Start by marking “Sable” as Want to Read:
Sable

Sable

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Jon Sable had it all, including a lovely wife and family--until poachers took it all away from him, killing those he loved and leaving him for dead.

But only the civilized part of him died, and a savage instinct and hunger for vengeance survived. Now Jon Sable is ready to even the score...and then some.

From the pages of the award-winning Jon Sable, Freelance comic book come
Published July 15th 2001 by Tor Books (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sable

Mike (the Paladin)
Yes, I gave this one 5 stars. I admit up front that this is an entirely subjective rating and reflects the fact that I really like this book. Are you looking for philosophical questions, a story filled with flowery prose a volume that will appeal to the most picky literary snob?

Well this "ain't" it.

This is pure action brain candy. Don't get me wrong there actually are emotional depths to the protagonist. The character, Jon Sable devastated and shattered goes for a bloody revenge and is almost d
Susan
The book started off in the "ago" when Jon was living with is family in Africa. Even knowing what was going to happen, I had to read it.

His research was exemplary (I learned new words!). The emotion was heart-rending, because I knew how it would end. I made sure when I approached that part that I had a box of Kleenex handy.

BUT having a more detailed insight into Jon's mind made the story better.

SO, I have the comics (even the new mini-series), the novel and even the (extremely) short-lived TV s
John Roberts iii
As a fan of the original comic series,I had to pick this one up the other day when I saw it on the shelf at the book store (actually,I ordered it online for 1/2 the price a day later).
Knowing Jon Sables background story already I would have liked something new story wise at first,but once starting the book I welcomed the extra insights elaborated on in the novel.And since I rarely read comics these days it's nice to read a good novel centered around one of my favorite comics characters.
Perhap
Sean Welch
I picked up a mint copy of the First Comics trade of this series at St. Vinnie's for seventy-nine cents! It's one of those great comics I missed back when, but I am glad I caught up. I enjoyed the circuitous timeline because it kept me guessing about all the details.
Michael Sorensen
I started reading JSF back in the first days of it's creation. I have the original series from # 1 on to where Mike Grell left the book. This series was one of the best comic stories I ever read, bar none. The book, as written by Mike Grell met my expectations and more. Thanks Mike, for a work well done.
Paul
OK, I gotta admit this was a guilty pleasure on my part as I have all the original comics from the series. It ain't Heminway or Steinbeck, folks. But if you're into a bit of escapism once in a while, this one does the trick.
R.L. Burton
Oct 05, 2013 R.L. Burton is currently reading it
135 pages into this action packed, fun read, and I love it. I wish there were more! Kind of like "The Punisher" but in Africa and he's a game warden. Updates to come :-)
Chompa
I really have fond memories of the Jon Sable stories. Those were some of the first "non-superhero" comics I ever read and just loved them.
William Carr
William Carr is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
♅
marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Russel Grundy
Russel Grundy marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Kenny McGinnis
Kenny McGinnis marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Jack Stubblefield
Jack Stubblefield marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Bluesman
Bluesman marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Neil Sarver
Neil Sarver marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mike Grell (born 1947) is a comic book writer and artist.

Grell studied at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, the Chicago Academy of Fine Art, and took the Famous Artists School correspondence course in cartooning. His entry into the comics industry was in 1972, as an assistant to Dale Messick on the Brenda Starr comic strip.

In 1973 Grell moved to New York, and began his long relationship with
More about Mike Grell...
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters Green Arrow, Vol. 1: Hunters Moon Showcase Presents: Warlord, Vol. 1 The Hunters (Green Arrow The Longbow Hunters, #1) Batman: Masque