Start by marking “The Queen of Spades” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Spades

The Queen of Spades

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,470 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
The Queen of Spades (Russian: Pikovaya dama) is an acclaimed short story by Alexander Pushkin about human avariciousness. Pushkin wrote the story in autumn 1833 in Boldino and it was first published in literary magazine Biblioteka dlya chteniya in 1834. It was turned into the opera The Queen of Spades by Tchaikovsky.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1834)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Spades, please sign up.

Marina just saw your question... i read it years ago so I don't remember, but if you can tell me where exactly in the story it's mentioned, I can check what…morejust saw your question... i read it years ago so I don't remember, but if you can tell me where exactly in the story it's mentioned, I can check what the Russian original says and research a little if needed :)(less)

Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
This is an odd, mystical Russian short story about greed and avarice, and the choices we make in life. A group of military men is gambling at cards, a few of the commenting on how one of the group, a German named Hermann, never gambles. Another man then tells how his grandmother had been told some mysterious method of a sure bet in playing and guessing three cards. (I don't quite get the game here, other than that one predicts the number of the card that is drawn from the deck, but it's not real ...more
Florencia
Dec 11, 2015 Florencia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Florencia by: Dostoyevsky
Avarice. The insatiable desire for wealth. That thing that tears family and friends apart. That moves the world in different directions. That creates in people the worst feelings and intentions. And a huge void that nothing can fill: “Poverty wants much; but avarice, everything”.
You can't have everything.

This short story, written by Pushkin in 1833, describes avarice with a brilliant writing and a witty plot. A little fella named Hermann enjoyed watching other people play cards. He never played
Ahmad Sharabiani
Пиковая дама=The Queen of Spades, Alexander Pushkin
عنوان: بی بی پیک؛ نویسنده: الکساندر پوشکین؛ مترجم: مسعود کریمی؛ تهران، دیروز و امروز، 1327، در 59 ص، موضوع: داستانهای کوتاه از نویسندگان روسی قرن 19 م

عنوان: بی بی پیک؛ نویسنده: الکساندر پوشکین؛ مقدمه: آندره ژید؛ مترجم: محمد مجلسی؛ تهران، دنیای نو، 1383، در 190 ص، موضوع: داستانهای کوتاه از نویسندگان روسی قرن 19 م
Azzageddi
Oct 31, 2013 Azzageddi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian, 19th-century
I'm not the type who can focus my attention solely on one book--at least not when that book is well over a thousand pages, which is the case with War and Peace, which I'm currently reading. My wandering mind requires little interludes here and there to break things up. That's why I decided to read The Queen of Spades. It's nice and short and therefore will distract me just long enough without diverting my attention from Tolstoy too long.

Shamefully, I have to admit this is my first Pushkin. For s
Fernando
Sep 23, 2015 Fernando rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Gran cuento efectista de Pushkin a lo Poe, con un toque sobrenatural. Dado que trata sobre el juego de cartas, "apuesto" a que Dostoievski, que admiraba a Pushkin; disfrutó de este cuento y que tal vez se inspiró en él para escribir El Jugador.
Katriina  ❆
Pushkin wrote his books earlier than Dostoevskij, Gogol and Tolstoj, yet his style is so much easier to read. I really liked the ending too. Quick read, and I'm definitely going to read more of Pushkins works.
This is the first book I've read by this author and I really loved it. MORE please.
Catarina
Sep 10, 2014 Catarina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catarina by: Inês Beato
Este é um pequeno conto que pode ser descrito num bom provérbio: "Quem tudo quer, tudo perde."

Esta é a história de Hermann, um soldado que observava os amigos jogar todas as noites, mas nunca arriscava participar porque dizia não conseguir sacrificar o necessário na esperança de ganhar o desnecessário.

