, and when we are going over revolving/rotation. The students would complete an activity to tell me in which seasons are days longer and when are nights longer.
Cassie Houck
Apr 27, 2016 Cassie Houck rated it really liked it
this book goes explains how we live on earth and why the seasons change. It tells us why we can be upside down on the earth and never fall off, and even tells us how we rotate on an axis

I loved this book, the illustrations were wonderful, and the way it explained how the earth works was perfect for young but curious children.

I would have this book in my classroom for my library, especially if I taught around 2nd grade. I would read it aloud for an earth unit.
Maddie Taylor
Apr 28, 2016 Maddie Taylor rated it really liked it
I think this is such a cute book to use in the classroom!! I think this would be a good book to read aloud to children, especially when you want to explain Earth's rotation and time concepts of days, months and years. It has eye-catching illustrations that I loved! Some of the diagrams might hard to understand for younger children, but I think with a little explaining they would be able to grasp it!
Jessica Herd
Jan 13, 2014 Jessica Herd rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, science
I read this book out loud to my children at an after school program and the older children really got into it because they knew a lot of the information already and they were ready to share that with me. The younger children enjoyed this as well because of the great pictures. I love that this book is bigger because it was easier to read to all the children, they were able to see the pictures clearly. I would use this book in my classroom whenever we talked about planets.
Kimberly
Sep 21, 2012 Kimberly rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-4050
This beautiful book describes for children how the earth works and how it causes tides of the ocean with the moon and the rotations of the earth. It describes how the earth’s rotation causes the turn of the seasons and the progression of the year. It also details how gravity keeps us fixed to the earth.
This would be a great opening book share for a science unit on the earth. It would also be a good first research project help book.
Traci Bold
Jun 02, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Living on earth is special for so many reasons that G. Brian Karas can only point out the least obvious which are actually the simplest.

He explains the wondrous earth using colorful illustrations and smooth text.

Great book for young learners. Captivating and appealing.

Published by G. P. Putnam & Sons
Caitlin Harris
May 02, 2016 Caitlin Harris rated it it was amazing
I loved On Earth by G. Brian Karas! This book is about the earth and gives a lot of information about why the seasons change and why it gets dark. The author did an incredible job simplifying the language to make it really easy to understand. The illustrations are also beautiful and they really compliment the words to the book. I would definitely want this book in my classroom!
Rachel Coleman
Nov 13, 2016 Rachel Coleman rated it really liked it
"On Earth" by G. Brian Karas is a great book about the seasons and the way the earth works. I really enjoyed this book because you learn a lot from it. This would be an awesome book to read to your students on earth day for sure. I enjoyed the illustrations and how much it ties into science. I definitely recommend reading this book and sharing it with your children!
Relyn
Aug 11, 2009 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: elementary school teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: Family Fun magazine
Wow. Look at all the wonderful books I've discovered thanks to Family Fun. This is another book that will be wonderful to teach with. It covers the basic science needed to begin to understand geogrpahy. You know, the rotation of the Earth on axis, etc. It's fantastic. I'll be using this to begin our weekly Geography.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Feb 08, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this book!
What a simple introduction to space and Earth and seasons and the like!
I could see this going over very well as an introduction to geometry.
It's a great jumping off point, that's for sure!

Haiku Review:
Here we are on earth;
spinning, tilting, orbiting,
going round the sun.
Hannah Banowsky
This book had the most beautiful illustrations. I loved all the cute ways of seeing the world. This was a book about all the things on earth. The book was cute, interesting, and fun. I would definitely use this in my classroom to start a unit with my children. This was one of my favorite children's books I read thus far. would recommend for anyone's library.
Bethann
I used this book in a lesson for Kindergarten students. Our theme on the Unit was Outer Space. This book was a little more detailed than I had wanted, but it was a very informational book. What I liked about it was that the book was not just all facts. It told a story with the facts built in. I think it would be a good book to use in a classroom, because it is very interesting.
Bayleigh Garrett
Feb 24, 2016 Bayleigh Garrett rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It did a really great job of explains tough concepts about earth and its movement in a simple and easy to understand way. I would love to use this book in a future classroom for an earth day lesson. I would use for ages 6-12.
Amanda Hively
Feb 21, 2015 Amanda Hively rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is perfect for all ages learning about Earth. Earth Day would be the perfect time to share this book in class. There is a lot a student can learn from this book. And the colors I'm the illustrations make it very eye catching!
Jen
Jun 27, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
I thought this was an excellent picture book to explain some Science concepts like planets, the equator, the seasons. I would pair this book with any elementary Science class to help reinforce those concepts. My soon to be 1st grade son really enjoyed this book.
Mary Sesar
Dec 13, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it
This is a great book to use to help children understand how the earth rotates. I would use it in the classroom because it gets the point across of what I am trying to get the students to understand but there is also a story in it that would help the children stay focused and not doze off.
Emerson and Theodore
May 10, 2014 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
Update: now a part of our permanent collection.

Spectacular. The art is wonderful. This book teaches about revolution, rotation, gravity, the sun and the moon why we have seasons and how the revolution determines months of the year and rotation the days. Very educational and fun.
RLL 520 Sharonda Kimbrough
Did you ever wonder why the earth spins or what changes day to night? This informational text gives a detailed explanation of the functions of the earth for young readers. this book would be great for teaching the earth cycles to k-3 rd grade students.
Katie Jackson
Sep 11, 2011 Katie Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I like how in this book, the pictures look like a child drew them but they connected to the facts of Earth. This book goes over the movement of the Earth and how gravity holds us down. I would read this to Kindergarteners because it doesn't dive too deep into detail.
Michelle Nero
Nov 29, 2012 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
Plucked this one of the shelf at random. It was a good pick! Love the simple illustrations to explain all that the earth does in a day, month, year, through the seasons, and so on. A great resource for science.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Where Butterflies Grow
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
G. Brian Karas has illustrated close to ninety children’s books. He has also written and illustrated several titles, including HOME ON THE BAYOU, a BOSTON-GLOBE-HORN Book Honor winner. He lives in Rhinebeck, New York.
More about G. Brian Karas...