Start by marking “Tong Lashing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tong Lashing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #3)

Tong Lashing (Sir Apropos of Nothing #3)

It's hard to find a lesser man than Apropos: a con man, a knave, a scalawag...and those are his finer points. This time, Apropos winds up a stranger in a strange land called "Chinpan," populated by those who speak a different language and live by a code of honor, neither of which Apropos can comprehend. And yet it is here that he begins to examine his life and question ...more
Published May 24th 2005 by Pocket Star Books (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Tong Lashing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tong Lashing

Aelvana
Oct 27, 2014 Aelvana rated it did not like it
This is the third in the series about Sir Apropos of Nothing. If you ask me, maybe he should've stopped with the first book, which was witty, fresh, and a brisk read. Apropos himself remains a compelling character: the typical anti-hero turned on its head, a man so lucky, to paraphrase the book, that it runs in BOTH directions. But nearly everything else about the book dragged it down. Bad jokes about D&D players, bad puns everywhere... the humor, in my case, worked against it far more than ...more
Christy Stewart
Not as funny as the other two but I LOVED who/what is love interest ended up being. I won't post a spoiler other than saying...WIN.
Barbara
Jan 22, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
One of the things I particularly enjoyed about the "Sir Apropos of Nothing" Trilogy, is that while each book continues the story, each book can easily stand on it's own.
Jen
Feb 09, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok
I want to like this series--obviously, since I've read all three books of it now. And yet I just get so frustrated with how nearly nihilist the whole thing is. It is too bare, too sarcastic, too much. I am continually impressed by David's ingenuity in puns and wordplay--there are whole layers of meaning to place names, character names, innuendos, and side remarks that are groaners and gems and everything in between. In fact, I think his skill in reference is his greatest strength. But I need hop ...more
Jeffrey
Oct 07, 2011 Jeffrey rated it liked it
It's tough to know what to make of Peter David's third (and final?) foray into the misadventures of Sir Apropos of Nothing. Changing his setting from generic European fantasy to generic Asian fantasy enables him to go for low hanging fruits, get ready for multiple chin jokes, yet it's undeniable that he also reaches for loftier targets.

Most surprisingly, in between, Apropos grows as a character, something I had not expected. Indeed, Apropos' search for truth is what makes this volume entertaini
Ben
Mar 06, 2015 Ben rated it it was ok
Continues the trend from book two by doubling down on the jokes, referential humour and set pieces and putting character and plot in the back seat. It's kind of impressive, in a certain way, when puns are set up several chapters ahead of time. If nothing else, it shows a certain misguided dedication but there's obvious cases where the plot shaped to accommodate the puns. Although some of them are clever, mostly they're just tortuously forced into place and the book suffers for it.

The actual guts
Daniel
Mar 27, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the socially maladjusted
Recommended to Daniel by: Apropos
This misfit, mis-adventures of Sir Apropos continue in this third book by Peter David.
I'm a smartass at heart, snarky, sarcastic, sassy and facetious to the last word in every other sentence I spew.
I'm a stickler for puns; i love parody movies and half of every comedy Leslie Nielson ever stared in in the 80's and 90's The more I giggle at an inside joke or groan at a pun, the better I like them, and the artist that thought them up. Mr. Peter David must share my train (wreck) of though, for he's
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2011 Kimberly rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
I refuse to finish this book unless someone can first confirm if he ever manages to obtain some kind of redemption. I mean, even Thomas Covenant eventually manages a certain degree of self sacrifice for the greater good (although I can't recall what his motives were...) Surely Apropos can do the same? Even if by accident?

I can't help it. I like Apropros and I want very badly for him to be a redeemable character. I slogged through Sir Apropos of Nothing and Woad to Wuin hoping against hope that
Pandora
May 18, 2009 Pandora rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
The book was good until the end when it just self destruct on itself. The frist book had such promise but, after the next two it seems that my hopes for Aprpos and the author's are not the same. Even more disappointing is that this third book does not end the story as Apropos has yet to fulfill his destiny but, maybe that is the point. That the story is really not an anti-hero story but, an anti-story story. Great promise and great character but, it doesn't seem to go anywhere. So, now I'm going ...more
Charly
Aug 26, 2015 Charly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially fantasy fans.
This was the third of a very funny series by Peter David, following the exploits of Sir Apropos of Nothing. As is the case in the first two this is a send up of the fantasy/ knighthood tales that are out there.

Appropos has a way of stumbling into and out of danger that is as humorous as it may seem incredulous, but that is sort of the point.

If you are going to read these start with the first and read them in order. Although they stand alone back references just bring another smile to your face
David
May 06, 2008 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: completed
This book was a complete work of trash!!!! The author works in a pitifully poor "Lord of the Rings" parody with an obscene twist that wasn't even funny. This particular work was as LAME as the original book of the series was fun!

