Start by marking “Kidnapped: His Innocent Mistress” as Want to Read:
Kidnapped: His Innocent Mistress

Kidnapped: His Innocent Mistress

If I accept his offer to be his mistress, I could have the finest silks, the best carriage and be transformed from ugly duckling to a pampered, pretty swan! And although I would feel a virtuous pride in turning down the wicked rake, I also have an unmaidenly interest in exactly what the role would entail....Catriona is doing her best to resist the skillful seduction of the ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kidnapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kidnapped

Julie (jjmachshev)
Mar 09, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Meh. Nicola Cornick is an author I can normally count on to provide a couple of hours of good historical romance reading, but "Kidnapped: His Innocent Mistress" wasn't one of her better stories. She states in her intro that this book is her homage to RLS and it was easy to see that, however, the light-heartedness usually present was just missing for me in this tale.

When Catriona is left destitute and homeless after the deaths of both parents, she discovers her father actually had a brother! She'
Harlequin Historical
Written in 1st person

I was quite shocked to discover this Historical was written in the first person pov. I questioned if I would be able to connect with all the characters which I have had problems with in other 1st person pov's. However, I did not experience that issue with Kidnapped. Nicola is a master at creating a complete scene no matter what. I felt what the other characters were feeling even though I wasn't told. Now about the book itself.

Catriona is alone in the world except for some fa
Jaye
Jul 10, 2013 Jaye rated it did not like it
The title implies that he kidnapped her and made her his mistress. Wrong.

They were kidnapped together. She wasn't his mistress (they're SORTA cousins, 2-3 times removed) and shared at most a few kisses. They didn't have relations until after they got married.

Characters are kind of lame. Disliked the H with his weird morals and ethics and the HH with her internal tweenage thoughts and envies. Thumbs down.
Maura
Jean Smith
Apr 15, 2016 Jean Smith rated it really liked it
I like the way this book is written as if the heroine is telling the story, or reading from her diary. I particularly like the way the author has started each chapter with a brief key point of what the chapter is about, as each chapter unfolds this key point is uppermost in your mind to see if the author has kept to the point and she does. The story is complete and tells both sides of the story well without the need for tedious repetition. The charters remain in character throughout and the stor ...more
Hoga Williams
Dec 21, 2014 Hoga Williams rated it liked it
This is super chick lit, but story is quick and to the point. This is not normally what I would read, but I got it and decided to stick to reading it. It was a nice surprise as it is historically correct. I was in Scotland in August and at the places that she used in the novel. It makes more sense trying to imagine what it would have been like in ancient days. Personally, I can't believe that Catriona would have been able to purchase such beautiful clothes as I am not sure if such quality would ...more
Maud
Aug 23, 2015 Maud rated it liked it
It felt like a sort of Plagiarism under the cover of a tribute to R.L. Stevenson.

As for the story. Well written. The intimate scenes were a bit too graphic in my opinion. Sometimes less is more.
The period authenticity scale tips to the unbelievable side. But that's more or less to be expected.
Finally at about 85% of the book the story takes an turn for the worse.
What is it with heroines and their obsession for the magical 3 little words?
Mary
Jul 24, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
I loved reading Catriona's and Neil's story - from a fast meeting to a serious of quick and sometimes horrible experiences. I do like happy endings - too bad some of the 'bad guys' didn't get theirs.
Amber
Mar 24, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much out of this book. The surprise was more than pleasant :). The only reason it doesn't get five stars is because I would have appreciated a longer denouement. I'd have to give this 4.8 stars.
Joycee
Feb 22, 2013 Joycee rated it it was ok
OK...not one of my faves from Ms. Cornick. Maybe it's because the heroine is not even in her twenties yet (I know - I'm "ageist"). Plus I'm not a big fan of first-person narrative either. But it hasn't put me off Ms. Cornick's work altogether.
rivka
Apr 12, 2009 rivka rated it liked it
Amusing.

Inspired by RL Stevenson's Kidnapped, and written mostly in the style of books of that era, this book can perhaps be forgiven its frequent over-the-top-ness.
Angelica
Short and sweet. It's different from most Regency Romances, but it still has the excitement that I look for in my favorite romance sub-genre.
Rebekah Redstone
Rebekah Redstone rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
Shuriu
Shuriu rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Christin
Christin rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Anne Samson
Anne Samson rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Kimm
Kimm rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2010
Khothy
Khothy rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Mskychick
Mskychick rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Karen [Nose In A Book Blog]
Karen [Nose In A Book Blog] rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Bettye McKee
Bettye McKee rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Mary-kathleen
Mary-kathleen rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Rebekah Redstone
Rebekah Redstone rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
SuperWendy
SuperWendy rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
harvey trivitt
harvey trivitt rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Jayne
Jayne rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2011
  • The Rake's Inherited Courtesan
  • Her Montana Man
  • An Unladylike Offer
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • The Shocking Lord Standon (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #3)
  • The Viscount's Kiss (Kiss Me, #4)
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • The Rogue's Disgraced Lady
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
International bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes romantic historical mysteries and witty and passionate Regency romance. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Nicol
More about Nicola Cornick...