Sue MacDonald Had a Book

Sue MacDonald Had a Book

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  24 reviews
What would you do if a bunch of letters jumped right off the page while you were reading a book? Run after them, of course. Join Sue MacDonald as she travels from a railroad station to a sewer to a mountain peak and more, all in an attempt to capture her renegade vowels. Reading a book has never been so interactive!

Jim Tobin’s clever text—based on a favorite children’s son...more
Published July 21st 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Esmoi
Weelll... I have to confess that I never much cared for books that involve letters of the alphabet as characters.

My four year old picked out this one at the library randomly and was mildly disappointed in it. He enjoyed picking out the letters he recognized on the last page, and the story did spark a conversation about vowels, but he was mostly bored by the story (which contorts itself awkwardly and references place names outside the lexicon of the typical young child in order to fit the meter...more
Brenda Kimble
Sue MacDonald, was a great book to read. The colored layout of the illustrations on the white back ground just made the letters look so real. I really enjoyed the story line. This book touches on all of the core subject’s toughs in a classroom for young children. Vowels that children need to know for sounding spelling and reading are wonderfully organized. Children will remember the information just hearing the story once. Children can pick up on counting and social study discussions by talking...more
Angela
I liked the idea of singing the book to my son. However -- and maybe this is just me -- I really struggled to get the book's words to fit to the tune. Just a few too many syllables. Okay other than that. Liked that they demonstrated different uses for each vowel during the character's search for it. But overall, felt like it was trying to do too much.
Shanshad Whelan
Trying too hard to make a book's story text scan to an old song is no way too make a picture book. I tried reading this aloud to actually get the feel of the "old macdonald" tune to this text and it. just. didn't. work.

An idea may be clever, but the overall excecution of this leaves a lot to be desired.
Chrystie Sargent
I used this one for my Phonics class. The kids, I don't think, really understand what vowels are at the stage they are at, but it was a fun book for introducing them to the idea of vowels and the names of those particular letters. As a project we are going to make our own vowel books!
Amalia
This is cute for learning vowels to the tune of "Old MacDonald". Not a fabulous standout, but I could see its use in school. The layout and illustrations could do better to support the rhythm of the rhyme.
Stephanie Martin
Picture Book 30: I truly did enjoy this book. And of course I had to sing it out loud to the rhythm of "Old Mcdonald". It was a very clever way of getting kids to enjoy this book. It sure got me hooked!
My 4-year-old daughter and I love this book. In just a few readings, we both have it memorized. I even find myself singing it at random times during the day. What a fun way to learn about vowels!
Becky
Cute book for teaching the vowels! My son requested this one over and over...I almost have the song memorized! Makes me laugh every time I read it.
Angie
Liked the illustrations. But I kept trying to sing the song (supposedly goes along with Old MacDonald) and it just didn't ... "go."
Sherri
Phonological awareness. Print awareness. Letter awareness.
Bright fun illustrations. Can be sung and can have audience involvement.
Tess
My three-year old daughter LOVED this book and we read it every day for the week we had it from the library.
Savannah
Want to purchase this one. My son enjoyed it. Great way to incorporate teaching vowels.
Juliej
Clever, clever... cute rhymes to drill the a,e,i,o,u (and sometimes y) concept.
CRC Washburn
Dec 16, 2008 CRC Washburn marked it as to-read
Forthcoming title-
A vopwel sing-along to the tune of 'Old MacDonald'.

Lucia
Great book to read to new readers or new Americans learning the language.
Elynn
Jul 15, 2010 Elynn added it
A romp through the vowels of the alphabet, great for preschoolers.
Heather
A lot of fun to read, but even more fun to sing. This is a cute book.
Leslee
I love this book, me and Ellie sing it quite often.
Lesley
Cute book about reading and letter awareness.
Gail
My 3.5 year old was not interested.
Sara Jones
Great for teaching/reviewing vowels.
Diana
great story about vowels
Karen
cute way to reinforce vowels
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 04, 2014
Mrs Mary
Mrs Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Very Inappropriate Word Social Media Is a Cocktail Party: Why You Already Know the Rules of Social Media Marketing sue mcdonald had a book Earn It. Don't Buy It. Earn It, Don't Buy It: The CMO's Guide to Social Media Marketing in a Post Facebook World