Start by marking “Glory in Death (In Death, #2)” as Want to Read:
Glory in Death (In Death, #2)

Glory in Death (In Death #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  27,234 ratings  ·  1,185 reviews
It is 2058, New York City. In a world where technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion—in the heart....

Even in 2058, when genetic testing usually weeds out any violent hereditary traits before they can bloom, murder still happens. The first victim is found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second is murdered in her ow
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published 2000 by Recorded Books (first published December 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Glory in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory in Death

Buggy
Opening Line: "The dead were her business."

I originally started JD Robb’s In Death series because it was recommended to me by well… everyone. And Yes it is good. In fact I ended up liking this 2nd instalment even more then the first, however (except for Roarke) I don't totally love it either. The writing is top notch and Robb spins an easy to read, dark mystery filled with lots of interesting suspects(including Roarke again.) But I’m just not a fan of the police procedurals and therefore large p
Shawna
May 10, 2010 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense, tough heroines, & mysterious, dangerous, deliciously sexy alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: Mom & several GR friends
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Okay, I think I'm officially hooked on this series. After reading and loving Naked in Death, I immediately jumped right into reading this, and it's another great book in an addictive series.

I find the futuristic elements interesting, but I like that it's not too distracting to the story and characters. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a complex character who I sort of feel a love/hate relationship towards because her toughness, dedication to justice, and devotion to representi
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View review on Under the Covers

I WANT TO MARRY YOU, ROARKE!!!!!

I'm going to use this review as an excuse to post more Gandy Candy.

Opening line: “The dead were her business.”

From that first line, I was sucked in. There is something about Robb’s writing that just sucks me in completely. I love the way she describes things. I love the way the words flow and I love that there’s this sense of detachment or coldness in the overall tone of her writing. It makes the mystery of the story that much more
valee
I'm so happy I have found another series this good. I must admit I wasn't expecting to like it this much. What makes me the most happy person on Earth is that I heard every book in this series is as good as this first 2 and as there are 30 more of them still to read I will be extremely entertained for quite a while.

For what I have read and been told, every book in this series solves a different crime while Eve's and Roarke's relationship develops. I must say that this too have become one of my a
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Science Fiction for people who don't like Science Fiction!

Glory in Death is the second book in J.D. Robb’s wildly popular, futuristic, In Death series, and just like the first book, it’s an exciting, gritty, thrilling read.

The Story -

Two prominent women and a third ‘accidental’ have been found with their throats slashed, and as primary on the case, Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has her hands full. With the list of suspects rising along with the death count, Eve is mentally and emotionally pushe
Duchess Nicole
I know this is first and foremost a murder mystery series but I can't stop thinking about Roarke. Let me get those pesky details out of the way and then commence the gushing, mnkay?

So the opening scene is once again Eve being called to the scene of a grisly murder. The chick's throat is slashed....blah blah....suspect must hate women...blah...Eve is super duper intuitive...blah, blah blah blah...lots of rich society people.....blah...reporters, policemen and detectives.

There! Necessary info out
Eastofoz
Dec 08, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like a dollop of romance with their futuristic mystery novel
Overall “Glory in Death” is a good mystery/suspense story but if you’re looking for an equal balance of romance, seeing as it’s listed as « romantic suspense », you won’t get that here. The story is relatively quick paced and you have a good futuristic feel, but I kept wanting to read more about the growing intimacy between Roarke and Eve. The book is more borderline fiction than romance I thought because Robb tends to gloss over the steam a little too often and focus more on the rest of the sto ...more
P.A. Lupton
I listened to this book on audio. I don't know if it was because the narrator was so good (I read book 1) or if it was the story, but I liked this book a lot more than book 1. This is a fantastic series.

Eve is a fantastic character. She's tough, kick ass, smart, and she has hints of a troubled past. I like that the author doesn't dump a ton of information on us about her past, she gives tidbits in each book.

Roarke is sexy, arrogant, rich, and sensitive. I absolutely love him as a hero. These t
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK: JANUARY 24, 2014 - 5 STARS
Narrator: Cristine McMurdo-Wallis

Naturally, I couldn't remember any of the 9 In Death books that I read pre-2008 and to find a review or book blurb on GR is not easy because all anyone really talks about, or remembers, or bothers with, is Roarke. It's nothing but Roarke, Roarke, Roarke, from start to finish; from one book to the next.

