Start by marking “La Autopista del Sur y Otros Cuentos” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
La Autopista del Sur y...

Julio Cortázar

La Autopista del Sur y Otros Cuentos

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,610 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Qui de nous ne s'est jamais trouvé pris dans un embouteillage? Qui n'a pas tenté de tuer le temps en observant les passagers des voitures voisines, en essayant de gagner quelques mètres sur eux et en échangeant des pronostics, bons ou mauvais, sur le développement de la situation? Mais que se passe-t-il si l'embouteillage dure des jours, des semaines, des mois?
Hardcover
Published August 1st 1996 by Turtleback Books (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about La Autopista del Sur y Otros Cuentos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Autopista del Sur y Otros Cuentos

Jaimie Foster
Nov 12, 2007 Jaimie Foster rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ashley
You can't really go wrong with Cortazar. You really can't.
Rachel
Jul 15, 2010 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Borges, obviously
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Another one of those writers you probably either love or hate. I wouldn't claim to "get" all his stories, but the not-getting is the fun part.
Camila
Me encantó la forma de escribir de Julio Cortázar, yo nunca había leído nada de el pero definitivamente voy a leerlo más. Su forma de contar algo tan sencillo como un embotellamiento te atrapa desde el principio.

Esta narrado a grandes rasgos, con cambios bruscos que te causan sorpresa como ¿en que momento se enamoraron?, así pasa el tiempo, sin que te des cuenta y sin mucho detalle, dejando al lector imaginar como se le antoje la forma en que van pasando los hechos.

El cuento deja un sentimiento
Hareton Linton
როგორც მოთხრობების პირველი კრებულის წაკითხვის დროს, ამ წიგნშიც ზოგი მოთხრობა ძალიან მომეწონა და ზოგი ბოლომდე ვერც კი წავიკითხე, არ დამაინტერესა.
"კლასობანაა" ერთადერთი ლათინოამერიკული წიგნი, რომელიც მომეწონა და მიყვარს.
Laura Dăogaru
one of the most emotionaly thrilling stuff. i m in love with him
Gillian
Una colección excelente que muestra la amplitud de la carrera de Cortázar, con cuentos recopilados de cada etapa de la larga trayectoria del autor.

Y, aunque no hace falta decirlo, Cortázar es una chimba.
Daniel
Or, as "read" as I think it will ever be.

So far my favorite stories are "Final del juego" and "Los venenos." The first is about three girls that pose as statues for passing trains and the second tackles ant fumigation and young love.

As of September 2009 I have given up on finishing this. I got tired of Cortazar's games. He can tell a good story when he isn't too concerned with his tricks. I'm sure I'll reread "Final del juego" and "Los venenos" some time.
Cris
Cortazar is probably the most subtle Spanish-language writer, I've ever read. Akin to James' The Beast in the Jungle, are these narratives in this collection of stories. Wonderful, poetic language reminds me of Cuentos de Barro, but without being pretentious.
Hacia tiempo que no leía alguien tan sutil como Cortazar. Valio la pena y me recordó la nostalgia de Cuentos de Barro y los cuentos de el autor Ingles, Henry James.
Paola
Cortazar is one of my favorite authors. The title story La autopista del sur is an amazing piece of fiction. But everything he writes is interesting and thought provoking. I read almost all of Cortazar in a Spanish seminar with one of the best professors I've ever had. It is the kind of literature that requires a group so you can tease out all the hidden meanings.
Emma B
Jun 21, 2012 Emma B marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading: "La noche boca arriba" ("The Night Face Up")

I've read this story in English, and thought it was fantastic. I found the Spanish version being handed to me yesterday. This is much harder. I have to stop every third sentence and ask what something means.
Bogdan
Interesting stories, most with a odd twist somewhere. I would have liked them even more if I could understand a clear message for each and every one of them. After some, I was surprised myself to say "Ok, interesting, but what about it? Why did Julio wrote this?"
Paulina
Jul 31, 2007 Paulina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
considero "La autopista del sur" uno de los mejores cuentos cortos de Cortazar, junto con "Casa tomada" y "Final del juego". Es uno de mis autores preferidos por su narrativa y por evocar tan vivas imagenes y sentimientos para aquellos que han vivido en el exilio.
Cristina
Feb 18, 2008 Cristina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cristina by: Lucrecia Artalejo
I read one of the stories, but want to read more, I love "La Autopista del Sur," and loved loved loved it.. I wanted to be there, I wanted to get stuck somewhere and start and new life, and just like that have it end and go back to the old one. Weird I know!
Pablo Paz
Y había leido casí todos los cuentos en otras ediciones.. buenisimo el de la autopista del sur... y el de la noche boca arriba es de sus mejores cuentos.
Elena
Read the English version "Blow Up and Other Stories" if only for the Charlie Parker love song, "The Pursuer." An author to envy.
Cirene
Mar 29, 2013 Cirene is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Historias de cronopios y de famas es genial. Pesadillas es muy fuerte y Continuidad de los parques, uno de mis preferidos.
Zaida Machuca Inostroza
Leí este libro cuando estaba en el liceo. Me costó entenderlo, pero me gustó.
Dj Spark
awesome, though my spanish skills didn't help much
Francisco Zuniga

Cortazar es el genio de los cuentos cortos.
Liliana
La Autopista del Sur was excellent!
Isabel
hermosos suenos, fuertes pensamientos
Andreea
Andreea is currently reading it
Orsolya
Orsolya marked it as to-read
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Maggie Hermann
Maggie Hermann marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Pedro Páramo / El Llano en llamas (Colección Booket, #2038)
  • Boquitas pintadas
  • El juguete rabioso
  • Ojos de perro azul
  • Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte
  • Julio Cortázar: Rayuela (Critical Guides to Spanish Texts)
  • La noche de Tlatelolco
  • Sobre héroes y tumbas
  • Antología de la literatura fantástica
  • Poesía completa
  • Tiempo de silencio
  • El cuarto de atrás
  • Historias fantásticas
  • The President
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.
More about Julio Cortázar...
Hopscotch Bestiario Cronopios and Famas Blow-Up and Other Stories Todos los fuegos el fuego

“Y en la antena de la radio flotaba locamente la bandera con la cruz roja, y se corría a ochenta kilómetros por hora hacia las luces que crecían poco a poco, sin que ya se supiera bien por qué tanto apuro, por qué esa carrera en la noche entre autos desconocidos donde nadie sabía nada de los otros, donde todo el mundo miraba fijamente hacia adelante, exclusivamente hacia adelante.” 0 likes