Start by marking “Keepers of the Earth: Native American Stories and Environmental Activities for Children” as Want to Read:

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The flagship book in the Keepers of the Earth series, this environmental classic teaches children respect and stewardship for the Earth and all living things. Joseph Bruchac's lyrical retellings set the stage for Michael Caduto's abundance of related activities.

Beginning with Native American stories, this invaluable and time-honored resource provides readers with an abunda
Published August 28th 1997 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published September 15th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Keepers of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keepers of the Earth

Alexandra Chauran
Got this book from the library and it was an amazing concept. It reminded me of Story Path curriculum in that it combines story-telling with observation and experimentation to teach science concepts. I definitely have to get this book for when my kids are older. For right now, they enjoyed the stories at bedtime.
Kelly Coyle DiNorcia
I learned SO MUCH from this book! My daughter has lots of questions when we're outside hiking and enjoying nature, and I was frequently finding myself unable to answer them. This book is a little textbook-y, but easy to read and extrememly informative, with a great introduction to a diverse number of topics in biology. It also contains a lot of great activities that could be used with a group or one-on-one.
Kathywelch
Excellent and easy to read collections of Native American myths and lore with teaching ideas and other supplementary materials.
Karetchko
Great stories and illustrations. I used to use this book a lot when I had a job as an environmental educator at a summer camp.
Angie
Although, in retrospect, culturally insensitive. Perhaps even ludicrously so. Why was this allowed to happen?
Cameron
One for everyone, old or young. Takes you back to the mystery of Mother Earth and her creatures.
Lafcadio
Jul 30, 2007 Lafcadio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ocheti shakowin
Short stories paired with related environmental activities.
Dawn
Great collection of Native American Stories.
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Tracie Montgomery
Tracie Montgomery marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jeannie Clark
Jeannie Clark marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Rhonda Hicks
Rhonda Hicks is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Monica
Monica added it
Jun 27, 2014
Paul E.
Paul E. marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two Skeleton Man Dragon Castle Wolf Mark Sacajawea