Long after NR stops writing the series, I and countless other In Death fans, will still be smitten with him. Today, n
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ New York Police and Security Lieutenant, Eve Dallas, and international Irish billionaire, Roarke. Past, present, future - what a couple!. But this, the second chapter in their relationship, isn’t all smooth sailing. There is a compelling confrontation that bears listening to twice. Up shot? I’ll take Roarke, even hot under the collar. At the end of this eruption, Eve asks Roarke why he wants her.
“Why?” He tilted his head. “That's a tricky one. Could it be your serenity, your quiet manner,
Tilly Slaton

At first, I was pretty irritated. I mean, seriously? I wasn’t sure what was going to happen but the way things suddenly changed, I was just a wee bit bummed.

Naked in Death was a wonderful book. Eve and Roarke shared a fun and intimate relationship. The bad guys were toast. Life was grand.

In the beginning of this book, the shit hit the fan to say the least. This isn’t a spoiler really. It’s just a .. “well okay then” moment.

“No, you never,” he interrupted coolly. “Never once risked your pride by
Brittany B.
3.5 Stars (though I almost gave it 4- until I wrote the review and realized I was disappointed in NR)

I'm sorry to my In Death friends, I'd love comments on any difference of opinion. I like the characters, Roarke is a god and Eve is seriously growing on me. But Nora Roberts rarely gives it her all.

Well, I know this is just a book. And I need to suspend disbelief a little to enjoy many of my favorite authors, series, books, movies, etc.
But serial killers are not like this at all. I don't mean
Barbara M.
<5 Stars...I LOVED it!

Not as good as the first...but oh my it's still a 5 Star!!!

I know now that I'm in trouble with this series...how in the world am I going to be able to read anything else now that I've started?! I'll try to make myself quit after the next one in line because I don't want to burn myself out...but HOW will I do it?!

The only concerns I have...and I mean the only (at this point) is...Is Roarke going to continue to be the suspect in every case AND where do Roarke and Eve go fr
Leah
Okay, I have to say again that I can't believe I waited so long to start this series. I. Love. It. I want to marry it. Well, Roarke. I want to marry Roarke. And Eve is awesome. I don't think I've ever really liked a heroine so much. I mean, really. How the hell can she be so damn awesome? And the lucky bitch has Roarke wrapped around her finger! Aside from them, I love the cases. I'm sure some people probably think that the series gets repetitive or monotonous, but I think that the cases Eve sol ...more
Emily May

I intended to write a full review of this but there's not that much which needs to be said. A lot of what I mentioned in my review of Naked in Death also applies to the second novel. Excellent psychological murder mystery with a small romance story that just complements the novel as a whole and doesn't swamp it. Interesting characters, easy to read and even a dose of smut to go with it! Do you really want anything else?

Glamdring

"You know people," she argued. "You have a way of getting inside their heads. Nothing ever surprises you."
"You do," he murmured. "Continually."

I wasn’t supposed to read this one just now but once I finished “Naked in death” I wanted to see how Eve and Roarke relationship was evolving so I opened “Glory in death” to read the beginning and got sucked in.

Like with the previous one, the book is centered on the police investigation who is, except for the end that I found rushed, well written. Here
Edee Fallon
It's official. I'm addicted.
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Actual rating: 4.5*

For my review of the first book, I decided to write a list of reasons why you should read this series. Since there are over 37 freaking books, I've decided to just keep adding reasons as I continue with the series. You can find the list here.

Favorite quotes:
“My late unlamented father taught me one valuable lesson. 'Boy', he would say to me in the thick brogue of a champion drunk, 'the only way to fight is to fight dirty. The only place to hit is below the belt.'”

“Fuck him."
F
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: October 2012
It took me forever to finish it :D but it was really cool!

2nd Read: August 2014
We just met another character that we're still reading about... I love this!
Samantha

I'm really falling in love with these books! The mysteries are in depth and complex, even if I do figure them out way early. It usually takes something exceptional to pull one over on me, so I can't dock a book because it fails to do so, especially if it's quite well written. (I realize that sounds kind of like a humble-brag, but how else do I put it? lol)

I'm glad I got the first 4 books of this series on sale, because I'll be inhaling them. It's also comforting to know I have many many more in
Mojca
One of the initial reservations I had about this series was the doubt about the “readability” of a series with the same leading characters, Eve Dallas and Roarke. I mean, wouldn’t it get boring after a while?
The first book read like a “standard” romance to me. Boy meets girl, falls for her, girl falls right back, they defeat a murderer, and live happily ever after. What’s to add?

Well, my worries and doubts were completely unfounded if this second book is be any indication. Because there was plen
 Anna Wicked Book Addict (Wicked Book Blog)
While the story is initially what grabs you when you choose a book, isn't it the characters that keep you reading?

In this series, they certainly are.

