Blank-133x176

Miguel Hernández

Antología poética

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Incluye:
Poemas Sueltos I; Perito en lunas; Poemas Sueltos II; El rayo que no cesa; Poemas Sueltos III; Viento del Pueblo; Poemas Sueltos IV; EL Hombre acecha; Cancionero y Romancero de ausencias;
422 pages
Published 1992 by PPU (first published April 1st 1970)

Rick
Hernandez was born early in the 20th century in southern Spain, a peasant and a poet, he lived only to the age of 31, dying of TB while a prisoner of Franco in 1941. He published four small books of poetry but was a hero in Spain and the Spanish speaking world, praised by Lorca, Paz, Neruda, and many others. The New York Review of Books (NYRB) publishing has restored Don Share’s excellent 1997 translation of Hernandez’s work to print for American audiences.

Early Poems (1934-36), the first sectio...more
Forrest Gander
Who can pull off such a straight, ordinary, sentimental line as this:

"we have so many things to talk about,
my friend, my very best friend."

Not many poets (although one would be George Kalamaras, who I see has also appreciated this selection). Those lines end the elegy to Ramon Sijé and they capture one level of the diction and tonality that make these poems-- and the excellent, sound-sensitive translations-- so strong. This is the potato-plain sincerity of Hernández, a sheep-herder poet who refe...more
George
This is the re-release of only the Hernandez portion of the classic book of Miguel Hernandez and Blas de Otero from Beacon Publishers. I'd recommend that book first, but the Hernandez portion as reproduced here is certainly one of my favorite books of poetry. Few poets have as much heart of Hernandez.
César Lasso
"Mujer, mujer: te quiero cercado por las balas,
ansiado por el plomo...

"Menos tu vientre, todo es oscuro;
menos tu vientre, claro y profundo...

Un grito de amor a la vida en medio de una guerra absurda.
Nicholas During
A beautiful slim collection of poetry, that encompasses, I think, everything that poetry should be about: courage and heart and bravery and feeling and anger and fear and regret and love and lust and sadness and death. Maybe not everything but a lot of things. Hernandez was born a shepherd and never got a tradition or good schooling, so it makes sense that his poems are direct and emotive and his passion is felt by the reader. No one would doubt him of his sincerity. But he is not an artist prou...more
angela
Ya sé que es Miguel Hernández, pero aún así...
Me he leído su antología completa, saltándome algunos poemas y la verdad es que no me ha conmovido demasiado.
Vale, quizá un par de poemas sí que me han puesto los pelos de punta... pero lo que son los demás, no me han aportado nada nuevo.
Supongo que en este caso la culpa la he tenído yo, que me he metido a leer poesía sin tener idea de ella, sin haber sido "educada" para leerla previamente... y encima, como este poeta es tan sumamente sencillo......more
Joe
Notes to Self: Formally somewhat more conventional and effusive than Lorca can be. Some stunning elegies. Volume features several translators though their approach seems generally consistent. Also valuable to think of Hernandez as a war/prisoner poet and, as these events happened in quick succession, there's a rather dramatic shift in tone and purpose in the second half of his work. Feel like I'm missing one too many valuable poems, however. Somebody give me a collected.
Andre
Hernandez's poetry really challenges me..... He has such a reverence for the vibrations of this earth. He attains a unique balance of scornful surrender and a wild, persistent discontent for life. His poetry speaks with a vitality that knows more than this world. However, this vitality is revealed from seeps that nature offers to us.
Calm yet fiery. A duality that is not so common to find in poetry. A duality that is not so common to find in nature.
Arwen56
Ropas con su olor

Ropas con su olor, paños con su aroma.
Se alejó en su cuerpo, me dejó en sus ropas.
Lecho sin calor, sábana de sombra.
Se alejó en su cuerpo, me dejó en sus ropas.

Harper Curtis
This is a beautiful little book, small and portable. I can leave my hard cover "Selected" bilingual edition of Hernández at home and carry this when I need a dose on the road. Hernández makes an inspiring companion.
Angelo
Some of the most hauntingly beautiful poetry I have ever read. Hernandez' story is heartbreaking, as so many from the Spanish Civil War are. His love poetry is extraordinary. I strongly recommend this book.
Amélie Black Poulain
Amo tanto sus poemas que no me importa tanto que me haya puesto aun peor de lo que ya estaba antes de leerlo. Tal vez fue un poco masoquista leer este libro en este momento.
Wendy Brown-Baez
Miguel Hernandez strikes a chord in me that is deep. I love the way he uses language and especially his rhythm in the Spanish, his courage and his cry for justice
George
This is a remarkable more recent translation of the poems of Miguel Hernandez, a monumental gathering of Hernandez's poetry.
Yongxi
Yongxi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
LaPat
LaPat marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Carolina
Carolina marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Belen
Belen is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2014
Simple but elegant 0 0 Jun 28, 2007 08:47AM
Miguel Hernández, born in Orihuela (Alicante Province), was a leading 20th century Spanish poet and playwright.

Hernández was born to a poor family and received little formal education; he published his first book of poetry at 23, and gained considerable fame before his death. He spent his childhood as a goatherd and farmhand, and was, for the most part, self-taught, although he did receive basic e...more
More about Miguel Hernández...
El rayo que no cesa Viento del Pueblo El hombre acecha/Cancionero y romancero de ausencias Songbook of Absences Obra poética completa (Alianza tres)

“Yo nací en mala luna.
Tengo la pena de una sola pena
que vale más que toda la alegría.”
1 likes