Infelizmente, a avareza é mesmo um pecado, e muitas vezes paga-se caro. Quando Hermann vê uma oportunidade de ganhar dinheiro sem correr os riscos que os amigos correm ao jogar, não olha a meios p
Ahmed Rashed
In The Queen of Spades, Pushkin uses unconventional plot developments and humor to ridicule the sentimental romance writing of his day. For example, after he leads the reader to believe that Lizaveta and Hermann will fall in love and marry, he reveals that Hermann is merely using Lizaveta to gain access to the countess and her card secret. Hermann will do almost anything to learn the secret, even woo the old woman: "I must get introduced to her," he says to himself, "and win her favour--become h ...more
Luan Morina
Aug 17, 2015 Luan Morina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ni tregim i shkurter per koprracine e njeriut... teper mire i shtjellum, teper...
Asséil Bokharouba
This is the first work I've read by the talented Pushkin.
Sophie
This is essentially the first work by Pushkin that I read and it was quite a ride!
First and foremost, Pushkin is a symbol, a myth, he is noted as the father of russian literature, and justly. He has multifaceted work that extends from lyrical poems to novels.
Specifically, this work, aside from the element of fantasy that spirals things out of control (view spoiler), foreshadows Dostoyevsky's realism, as it is about a man, Hermann
Ira Bespalova
Jul 12, 2009 Ira Bespalova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book about three months ago during the university Russian literature course. Being a short story, it contains a lot of wisdom, witty parts and subtle psychological power. This work is just another evidence of Pushkin't great talent.
Nádia Batista
Sep 21, 2014 Nádia Batista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Na minha aventura pelo universo da literatura russa, foi inevitável o encontro com Puskine. A Dama de Espadas pareceu-me um conto simples e com um tema interessante, e assim escolhi este livro para a Viagem (In)Esperada dedicada a comfy reads.

Confesso que esperava mais desta história. Aliás, não propriamente da história em si, mas sim do autor, da riqueza do mundo por ele pintado. O facto de a tradução ser estranha (não sei se propositadamente, mantendo-se fiel ao original, ou apenas um péssimo
Luís Blue Yorkie
As someone said here about the history of this book, nice to chill. A good start to learn more about Pushkin. Some touches of horror for a smooth start to the Halloween night ...
TarasProkopyuk
Aug 05, 2013 TarasProkopyuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
«Пиковая дама» - это хороший пример того как помешательство может стать наградой тем людям, которые, переступая через допустимые пределы, до последнего ищут лёгких путей.
Zari
همچنان که در علم فیزیک دو شی نمی توانند هم زمان در یک جا قرار بگیرند ,در ذهن آدمی نیز د
فکر مسلط ,نمی توانند همزیستی داشته باشند و بی تردید یکی دیگری را کنار خواهد
زد.قضیه ی این سه ورق برنده نیز, آن چنان بر ذهن هرمان مسلط شده بود که خاطره ی
دیدار با کنتس پیر را محو کرده بود و او به هر شکل و به هر ترتیب ,به گونه ای آن سه
ورق را به ذهن می آورد.هروقت دختر جوانی می دید با خود می گفت:" چه اندام متناسبی دارد ,به
سه ی دل می ماند!" ساعت را از او می پرسیدند می گفت:"هفت ,پنج دقیقه کم!" و هر آدم چاقی
را که می دی
Célia
A Dama de Espadas é um conto do escritor russo Alexander Pushkin, considerado por muitos o nome maior da poesia russa e fundador da literatura russa moderna. Nunca tinha lido nada de sua autoria e o meu conhecimento em relação a literatura russo é bastante parco, portanto pareceu-me interessante pegar neste pequeno livro, que já tinha por ler há bastante tempo.

