An Olympic Death

An Olympic Death (Pepe Carvalho #16)

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  6 reviews
“One of the finest examples of European ‘noir’ literature.” —John Harvey

“Pepe Carvalho is a true original.” —The Times (London)

As private investigator Pepe Carvalho cruises the backstreets of Barcelona, finding dead bodies and broken socialist promises, he remembers an older, seedier town hidden behind the shiny new Olympic City. Like his beloved city, Carvalho is forced t...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Serpent's Tail (first published June 1st 1992)

Steve
Gee, that was as disappointing as it was depressing. I know it's not fair to pluck a couple of books out of lengthy (and popular) series, but - now that I've done so - I can only conclude I missed something selecting this installment. I bought a few of these (used) before I went to Barcelona, and I enjoyed, in large part, the first one I read, Off Side, even though it is numbered later in the series (but chronologically precedes this book, because events are referenced in this book that occurred...more
Susan
I wish my spanish was up to reading without relying on a translator. Hard to apportion a few of the problems. Worth reading Andrea Camilleri´s view on Montalban on whom his own character Inspector Montalbano is drawn.

I think Vasquez Montalban´s writings are excellent and important for a dangerous time in Spain´s history. In just the same way that the cartoon was a powerful mechanism to say what was difficult at the time of Franco so we have in this detective a way of showing the dangerous seedy...more
Nikki Jefford
I read this book for research - Spellbound #3 is set in Barcelona - but ended up enjoying this far beyond research. The humor alone is worth 5 stars. The observations into the human condition and snappy dialogue delighted and surprised me. People and situations were described in a fresh way. I was quite simply transported.
Katharina Joos
Now that I've come to the end of this story I find it quite disappointing. It builds up rather nicely in the first half of the book, but then there's quite a steep anti-climax as he resolves the mistery too quickly for my liking.
Wilde Sky
The writing style was laborious and the plot didn't engage.

In the version (translation) I read there were some very peculiar sentences - not sure if these were deliberate.
Dave Johnson
Interesting context about pre-Olympic Barcelona with old city being replaced by massive new building projects. Enjoyable but not one of my favourite Montalbans.
Vincenzo
Vincenzo marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Leto
Leto added it
Mar 10, 2014
Larsen
Larsen added it
Mar 08, 2014
Rose Works
Rose Works marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Euskal Srpski
Euskal Srpski marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Kaz
Kaz marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Bridgette
Bridgette marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
James Williams
James Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Nancy Oakes
Nancy Oakes marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Manuel Vázquez Montalbán was a prolific Spanish writer: journalist, novelist, poet, essayist, anthologue, prologist, humourist, critic, as well as a gastronome and a FC Barcelona supporter.

He studied Philosophy at Universidad Autònoma de Barcelona and was also a member of the Unified Socialist Party of Catalonia. For many years, he contributed columns and articles to the Madrid-based daily newspa...more
More about Manuel Vázquez Montalbán...
Southern Seas (Pepe Carvalho, #4) Il centravanti è stato assassinato verso sera Murder In The Central Committee (Pepe Carvalho, #5) Tatuaggio (Pepe Carvalho #2) Gli uccelli di Bangkok (Pepe Carvalho #6)