Start by marking “Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)” as Want to Read:
Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)

Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier #2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,029 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Roll Call: The Crew of the U.S.S. Excalibur:
Captain Mackenzie Calhoun: An unorthodox, decisive young captain who loves his crew and his ship, and loves testing their limits even more.

Commander Shelby: A woman of strong opinions and strong values, Shelby never hesitated to tell her captains when she thought they were wrong, and Mackenzie Calhoun won't be any exception.

Mass Market Paperback, 151 pages
Published July 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Void, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Void

Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinHow Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford
Best Star Trek Books
113th out of 245 books — 194 voters
Untamed by Madeline DyerMoon 514 by Drew BrineyThe One by J.K. AccinniAlien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniEvil Among Us by J.K. Accinni
Young Adult Sci-Fi
119th out of 137 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 10, 2008 Azar rated it liked it
Better than the first one! Calhoun is more tolerable, thanks largely in part to the relationship between him and Commander Shelby, now that the cast is assembled we're getting to see some of our more minor characters shine, and the mission is starting to become interesting. I'm torn on the subject of Burgoyne, though--while the double-gendered pronouns drive me up the wall...I like the character well enough. In fact, God help me, I can't seem to stop picturing John Barrowman in the role! ;-)
Oct 12, 2008 Fil rated it liked it
Definetely more of that ST flavor though I think the third book is where the series really takes off.
Sean Randall
Apr 16, 2009 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2009 Libby rated it liked it
3.5 Stars - and I'm just not rating it higher because it's just a quick, light read, exactly what it should be but not 4 stars. I found the first one a bit more intriguing. However, it appears that the first four books make a whole so they should all be considered together. The New Frontier series is a great ST read and should be picked up by any Trek lover missing the TV shows.
I'm digging the redemption of Shelby. She was an annoying character for five minutes on TNG, so I like that David has fleshed her out and given her real character here. I also like that Soleta has been slightly toned down, is a little more Vulcan than Romulan, and seems to be finding her groove. I imagine an encounter with Ambassador Spock would have just that affect on an impressionable young half-Vulcan.

So far, the story is progressing nicely and I'm liking it.
Dec 15, 2009 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A great idea, but this mini-book format makes for a choppy story, as it's basically a big book, the 'pilot episode' for a brand new Trek series, chopped into four smaller books. The two middle ones feel like mostly set up, so don't stand on their own very well.

I do like the new crew, but the format bugged me.
Aug 08, 2010 Dianah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, 100-books
As much as I enjoyed the first book and couldn't wait to see how the cliffhanger would be resolved I was immediately struck with hesitation when I saw the cover of book #2. Shelby. On my list of least favorite Star Trek characters Shelby is very close to the top. I convinced myself there was some hope. Firstly, I had no choice if I was going to find out what happened to one of my favorite characters in House of Cards who was caught in the cliffhanger. Secondly, Peter David has previously turned ...more
Leisuresuitlarry rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Jun 17, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, fiction
Upon seeing the character of Shelby on the cover, I nearly stopped reading the series. I disliked every second of her presence on TNG. But as soon as I started this book, I gobbled it up hungrily. The new characters get more and more nuanced and compelling, and even Shelby is quite tolerable (or, at times, exasperated enough by the other characters that it's worth watching her rage). The political situation in sector 221-G grows ever more complex, and Captain Calhoun grapples with the difference ...more
Jan 16, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it
I was hesitant about accepting Shelby, but Peter David has done a good job with her character, and in crafting the other characters as well.
Ben Timmo
Ben Timmo rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Jonathan Moss
May 02, 2012 Jonathan Moss rated it liked it
Now that we're dealing only with the principle characters of the Excalibur, things take a better turn.

I'm enjoying where the series is going, but I also feel that there is too much going on for just four very short novellas to cover.