Este conto, que se lê num par de horas, centra-se num segredo detido por uma velha condessa, que promete fazer com que quem o conheça enr
Daria Bejan
Scurta povestire despre puterea pe care il are banul asupra omului.
Edlira Dibrani
Aug 08, 2015 Edlira Dibrani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short story telling us how fate ganes are ruining our lives.
Suvi
One of those short and nifty stories that you read and probably like as well, but which you'll forget in the months to come. Pushkin has a much lighter touch than his fellow Russians, and I think that is starting to be a problem for me. Not once did I actually feel the protagonist's greed, and the matter-of-fact ending abruptly wrapped things up.
Inês Beato
Oct 25, 2014 Inês Beato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, owned-paper
Nunca tinha lido nada de Alexander Pushkin e resolvi pegar neste pequeno livro por mera curiosidade. E gostei! Por ser um conto, o desenvolvimento das personagens e da própria história é sempre superficial mas, apesar disso, "A Dama de Espadas" conseguiu ser uma obra muito interessante. O tema é essencialmente a avareza e a falta de escrúpulos, bem como a cegueira que esse egoísmo traz e que pode levar à ruína. Quem tudo quer, tudo perde, como se costuma dizer.
Andreea
Jul 23, 2015 Andreea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, 2015
When it comes to Pushkin and Balzac, I feel like a kid in a candy-shop. It's not the fact that it's another book about greed but it's witty style.
Amadea Iva
Jan 10, 2016 Amadea Iva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ko sem začela brati to knjigo me ni niti malce navduševala, govor o kartah in kup opomb me je motil, vendar pa sem se potrudila, da sem knjigo prebrala in na koncu se mi ni zdela nekaj posebnega.
Ampak, ko sem začela bolj razmišljati o sami zgodbi in kako je bila napisana, sem našla razlog kaj je bilo posebnega na tej knjigi (in ja sem prebrala razlago na koncu knjige).
Pomanjkanje pridevnikov in opisov, ki so knjigo na začetku naredilo suhoparno, se je izkazalo za nekaj predvsem zanimivega, ker n
Satyabrat Mishra
Apr 24, 2014 Satyabrat Mishra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The queen of spades is a tale about greed; sociopathy and revenge. And as usual with Pushkin's tales, a big twist in the end.
Sidharth Vardhan
"As he stared at the card it seemed to him that the queen winked one eye at him mockingly."
Hadrian
Sep 18, 2011 Hadrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine and haunting short story. Card games and cheating fate.
Stefano
Aug 28, 2015 Stefano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Russian short story about the dangers of obsession with money. Pushkin creates perversely relatable characters (Hermann the German and Lizaveta), while building an intriguing plot about a countess who supposedly has a trick to always win a Russian gambling game. Pushkin's concise yet subtle lead to a tension filled and exciting climax. My only gripe comes with the ending-- perhaps a bit too obvious, and the message heavy-handed. This hardly detracted from the engrossing, short read, ho ...more
Adriana
Jan 13, 2016 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes short stories/novellas and/or russian literature
Recommended to Adriana by: note from "Crime and Punishment"
"Paul," cried the Countess from behind the screen, "send me some new
novel, only pray don't let it be one of the present day style."

"What do you mean, grandmother?"

"That is, a novel, in which the hero strangles neither his father nor
his mother, and in which there are no drowned bodies. I have a great
horror of drowned persons."

"There are no such novels nowadays. Would you like a Russian one?"

"Are there any Russian novels? Send me one, my dear, pray send me
one!"

In this short story, we have the extr
dj
Jan 23, 2014 dj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
first written for a discussion forum:

perhaps what is most intriguing about this story is not the true nature of hermann's relationship to liz, but rather the strange metamorphosis of his motivations as the story progresses. he begins the story a man resolute in his financial prudence and refusal to gamble-- though "a gambler at heart". but what is it that causes him to so impetuously discard his convictions-- that is to say, "sacrifice the necessary in the hope of gaining the superfluous"? preci
  • Олеся: Повесть
  • Маскарад
  • Вий
  • Иуда Искариот
  • Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • The Lady with the Little Dog
  • Master and Man
  • Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida (Penguin Classics)
  • Mumu
  • A Little Hero
  • Горе от ума
In Cyrillic: Александр Пушкин

(Francophone version: Alexandre Pouchkine)

Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin was a Russian Romantic author who is considered to be the greatest Russian poet and the founder of modern Russian literature Pushkin pioneered the use of vernacular speech in his poems and plays, creating a style of storytelling—mixing drama, romance, and satire—associated with Russian literature
More about Alexander Pushkin...

“Two fixed ideas can no more exist together in the moral world than two bodies can occupy one and the same place in the physical world.” 9 likes