The second book shows how the relationship between Eve and Roake evolves.
Eve is reluctant and scared of commitment which makes Roarke furious at most times. So you know what he does? Give her a taste of her own medicine. Yes, he's a vicious little smartass but we love him for that ;)

"Today's the day that we start this war
Make up your mind and dec
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

I first read Naked in Death last December and really enjoyed it. I ordered a ton of books in the series and vowed to glut myself, but somehow found myself buried in other books and other commitments by the time they arrived. I put them to the side, promising to make time, but somehow never did. Recently, I had a road trip coming up and was trolling for an audiobook to pass the time. I heard Sophia raving about the Naked in Death audiobook and decided to give it a shot. Boy, am I glad
ஐ Canan ஐ `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._
Bir maceranın sonuna daha geldik...Ve ben merak içinde, sabırsızlıkla okudum ve bitti.
Eve ile Roarke yine harikaydı..yaramazlar! :D
Olay, hikaye, kurgu, sonuç tatmin ediciydi.Kendimle gurur duyuyorum zira katili en başından beri tahmin ettim ama yazar emin olamamam için resmen herşeyi yapmış.Bitene kadar acaba o mu? dedim.
Neyse...Ünlü bir "kadın" savcının boğazından bıçaklanarak öldürülmesiyle kovalamacamız başlıyor, ve yetenekli teğmenimiz Eve bu göreve getiriliyor.Akabinde bir cinayet daha işle
Mahlet
This series continues to suck me in. Lt. Eve Dallas takes a serious turn in her relationship with the sexy Irishman Rourke - he asks her to move in! He no longer thinks he's falling in love with Eve; Roarke is now head over heels in love with her! I loved Eve struggling to reconcile her growing feelings for Roarke with her need for independence. Loved Eve confessing to the department's psych profiler that she wore one of Rourke's shirts while he was away on business...and "is that okay?" So cute ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I didn't think I could love Roarke more than I did before, but man! He's amazing! Oh, Eve is great too ;)

Another suspenseful mystery that has me going till the end. There was a lot more love talk in this one, but it didn't take away from the mystery. And the fact that Roarke came to her rescue and proposed? That was boss.

Definitely looking forward to more of these!
Corrine
A decent enjoyable addition to a very good (so far) series. I'm not "in love" with Roarke yet, like most readers seem to be, but I like him and Eve together - just wish they were together a little more! BUT this is mystery, not romance, and the mystery was really good. B+
rameau
Eve Dallas and the lot continue their investigations in the second In Death novel. I’m rounding the rating up because the mystery wasn’t quite as predictable (even though it was) as in the first book and because this time I was happily distracted by Eve’s and Roarke’s relationship.

No, Roarke still doesn’t make me swoon and Eve has her annoying moments, but their interactions are entertaining. Roberts apparently realised she’d rushed things with their relationship and took things back a bit, only
Sandra
Roarke, Billionaire & Eve Dallas, homicide cop are still in the getting to know you, move in together, love you maybe stage when the latest murder case impinges on their lives. Roarke knows too many people and once again they are being murdered.

We also are witness to the first steps of Peabody on the way to becoming a detective and the beginnings of the friendship between Eve & Nadine Furst, Channel 75 Head Crime Reporter.

Uncharacteristically, Eve pressures the wrong suspect and an innoc
Miki
เล่มนี้แบบกุ๊กกิ๊กกันมากเลยพระเอกนางเอก
แอบหักดาวด้วยความหมั่นไส้​ อิอิ​ ทรมานใจคนโสด
J.D. Robb : Glory in Death (Spoiler Zone) 62 86 Oct 28, 2014 12:52PM
J.D. Robb : Not Quite Right 11 43 Jul 25, 2013 11:33AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * Glory In Death Discussion Thread *SPOILERS* 32 336 Mar 01, 2013 01:52PM
Readers of Kindle...: Glory In Death #2 13 24 Feb 22, 2012 01:10PM
Romance Readers R...: [Buddy Read] Glory in Death by J.D. Robb 41 34 Dec 27, 2011 07:19AM
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Honest Illusions
  • The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)
  • Now You See Her
  • Cold As Ice (Ice, #2)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) Promises in Death (In Death, #28)

“We're standing here, beat to shit, walking away from a crime scene where either or both of us could have bought it, and you're asking me to marry you?"
"Perfect timing.”
145 likes
“I’m not going anywhere.” Gently, he stroked her back, cradled her head. Was there anything more astounding or more frightening to a man, he wondered, than a strong woman in tears?

“I’ve been right here all along. I love you, Eve, almost more than I can stand.”

“I need you. I can’t help it. I don’t want to.”

“I know.” He eased back, tucking a hand under her chin to lift her face to his.

“We’re going to have to deal with it.” He kissed one wet cheek, then the other. “I really can’t do without you.”
17 likes