These books are fun and I can't wait to keep reading them.
Jun 07, 2013 Franzi rated it really liked it
In (Very) Short:

+ easy, breezy read
+ new adventure, new crew, new problem and hence no entangling with existing story lines
+ divers group of characters and aliens esp. those not common to the occasional Star Trek viewer
+ multiple perspectives from different crew members
- it's the length of a novella rather than a novel and thus only deals with individual parts of the overall story line

My Opinion:

Just like the first book, House of Cards, this story is quite short and crisp. Maybe even a little sh
Rich Meyer
Feb 15, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
The second of Peter David's New Frontier novels continues the story of Captain MacKenzie Calhoun, and does so with David's particular style of good characterization and action. A lot of new and old characters are brought together and this reads like a proper Star Trek episode.
Apr 09, 2013 Phillip rated it liked it
To be continued? I see what's going on here... I am tempted to buy the next book in the series, but I'm beginning to have a problem with this series -- there are a lot if people who want to "Star Wars" "Star Trek." They want Starfleet personnel breaking rules, making wisecracks, thumbing their noses at authority. But that's not "Star Trek" -- that's not how 24th century Starfleet graduates act. Even on DS9, the Starfleet crew lives the values of the Federation. If its not for you, then don't sti ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Continues to be setup, and not as strong as the first book because we're no longer getting flashbacks, but nonetheless, good writing.
This is a brilliant concept, introducing relatively new characters into a familiar franchise but in their own section of the universe. It’s a self-contained entity so there is no disparity between the show and the books like with some of the other adaptions from TV shows and in this case you get internal perspectives of the characters. In short well written (and often times TV adaption books are not) with fun characters I look forward to hearing more from!
Jan 18, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it
Ends with a pretty nice twist/cliff hanger. This series would be a great blueprint for a new Star Trek TV series.
Andy Luke
Andy Luke rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
May 10, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
Star Trek: The Freak Show continues! There are sci-fi quickies that you can finish in a weekend, and then there are these things that you can finish in a sitting with a bowl a cereal. It's pretty light reading because it's entirely constructed of predictable tropes. Granted, these are tropes you never see in Trek, but tropes nonetheless. Also, this is, at most, two chapters in the middle of a larger book, but for some reason, the publisher decided to package them individually, not unlike snack f ...more
Jamie Mccay
Jul 20, 2014 Jamie Mccay rated it it was amazing
I read it as part of the New Frontier 4 book collection. Like the first book, I loved it, there is humour, drama and suspense. This will appeal to star trek virgins and old school trekkies alike! I can't wait to read book three.
Brian Lewis
Jul 29, 2014 Brian Lewis rated it liked it
Although I enjoy reading about the Thallonians, the book still has issues with it's poorly developed characters. Thankfully, it's a small book. I read it through with the hope that there would be better plot in the larger books, and a toning down of the overly obnoxious crew members.
Aug 21, 2015 Johnny rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
The book is well written, nothing earth shattering, but it's NEW TREK. A new ship in a new area, with new characters. My love of Star Trek will carry me through this series quite handily.
Nov 02, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
There are funny little moments, and there's the overall arching narrative, but I don't feel it's as good as the Destiny series by David Mack, and it's not super. I'm going to try some more modern Stark Trek novels by Kirsten Beyer now.
Dan Quigley
Jan 13, 2015 Dan Quigley rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek-books
Satyajeet rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Amy Softa
Jul 23, 2015 Amy Softa rated it liked it
This book was better than the last. I probably would have even given the last one a higher rating if these books weren’t in serial form. I have a feeling that is going to be my biggest complaint, the books should have been combined into larger reads.I’m starting to come around to the shorter length though by thinking of them as if they were weekly episodes from the TV series. Helps a bit. I’ll get over it.

I am starting to dig this Star Trek world though and its cast of new Trek characters. The c
Feb 21, 2016 Loki rated it really liked it
The rest of the cast is introduced, and the actual mission begins, and all the fun I mentioned in my review of the first volume continues. Mr David, you have the conn.
Aarøn VE
Jul 16, 2016 Aarøn VE rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-trek-who
Mostly set up, introducing characters, setting stages, and as the first one, ending on a cliff hangers. Super excited to continue on.
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Avatar Book Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • First Strike (Star Trek, #79; Invasion!, #1)
  • Tunnel Through the Stars (Star Trek: The Dominion War, #3)
  • Time's Enemy (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, #16; Invasion, #3)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • All Good Things...
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David...

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • The Two Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)
  • Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)
  • Restoration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)