It just goes to show -- that an author will write any drivel, call it a sequel, and if it is in the fantasy genre-- some stupid editor will publish it so that there is a complete trilogy.. no matter how badly it is written, how non-unique, how poor in taste. National La
Kaylee
Oct 14, 2011 Kaylee rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this one. I loved it...right up until the last chapter. I have to say, it was the logical ending, and it was a satisfying conclusion in its way, but I was very disappointed that there was no happy ending for Apropos, after all he had gone through, and after coming so close so many times... I was upset that the series ended the way it did, but I guess that was the only way it could go.
Preston
May 29, 2013 Preston rated it really liked it
The third novel in this series has a lot of great character development for Apropos as he enters yet another new world where his bad luck and cynical attitude continue to entertain the reader. The author stuck to his pattern of having major plot twists near the end but I found I liked the second novel slightly more than this one.

Shout out to Jason Mortenson for buying me this series and me finally reading it four years later.
Felicia Jedlicka
Apr 07, 2015 Felicia Jedlicka rated it did not like it
where did you go wrong Peter? PAGE 4!!! What the hell in the first chapter you remove all possibility of a relationship with a character that we spent the entire second book falling in love with. This series was perfect until then. I loved that you offered nothing redeemable to your character, that was bold and refreshing, but how long could you really expect us to like him without someone to balance him. Years later and I am still fuming.
Sandra
Mar 21, 2013 Sandra rated it did not like it
Just....no. I'm not going to rate these. The author and I have such varying viewpoints of...basically everything, that it would be unfair of me to say these were bad books. Obviously, a lot of people thought well of them. But they were certainly not for me. After all three books, I still couldn't see any point to them except making me thoroughly despise the main character.
Leons1701
Nov 26, 2012 Leons1701 rated it liked it
A punish, slightly dark comedic fantasy that is somewhat wrenched awry by it's ending. The last chapter has a rather different tone from the rest of the book that I found rather jarring at first. On reading the last section again, it felt like a smoother transition than I'd first thought, but it still feels off.
Ryk Stanton
Dec 22, 2013 Ryk Stanton rated it really liked it
This is the third and last book in a wonderfully genius series; I hope he eventually comes back to write a fourth book (and even more). You should start with the first book of the series - it's a medieval fantasy mixed with subtle (and remarkable) humor. Apropos is the best sympathetic antihero I can think of - loved this book (and series).
Pedro Timoteo
Dec 17, 2009 Pedro Timoteo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-reread
As with the other 2 books in this series, it's both hilarious and insightful, with great / terrible puns, but gets very dark in the middle or ending (the latter, in this case). Couldn't recommend it more, but I'd love a sequel -- the story is far from over, here.
Anne
Jun 23, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Tong Lashing is filled with just as many puns and obscure references as the previous two books, some of them laugh-out-loud funny, some just absolute groaners. The ending was a bit too nihilistic for my taste, but all in all, relatively enjoyable.
Kim
Dec 17, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
Ken
Oct 13, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loved how the protagonist reflected on his past adventures, creating a context into which to grow within this tale. There were moments near the end when my heart was beating faster, waiting to see what he would do next. Unfortunately, the book ended badly, keeping it from a five-star review.
Edward Richmond
Jul 14, 2015 Edward Richmond rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humor
The first Sir Apropos of Nothing novel, eponymously titled, was quite humorous, in a bleak, black way. The second was more of the same, but suffered from the usual problems of sequels that don't really have anyplace to go.

This one resorts to jokes about ladyboys and racist puns for its humor.
Pam Brownlee
Dec 19, 2013 Pam Brownlee rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I read the entire series on some friend recommendations. The puns were clever, the writing was ok, even some of the supporting philosophy was nice. But the series had an overwhelming fatalism, and I didn't enjoy that.
Two Nerds Talking
As a student of martial arts and associated culture, this was my favourite Apropos book. Great humor, if a little dark at times
Ben Mason
Oct 18, 2011 Ben Mason rated it it was ok
Still had clever plays-on-words, but the plot was stupid and jarring with abrupt and stupid twists, including at the end, which just kind of, well, happens.
Steven Bulhoes
Steven Bulhoes rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
Sunaina
Sunaina rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Kyrissa
Kyrissa rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2010
Matthew Cannon
Matthew Cannon rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
  • Lady Sarah's Son (Historical Romance)
  • Salvage Merc One
  • The Tiger's Woman
  • Night Terrors (Shadow Watch, #1)
  • Crooked Hills
  • Village in a Valley
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2003
  • Alan Moore: Storyteller
  • Fine Blue Steele (Daggers & Steele, #4)
  • Flinx Transcendent (Pip & Flinx #14)
  • A Sharpness on the Neck (Dracula Series, #9)
  • Beanworld, Vol. 1: Wahoolazuma!
  • Sojourn: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #3)
  • Hunters of Gor (Gor #8)
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock, #12)
  • Spell Blind (Justis Fearsson, #1)
  • Oracle (The House War, #6)
  • Callahan's Con (The Place #2, Callahan's Series #9)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David...

Sir Apropos of Nothing (4 books)
  • Sir Apropos of Nothing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #1)
  • The Woad to Wuin (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #2)
  • Pyramid Schemes (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #4)